Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 1:12:19 PM EDT
WWYD - what would you do?

Seen a nice piece of property for sale, problem is, it has a 400-500ft well and the realtor says it runs dry, reason the property been on the market for 2 years. Their solution is to build a cistern. Im just thinking mmmm, being that water is our life blood, be nice to have a steady supply.

Would you pass on the property solely based on this?

Try and dig a deeper well, if possible?

Build a cistern and water tower?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends....
Is there any water deeper down?
How cheap is the property?

If "Yes" and "pretty cheap", then I would consider it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Has anyone looked at the well?
I used to do residential well work, ask around and see if there are any well service companies nearby that could develop the well.  

Was something large recently built, like a huge farm or something that could be drawing down the aquifer?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in Michigan. What's a dry well?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

WWYD - what would you do?

Seen a nice piece of property for sale, problem is, it has a 400-500ft well and the realtor says it runs dry, reason the property been on the market for 2 years. Their solution is to build a cistern. Im just thinking mmmm, being that water is our life blood, be nice to have a steady supply.

Would you pass on the property solely based on this?

Try and dig a deeper well, if possible?

Build a cistern and water tower?
View Quote

OK well, are you in FL or southern Idaho?

Secondly, I would buy the land and do my laundry elsewhere until I found out more about the well issue..... and I built a water tower. water towers are awesome and are a great survival tool too.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Property is in WVa. The problem is there are roads built  behind the 12acres of the property that looks like it could be a developement, dont know if they would do well stuff or try to do a water system.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Property is in WVa. The problem is there are roads built  behind the 12acres of the property that looks like it could be a developement, dont know if they would do well stuff or try to do a water system.
View Quote

how close it is to Pittsburgh?

ETA.. I can run down and take a looksee.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I would find out from a well company what it would take to fix it or dig a new well. Then I would offer them a price minus what it would take to develop water for the property. This price would take into account many of the unknowns with the well. It might be the only offer they get, and they could be ripe to take whatever offer they get. If not, look elsewhere, I guess.

Overscoped- that is a very generous offer you gave.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Appreciate it, its southern WV. Greenbriar area.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a friend that could probably fix the well. Let me know if you want some details.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greenbrier, that's me.

Our well at the cabin is about 160' deep but we only have 100' of pipe. Maybe adding more pipe would help?

Most wells in Greenbrier use a filtration and softener and I've heard of a few going dry in the summer months.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#11]
What is the deal with water rights on the property?

Perhaps that development on the other side is beyond their allotted usage, or the property has no water rights at all.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm from Minnesota.

What are water rights?

I would poke around with the questions to local well drill companies. Also, look into those "water rights" things.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I  would pass on that property.  That well could become a money pit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Over drill a bit more for reservoir and frack it for better recovery. If it's still an issue, then the tower would be a good idea. Reflect those costs with your bid on the property if you are willing to get the work done to have good water on your property.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#15]

I'd be pretty leery of it w/o the financial incentive to fix it.  If it's already 4-500' deep, how much deeper can you go, and what could you expect to get from that?

How often is it dry?  During heavy use all year long?  Heavy use during a dry summer?  Every summer?

If it's only occasionally during dry summers, you could fill a cistern in the spring and use it during the dry months.  I've never heard of anyone building a personal water tower around here, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  A pump inside of a buried cistern sounds like a lot less hassle, especially during the cold months.

Whatever you end up with, I'd make sure it's something that is both reliable and simple enough to not devalue the property.  You don't want to be the next guy sitting on this place for two years if you have to sell it for some reason...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:38:42 AM EDT
[#16]
The property is suppose to be worth 160k but they are selling for 140k to giver allowance for a cistern.

Apparently with daily heavy water use, you can run the well dry quickly and it takes 2-3 days to recover. Meaning, its not a seasonal thing, its a daily/weekly thing.

Im gonna pass on this property. Between the water and the future developement in the "back yard", its not worth it in the long run, this is suppose to be a retirement home for me, not just a casual place to visit, last thing I want to deal with when I get old is water (not sayin that cant happen anywhere) but this being a known issue is a deal breaker.

No matter what property I own, im gonna have major water storage regardless of the water situation. so a cistern and/or tower is already in my plans.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:18:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Are all wells in that area that deep?

Define heavy useage.

I would see about digging another well but these days it can be a bigger problem than it used to be.

I don't really have an issue with a cistern but I agree it is nice to have a source of water like a lake or well or something to work with if there is no rain for a long period of time.

To some extent I would also want to see the bottom of that well and see what is going on before just saying it is toast.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#18]
even southern WV winters can be difficult... perhaps you should be looking in Western NC.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Depends....

View Quote

this, also if it wasnt too much money to dig the well deeper, then i think i would consider it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
even southern WV winters can be difficult... perhaps you should be looking in Western NC.
View Quote

I grew up in North Central WVa, I know the areas and ok with the winters, Im not a fan of NC>
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I grew up in North Central WVa, I know the areas and ok with the winters, Im not a fan of NC>
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome!!  I love WV. we go on vacation there.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Depends....

View Quote

Check with the local well drillers.  Ask what their experience in the neighboring properties has been.
Ask what it might cost to have a completely new well put in.

Michigan has most well records available online with depths and soil types, your state might have something similar just to give you a start on .

If you aren't confident you can get water, the property has to be cheap enough to want to deal with a tanker truck delivering water every so often.

ETA, where I am, just a few miles from Lake Superior, the geology makes for widely varying conditions.  Most places are easy to get water but I know of a couple people that have had wells put in where there wasn't enough flow.  A new well bored a few hundred feet away worked fine in both cases.  And a mile or two away people have 5-20 gpm artesian wells.  It doesn't sound like you are interested, but if so, check with the well guy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The property is suppose to be worth 160k but they are selling for 140k to giver allowance for a cistern.

Apparently with daily heavy water use, you can run the well dry quickly and it takes 2-3 days to recover. Meaning, its not a seasonal thing, its a daily/weekly thing.

View Quote
Good idea to pass. Whoever "thinks" the land is worth 160k doesn't seem to understand that a 500ft well is nearing the end of residential depths for drilling, and is practically worthless.

Tell the realtor they should start investing in chunks of desert; they have no water either and should be worth a fortune considering how little desert land goes for now!

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just curious, is the land for a 'survival retreat, vacation place, or a regular place to live?

Considering it might have a development close by...

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Im gonna pass on this property. Between the water and the future developement in the "back yard", its not worth it in the long run, this is suppose to be a retirement home for me, not just a casual place to visit, last thing I want to deal with when I get old is water (not sayin that cant happen anywhere) but this being a known issue is a deal breaker.

No matter what property I own, im gonna have major water storage regardless of the water situation. so a cistern and/or tower is already in my plans.
View Quote

Probably a good move on passing the property up.  When I buy property again, it will not be close to anything that appears to be a development.

If you knew there wasn't going to be development, then price the property as if there was no well.  If you bought a cistern, you'd either have to truck in the water to fill it or it would take a freaking long time.  Not sure what "heavy water use" is, exactly, but assume it's 200 gallons.  If the well pumped 10 gpm (probably generous) or 600 gph, then you'd run dry in 20 minutes.  Imagine filling a 5000 gallon cistern 200 gallons at a time and then waiting 2-3 days to put 200 more in.  If you filled it with a truck and just used the well to top off the cistern, you'd probably be ok.  

To fix that well, you're either going to have to go deeper, or make a large cavity that holds much more water at the depth of the pump.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top