Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2014 8:31:31 AM EDT
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2703744/A-flame-thrower-uses-rabbit-manure-snipers-nest-home-stay-warm-50F-temperatures-The-elaborate-survival-plans-Americas-Doomsday-preppers.html

In the Appalachian Mountains Jane and Rick Austin begin removing their protective gear after completing their homemade pepper spray

In Texas, Roger and Jenni Dougan work on their bunker

In Grantsville, West Virginia, Rod Godfrey relaxes in his communications center
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
In the Appalachian Mountains Jane and Rick Austin begin removing their protective gear after completing their homemade pepper spray
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/24/article-2703744-1FE3000500000578-840_634x403.jpg
View Quote

Why in the world would you cook pepper spray in your house? Not to mention the way she's taking her gloves off.  If there is anything at all on that glove, she's gonna get it in her eyes the next time she touches them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why in the world would you cook pepper spray in your house? Not to mention the way she's taking her gloves off.  If there is anything at all on that glove, she's gonna get it in her eyes the next time she touches them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/24/article-2703744-1FE3000500000578-840_634x403.jpg

Yeah, she's not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, is she? But then, that seems to be de rigueur for that show.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]
idiots, all of them
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I enjoyed the guy who was prohibited from owning firearms and demonstrated his on the show.
Apparently he didn't think the Sheriff watched tv.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I enjoyed the guy who was prohibited from owning firearms and demonstrated his on the show.Apparently he didn't think the Sheriff watched tv.

View Quote

Good ole Mr. Apex Predator.

Another good one was the guy in Texas who cried like a girl when his friend lit off the rifle inside their blind.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]
It is a lesson in failing OPSEC and PERSEC .
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

NatGeo is vilifying, and portraying preppers as nut-jobs.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently, more than 1 or 2 of them are exactly that. Call a spade a spade.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If it's surprising that anyone associated with a media outlet wants prepper/self sufficiency minded folks to be seen as a dangerous, nigh-criminal public safety risks by the public at large, please post a picture of your hiding rock.

OPSEC, PERSEC, admit nothing, deny everything, make counter accusations.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I grew some habaneros out in the garden one year. Well, we thought to drizzle them with some olive oil and put them on the oven on 225 to roast them and then planned on freezing them for soups, Chilis, what have you.

Made a quick run to the store while they were roasting and come back home. When we opened the front door, oh my god! It had permeated the house and was overwhelming. I turned off the oven and opened the house up and left for a few hours.

Lesson learned.

Lol

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Guy shot his thumb off this weekend.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They choose those people very carefully.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/Qth1k962_9A
View Quote

Shit hasn't even hit the fan yet and the guy is already shooting himself.  How hard is it to not put shit in front of the barrel or keeping your finger off the trigger.  Shit apparently I can handle firearms 1000x better with alcohol than this dumbass can being serious.

I wouldn't mind if their 'evaluation panel' discussed ideas.  But the idea of finding retards and evaluating them is just dumb, but dumb sells...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:18:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Shit hasn't even hit the fan yet and the guy is already shooting himself.  How hard is it to not put shit in front of the barrel or keeping your finger off the trigger.  Shit apparently I can handle firearms 1000x better with alcohol than this dumbass can being serious.

I wouldn't mind if their 'evaluation panel' discussed ideas.  But the idea of finding retards and evaluating them is just dumb, but dumb sells...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who says their "evaluation panel" is any different?

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:30:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
... put them on the oven on 225 to roast them

...Made a quick run to the store...
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:46:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Try dehydrating ghost and haberneros ....talk about smell...then try grinding them with an electric coffee grinder and for get your AC vent is blowing in your direction LOL.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:52:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

And that same ass clown has a column in a "survival magazine" and was called "King of Survival" in one of their issues- ain't that a frickin riot!!!

I'm not very impressed with people that have just bought a bunch of crap, show me where you changed your LIFESTYLE habits to increase your survival potential. Show me where you moved away from the city, show me where you have taken some responsibility for your own power, food, water, health, education. Show me where you started looking at and improving the way you make decisions, the way you think. Show me your regular fitness program. Show me where you are willing to get your arse kicked a little bit to learn H2H. Show me where you have suffered a little bit to learn something.

Hell, just show me that you disconnected the frickin cable for a couple years.... You will have done more than most "preppers" out there if you do these things.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
And that same ass clown has a column in a "survival magazine" and was called "King of Survival" in one of their issues- ain't that a frickin riot!!!

I'm not very impressed with people that have just bought a bunch of crap, show me where you changed your LIFESTYLE habits to increase your survival potential. Show me where you moved away from the city, show me where you have taken some responsibility for your own power, food, water, health, education. Show me where you started looking at and improving the way you make decisions, the way you think. Show me your regular fitness program. Show me where you are willing to get your arse kicked a little bit to learn H2H. Show me where you have suffered a little bit to learn something.

Hell, just show me that you disconnected the frickin cable for a couple years.... You will have done more than most "preppers" out there if you do these things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well put Lowdown. A closet of mountain house and an ammo fort means almost nothing. Although i do enjoy the ammo fort .

There are lunatics in any demographic. NatGeo is just cherry picking the morons. Makes for good TV. I don't know any REAL person who has any remote understand of OPSEC that would go on national TV and oust themselves.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well put Lowdown. A closet of mountain house and an ammo fort means almost nothing. Although i do enjoy the ammo fort .

There are lunatics in any demographic. NatGeo is just cherry picking the morons. Makes for good TV. I don't know any REAL person who has any remote understand of OPSEC that would go on national TV and oust themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But but you can then brag how cool you are...on your online store /blog etc. Or use it to market your get rich gizmo (krovel) ...

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#20]
The worst one so far IMHO was the fat POS that was going to perform a ciserian on his wife in a barn.  Makes his own body armor and then gets arrested after the showing because he is a convicted felon with firearms.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been to several locations with Nat Geo Doomsday Preppers casting agents and camera crews.  We usually do a prep brief prior to them getting on location, and the overall message is - "if you find yourself looking in to the lens of the camera - you just became THAT GUY."  I have witnessed them walk past several hundred normal looking people and pull the 'crazy cat lady' out of the back corner and put her on camera.  At one show in California our booth was across from 'I shot my thumb off' guy above.  It made for a very interesting day.  

Reality TV = sensationalism.  NatGEO is NOT doing us any favors.  Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
But but you can then brag how cool you are...on your online store /blog etc. Or use it to market your get rich gizmo (krovel) ...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

On ARFCOM

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

But you can then brag how cool you are...on your online store /blog etc. Or use it to market your get rich gizmo (krovel) ...

View Quote

ZING!!  Or your bug-out trailer, fishing kit in a watch, etc.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I used to think that I was fairly knowledgeable about safe firearms handling, but, after seeing the above video, I clearly have some more things to learn.  Could someone please enlighten me as to the nature of the "malfunction" that results in one of your hands being in front of the muzzle of your pistol?  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I used to think that I was fairly knowledgeable about safe firearms handling, but, after seeing the above video, I clearly have some more things to learn.  Could someone please enlighten me as to the nature of the "malfunction" that results in one of your hands being in front of the muzzle of your pistol?  Thanks in advance!
View Quote

I'm pretty sure the "misfire" occurred when he gripped the fore end, dangled his thumb in front of the barrel, and pulled the trigger.

Looks like they were only shooting 10/22s.
I would have loved to have seen his hand after placing it in front of a 7" 5.56 barrel and pullign the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just to sate my curiousity, what magazine?

ETA: Holy crap I had no idea this guy is this popular. He's really marketing the hell out of himself.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#27]
WAIT! let them be. If Nat Geo makes survivalists look like a bunch of inbred morons, then those of us who don't fit that profile to our friends and neighbors are much better off. Nobody would expect a "normal" guy to be a survivalist kook. We need to blend in with our communitys, and laugh at the suckers on TV. Remember, they violated their own  OPSEC & PERSEC, let them take the falls.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#28]
REMEMBER the beginning of the Tea Party movement - how the genuine patriots policed their own and were hyper vigilant to spot the fakes - who really did show up with camera crew in tow hoping to mix and mingle with their racists or nutjob signage or t-shirts? We had signs reading "not real tea party" or "fake plant".

It scared them off to be spotted. No nut jobs to paint as representative of the movement, the media needed to go to option two, which was just call them racist anyway but not show the crowds. It's how they got to show the guy with the AR but not revealing his skin color (black) to paint the crowd as hill billy racist nut jobs.

Same happens for the pro-life movement. 40 million people involved over 44 years.....250,000 people show up at March for Life every year since 1973..... and of all those people less than 1 dozen nut jobs, NONE affiliated with any pro-life group, resorted to violence against the over 1,000 abortion clinics in the country. But somehow that was enough to paint the entire movement as 'violent'. 99.9999% of your group is more peaceful than the "peace movement" but you get painted as so dangerous there needs to be 'buffer zones' around clinics! (meanwhile "peacemovement" folk routinely resort to violence, breaking and entering, assault and battery of counter protesters etc.)...

It's all about perceptions and faking PR to make people look bad for the low information public.

If the powers that be like something - then it gets the Disney mainstreaming treatment. If they dislike something, it gets either totally blacked out, ignored OR it gets the Nat'Geo 'look at these savages' treatment.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Like I posted in the GD thread on the return of Doomsday Preppers, if you guys want to watch a show that has actual prepping related information with a much lower quotient, take a look at America Unplugged on Sportsman Channel.

That's the show we should be supporting for viewership, not Doomsday Preppers. Has plenty of good information with no apex predators or cat herding.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did he say "It was ones of those malfunctions where you get your thumb in front of the barrel"
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Let's see, so far they've had the "crovel"* guy who shot his thumb off, the fat guy in the coonskin hat who had all his guns taken away by the state, and of course the RSO who was busted for felon-in-possesion.

I saw a review on the crovel here, it broke the first time the reviewer used it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Let's see, so far they've had the "crovel"* guy who shot his thumb off, the fat guy in the coonskin hat who had all his guns taken away by the state, and of course the RSO who was busted for felon-in-possesion.
I saw a review on the crovel here, it broke the first time the reviewer used it.

View Quote
It might have broken, and the guy might be a complete idiot...but I was surprised by his supply website. He's definitely branding himself.  Just wait, he'll probably have his own reality show before long.

Whatever happened to that "combat engineer" knucklehead with the castle?

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:04:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It might have broken, and the guy might be a complete idiot...but I was surprised by his supply website. He's definitely branding himself.  Just wait, he'll probably have his own reality show before long.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched part of the first episode. I felt dumber for having wasted my time.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:15:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
WAIT! let them be. If Nat Geo makes survivalists look like a bunch of inbred morons, then those of us who don't fit that profile to our friends and neighbors are much better off. Nobody would expect a "normal" guy to be a survivalist kook. We need to blend in with our communitys, and laugh at the suckers on TV. Remember, they violated their own  OPSEC & PERSEC, let them take the falls.
View Quote

Yes, but they do give everyone else a bad name. I've noticed that since this show started, the first thing most average people think of when you mention any kind of preparedness, let alone say the word "survivalist" is "oh... like doomsday preppers.." and then you have to start explaining the differecence between what you do and well,..that.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:25:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Between the guy shooting thumb off, the guy crying like a lil girl at the shooting in the look out post to the idiots that blow OpSec completely outa the water..The one group does a western village for the public and then went on to explain where all their goods are, what tactics they are using etc etc.

No one I know would even think about being on that show.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:03:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes, but they do give everyone else a bad name. I've noticed that since this show started, the first thing most average people think of when you mention any kind of preparedness, let alone say the word "survivalist" is "oh... like doomsday preppers.." and then you have to start explaining the differecence between what you do and well,..that.
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

But ""preppers "" is safe by the water cooler at work speak LOL ....8+ years ago people lunged at the chance to distance themselves from the label "survivalist "".....some of us who've been at this longer said eventually the media would be that downfall like it was to "survivalist " I the late 80- early 90s...

I'm a PMI (preparedness minded individual) .... so watch of Nat Geo lmao

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

But ""preppers "" is safe by the water cooler at work speak LOL ....8+ years ago people lunged at the chance to distance themselves from the label "survivalist "".....some of us who've been at this longer said eventually the media would be that downfall like it was to "survivalist " I the late 80- early 90s...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Oh so true on all accounts!  I like to think of myself as a modern homesteader who has some emergency supplies.  I also enjoy bushcraft and dabble in wilderness survival tactics.  Truth be told I could be considered any of the above...  Prepper, Survivalist, Bushcrafter, Homesteader... Reality is I don't care.  I don't prep for TEOTWAWKI any ways, just realistic emergency situations I could be faced with, anything more then that the chips will fall and I will do my best.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The worst one so far IMHO was the fat POS that was going to perform a ciserian on his wife in a barn.  Makes his own body armor and then gets arrested after the showing because he is a convicted felon with firearms.
View Quote

Oh, yeah, the Apex Predator.  Wonder when he will be on Naked and Afraid.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good one.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Good one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good one.

And don't show any pix....  

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet he's naked and afraid in the prison showers.

BTW, there was an awesome 10+ pg thread in GD when the show aired. Photoshops, A-rocking, and aerial pics of his house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top