[#2]
Take a look Here
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#3]
By the time you cut the barrel,

re-install the bead,

shorten the stock and re-attach the pad,

add sling swivels...

You're within 50-75.00 bucks of a used clone pump such as a Stevens 350 or a Hawk.

I did it and...meh.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Google up Graybeard outdoors.

More than you'll ever want to know.

I sent one of mine back to Marlin for a new barrel during the Remington takeover. Clusterfuck of the first order.

I didn't mess with mine much after that. 243 single shot with a bull barrel and a Nikon Monarch scope. It just wasn't as accurate as it should have been. I was looking for something to clean coyotes at 300 yards in adverse conditions as well as a deer rifle for my kids. It will be fine for 100-150 yard shots on deer, but I don't know that I have much faith in it beyond that. I could tinker with it some more, but why when I could put that money into a new AR that will shoot circles around it in a stock configuration.

I have a much older one in 22 Hornet. The trigger is probably 8lbs, but omg - a fun and fairly accurate little rifle. More thump than a 22mag, but with a lot less report. Falls in the gap between the 22 mag and 223.

My dad was shooting at an armadillo with his 17hmr and he was just basically wounding the thing, I picked up the hornet and literally blew the ass out of it - DRT.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
By the time you cut the barrel,

re-install the bead,

shorten the stock and re-attach the pad,

add sling swivels...

You're within 50-75.00 bucks of a used clone pump such as a Stevens 350 or a Hawk.

I did it and...meh.

YMMV.

View Quote

My NEF Pardner Pump is basically a $180 clone of my 870. Functions 100% so far, as does the 870, and kills ducks just as dead. If I drop it in the river I won't feel quite as bad.

I screwed around with H&R Single shots a few years ago, good solid guns, but for the weight and price there are much better options, especially for hunting.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]
The biggest plus in my mind is not for hunting on a bug out, but as a cheap beater gun to leave in the garage or shop for a last ditch defense gun. A nice short stock and a fiber optic bead sight installed correctly would be pretty quick with a cylinder bore and OO buck in a flight control wad.

I would put $50 into a project like that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#7]
So, give us some info!  What gauge/caliber would help.

The 12 gauge Topper kicks like a mule with stout 2 3/4" loads.  That's not "where it's at" with Toppers, though.  Find some milder, cheap bulk factory shotshells w/ mediocre shot.  They pattern well in the 12 gauge.

I have slings on most of my shotguns.  Uncle Mikes QD swivels, lightweight 1" or 7/8" nylon sling.  That's it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#8]
With the synthetic stock and a couple of dead mules glued inside, mine will do the job, but it's not my favorite.  The only reason I did it was the gun was $40, the stock was free (won a gift cert, needed something else to fill out the order) and the dead mules were (both) free (from a shop that removed them from trade in guns).
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an NEF 20ga smooth bore that I cut to 18.5" and left the stock at factory length. Standing on end, it's shorter than a regulation Louisville Slugger. I didn't bother reinstalling the bead sight, it's purpose in life is a defensive tool for the times I am not home but my family is. Wife knows where it is, and to pull the hammer to the rear, aim center mass, pull trigger. I keep a box of extra shells close by as well.

There was a similar thread a while ago where a poster showed how to modify the screw on the handguard into a thumbscrew, which makes it much easier to break the shotgun down into halves for discreet transport.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I might try to find a beater 12 ga for a project.  Might work out to be a useful project.  Not to carry for bug out but for another tool in the box.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's mine.

NEF 12 ga receiver that I had fitted with a 24" barrel, a Choate survivior stock and forearm, 5 round shell holder, and homemade para cord sling.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:02:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is mine, it was given to me free, from someone who no longer wanted it. Her husband had left her and moved away, so she no longer wanted it.  It is an H&R 1900 12 GA. When I got it, it had a 28 inch bbl, was covered in a thick layer of patina and the stock was black from years of dirt as well as the forearm.  I sanded them off, bleached out the wood, and refinished them, Cut down the bbl to 19 inches, added a paracord sling, and then sandblasted and parkerized all the metal parts.  Did it all in my garage.  Only thing left I need is a shell holder for the butt-stock.

This is what I got :)  Shot it and I am pretty happy with it.  It will make a decent truck gun, as I would not want to put my more expensive shotguns in there for any length of time.  BTW that "line" in the stock, is actually in the wood grain itself.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine started out in pretty bad shape, cleaned it up, chopped it down and gave it a quick paint job. Added a shell caddy to the stock and have since added a new front bead, limbsaver and sling. Even being 20 gauge these things still kick like a mule.

Good truck/snake gun, but really that's about it unless you are on a tight budget. Thought about trying turkey hunting with mine, but then thought better.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's my NEF 12 ga. SB1:

It has a 10 1/4" barrel on it. (Yes, it is a registered SBS.) Below it is a 9 1/4" barreled o/u 12 ga. AOW.

I wouldn't recommend 3" slugs through a 10" 12 ga, though I've done it once or twice. I usually stick to 2 3/4" reduced recoil rounds.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:27:16 AM EDT
[#16]
If you want a real good time shoot some turkey loads out of the 10 gauge version.

I had one, then I sold that sucker. I thought it was going to detach my retinas.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:49:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Best attachment for front swivel? With the thin forearm on these I would be comfortable trying to locate it in the wood. Uncle Mikes (or anyone else) offer a barrel ban sling swivel attachment point?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:01:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I would look around for a Stevens 520 or 620. They can be had for $125-$150, break down into two pieces for unobtrusive transport, and you have six chances instead of one. They are built like tanks. You don't have to spend a lot to get a lot. I did a thread on it: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_1/427207_Ultimate_Stevens_620____Title_change.html
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Can anybody recommend a recoil pad for the nef shotguns?
This thing is stout with target loads. I'm sure slugs, or 18 pellet buckshot loads are going to be comical (as a spectator).
It's got a 3.5" chamber...
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#20]
This is my early 1980s vintage H&R Topper in 12 gauge. I chopped the barrel to ~22" and added a TruGlo fiber optic front bead, plus a slip-on Pachmayr Decellerator recoil pad. Even with the pad, recoil with 2-3/4" Herters Multi-Defense loads is nasty. One of these days I'll pick up some Aguila mini shells to try in it.

This is a Model 158 Topper in 20 gauge that I refinished the stock, added a sling, butt cuff, and slip-on pad, and made a storage cavity in the butt. I left the barrel full length because this is a hunting gun, and wanted to retain the choke. Even with the 26" barrel, it's very light and fast.

What I keep in the stock:

The Peanut lighter acts as a weight to drop the tarred bank line through the barrel so I can then drag a patch through.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top