Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2014 11:14:27 PM EDT
This was posted in GD a couple of days ago but rapidly trashed .. the news story was pretty thin but had the link to this 51 page document.  it took me a couple of days to get through it in my spare time, and I'm reposting it here because it is honestly the best overall write up on what people like You and I should do when faced with a nuclear threat.  I've read a few different guides over the years, but this was both the most readable and also most applicable in terms of covering shelter types, when to evac, how to evac, and what the .gov response will be

NEW URL

ETA here's the article which referenced the full report

http://theweek.com/article/index/259829/if-a-nuclear-bomb-exploded-in-downtown-washington-what-should-you-do
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:26:52 PM EDT
[#1]

I would worry about far more likely stuff first like a storm, tornado, or job loss first.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:50:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd do the following:

1)I'd worry about having my life in order and enjoying the present. Have a great relationship with my wife, keep both of us happy, have lots of sex and truly enjoy every moment.
I'd take a good long look at how good or bad a parent I am, be honest with myself about the things I could do better and work on that. Teach my kids useful skills, yesterday we practiced staring fires with firesteels and carving with knives, but more important just spend time with them and also understand what they like, like I did just a minute ago explaining my son what "Grub Killer", a character in the Gears of War videogame, probably means. Survival means little if your life isnt work living so quality of life is very important.

2)Worry about my health and fitness level first. A heart attack, high blood pressure, stroke or some other illness are far more likely to kill you than a nuke, there is a lot that can be done so as to minimize the chances of suffering most of the common illnesses and far to few people prepare in that regard.

3)Then I'd worry about being set for far more likely disasters such as storms, fires, job loss, crime.

Only then would I worry about nukes, which I do, but living west and upwind from anything worth dropping a a nuke on means I dont worry that much about that and yes, I did look into it before actually moving so not being downwind from potential targets isnt a matter of luck.

FerFAL
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a copy of the 1988 Kearny Nuclear War Survival Guide kicking around somewhere. (Free download on the web. Just search for it.)

Much more in-depth reading to get you the basic knowledge.

It's worth reading once.  I stop short of actually doing any pre-arranging of things that don't cover other primary uses first.  I don't have a hole to jump into for example.

I'll probably read this one too, but not do anything that doesn't have a dual purpose.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a copy of the 1988 Kearny Nuclear War Survival Guide kicking around somewhere. (Free download on the web. Just search for it.)

Much more in-depth reading to get you the basic knowledge.
View Quote

I've read that also, and while more in depth it doesnt tell the story as well - its much more disjointed and less procedural.  I found this to be much more readable and much more of a direct answer to the question of what to do.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Pretty much.
I work about three blocks from the Capitol, so you know...
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#8]
If you survive, you deal with it.

Otherwise, non issue.

And in a reality based view, so far down the list of crap that can happen, or go wrong, it aint funny.

Has it happened? Yes. But, NO ONE in Fukishima or Chernoybl, regardless of prep status, did anything other than A) Die, B) Get out of Dodge. so, in case of A, I'm good. In case of B, I gots a bag, and the ability to think on my feet..
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Otherwise, non issue.

And in a reality based view, so far down the list of crap that can happen, or go wrong, it aint funny.

Has it happened? Yes. But, NO ONE in Fukishima or Chernoybl, regardless of prep status, did anything other than A) Die, B) Get out of Dodge. so, in case of A, I'm good. In case of B, I gots a bag, and the ability to think on my feet..
View Quote

You are now dead. Congrats.  

For the tl;dr crowd one of the key findinga is that attempting to leave either on foot or in a car is the worst possible decision.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I keep my ass clean, so that when it happens, I can bend over and kiss my ass good bye.

This way, the last thing on earth that I taste isn't poop.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Is the link dead for everyone else?  I would like to read this.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Nuclear war preps were a normal, natural part of survivalism and preparedness up till around 2004-2005.

So many of the new crowd think the only possibility or problem to address is just "X" and so they only focus on preparing for "X". That is if they really prepare at all, or it's just academic study and reading of cute fiction stories on line.

We need to prepare for multiple scenarios, not just our "pet" scenario or the one we feel the most likely right this second.

And we don't need to fall into the trap of being "scared" of certain scenarios, we just need to do some simple preps. We should never prepare out of fear, but to stick our heads up our asses and just think nothing like this could ever happen isn't what a true survivalist does. "The prudent man foresees dangers and hides himself, the FOOL continues on..." type of deal.

Part of good nuclear preps are a big part of just your general common sense preparedness plan- stay away from target areas, food and water, quality shelter, etc. Preps specific to NBC aren't going to set you back all that much and some can be improvised (not the ideal situation but possible).

Lowdown3
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#13]
The way the world is going today, I would be thinking about this more.

Sure I have rad meters, dosimeters, and a way to build a expedient fallout shelter, but in honesty if you are IN a city, and you didn't die in the blast, you are probably in pretty bad shape.  As the ring goes out your chances of survival are much better.  One would need to monitor radiation levels, keep a log of your exposure, and find a way to keep sheltered from any fallout or radiation in the near future.

Its good to read up on this stuff, it may never happen, but its something to be aware of.  

Being in good shape may help here some, keeping some KI may help some, Having a way to shelter is a big help.  Its all about layers of preparedness.  

Would also like to see the original link.

Edited to add: What Lowdown3 said, it seems to have fallen out of vogue to even think about NBC preps anymore.. and it is a real issue to prep for.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holy shit they took it down.  guess it has to be re-posted on wikileaks now?

I have the file but I have no place to post it.  IM me an email address if you want - it's 11 MB

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nuclear war preps were a normal, natural part of survivalism and preparedness up till around 2004-2005.

So many of the new crowd think the only possibility or problem to address is just "X" and so they only focus on preparing for "X". That is if they really prepare at all, or it's just academic study and reading of cute fiction stories on line.

We need to prepare for multiple scenarios, not just our "pet" scenario or the one we feel the most likely right this second.

And we don't need to fall into the trap of being "scared" of certain scenarios, we just need to do some simple preps. We should never prepare out of fear, but to stick our heads up our asses and just think nothing like this could ever happen isn't what a true survivalist does. "The prudent man foresees dangers and hides himself, the FOOL continues on..." type of deal.

Part of good nuclear preps are a big part of just your general common sense preparedness plan- stay away from target areas, food and water, quality shelter, etc. Preps specific to NBC aren't going to set you back all that much and some can be improvised (not the ideal situation but possible).

Lowdown3
View Quote

Do you recall the "stop preparing for YOUR gunfight and start preparing for the Bad-Guys gun fight" thread a few years back - that really opened my eyes to the preconceived notions we all have about what will go down and how we'll be the masters of it.  bullshit.  it will go down in some fucked up way you never imagined, and realizing that is the first step to being ready.  I stopped carrying in a dayplanner and started carrying in a much faster deployment manner after that thread, and similarly, the "type" of disaster is going to vary too!

like on that "doomsday preppers" show - "subject X is preparing for ..." and they list ONE thing.  its like a total tunnel vision.  I'm ready for  a yellowstone supervolcano.  ok great, what about when the nuke hits or when your house burns down?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Not too worried about your OP, but I am concerned about a Fukishima-style melt-down. We gots lots of nuclear reactors around.

How about SCRAM?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:41:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Do you recall the "stop preparing for YOUR gunfight and start preparing for the Bad-Guys gun fight" thread a few years back - that really opened my eyes to the preconceived notions we all have about what will go down and how we'll be the masters of it.  bullshit.  it will go down in some fucked up way you never imagined, and realizing that is the first step to being ready.  I stopped carrying in a dayplanner and started carrying in a much faster deployment manner after that thread, and similarly, the "type" of disaster is going to vary too!

like on that "doomsday preppers" show - "subject X is preparing for ..." and they list ONE thing.  its like a total tunnel vision.  I'm ready for  a yellowstone supervolcano.  ok great, what about when the nuke hits or when your house burns down?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lowdown3

Don't know the specific thread your talking about but I can tell you that it's easy to get people to want to do "modern technique" square range gun training wherein they are standing tall and ready, draw at the buzzer, stand in the exact same place and shoot two rounds in the target then pat themselves on the back. It's much easier to get people to do this than it is to START drills with an airsoft to the back of your head and you have to work from there.

But it's the REACTIVE fight that we as civilians will probably be in versus the proactive fight. Yet few are willing to START a drill mounted on the ground getting pummeled George Zimmerman style and work from there.Or start from a position wherein they are being choked. Nope, instead people want to throw out things like "I'm always in condition yellow" and similar BS wherein they believe they will NEVER be caught off guard, etc. Bullshit.

It's the American mindset of believing you can/will always be in control of a situation and never be behind the curve. That's not realistic, and people that are only training for one thing, be it either a PROACTIVE gunfight or just preparing for ONE scenario, aren't really taking things seriously as they should.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The report (and many others) is on the FAS website.

Google "National Capital Region Key Response Planning Factors for the Aftermath of Nuclear Terrorism".  The FAS PDF is the first entry for me.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Like it has already been pointed out.
Any major nuke event is bad news for the prepared and non-prepared alike.
Dirty bombs, distance is your friend just hope your up wind, a major nuke exchange, we're all domed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Me? In all reality probably die.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

For the tl;dr crowd one of the key findinga is that attempting to leave either on foot or in a car is the worst possible decision.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Otherwise, non issue.

Doubtful. I am willing to bet I have more NBC training than you. I know what to do, what will and won't work, and most of the why's too.. Guess what my secondary MOS was for 26 years...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Like it has already been pointed out.
Any major nuke event is bad news for the prepared and non-prepared alike.
Dirty bombs, distance is your friend just hope your up wind, a major nuke exchange, we're all domed.
View Quote

No we're not - read "You Will Survive Doomsday" by Bruce Clayton or even "How to be a Survivor" by Heinlein. Nukes ain't magic, sucks, yes, but I'd prefer to deal with a large nuke exchange rather than a nasty pandemic.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#24]
If I'm lucky I will die.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If I'm lucky I will die.
View Quote

I just don't get that - what makes a nuke worse than the plague? Economic collapse? Tyrannical government and gulags? Being underneath a tornado? All offer really nasty ways to die, a number of them slow and painful - would you rather be dead than chance all of those? To paraphrase Heinlein, when the Grim Reaper comes for me and mine, I'll be gouging eyes and kicking balls the whole way.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll have front row seats working in between White House and Capitol . So I'll probably be vaporized.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#27]
45 miles from the center of research for nuclear power in teh world.  We do weapon's grade crap in accordance with treaties.  I'm ready for the next life.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm in Miami and I have more to worry about than a nuke.

If it comes down to that, then oh-well.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:37:31 AM EDT
[#29]
I hope to be at ground zero and made into ashes in order to avoid the poopstorm that will immediately follow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Email copyvhere at ar15 please [email protected]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Email copyvhere at ar15 please [email protected]
View Quote

Email sent

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I learned to duck and cover in grade school and to love the bomb. What more could you ask for?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Google "National Capital Region Key Response Planning Factors for the Aftermath of Nuclear Terrorism".  The FAS PDF is the first entry for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here:   http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/dhs/fema/ncr.pdf
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Far enough away from a major city to not have to worry about blast, only fallout. Multistory house with a metal roof helps with that. Staying on the bottom floor for awhile puts distance + mass between us and the dust, should be OK.

I'm not going anywhere. The LAST thing I want to do is try and run and get stuck in traffic in the inevitable mass exodus on the freeways trying to escape the fallout - as it blows all over you. No, we'll hunker down for a few days and enjoy the suck. Enough food and water to last quite a while, Masks and other PPE to venture out after a few days when it's time to start cleaning up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:38:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks OP.  The links in the first post are gtg.

I'm surprised by the number of people who have the attitude that it can't happen.  Obviously you prepare for the most likely threats first, but what I've found is that as I have prepared for the more likely, local and regional events (e.g., financial issues, weather issues, chemical spills, etc), I am actually fairly well prepared for the, lesser likely, more wide spread/national events and just need to buy some specialized items.  

So in reality, b/c of my preps for more highly probable events, prepping for the nuclear event is a) not a lot of work and b) not too expensive to do.  I'd be foolish not to do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top