BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm actually SERIOUSLY stuck at this point!  

I stayed up late last night drawing out the plans and doing the calculations cost-wise.

To build my own...

The 2x4's, OSB, and plywood would be DIRT CHEAP!  Something like $400-$500 for the entire shed.  However then when you go to side it, T-111 basically triples the price of the shed!  Vinyl siding is slightly better but not by much.  In any case that's not including the roofing materials, paint, hardware.  So that looks like a no-go.

The pre-built wood kits are built REALLY cheaply.  2x3's and no OSB...it's like they ONLY use either the OSB...OR... t-111 (which looks like a variant since the inside looks like OSB and the outside is T-111. But I'd worry about the whole thing falling apart within 2-3 years.

Finally there's the vinyl sheds... the only one big enough in our price range is the US Leisure Stronghold at HD.  That we could easily do.  However, if the skylight leaks or the doors bow in a few years I'd have to file a claim and wait for the company to send me the replacement parts.  So I'd have to buy and throw a huge tarp over the shed just to protect it from the elements.

Oh and metal...no thanks, those are a bitch to fit together and I know I'd cut myself up.

Again, I'm not sure what to do here because I've money but I need this shed NOW and can't just keep saving to build my own.  Plus it'd be winter.  The pre-builts are small and cheaply made for what you get/pay.  The vinyl actually looks the most promising at this point so I'm going to go check it out this morning.  

ANY thoughts at this point would be much appreciated.

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please keep us posted on your progress. I will be looking to build one as well next year.

I stayed up late last night drawing out the plans and doing the calculations cost-wise.

To build my own...

The 2x4's, OSB, and plywood would be DIRT CHEAP!  Something like $400-$500 for the entire shed.  However then when you go to side it, T-111 basically triples the price of the shed!  Vinyl siding is slightly better but not by much.  In any case that's not including the roofing materials, paint, hardware.  So that looks like a no-go.

The pre-built wood kits are built REALLY cheaply.  2x3's and no OSB...it's like they ONLY use either the OSB...OR... t-111 (which looks like a variant since the inside looks like OSB and the outside is T-111. But I'd worry about the whole thing falling apart within 2-3 years.

Finally there's the vinyl sheds... the only one big enough in our price range is the US Leisure Stronghold at HD.  That we could easily do.  However, if the skylight leaks or the doors bow in a few years I'd have to file a claim and wait for the company to send me the replacement parts.  So I'd have to buy and throw a huge tarp over the shed just to protect it from the elements.

Oh and metal...no thanks, those are a bitch to fit together and I know I'd cut myself up.

Again, I'm not sure what to do here because I've money but I need this shed NOW and can't just keep saving to build my own.  Plus it'd be winter.  The pre-builts are small and cheaply made for what you get/pay.  The vinyl actually looks the most promising at this point so I'm going to go check it out this morning.  

Thanks

-Emt1581

Sheds are usually built with just t1-11 over the framing.  It acts as both the structural sheathing and as the siding.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I just spent over an hour at HD trying to figure things out.  I'm not thrilled with the outcome but it'll have to be the vinyl 10x8 (Stronghold).  

The kits were way to flimsy for the money, additional materials and work required.  But I did look through the box and the vinyl actually had some nice structure to it within the panels.  Not flimsy/cheap at all.  Plus I'll take some extra steps with the skylight to ensure it'd take a hell of a lot for it to leak.  

I do appreciate the replies.  Unfortunately I should have looked closer at the materials used for the wood kits as well as the price of buying things individually (in regard to going it myself).  And if I waited until spring I could definitely get the wood.  But then I'm wasting a LOT of time with the garages which I plan to build a work bench/shop area and get some work done on my vehicle over the winter in there.  

Thanks again, and I'm not buying the kit until tomorrow or Friday so feel free to share any last thoughts/ideas.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Sheds are usually built with just t1-11 over the framing.  It acts as both the structural sheathing and as the siding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please keep us posted on your progress. I will be looking to build one as well next year.

To build my own...

Thanks

-Emt1581

Really?  I figured it was how the kits cheaped out on the build quality.

Maybe I'll go back and re-do the numbers later.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#4]
This guy has a pretty detailed series of vids on building a shed - a bit more polished than what you need but will give you a good idea of a start-to-finish build.

The "LP Smart Panels" he uses is essentially the same as t-111.  It's just an engineered wood variant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L59JB8Wo5Kc&list=UUTBH787Za9pVJsC2PAXjA5Q
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Arfcom loves photos.

Note how I set it up to duplicate the trusses.

End pieces looked like a ladder till they got bolted on.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Forgot this one.  Note the 45 degree pieces for alignment.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you have an 84 lumber close by? I have an 12x20 that was a real good value. All 2x4 truses with good instructions.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To build my own...

Thanks

-Emt1581

Thanks

-Emt1581

Dammit man, make up your mind...  

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:20:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To build my own...

Thanks

-Emt1581

Thanks

-Emt1581

ARE YOU KIDDING?

"I'm working 3 jobs but I want a SVT Mustang", no "maybe a shed", "hotdog stands are the fastest 10k you will ever get."

Eh, just mixing a few EMT threads that come to mind. Good luck with the shed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#10]

LOL, I was going to say the same thing!  There is a pattern to follow here and I'm not talking blue prints.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I hauled 2.5 tons of stone this morning, raked out the foundation/base and am picking up the kit on Friday after work.   Should be complete by Saturday night.

Thanks to those who were helpful.  Unfortunately the from scratch approach was way over budget and the kits were the same (just poorly built).  So I'm going with the stronghold that will hopefully last a few years and is cheap by comparison.  In the future when funds/time allows and if the stronghold doesn't last I'll build my own without rushing to get it done for fall/winter.

Thanks again!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I hauled 2.5 tons of stone this morning, raked out the foundation/base and am picking up the kit on Friday after work.   Should be complete by Saturday night.

Thanks to those who were helpful.  Unfortunately the from scratch approach was way over budget and the kits were the same (just poorly built).  So I'm going with the stronghold that will hopefully last a few years and is cheap by comparison.  In the future when funds/time allows and if the stronghold doesn't last I'll build my own without rushing to get it done for fall/winter.

Thanks again!

-Emt1581
View Quote

Sounds like you made a good choice. It is hard to stay under budget on these projects, but a shed is worth it! I had some help from an ARF member about 2 years ago with building an 8x10 shed. His knowledge of construction was valuable. I wish now that I would have made this a 9x12 instead of 8x10, because it would have allowed for a larger front door for lawn equipment. For me it would also be worth having electric ran to it, instead of stretching an extension cord for a project, but I can do that another time if needed.

Good luck with your project!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Awesome.  Keep them coming.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#14]
You might put the word out that you will buy left overs from job sites.  just don't get mixed up with stolen product from scumbags.  

A couple sheets of plywood, a stack of 2x4's, a few square of shingles on the cheap and you are ahead of he home depot prices even if you have to buy the balance there.

Having a kit built building today is better than a stick built one never.  

Sometimes several outbuildings are better than one big one.  That way you can have a garden shed by the garden, a storage shed closer to the house.  I'm kind of leaning that way.  I need a garage and haven't decided on a foot print yet due to needing to rearrange the driveway yet.  I also want a tool shed/garden shed which is proximate to my above ground pool.  I could stick the pool junk there for the winter.  Not sure I'd go the pool cabana combo but it is an option.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Another update...

After the forklift guys taking close to two hours to load the damn thing, I now have my shed kit on a trailer in my garage!!

This is the one I bought.

I had my little guy with me so I couldn't go around and buy everything else for it.  I'll do that tomorrow.

Now for the best part!...

It was $749 in the store.  To make a long story short, I got them to match the online price of $649, take 10 percent off that and an additional $40 due to it being damaged (which was just some splinters missing from a piece of sheathing)....with tax and out the door I got it for $587.  

It's calling for 5 bundles of shingles, flooring, screws, roofing nails, etc...which will come to $273 out the door.  

So for $860 I got a brand new 10x10 wood shed!  Cheaper than the piece of shit resin one I was considering!  BTW, I figured out why it has such high reviews.  The people that just bought it rave about it.  But EVERY review that has had theirs 2-3 years is nothing but complaints!  Unlike the shed I bought which people seem to love aside from bitching about how hard it is to assemble and having to buy other supplies to build it.  

We'll see how the weekend goes... I have my brother on stand-by in case I need a hand.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I do have a bit of a logistics issue I could use some thoughts on.

I've got stone laid out to allow water to drain through and prevent the wood from sitting in it (back end of the property).  I've got a back yard (large).  I have a driveway (can fit several cars) (front of the property).  I have an empty garage ( again, front of property)...well...the shed on the trailer is in there now.  

How exactly do I...

1) Unload the shed so I can go get the rest of the stuff tomorrow morning?

2) Put it somewhere that I can build it right on top of the stone?

3) NOT subject it to the storm we're supposed to get Sunday?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Depending on how it's packaged, you may be able to pry up on it enough to get some pieces of pipe or wood fenceposts or something underneath for it to roll on, which would help out a lot.  Back the trailer up as close as you can get to where you want the kit to land, get some pipes under it, a couple dallies of rope around the end, secure it to something sturdy and drive the trailer out from under it.  Dunno, though... a pic of what you're dealing with would probably help spawn some ideas here.

Or lots of big, hefty friends and a case of beer....  
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Depending on how it's packaged, you may be able to pry up on it enough to get some pieces of pipe or wood fenceposts or something underneath for it to roll on, which would help out a lot.  Back the trailer up as close as you can get to where you want the kit to land, get some pipes under it, a couple dallies of rope around the end, secure it to something sturdy and drive the trailer out from under it.  Dunno, though... a pic of what you're dealing with would probably help spawn some ideas here.

Or lots of big, hefty friends and a case of beer....  
View Quote

Oh I can easily put it where I want it.  Just drive it wherever then unhitch the trailer and let it slide off.  Problem is, once I drop it off I can't pick it up except in pieces.  

I also can't do the pipe idea, though it is clever.  It's on these slats that would prevent it from rolling.  

Thanks though

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Oh I can easily put it where I want it.  Just drive it wherever then unhitch the trailer and let it slide off.  Problem is, once I drop it off I can't pick it up except in pieces.  

-Emt1581
View Quote

Unpacking & sorting everything out really isn't a bad idea anyway.  I have no idea of how these things are packaged, but I'm sure it's to make the most compact package without regard to the order you'll need to get at things as you go through the build.  Having your siding in one pile, studs in another, roof trusses (?) or rafters in another, etc. will probably make the assembly go quite a bit smoother.

I know... I'm in the middle of putting a metal roof on a building with a number of hips and valleys, with all the metal pre-cut to length.  It's like a giant puzzle, except all the pieces weigh 30-50 lbs and catch wind like a sailboat.  The stacking and restacking to have every sheet on top of the right pile when I need it has been one of the most time-consuming parts of the job.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Unpacking & sorting everything out really isn't a bad idea anyway.  I have no idea of how these things are packaged, but I'm sure it's to make the most compact package without regard to the order you'll need to get at things as you go through the build.  Having your siding in one pile, studs in another, roof trusses (?) or rafters in another, etc. will probably make the assembly go quite a bit smoother.
View Quote

This is actually what I was thinking about doing.  I could drive the trailer out back right near the stones, unpack, and sort out everything.  

But how to protect it from the elements/rain?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I got it!!

Unpack and sort it in the garage and then bring it down section by section as I'm assembling it.

It'd free up the trailer, protect the materials, and let me assemble the shed!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Tarps work too, if you find yourself needing more space.  I've had about $2K worth of 3/4" plywood and $5K worth of sheet metal under tarps in the yard for right at a year now (started this project last summer, but was interrupted by a very inconvenient heart attack).  I was actually more worried about the metal getting wet and corroding than the plywood getting soaked, but both stacks made it through a pretty harsh Missouri winter with nary a defect.

Good luck on the shed!  Hope you complete it in a more timely manner than my roof!  
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Tarps work too, if you find yourself needing more space.  I've had about $2K worth of 3/4" plywood and $5K worth of sheet metal under tarps in the yard for right at a year now (started this project last summer, but was interrupted by a very inconvenient heart attack).  I was actually more worried about the metal getting wet and corroding than the plywood getting soaked, but both stacks made it through a pretty harsh Missouri winter with nary a defect.

Good luck on the shed!  Hope you complete it in a more timely manner than my roof!  
View Quote

Yeah hard attacks can be a bother that way.  Glad you made it through ok.  

Thanks and yeah I plan to have this done in three days but realistically another weekend will probably be needed which is where the tarp will come in.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Unpacked it all.  I have to say, the lumber in this kit is significantly nicer than what I see at HD/Lowes!  Nothing is broke, warped, bowed, etc.  

Definitely a lot of odd sizing.  It's uniform in each size (all pieces that size are uniformly cut).  But instead of 2-4 different cuts there is 10+.  But I've looked at the plans and they seem pretty straight forward.  

So far so good!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:43:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Unpacked it all.  I have to say, the lumber in this kit is significantly nicer than what I see at HD/Lowes!  Nothing is broke, warped, bowed, etc.  

-Emt1581
View Quote

Straight and true lumber can easily make the difference between a hair-pulling construction fiasco and a project you walk away from saying "that was easy".  Sounds like the manufacturer has done their part, now you have to live up to your end of the deal.  Measure everything twice, keep things level and plumb, and if it says something has to be square, make it square... not "purdy close".  Small errors in accuracy have a way of magnifying themselves into sanity-threatening complications over the life of the project.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Straight and true lumber can easily make the difference between a hair-pulling construction fiasco and a project you walk away from saying "that was easy".  Sounds like the manufacturer has done their part, now you have to live up to your end of the deal.  Measure everything twice, keep things level and plumb, and if it says something has to be square, make it square... not "purdy close".  Small errors in accuracy have a way of magnifying themselves into sanity-threatening complications over the life of the project.
View Quote

This is why I'm using deck screws instead of nails.  Mistakes can be undone.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Today I finished the floor/platform.  

If the weather holds I'll do the roof trusses/gussets tomorrow and hopefully some of the walls.  Then Monday I'd like to put the walls up as well as the roof.  Then next weekend I can climb up and do the paper, shingles, and drip edge.  

Now the goal is to have this done by monday night.  But realistically it'll probably take all of next weekend.  

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Well my brother came over today to help me get the shed up.  He had experience doing them from the past.  Plus with construction, specifically roofing, he has more experience.  He went to NOLA after Katrina to help with the recovery.

We started at noon, took a break to try Little Caesars new Soft Pretzel pizza (which was amazing for being LC's!!!), and we finished up around 8pm.  Structurally it's up.  And I covered it with a thick tarp to protect the roof from rain.  But I still have to add some trim, install the doors, and paper/shingle the roof.  

I'm just amazed that we got it all up in one day!!  

I should have taken pics.  Maybe I'll snap some in the am.  

Just wanted to share the progress.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Looking forward to updates/pics

plan to do a shed of my own soon, but waiting to see what happens on Friday first - as no point building a shed then moving country !
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top