Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2014 5:22:18 AM EDT

I stumbled across this link for the .mil "Personal Protective Measures Against Insects and Other Anthropods of Military Significance" paper.

http://www.afpmb.org/sites/default/files/pubs/techguides/tg36.pdf

I haven't read through the whole thing yet, but starting on page 26 it describes processes for applying permethrin to clothing.  Though they've got a "kit"m they use 40% concentrate so it should be easily figured out.

Just thought I'd pass it along since it's getting close to that time of year, and I hate skeeters...
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:54:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I haven't read through the whole thing yet, but starting on page 26 it describes processes for applying permethrin to clothing.  
View Quote

Don't do like we did back around 1991 or so, standing around at some Ft Dix range spraying each other down with those yellow cans of permithrin like it was cans of Off.
Man did the senior NCOs flip out when  they came around the corner to see us doing that.
If you read the fine print on the can it clearly said not to apply to clothing while you were wearing the clothing......

Thanks for the link  btw.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep stocked up in Permethrin 10.  Compared to retail, like the small bottles you buy to spray tents and gear, it is literally 1000% cheaper.  I have used it for 20-25 years so I am comfortable with it and how to properly use it.  This weekend I will mix up a gallon or two and spray all my spring hunting and fishing clothes.  Leave them hanging for a day or two to fully dry.   Then I will use the rest in the basement and outside on the foundation to keep back spiders and ants.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I stumbled across this link for the .mil "Personal Protective Measures Against Insects and Other Anthropods of Military Significance" paper.

I haven't read through the whole thing yet, but starting on page 26 it describes processes for applying permethrin to clothing.  Though they've got a "kit"m they use 40% concentrate so it should be easily figured out.

Just thought I'd pass it along since it's getting close to that time of year, and I hate skeeters...
View Quote

Thanks for the post, I didn't realize it was also used for lice at 1% in commercial products.

On the link - figure 2-20 - Canned aerosol spray is 0.5 – percent Permethrin

eta: cautions / possible side effects of Permetherin http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMHT0011682/?report=details#side_effects
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Good ref Slice!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been in the pest control business for about 15 years.

Most of your Mosquitos are attracted by 1. Body heat 2. CO2 emmissions from your breath 3. A chemical scent given off from your skin.

A lot of sprays are designed to interfere with the insects breathing done through the spiracles on the abdomen and the odor or vapor from them is what keeps the bugs off. Permethrin is actually an insecticide and can kill them. And it is an active ingredient in many of the products we use for general pest control.

I've found spraying a hat. Sleeves, and socks will work well with most over the counter products.

Also the bug suits and head nets work extremely well.

The ThermaCell system is amazing too. I have been in marshy swamp areas in spring turkey hunting and without the therma cell you wouldn't be able to breathe with all the Mosquitos. It's lightweight and very effective.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most of your Mosquitos are attracted by 1. Body heat 2. CO2 emmissions from your breath 3. A chemical scent given off from your skin.

A lot of sprays are designed to interfere with the insects breathing done through the spiracles on the abdomen and the odor or vapor from them is what keeps the bugs off. Permethrin is actually an insecticide and can kill them. And it is an active ingredient in many of the products we use for general pest control.

I've found spraying a hat. Sleeves, and socks will work well with most over the counter products.

The ThermaCell system is amazing too. I have been in marshy swamp areas in spring turkey hunting and without the therma cell you wouldn't be able to breathe with all the Mosquitos. It's lightweight and very effective.
View Quote

I was dubious abt the Thermocell re gnats and other critters besides 'skeeters, but you're right, it worked very well.  

The price of the cartridges ouch, for a lot of usage... Is there any way to homebrew the stuff for them?

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:20:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Tag. This is relevant to my interests.
Fucking mosquitoes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:33:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was dubious abt the Thermocell re gnats and other critters besides 'skeeters, but you're right, it worked very well.  

The price of the cartridges ouch, for a lot of usage... Is there any way to homebrew the stuff for them?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah the cost can eat you up if your using it a lot. Buying bulk packs help. And sometimes I will find it on sale in the fall.

Interesting fact: only the female Mosquitos bite...... Lots of jokes can be made of that fact. Haha
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you talking about this?  I saw it at Wal-Mart and assumed it was some gimmicky crap. It works? How?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Thermacell-Mosquito-Repellent-Unit-MR-TJ-Realtree-Camo/21674920
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Are you talking about this?  I saw it at Wal-Mart and assumed it was some gimmicky crap. It works? How?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Thermacell-Mosquito-Repellent-Unit-MR-TJ-Realtree-Camo/21674920
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works awesome. Best thing out there right now.

There is a gas cartridge and scent pad. The unit disperses a scent cloud when it is on and keeps those pesky bugs away. They even work pretty well on the South Georgia sand gnat. Which apart nothing else does.

Some mistakes that make it less effective:
Not using a fresh cartridge or pad. Setting it down wind of where your sitting.
And expecting miracles.

But it most defiantly works. Most of the guys I hunt with won't hunt without it. In fact last spring a buddy forgot his and he went home to get it. Of course we were hunting some thick areas but without it some days wouldn't be even bearable.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Treated a cotton t-shirt myself and it works great.  I don't know if the mosquitoes land on it and die or just stay away, but they really leave me alone when I wear it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
But it most defiantly works. Most of the guys I hunt with won't hunt without it. In fact last spring a buddy forgot his and he went home to get it. Of course we were hunting some thick areas but without it some days wouldn't be even bearable.
View Quote

Last year we had an extremely wet spring and early summer.  We were new to this area but people who lived here all their lives said it was just about the worst for bugs AND we basically live in the middle of thousands of acres of bog and swamp with river and creek bottoms.  Anywhere we went in the county, we noticed they had less bugs then we did at our home.  In addition we had hundreds of bats that summer here by the garage.  No bats and I am not sure how bad it would have been.  Compared to my days living in North Dakota and Minnesota, this was the worst I had ever seen, even with our bats.

Spoke to some Professional loggers who were wearing them daily in the forests so they could work and they loved them.  We tried them and even in the wind they worked.  If the bugs could navigate the wind, the Thermacells worked if placed properly.  I wore one through October on my day packs when hunting, building duck blinds back in the bogs or cutting wood.  Took one in the kayak when I fished the bogs or slack water areas.

Permethrin, bats and yellow lights.

Permethrin will kill your cats but it works great on dogs that can tolerate it.  I switched the dog over to Vectra 3D.

I say, if you cant do math you probably cant survive.  Buy 10% Peremthrin, cut it down to any percentage you want, use it once or twice and you break even.  Use it all and you are up $100-$200.

Thermacells are a gift to yourself and if you want, you can even refill the butane cartridges.  Google it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't know if the mosquitoes land on it and die or just stay away, but they really leave me alone when I wear it.

View Quote

Both.  I have some video I took that shows exactly that.  The light attracted thousands of bugs before being treated.  After treating with Permethirn, bugs that got too close to the treated light fixture and surrounding area died from contact with the Permethrin.  Same goes for window and door screens.  Spraying them helps keep bugs away but those that land on the screens will die from contact.  The dead bugs stuck to your screen are the proof.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Good idea.

He's warming the Thermocell bottle w/ his hands, but it might work to warm the supply tank in the microwave a little to get a better pressure differential and speed the recharge.

The metal can acts like a Faraday cage [with a hole in it], around the butane so it don't blow.

Of course you could use warm water to warm it, don't use the microwave... That thar was a joke, son...

Another approach...

Notice the importance of purging the air from the upper space in the bottle.

The 2nd guy shows how to use some other pieces of stuff with the same active ingredient as the T-C, but I couldn't understand what it was.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Some chem engineers may be able to suggest what solvent could be used to remove the active ingredient from the cheap sticks of the repellant and then reactivate the pads...

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Another, he says it costs him hardly nuthin, and uses the Coglin mos things, to replace the pads.

Must watch...  Gives a lot of data...

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good info, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#18]
A little more info on the Mil Spec repellents.

http://www.tickinfo.com/permethrin.htm

Quote from the link above:

" The DOD Chemical Protection System: The Department of Defense (DoD) utilizes a system of two chemical components in conjunction with the field dress uniform. The EPA approved components of this system include the insecticide permethrin and the insect repellent deet (N, N-diethyl-m-tiluarnide) in concentrations less than 33%.

Note: Not all permethrin is blended for the purpose of bonding to fabric.  Most permethrin is agricultural which is for pest control on vegetation.  Its design purpose is to stick to plants thus protecting the plants.  Veterinary products are designed to adhere to animal skins/hair or premises and are not for fabric application. Some permethrin is formulated for treatment of medical conditions such as head lice and scabies.  The formulations are not interchangeable mostly because of solvents utilized.  Always refer to manufacturers label and use instructions. "

" The DoD system consists of both permethrin treated clothing and deet applied to skin. The use of one without the other will undermine the system and increase the risk of insect or tick bite. Many non-deet products are available on the market and are not part of the DoD protection system. They show ineffective repellent performance and are not recommended for any situation where disease transmission is a threat. "

- ALSO -

http://www.scs-mall.com/permethrin-repellents-killers/products/41/

Permethrin based repellents - MIL " style " soak. and what - APPEARS TO BE - (  in OP - Fig 20 photo ) DOD issue spray for 9 bucks a can.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I just bought a Thermocell from walmart and got the holster and a recharge kit because of this thread. The reviews on this thing are fantastic. I have high hopes that it delivers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I've never really found a good combo to combat the mosquitoes/chiggers when I was in NC. We all used "off", but they still always got me. The best bet I had was to pack a mosquito net or pick up a light tent to keep them off your face at night. Chiggers, you're on your own. If you lay in the ground long enough, they'll find you.. they best bet is to just apply cortizone after the fact to keep the itching down.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Ordered permethrin a few days ago. Going to treat some clothes with it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IMO3I2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Don't do like we did back around 1991 or so, standing around at some Ft Dix range spraying each other down with those yellow cans of permithrin like it was cans of Off.
Man did the senior NCOs flip out when  they came around the corner to see us doing that.
If you read the fine print on the can it clearly said not to apply to clothing while you were wearing the clothing......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't read through the whole thing yet, but starting on page 26 it describes processes for applying permethrin to clothing.  

It's because of inhaling/swallow the vapors. Permethrin breaks down almost immediately upon contact with human skin. Unless of course you mix it to something like 2000mg/kg of body weight. Then it might itch a little.

Been using it for decades while hunting or spending any time in heavily infested areas. It is extremely effective.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#23]
the thermacells work great when they work.  the on off switch and the peizo ignition both have failed on mine I am generally getting about one year out of one before it needs to be replaced.  i carry deet as a backup.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:00:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just bought a Thermocell from walmart and got the holster and a recharge kit because of this thread. The reviews on this thing are fantastic. I have high hopes that it delivers.
View Quote

I love mine.  I hunt down in the swamps and early in deer season, you can't see or breathe because the skeeters are so thick.  The first time I hunted the swamps, I didn't know about ThermoCells and used Deep Woods OFF and covered up with a hat, bandanna, long sleeves, and gloves.  I came out of the woods less than 2 hrs later, looking like I had gone 10 rounds with Tyson.  I got bit everywhere--under my glasses, on my scalp, all over my face, through my shirt, through my pants, through my gloves....to make it even worse, a bunch of them even followed me into my truck and tormented me until I got to a road where I could go fast enough to suck them out the window.   It was an utterly miserable experience but on the positive side,  I'm pretty sure I'm immune to West Nile.

The second time I went out there (and every other time since), I've used a TC.  As long as the wind isn't blowing they work great.  It's like an invisible bubble of protection.  I can literally see the clouds of mosquitoes--thousands of them--just a few feet away and it's like they're hitting a wall.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:02:56 AM EDT
[#25]
There are 2 versions of permethrin. One is water based while the other is petroleum based. I prefer the water based for use on clothing. The petroleum based is more likely to stain clothing and takes much longer to dry than the water based version, sometimes up to 2 days. The petroleum based is better for use if you are going to spray your yard or house foundation as the petroleum supposedly allows it to stay in place better. I use the oil based to spray vegetable plants and the wife's roses. It keeps a wide variety of insects away and only has to be reapplied every 30 days or so. Works great in keeping the Japanese beetles and aphids away. If used on vegetable plants, make sure to read the precautions.

Finally, if you have dog or children that have an area of the yard that they play in, you can use the oil based permethrin to treat the lawn for chiggers, fleas, ticks, etc. Apply it according to directions and its good for weeks and is safe for dogs and children. Supposedly permethrin is only bad for cats when it is still wet, when dry it is supposed to be safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top