Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You guys wanna lose weight?   Try the Paleo diet
View Quote

That's what I did and didn't have to worry about the calories.  Get hungry, eat some protein.  I fell off the wagon and have gained some weight.  I need to get back on the program.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You guys wanna lose weight?   Try the Paleo diet
View Quote

Carbophobe diets aren't for everybody.

They make me feel like shit.  Having tried both for extended periods,  I'll take a balanced diet that includes carbs with reduced caloric intake any time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I am trying to eat low carb to keep my blood sugar down..... it sucks

no rice, potatoes, bread items, pasta, or sugared items

Some fruit is on the no fly list as well.

The bad part is that when my blood sugar is down, my weight goes up.

If I eat the bad stuff, my blood sugar goes up, and my weight drops.

FML

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
My current diet is consisting of .75 gram of protein per pound of body weight. That's 165 grams of protein mixed with local dairy cheese, yogurt, and fruit. A lot of black beans with avocados and salsa mixed.

I am eating on average 3000 calories per day and I am shreading the fat. I still weigh the same but the body fat is coming off. I am always hungry, always drinking water, and working hard at work.

I did the whole don't eat but 1000 calories a day and yes I did loose weight. I looked good but was always lethargic. I lost 75lbs in 6 months and after that, I couldn't do it anymore. If I am going to live on this earth, I am going to eat what I want.

I let Saturday and Sunday to be my cheat days to help keep my sanity.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Just for some perspective, and depending on which source you believe, 1100-1300 calories per day is what most prisoners at Auschwitz got.  The survivors emerged rather unhealthy.

Obese people can lose a lot of weight fairly quickly with that kind of intake.  It's debatable whether or not that approach is wise or healthy or tends to lead to sustainable weight loss.  But in any case the OP was in the context of "extending preps" ... when it comes to calories needed, there's a world of difference between laying in your fallout shelter sleeping 20 hours per day, and hunting alien predators on the surface of a post-apocalyptic wasteland.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
most people will lose weight fairly rapidly on such a diet.

a few men are very resistant to weight loss and cannot lose weight above even 800 calories a day.

a few women have to drop into the 400 calorie per day diets to lose weight.

very few (if any) people would be getting appropriate levels of at least some nutrients from such a diet without supplements. however, nutritional deficiency diseases tend to take a long time to become debilitating.

IMO being "forced" into such a diet implies you might well have little choice in what you eat and would have to take what you can get.
View Quote

Physics and biology would dictate otherwise.  Even sleeping all day would burn more than 400 calories.  And it is impossible to put on weight if you are not in-taking a net positive of consumable energy (aka calories).

Dieting is not magic.  It is simply to burn more calories than you consume while maintaining a well balanced diet.  Fad diets/miracle pills/etc only play on an idiot's desire to lose weight with the minimal amount of work and most are unhealthy in some manner over a long enough time.  Moderation in everything... Except bacon.

The hard part is the will power to follow the diet.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]

And I've lived on one MRE a day for a month. It was a fun time but we were so hungry we were starting to come unhinged.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Jesus. I just finished reading the thread. How many people in here have had their RMR measured by a professional? Bodpod test? Anything scientific at all? I burn 2900 calories per day lying down in bed. Also, any time someone says they're on a 1k cal a day diet, I have my doubts. Call me when you start sweating ammonia.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://a.pomf.se/yorxlc.jpg

And I've lived on one MRE a day for a month. It was a fun time but we were so hungry we were starting to come unhinged.
View Quote

That was basically what my first diet was framed on. Maximum amount of energy expended with minimal caloric intake. All the water I could drink.

I got myself into some real trouble a couple of times. I went up to the track and ran 3 miles on only three eggs, a cheese stick and an orange all day long. I passed out because of my blood sugar dropped to nothing. My wife had to pour Gatorade down me to get me coherent again. I was really really stupid when I did that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I buy it at the local Indian grocery. They have about a dozen varieties of dal (split pea) and a number of related peas / beans (chori beans, moong beans) that are basically the same thing. I usually look for whichever is cheapest for the largest quantity, when I shop.  I can almost always find some for $4-$5 per 8 lb bag. They also have rice at $11 for 25 lbs.

It's great for like term dry storage, much like rice:

http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpa1/t51.2885-15/926917_678218142223123_230612327_n.jpg http://photos-d.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/926677_198681660342059_1148808106_n.jpg http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpf1/t51.2885-15/1515500_798402303518598_1971517602_n.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a situation occurred where food would be scarce for months (or longer) and I had to tighten the belt, I'd plan on eating meals of dal and rice.

Dal - Indian variety of lentils and peas, almost exactly like split peas that you make the soups from. These sell for as little as $4 for 8 lbs. They cook faster than beans (around 25 minutes), do not require a soak, and do not cause nearly the intestinal upset beans can cause. They are very high in protein, have moderate fat, moderate calories, and a good amount of carbs.

The combination of dal and rice are a perfect compliment, and provide just about everything a person needs for daily nutrition.

Tastes good, great nutrition, cheap, and easy to prepare. And I keep a lot of it stored.

Where do you buy it? And what brand(s)?

I buy it at the local Indian grocery. They have about a dozen varieties of dal (split pea) and a number of related peas / beans (chori beans, moong beans) that are basically the same thing. I usually look for whichever is cheapest for the largest quantity, when I shop.  I can almost always find some for $4-$5 per 8 lb bag. They also have rice at $11 for 25 lbs.

It's great for like term dry storage, much like rice:

http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpa1/t51.2885-15/926917_678218142223123_230612327_n.jpg http://photos-d.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/926677_198681660342059_1148808106_n.jpg http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpf1/t51.2885-15/1515500_798402303518598_1971517602_n.jpg

That looks mighty tasty. Be sure and stop by my SHTF beans and rice thread here if you want to.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cut carbs+drink water= weight FLAB loss.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Holy crap, I couldn't imagine.  Most of my snacks are almost 1000 calories.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That was basically what my first diet was framed on. Maximum amount of energy expended with minimal caloric intake. All the water I could drink.

I got myself into some real trouble a couple of times. I went up to the track and ran 3 miles on only three eggs, a cheese stick and an orange all day long. I passed out because of my blood sugar dropped to nothing. My wife had to pour Gatorade down me to get me coherent again. I was really really stupid when I did that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://a.pomf.se/yorxlc.jpg

I know of one 17 year old girl that was on a low calorie diet that passed out from low blood sugar while driving. she crossed the center line, taking out a car with a family in it, and killing herself. the local media speculated it was texting and driving (because of her age), months later when the report came out distraction was ruled out. I know the family, so i know the real reason.

another young lady passed out and fell face first on her hot curling iron... shes permanently scarred.

another fell down a flight of stairs and broke both arms.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:33:47 AM EDT
[#14]

13 is the number.

Your weight in lbs. X13 = calories needed daily to MAINTAIN your current weight.

180 x13 = 2,340

Back when I started at 215'ish the number was 2795.

When you consume 500 calories less per day than what you need to maintain, you will lose a lb. a week
When you consume 1000 calories less per day than what you need to maintain, you will lose 2 lbs. a week

This worked for me dropping 40 lbs. in almost four months. I've kept it off for over 3 years also. I haven't wrote down calories for years now, but I rarely go above 183'ish and rarely under 178

It's kinda like the Dave Ramesey get out of debt deal-  you suffer for a short period of time busting your butt, then afterwards it's not bad, and just normal smart maintenance stuff.

It's numbers, that's all. If you want to eat 1,800 calories via a chocolate cake, so be it. You'll feel like crap, but as long as you are 500 under, you'll lose a lb. a week.

"Carbs are the enemy, don't like carbs.." (Austin Powers 3).   Yet I see so many body builder types that consume more protein than anything else and they often lack energy on the mats.

Balance, it's all about balance.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#15]
It's slightly more complicated than that. (Ocean's Eleven)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
DJ is correct.

I lived off of 1,000 to 1,500 calories for 3-4 months while cutting weight for a competition.

Went from around 215 down to 171.

Looked like a frickin crackhead at 171 though and even though I was working out, running and fighting regularly I did lose muscle. Probably was not having enough protein but still I think the loss of muscle is inevitable on such a strict diet.

Walk around now around 180, waist is  roughly the same size and I've put muscle back on.

Honestly, I think it's good to KNOW how your body will act during that sort of thing.

Yeah, I have millions, probably billions of "calories in food storage" also, but that doesn't mean you will always have those.

I now KNOW what my body can and can't do under duress like that.
View Quote

thats one main thing about it..

everyones body is different.

im guessing DJ was overweight at the time he went on his diet. if he did not have much muscle mass, he would not need much protein.

but all in all. peoples bodies work differently. i can understand someone surviving on less than 1000 calories a day. i know friend of mine that eats less. then that, and survive just fine.. but they also have a thin frame.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Your weight in lbs. X13 = calories needed daily to MAINTAIN your current weight.

180 x13 = 2,340

When you consume 500 calories less per day than what you need to maintain, you will lose a lb. a week
When you consume 1000 calories less per day than what you need to maintain, you will lose 2 lbs. a week
It's numbers, that's all. If you want to eat 1,800 calories via a chocolate cake, so be it. You'll feel like crap, but as long as you are 500 under, you'll lose a lb. a week.
View Quote

It's funny - I weigh 190, and have been eating about 1250-1500 calories a day for a while, with few carbs or sugars. I am maintaining, but not losing a bit. Just a few years ago I ate twice that much and was maintaining my weight.

A sample day of food:

Breakfast was a can of tuna (125 calories) with a little Sriracha mixed in.
Lunch was 1/3rd of a $6 Chinese food meal. I had them substitute more veggies and leave out almost all of the rice. So basically I had almost two cups of onion, bell pepper, beef, and a tiny bit of rice.
Dinner was a bowl of mixed veggies (green beans with diced peas, carrots and onion) and ground beef, covered with faux mashed potatoes (made of blended cauliflower and white bean). Kind of like a fake Shepherd's Pie.

I'm not sure what's going on, but cutting my calories in half and removing the sweets and desserts and most breads, didn't help.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am trying to eat low carb to keep my blood sugar down..... it sucks

no rice, potatoes, bread items, pasta, or sugared items

Some fruit is on the no fly list as well.

The bad part is that when my blood sugar is down, my weight goes up.

If I eat the bad stuff, my blood sugar goes up, and my weight drops.

FML

View Quote

I ate two slices of regular margarita cheese Pizza Hut and a glass of coke today for lunch and I feel like throwing up. For dinner I had a small amount of pasta (could cover it with the palm and extended fingers of my hand, maybe less than half a plate)  with green leafs and a bit of bread. We're just not used to eating greasy, heavily procesed food any more. I think Id be sick if I try a Mcdonalds quarterpounder and it didnt bother me at all before. I felt like crap, but it didnt bother me.
Seriously, once you start eating healthier and get used to it its not about being on a "diet" any more. Its more about not eating greasy crap that makes you sick.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's funny - I weigh 190, and have been eating about 1250-1500 calories a day for a while, with few carbs or sugars. I am maintaining, but not losing a bit. Just a few years ago I ate twice that much and was maintaining my weight.

A sample day of food:

Lunch was 1/3rd of a $6 Chinese food meal. I had them substitute more veggies and leave out almost all of the rice. So basically I had almost two cups of onion, bell pepper, beef, and a tiny bit of rice.
Dinner was a bowl of mixed veggies (green beans with diced peas, carrots and onion) and ground beef, covered with faux mashed potatoes (made of blended cauliflower and white bean). Kind of like a fake Shepherd's Pie.

I'm not sure what's going on, but cutting my calories in half and removing the sweets and desserts and most breads, didn't help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

180 x13 = 2,340

A sample day of food:

wow.. I'd take a closer look at what youre eating. Sounds like you're undesestimating the calories your eating. 125 calories for a can of tuna is very low, must be a very small can. Even tuna in water has fat becuase of the tuna alone and its more caloric than that. Chinese takeaway can be a greasy as hell. You think you're eating veggies with some sauce, but that sauce is pure vegetable oil that has more calories than the vegetables you're eating. Not trying to play online doc here, but I'm pretty sure you're eating more than 1500 calories. Sounds like it by what you're saying and not losing any weight shoudl be another clear inidcation.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Jesus. I just finished reading the thread. How many people in here have had their RMR measured by a professional? Bodpod test? Anything scientific at all? I burn 2900 calories per day lying down in bed. Also, any time someone says they're on a 1k cal a day diet, I have my doubts. Call me when you start sweating ammonia.
View Quote

BMR and RMR both, along with a pile of other tests before, during, and after.  My RMR is around 2450 calories, if I recall - less when I'm down on weight.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

BMR and RMR both, along with a pile of other tests before, during, and after.  My RMR is around 2450 calories, if I recall - less when I'm down on weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

BMR and RMR - what is this?

Bodpod - and this ?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Bodpod - and this ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bodpod - and this ?

Base metabolic rate, resting metabolic rate, and a pressurized chamber that measures your body fat % by using air displacement.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:24:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

wow.. I'd take a closer look at what youre eating. Sounds like you're undesestimating the calories your eating. 125 calories for a can of tuna is very low, must be a very small can. Even tuna in water has fat becuase of the tuna alone and its more caloric than that. Chinese takeaway can be a greasy as hell. You think you're eating veggies with some sauce, but that sauce is pure vegetable oil that has more calories than the vegetables you're eating. Not trying to play online doc here, but I'm pretty sure you're eating more than 1500 calories. Sounds like it by what you're saying and not losing any weight shoudl be another clear inidcation.
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

180 x13 = 2,340

A sample day of food:

FerFAL

That was my first thought as well.

It's easy to think "oh this bowl of chips is only about 100 calories"- then you look at the bag and the bag contains say 6,000 calories and you put 1/5 of the bag in the bowl- DUH

Calorieking.com

has caloric values for just about everything. At first it was helpful to keep a small notebook and write everything down. If you have to estimate, then OVER estimate not under estimate.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:27:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people don't know about these tests. There are a ton of diet plans all over the place and most are fairly ridiculous. If you want to get serious and do it right, knowing your RMR, BMR, and caloric intake/output is the most efficient way.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:29:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure if you are referring to my post or not?

However if you are- well I lost 40 lbs. this way in a relatively short period of time and

I had plenty of energy. Ran 3X a week, worked every day and did a mixed martial art 3X a week as well. I'm no spring chicken but the 20 something workout "wonders" normally are gassing and quitting before I am.

The formula is also in one of Greg Jackson's books. I trust a trainer like that more than some dude on the internet.

Hell doesn't really matter to me at this point, I'm several years past and haven't gained it back. I don't obsess about "carbs", eat a caveman diet or any stuff like that. Don't eat a lot of sugars any more and never was big in fried crap.

Everyones looking for an easy way out- eat this, don't eat that, blah blah blah. This IS the easy way out, it just requires WORK and that's a four letter word to most "preppers"
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:51:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

However if you are- well I lost 40 lbs. this way in a relatively short period of time and

I had plenty of energy. Ran 3X a week, worked every day and did a mixed martial art 3X a week as well. I'm no spring chicken but the 20 something workout "wonders" normally are gassing and quitting before I am.

The formula is also in one of Greg Jackson's books. I trust a trainer like that more than some dude on the internet.

Hell doesn't really matter to me at this point, I'm several years past and haven't gained it back. I don't obsess about "carbs", eat a caveman diet or any stuff like that. Don't eat a lot of sugars any more and never was big in fried crap.

Everyones looking for an easy way out- eat this, don't eat that, blah blah blah. This IS the easy way out, it just requires WORK and that's a four letter word to most "preppers"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was.
Your formula is flawed in that it doesn't dictate what the parameters for "need" are. I'm 184 pounds and 13.4% body fat, as of Monday. Last time I ate 2400 calories a day was in Ranger School (two MREs a day is roughly 2400, depending on which ones you get) and I got down to 154 pounds and was sweating cat piss, which is a sign that your body is out of usable fat and you're now burning muscle. As it stands, I eat about 5k calories a day to not lose weight. If I want to gain weight, I up that to 6k. Everyone is different and so is their situation. Getting tested is the most effective way to know where you're at and what you need. Anything else is a swag.

Once or twice a year, I do something where I end up losing 20-40 pounds and I spend the rest of the time recovering and building back up. There is a science to this.

eta: I'm with you on the fad diets, though. Eat healthy. If you need to raise or lower your intake, don't just cut carbs or fats. Cut evenly across your diet. It takes work, but it's worth it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I was.
Your formula is flawed in that it doesn't dictate what the parameters for "need" are. I'm 184 pounds and 13.4% body fat, as of Monday. Last time I ate 2400 calories a day was in Ranger School (two MREs a day is roughly 2400, depending on which ones you get) and I got down to 154 pounds and was sweating cat piss, which is a sign that your body is out of usable fat and you're now burning muscle. As it stands, I eat about 5k calories a day to not lose weight. If I want to gain weight, I up that to 6k. Everyone is different and so is their situation. Getting tested is the most effective way to know where you're at and what you need. Anything else is a swag.

Once or twice a year, I do something where I end up losing 20-40 pounds and I spend the rest of the time recovering and building back up. There is a science to this.

eta: I'm with you on the fad diets, though. Eat healthy. If you need to raise or lower your intake, don't just cut carbs or fats. Cut evenly across your diet. It takes work, but it's worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was.

Yeah, if you are really active, the number goes from 13 up to 17 per lb. I always factored mine on 13 per lb. even as active as I am.

MOST people aren't really active. I don't know how many "preppers" you have actually met ....... ;)

Also, as far as the weight loss side, 13 being the smaller number, makes for faster weight loss calculation.

When your metabolism is ramped up, yeah you can do more no doubt. MOST people's and I would venture to say 80% of most "preppers" are not. They may feel that since they walk a half mile once a week they are fit, but most aren't.

BTDT, could and did run the mile couple times a week at 230, could and did fight at 230, could and did do the hikes, carry the gear all day etc. at 230. Can do all those things better at 179
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:34:22 AM EDT
[#28]
BEANS, RICE, SPICES, BULLION, AND A MULTI VITAMIN PER DAY.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much, but you can add fresh vegetable salad, lettuce and tomato, lentils are good too and a bit of meat here and there. At least in my case I started losing weight when I "saw the light" regarding certain things. I took a look at what I was eating, what I knew was bad food, what I thought was good food, and basically understanding there's a massive, maybe THE largest industry in the world that consists of three things:
1)Feeding you crap
2)Making you sick.
3)Selling you drugs to keep you alive but sick so you keep eating crap and buying drugs.
It suddenly came together and I thoughr, fuck! they are screwing with us real good.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Not as bad as you might think really.  Americans are for the most part WAY overfed.  For instance 1000 calories consists of:
2 bowls of oatmeal

2 cups of Greek yogurt

3 cans of tuna or 2 of chunk chicken

2 apples.
Not exactly starving in a day unless you do lots of manual labor,and most of society doesn't anymore.  I ate calorie levels in Iraq and Afghanistan(mostly Afghanistan) that would make me weigh 400lbs here and I dropped weight like crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not as bad as you might think really.  Americans are for the most part WAY overfed.  For instance 1000 calories consists of:
2 bowls of oatmeal

2 cups of Greek yogurt

2 apples.
Not exactly starving in a day unless you do lots of manual labor,and most of society doesn't anymore.  I ate calorie levels in Iraq and Afghanistan(mostly Afghanistan) that would make me weigh 400lbs here and I dropped weight like crazy.
Quoted:

Geeze, that would be the worst.

I might switch the oatmeal for muesli and the Greek yogurt for skyr and I'd want to add some quinoa and rice if possible but that sounds feasible.  I don't know if the exercise implies no access to fresh but some fresh fruits and veggies would be nice (with potentially low impact to calories versus some other choices).
My major grievance would be the implications in beer consumption.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Pretty much, but you can add fresh vegetable salad, lettuce and tomato, lentils are good too and a bit of meat here and there. At least in my case I started losing weight when I "saw the light" regarding certain things. I took a look at what I was eating, what I knew was bad food, what I thought was good food, and basically understanding there's a massive, maybe THE largest industry in the world that consists of three things:
1)Feeding you crap
2)Making you sick.
3)Selling you drugs to keep you alive but sick so you keep eating crap and buying drugs.
It suddenly came together and I thoughr, fuck! they are screwing with us real good.
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1)Feeding you crap
2)Making you sick.
FerFAL

So you really think McDonalds and for-profit hospitals are in cahoots, to deliberately make you sick and keep you sick?

You've really gone off the deep end lately.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

2 bowls of oatmeal
2 cups of Greek yogurt
2 apples.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

2 bowls of oatmeal
2 cups of Greek yogurt
2 apples.

Quoted:
Geeze, that would be the worst.

Ditch the oatmeal replace it with beans.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I used to do that when working out hard and dropping fat. I would have these various foods:

Egg whites for breakfast

Tuna pouch

V8 low sodium drink

Lots of water

Jerkey

Protein bar

Nitro tech protein mix

Low fat milk

Unseasoned chicken breasts

Coffee

Eating those various foods dropped the weight fast and was under 1000 calories. I did have an occasional snack size candy bar for sugar.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's something to consider: when trying to lose weight, most people seem to focus on changing their diet instead of changing their lifestyle. In many cases, more activity is needed, not less calories. Of course, there will be many who argue this. After all, exercise is hard work.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

13 is the number.

180 x13 = 2,340

This worked for me dropping 40 lbs. in almost four months. I've kept it off for over 3 years also. I haven't wrote down calories for years now, but I rarely go above 183'ish and rarely under 178

It's kinda like the Dave Ramesey get out of debt deal-  you suffer for a short period of time busting your butt, then afterwards it's not bad, and just normal smart maintenance stuff.

"Carbs are the enemy, don't like carbs.." (Austin Powers 3).   Yet I see so many body builder types that consume more protein than anything else and they often lack energy on the mats.

View Quote

I'm calling bs. I currently weigh in at about 350 lbs(I'm 6'4" so I don't need a whopper chopper just yet) and by those numbers I could eat over 4,500 calories and not gain anything.

I have been eating around 1200-1500 calories a day over the last week and have been surprised that I wasn't hungrier. I recently fucked up my back so exercise is out for now. I'm so tired of being overweight that I'm willing to cut my caloric intake severely. I won't have to worry about losing muscle for a while.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Is this about a low calorie survival diet after an event or a crash course to drop weight to be better prepared?

If it's the latter then some people might want to reevaluate their concept of calories and nutrition.  It is not an "energy in energy out equation" in terms of calories versus exercise.

All calories are not equal.  Gasoline has calories.  There's a big difference between drinking 1,500 calories of gasoline and eating 1,500 calories of balanced, nutritious food.

Here's one tip worth considering.  Stop eating sugar unless it's in something worthwhile like fruit.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is this about a low calorie survival diet after an event or a crash course to drop weight to be better prepared?

View Quote

Good question.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I do manual labor for a living and constantly work on my property and do often eat large amounts of food.
I sometimes stare at my supply of "emergency" food and wonder what it would be like to live on a much lower caloric intake.
I really hope I never have to find out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm calling bs. I currently weigh in at about 350 lbs(I'm 6'4" so I don't need a whopper chopper just yet) and by those numbers I could eat over 4,500 calories and not gain anything.

I have been eating around 1200-1500 calories a day over the last week and have been surprised that I wasn't hungrier. I recently fucked up my back so exercise is out for now. I'm so tired of being overweight that I'm willing to cut my caloric intake severely. I won't have to worry about losing muscle for a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

13 is the number.

180 x13 = 2,340

His advice is some of the best in this thread of diet retardation advice.  Another thing that helps keep your body continuously burning calories is by eating every 2-3 hours as your body spends that amount of time burning calories by digesting food so continuous small meals > the big cake.  Its one factor and not the only thing to worry about, but also its about averages.  Notice he said WEEK not day.  You cut for one week then go back to your old ways then you won't get very far.  Consistency is your best friend.  Don't outright starve yourself, but reduce and be consistent.  You'll see results especially as your weight comes down and it becomes easier and easier for you to be physically active.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I do manual labor for a living and constantly work on my property and do often eat large amounts of food.
I sometimes stare at my supply of "emergency" food and wonder what it would be like to live on a much lower caloric intake.
I really hope I never have to find out.
View Quote

On the flip side its an indicator that we really need more food than we might realize.  You can get by with reduced caloric intake for a while, but once the body fat goes away there's nothin but muscle..and then you die.  There was someone who posted in a thread somewhat recently about how those with about ~15% bodyfat at least are best equipped to survive because they have some body fat at least.  In a SHTF scenario we'd all appreciate that little bag of cheetos is a couple hundred calories
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#41]
It was initially the former,but has received far more replies and interest on the latter.

What I was really looking for in my OP was peoples ideas on how to best balance the 1000 calories to do you the most good(or least harm) and list the foods they would use to accomplish it.  However it's derailed and I've learned alot about metabolisms and diets!  I'm 6"1" and 195#,not looking to diet.

Quoted:

Good question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:12:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It was initially the former,but has received far more replies and interest on the latter.

What I was really looking for in my OP was peoples ideas on how to best balance the 1000 calories to do you the most good(or least harm) and list the foods they would use to accomplish it.  However it's derailed and I've learned alot about metabolisms and diets!  I'm 6"1" and 195#,not looking to diet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question.

It may not be the best site out there but I find myself using it most frequently, maybe because of the graphics.  I haven't used any of the features that require registration, but it looks like you can do a lot of planning and calculating there.

When I was setting back preps I used a lot of data from this site to supplement some of the other spreadsheets I've found.  That being said, I focused on grains/seeds (mostly wheat), beans, and coconut oil for the base of my preps.  Playing around with different varieties of grains and beans, I was able to get a well-balanced diet that would sustain life for 12 months, although I was figuring for considerably more calories than you.  I rounded out with a variety of other items for flavor, texture, and supplemental nutrition.

1000 calories a day for three months is definitely doable but activity levels would have to be relatively low if you wish to come out the other side still healthy.  Personally, I would recommend looking in to at least upping that by 50% to ensure that you are also well-rounded for proteins and nutrients.  I found it hard enough to get all of the essential nutrients and amino acids with 1800-2400 calories a day. If space is an issue, a long-shelf life oil like coconut oil is a great way to put back calories in a dense package and it is useful for preparing the other foods.

I focused on grains and beans simply because they have worked for a large part of the world throughout history.  With the wide selection you can now get in the Western world, you can actually make an entire diet focused on the proper variety of these two items that will sustain life for a long time.  Any supplemental proteins from meat would certainly be welcome but not absolutely necessary on a frequent basis.  And with a good hand-cranked flour mill, you can make a huge variety of foods out of these simple ingredients.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:41:04 AM EDT
[#43]
It wouldn't be fun but can easily be done.  You will not keep your strength on 1000 calories per day but you can live.  If you want to feel full, you will need to eat lots of salad.  High in fiber, no carbs but adds bulk to diet and will help keep you full.  You will need carbs from stuff like oatmeal and protein from maybe grilled chicken or tuna.  Eating salad that includes your protein and lite carb dressing should be filling enough though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:52:04 AM EDT
[#44]
I honestly don't know how long I could live on 1000 calories a day. A couple/few months, probably. I'd lose 70 pounds, but I'd be alive. But long term...I doubt it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top