Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#1]
The data logging thing isn't going well. The Mrs is so busy with garden stuff, infant stuff and trying trying to keep the house going she doesn't do the greatest job of writing down everything she uses (and I don't blame her). I try in the evening to help go over the day and what we used, but it doesn't always happen as the nice days I am usually outside until it is time to shower and get ready for bed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#2]
In the past I have taken a quick look through the garbage to see what I used that day, obviously this was just kitchen garbage and not yucky stuff yet and it does depend on how you do things.

I am working on using a bunch of stuff up, had been using some up before moving but the move was a bit sudden.  Want to be able to get more and make rotation work out rather than the mess I would have now if I just bought some more stuff and did not have it halfway organized.

Place I rent has some things a bit different than I expected so storage is going in another spot and that does not happen instantly.

Anyway, I plan to check this every now and then and appreciate the posts.

It is astounding what it takes to not have to buy something for 2 weeks during normal living let alone a normal month.  And I am trying to look at vehicles, mowers, weed eater, food, clothes, footwear, uniforms, and on and on and on.

Some is easy, uniforms, and some is dang hard like vehicle fuel.  

Rationing makes it simple, but running at normal levels is what makes me really rethink some stuff and make some changes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

<snip>

Rationing makes it simple, but running at normal levels is what makes me really rethink some stuff and make some changes.
View Quote
YES!! So "easy" when you are in full ration mode, but for most "emergencies", you want to keep on keepin on as normal as possible. Makes it a bit harder.

We haven't been to the store yet, but I will be going to town today/tomorrow. I will replace the house wrap that I used up with the chicken coop (in the other topic going) and there are some good deals on cheap to free items at Menards (after their damn rebates ) that we get for Christmas gifts. We will also be getting fresh produce, as outlined earlier. I also may get supplies for turning a 55 gallon barrel into a fuel stand for gasoline, if I feel like another stop.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I must report we have scrapped the exercise to do it again later.

I have recognized that my wife is over-stressed right now. With a very demanding 3 month old, garden preservation, starting homeschooling this year, she is just doing her best to get food on the table and her best attempt to keep up with laundry and dishes. She does not have time to log everything she uses, nor to cook absolutely everything from scratch like normal.

She has been a trooper this year, and did no complaining (well, maybe a small bit of complaining when I came up with this idea ), but was overjoyed when I told her we could do this later. After Christmas, when we are at the height of cabin fever, we will run the exercise again. Our baby will be older, and we will have a good pattern down with homeschooling. Not to mention I won't be outside every day until dark with chores and projects.

So, we will go again this winter.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess it's too late for this suggestion, but couldn't you put the stuff in one place, then just take account of what's gone? That would be the stuff used.

I'm using up a lot of my older preps, to use them up for one thing, and to save money for another. I've been resupplying by only getting things on sale, except for the meat. I'm between hunt clubs so more venison is probably out. I got some beef on sale awhile back and canned it.

I'm glad I have food and other preps, it's really helping out now. I'm concerned about the price of restocking my food stores though.

I could start butchering and preserving all the people that insist there is some kind of "recovery" going on and how we are doing better now than ever before.  Or better yet, just feed them to the worms.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Wish we could, but room is at a premium at our small house. Takes superhuman powers just to neatly cram in what we have (and a lot of creative shelving locations).

What I can also report is that since we started until yesterday, we never went to town. I went yesterday, but 90% was for homeschooling supplies. We did get some grocery store items, but nothing that was critical, all just luxury items. Right now the Mrs needs some luxury item meals in the week until things calm down. Poor thing is a ball of stress at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, in an interesting turn of events, we are kind of doing this now for real. With Enterovirus D68 now confirmed in MN and still spreading like wildfire, we have decided that a full bugin is the order to prevent our two kids from getting it. We got in exactly 2 shopping trips after we cancelled our 1 month challenge. Both for fresh produce. This means we have been not getting supplies (other than fresh produce) since 8/26/14.

Since we do not know how long this will last, and Ebola getting in the states, we are doing our best to not dig into our supplies. We are abusing our Prime account, and may even have my mother (who is still out and about since she has no young kids left at home) get some things for us and we decon everything coming in as we have been doing for deliveries. From the articles I have read, the virus can last on dry, non porous surfaces UP TO 24 hours, so some things we decon with time, others with chemical methods.

On the plus side, my wife now is FULLY on board with supplies and growing our own food. She first tolerated it as a hobby/phase, then she tolerated it as storm outages, then she liked having a full pantry (she would joke she goes shopping in the pantry), now she is 100% on board with having things to bugin.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Still not going anywhere, using walmart.com and Amazon to resupply and not deplete our stock, decontaminating as appropriate.

A problem has risen that I don't know exactly how to fix: my back. I need a chiropractor so bad, but we aren't going anywhere yet. Traction has kind of helped, but my back is killing me.

Just a thought of how important your health is post SHTF.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Still not going anywhere, using walmart.com and Amazon to resupply and not deplete our stock, decontaminating as appropriate.

A problem has risen that I don't know exactly how to fix: my back. I need a chiropractor so bad, but we aren't going anywhere yet. Traction has kind of helped, but my back is killing me.

Just a thought of how important your health is post SHTF.
View Quote

Order a mobile ten's unit online.....get some Bio freeze or cryodrem. Have wife mausage your back. Stretch...ice....I - -broken though the day.
Find a chiropractor that's like minded.....
Luckily my dads one LOL

I blew my l4-5 ...have issues even two ++ years later....my fear is shtf I'm going urban prone behind the wood pile to cap dome mutant bikers and I get taken out by my own back exploding. Lmao

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#10]

I've used that Bio Freeze on the recommendation of my Podiatrist (for plantar fasciitis). That stuff worked wonders for my pain and recovery!

Hang in there `Rat --- we're all pulling for `ya!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys. Have the mobile tens unit thing, ehh, helps a bit for an hour or 2.

Have biofreeze, same effect as the electro shock therapy machine.

Going to look at fabricating some kind of better traction unit and give that a try. Had an inverting table. It helped my back, but gave me migraines (sinus issues).

I have a herniated disk, and my chiro has to REALLY put the pressure on to get it back in line.

Not complaining, just realizing my big weakness.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I hear ya....my leg cramps up ...numb toes etc on my left side from mine...its put a twist in the game from gear to fitness.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I hear ya....my leg cramps up ...numb toes etc on my left side from mine...its put a twist in the game from gear to fitness.

View Quote
Sucky thing about mine is that I will suddenly fall to the ground. I know the signs and usually have a 3-10 second "warning", but I drop like a brick. I can twist, snap crackle pop and get back up and be "fine", but its kind of weird looking when I do that in a store
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Bit of an update:

Still not shopping. It is a good time of year for this, though. Garden is producing, raspberries are producing, and FINALLY, the CHICKENS ARE LAYING EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!! Went to check them last night, noticed that they weren't getting food coming down in the feeder. Lifted the top, and there were 3 eggs in there! Don't know how the chicken got in such a small hole, but she did. I fixed the hole, and put all 3 eggs in a nesting box. This morning, there was 4 in there. Took out the fresh one, left the others in there to keep the chickens on the idea.

Eggs, berries, garden veggies, all produced on-site now. Turkeys keep coming up in the yard, will probably get a licence and hunt one for Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bit of an update:

Still not shopping. It is a good time of year for this, though. Garden is producing, raspberries are producing, and FINALLY, the CHICKENS ARE LAYING EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!! Went to check them last night, noticed that they weren't getting food coming down in the feeder. Lifted the top, and there were 3 eggs in there! Don't know how the chicken got in such a small hole, but she did. I fixed the hole, and put all 3 eggs in a nesting box. This morning, there was 4 in there. Took out the fresh one, left the others in there to keep the chickens on the idea.

Eggs, berries, garden veggies, all produced on-site now. Turkeys keep coming up in the yard, will probably get a licence and hunt one for Thanksgiving.
View Quote

you need some wooden eggs, you leave one in the nest and keep all the good ones
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
Never thought of wooden eggs!

<going to cut down a basswood branch and get mora knife out>
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Even most of the crazies on the TV program 'NAKED & AFRAID" make it for 3 weeks with nothing but a knife and fire-starter!    A month with a house full of everything should be EZ!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Even most of the crazies on the TV program 'NAKED & AFRAID" make it for 3 weeks with nothing but a knife and fire-starter!    A month with a house full of everything should be EZ!
View Quote
What is most difficult is maintaining everything to a point where we don't notice. THAT is what is harder. If we went into true just surviving mode, we would go for, well, long time. Maintaining normalcy gets interesting in the what week now? Haven't had lettuce in a long time, running out of fresh produce stores.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<going to cut down a basswood branch and get mora knife out>

Here we go:

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I think tj or someone had a sentance at the bottom of their posts about how we don't just prep to skip the astrodome, we prep to not notice the bumps in life.

I know that is pretty far off in wording, but close to concept.

Rationing when you know things are bad, you will go as long as you can go because there is no other way to do it.

But to live normally without access to stuff outside of what you already have, that is a big change.

If I can't keep my little brain occupied with stuff I get bored and want to go out and travel and do stuff and buy stuff.  If I come up with a project and keep myself busy I can stay home and save money.

How much a vacation costs me is where something like that comes into play.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I think tj or someone had a sentance at the bottom of their posts about how we don't just prep to skip the astrodome, we prep to not notice the bumps in life.

I know that is pretty far off in wording, but close to concept.

Rationing when you know things are bad, you will go as long as you can go because there is no other way to do it.

But to live normally without access to stuff outside of what you already have, that is a big change.

If I can't keep my little brain occupied with stuff I get bored and want to go out and travel and do stuff and buy stuff.  If I come up with a project and keep myself busy I can stay home and save money.

How much a vacation costs me is where something like that comes into play.
View Quote
Its just how far can you keep up "normal"? Since we only truly got into "prepping" about 2 years ago, I think things are going quite well .

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top