Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2014 1:07:48 AM EDT
Canned meat comparison. Yoders vs Keystone
Has anyone tried either of these companies? Which one did you like and why?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3C1RNC1N9NVMY

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3QT5A3E30OMFB
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:08:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Links fail.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Links fail.
View Quote

Yeppers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Werling and Sons inc. in Burkettsville Ohio produces the canned meat for Survival Cave, Yoders and many others. If you want to start your own store brand, they will use your label and sell you as many cases as you desire. The individual can also order as many or few cases as he needs. (They will have Werlings own label on the cans.)

You can mix and match cans of meat in the same case. They are 28 Oz. cans of beef, chicken, turkey, pork or hamburger. I purchased cans from different places and labels until I found out that buying from Werlings was cutting out the middlemen and the price increase that they added.

Check the USDA code on the cans. Each producer has a registered code number. The code numbers on the cans are all the same. The only difference will be the lot numbers and the labeling. Try them, you will find that the prices are lower.

I have not tried Keystone canned meats, I am pleased enough with Werlings that I just order from them now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's their link with prices. how do they stack up?

LINK

Bacon?

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:30:14 AM EDT
[#5]
How is the hamburger?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:47:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Werling and Sons inc. in Burkettsville Ohio produces the canned meat for Survival Cave, Yoders and many others. If you want to start your own store brand, they will use your label and sell you as many cases as you desire.
View Quote

Group buy on Genuine ARFCOM Canned Bacon, anyone?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:05:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here's their link with prices. how do they stack up?

LINK

Bacon?

View Quote

I didn't see bacon.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#8]
links are bad, OP.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Meijers (Major grocery chain, also called Fred Meyer on the west coast) carries Keystone locally. I have found the pork to be okay, the turkey ... okay ..., and the beef to be an absolute standout-probably the best tasting canned meat I have ever tried.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:14:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you.  That is exactly the info I was looking for.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#11]
i have tried the keystone beef and chicken they are great, my wife felt that the keystone hamburger was a little strong, i did not notice this, have not tried the turkey or pork.  good to have around, add some taco flavoring and instant tacos just heat and eat. we liked the beef mor e than the chicken tacos.

alex
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I use the Keystone chicken mixed with Cream of chicken with mushroom for shredded chicken sandwiches. I mix the Beef with a good BBQ sauce for shredded beef sandwiches. Been using Keystone for a few years for dinner and lunch.
I have some of the hamburger for sloppy joes but haven't used it yet. The beef and chicken are great. I get them at Walmart. $6.28 per 28oz can= $3.59 per pound.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Werling and sons for sure.  Cheaper in the store front.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Walmart has keystone and lots of it. Just recently though, Walmart is carrying their own canned meat.

Regardless, we use keystone in soups all the and it works great. There are no additives in the keystone.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Went to W-M, couldn't find any Keystone meats...

Any SKU or product numbers?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#16]
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Keystone-All-Natural-Beef-28-oz/22309254

This is too much for a big pot of soup so my wife uses half and freezes the other half for later.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#17]
The beef is fantastic with rice and tortillas.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#18]

The [BBQ] seasoned pork from Werlings is outstanding. Nom nom nom....
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Anyone know who makes the large cans of roast beef at Costco?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I thought "Keystone" only made beer

Having never tried Keystone or Yoders beef, here is my contribution:

Hormel Roast Beef & Gravy , SKU- 3760043644

Comes in a 12oz can, has a printed shelf life of roughly 2.5 years, and is delicious! Find it at wally world, next to the tuna (canned meat aisle) every-time I go shopping, they are nearly sold out....I mean, if one or two cans are left in a case you are lucky!

Better try both versions out, settle on the best before you put down a ton of money and buy cases worth.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/DSC01040-300x225.jpg

Anyone know who makes the large cans of roast beef at Costco?
View Quote

The canned roast beef that comes close is Butterfield:

Butterfield Farms Roast Beef in Beef Broth, 12 oz

Kirkland is a  products of the USA (or so they say) and Butterfield is Argentina (inspected in USA), both taste/look very similar (I have had both) and oddly enough they are really the only brands (that I know of) that come packed in "Beef Broth", you see the other major brands "Hormel",  "Libbys", "Hereford", "ALPO ", all come packed in "GRAVY".

Also, the nutritional facts are also VERY similar, these store brands foods always interest me....It is amazing how much money you can save buying identical product in a different package, for instance.....Aldi's carry's a lot of the Kirkland branded food, whats up with that damn $50 Costco membership?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#22]
edit
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Guys, I use keystone all the time for soup. Yes, that white solid is the same thing you get when you put roast in the fridge.

Now, that said...it is for soup. I have not tried it for other recipes. But, keep in mind, when the crap hits the fan, you don't want tacos or italian beef sandwiches. You want something that is filling, healthy and has substance to it.

One plan we have is if things go south, we will be down to 2 meals a day one small and one medium. Soup will likely be everyday.

Regardless, the fat is from the roast. I want that in my soup....YUM
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got plenty of Yoders, and after opening a can I can say that my dogs love it!!!!!  Obviously it's cooked in the can but the grade must be one notch above dog food - like McDonalds.  It's no longer considered to be part of our long term food storage.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:11:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
NOT MY PIC (found on another forum), hope this is okay!

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u142/panoz77/DSC05711.jpg

Looks like they pack the beef with fat, here it is with some fat removed:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u142/panoz77/DSC05712.jpg

Some type of vegetable mix added:
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u142/panoz77/DSC05713.jpg

Reviews indicate it is good to go, I will have to buy some and give it a try.........We need a solid review on this stuff, because the photos make it look terrible
View Quote

No, it's all good. That fat is supposed to be there. It tastes great, just heat it up.

Have you ever cooked meat that didn't have some of it's fat separate from the meat and show up as an oil film or pool in the bottom of the pan? That fat is valuable today for flavor and REALLY valuable after SHTF for calories and to be reused for cooking or to make oil lamps.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The [BBQ] seasoned pork from Werlings is outstanding. Nom nom nom....
View Quote

If I were to have that again, I'd want to mix it with some more pork-the sauce was too sweet for me to really enjoy it. Not bad, but not something I might look foward to when I'm not missing meals.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:35:21 AM EDT
[#27]
that stuffs crazy expensive compared to dak canned ham etc
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:48:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
that stuffs crazy expensive compared to dak canned ham etc
View Quote

It is, but it's in a different league though. As good as DAK is compared to SPAM, it's still pretty close to being SPAM.

I picked up some of the hamburger tonight to try, looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:20:31 AM EDT
[#29]
I keep buying the hamburger crumbles @ WalMart.  Drain the juice, heat up for 60 sec in the microwave, throw pepper on it, it's pretty good.  Am trying to learn to enjoy canned meats other than tuna.  WalMart has some edible canned salmon & herring.  I can't eat the anchovies yet.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:42:05 AM EDT
[#30]
The Keystone is pretty good.  I've only ever seen the beef and chicken in the store.

The chicken is good, but essentially the same as the other canned chicken like Sweet Sue or whatever.

The beef is great though.  Makes a good base for soup, stew, stir fry, or whatever you want to throw together.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#31]
One of these:

mixed with a package of Ramen noodles is very tasty and filling.

Lots of sodium, though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow. I can't believe nobody in this thread suggested canning your own. I also don't believe the prissy pants that turned up their nose at meat cause it had a little fat in it. Stew meat has fat in it, get over it. Fat adds flavor.

I just canned 19 pints of beef, and 2 chickens. To go with the rest of my canned meat. I've eaten 5 year old meat and it tasted great!

I like to make gravy with the meat, then add the meat, add sour cream, add some schrooms, season to taste. Serve over noodles. Almost instant stroganoff. I like maggis and kitchen bouquet seasoning.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#33]

21 pints of stew beef. Yes, there's a little fat on top. It can be scraped off.

I'll probably can some more tomorrow. It's a lot easier to open a jar of already cooked meat than thaw something out, although I do have meat in my freezer as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#34]
That looks damn good, gitarmac.

One question about canning meat: Doesn't the fat limit shelf life? I read somewhere that home-canned meat should have as little fat as possible, because fats/oils can go rancid even in a sterile enviroment.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#35]
The venison is really lean. I've read stuff about fat on meat but the stew meat is kind of fatty. So far it's tasted great. I don't keep the beef as long as the venison. Still, it's tasted just fine after years. It won't have botulism in it at any rate.

The commercial canned stuff has fat in it as well. It has the advantage of being protected from light. I keep mine in a dark room.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:15:22 AM EDT
[#36]
no recipe?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Bump
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top