Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2014 12:28:41 PM EDT
If I may ask, how do you plan to do laundry in the event of a long-term power outage?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a new bathroom plunger, and keep it on hand to use with a bucket and laundry detergent. You'll have to wring out the clothes the old hard way by hand. Then repeat with plain water for the rinse. It's the old fashioned washing by hand method.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Buy a new bathroom plunger, and keep it on hand to use with a bucket and laundry detergent. You'll have to wring out the clothes the old hard way by hand. Then repeat with plain water for the rinse. It's the old fashioned washing by hand method.

View Quote
FPNI

You could also watch the yard sales and Craigslist for old wringer washers.

I have also seen washers with small gas engines and/or pulleys for the "farm engine" from back in the day. Kind of a rare bird, though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Part of this comes down to dealing with things a bit differently.

I like clean socks and underwear but would let the shirts and pants go a bit longer than normal if needed.

Simply airing some stuff out can help as well.

I do not want to get back to the old days when laundery and baths were once a week things and they did not have enough clothes to have new stuff for each day of the week sometimes.

Depending on what I am doing I don't care to let jeans go for several days.

But one good day working on equipment, yardwork, and messing around can make that one pair of jeans pretty ripe at times.

For a week I have enough clothes to not care.  2 weeks would be similar but would have to think a bit harder.

Start messing around with a month timeline in my brain and I gaurantee I would probably spend some time with a couple 5 gallon buckets and a clothesline every couple nights in order to play catchup.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#5]
That wash board on the wall is not just a decoration......
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#6]
55 gallon barrel, bucket full of golf balls, water + clothes, have the kids roll it around for awhile.

some of you like to work too hard
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Toilet plunger and bucket for small things and a wash board and tub for bigger things.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#8]
5 Gal bucket and a stick.  Same as Iraq.  Cleaner than the stuff that they'd wash in camel piss for us.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Part of this comes down to dealing with things a bit differently.

I like clean socks and underwear but would let the shirts and pants go a bit longer than normal if needed.

Simply airing some stuff out can help as well.

I do not want to get back to the old days when laundery and baths were once a week things and they did not have enough clothes to have new stuff for each day of the week sometimes.

Depending on what I am doing I don't care to let jeans go for several days.

But one good day working on equipment, yardwork, and messing around can make that one pair of jeans pretty ripe at times.

For a week I have enough clothes to not care.  2 weeks would be similar but would have to think a bit harder.

Start messing around with a month timeline in my brain and I gaurantee I would probably spend some time with a couple 5 gallon buckets and a clothesline every couple nights in order to play catchup.
View Quote

Grid down also means (for those on city water) no water.  Hand carrying is tough work not to mention storage.  Just a thought ............
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Mop bucket with wringer. I hand wash my wool socks in the sink now. We have a dryer, but prefer to use the clothes line in the back yard when the weather is nice and the clothes line in the basement during the winter.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a plunger-like device...forget where I got it. It is SPECIFICALLY made for manual laundry chores. Plastic end witha baffle. 1" hole in bucket lid. Easy peasy. Wife has was 'delicates' in it and they turned out fine.

Redman

PS here it is-
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a plunger-like device...forget where I got it. It is SPECIFICALLY made for manual laundry chores. Plastic end witha baffle. 1" hole in bucket lid. Easy peasy. Wife has was 'delicates' in it and they turned out fine.

Redman

PS here it is-http://www.bestdryingrack.com/images-new/clothes-washer.jpg
View Quote

Emergency essentials and lehmans sells them.......there called mobile washers and work awesome
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Link no work
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Washing a load of laundry doesn't require much more than half an hour's worth of AC power.

Even a modest-sized generator produces plenty of power to operate your average clothes washer.

So, we're not talking about a huge amount of generator fuel consumed here - A gallon of gasoline is probably plenty to do half a dozen loads.

Naturally, if you're also using a well pump to supply water to the clothes washer, your generator fuel consumption will increase significantly (twofold, perhaps?).

As for clothes drying - Well, that's what God invented clotheslines for...
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:24:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Honestly, if it's not so bad that gas is still available, I'm loading up the car and driving the the nearest working laundromat.  If not, it's hand scrubbing and clotheslines until the power comes back on or until we can make a plunger and wringer setup.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:42:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I lived in South America for a couple of years a long time ago and in one little town I lived in I did my laundry in a cement wash basin.  Took about 1/2 hour to an hour to do it.  Then I'd wring it out by hand and hang it on the line to dry.  Not a big deal.    

That little plastic plunger-like tool will work great if you have no stains, but stains take scrubbing, so get a good stout scrub brush.

A bar of laundry soap, a scrub brush, a tub/wash basin and something to scrub/wring the laundry against is all you need.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Redman

View Quote

I have a version of this, used to do laundry in the bathtub with it on a semi-regular basis. Works fine, not much work and doesn't take too long. You can heat water in a pot on the stove or over a fire.

Wringing is the hard part. I used to do it by hand, but this gets old and it takes quite a while for clothes to dry in Oregon winters when you're just hand wringing them. Jeans and towels are the worst to hand wring.

I'm in the market for a good wringer if anyone has some links. I'd like an antique-style wringer, but new. I've heard some folks use industrial mop buckets but seems less than ideal.

Drying = clothes line.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#21]
By hand.  

Is this a trick question?  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:18:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

55 gallon barrel, bucket full of golf balls, water + clothes, have the kids roll it around for awhile.

some of you like to work too hard
View Quote

bingo or a 5 gallon with gamma lid..shake,,and roll. or be fancy and tie it to a tree with bungees top and bottom and give it a good tug and let the bungees do the work.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:24:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have a version of this, used to do laundry in the bathtub with it on a semi-regular basis. Works fine, not much work and doesn't take too long. You can heat water in a pot on the stove or over a fire.

Wringing is the hard part. I used to do it by hand, but this gets old and it takes quite a while for clothes to dry in Oregon winters when you're just hand wringing them. Jeans and towels are the worst to hand wring.

I'm in the market for a good wringer if anyone has some links. I'd like an antique-style wringer, but new. I've heard some folks use industrial mop buckets but seems less than ideal.

Drying = clothes line.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Redman

Drying = clothes line.

Check out Lehman's wringers.  Lehmans is the place for old school hand tools.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I lived in South America for a couple of years a long time ago and in one little town I lived in I did my laundry in a cement wash basin.  Took about 1/2 hour to an hour to do it.  Then I'd wring it out by hand and hang it on the line to dry.  Not a big deal.    

That little plastic plunger-like tool will work great if you have no stains, but stains take scrubbing, so get a good stout scrub brush.

A bar of laundry soap, a scrub brush, a tub/wash basin and something to scrub/wring the laundry against is all you need.
View Quote

Good stuff!

The thing about doing laundry manually is that it's a pain in the butt, relatively speaking.  But even with modern electric washers, your clothes will not get completely clean if they are heavily stained.  If you pre treat stains by rubbing them with a bar of laundry soap it helps a lot, especially with greasy stains.  The other thing that works great is simply to let things soak in soapy water for a long time - over night or several days.  If you have to do it by hand  there is nothing that says your laundry can't sit for a while before you scrub, rinse and wring it.  

TJ mentioned using plastic tubs - the ones with lids are great because you could simply cover your wash and let the soap work it's magic.  Another thing that comes to mind is that if the water isn't all that dirty you could cover it up and re-use it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Link no work
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link no work

Tried it! Works just fine. Anyone else having trouble with this link?

Thanks!

PITA45
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

works fine for me.

Thanks!

PITA45
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link no work

works fine for me.

Thanks!

PITA45

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link no work

works fine for me.

Thanks!

PITA45

yup, link works!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top