Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2014 5:33:12 PM EDT
I want to get a really high quality combination lock for a Pelican/Storm case.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone have any ideas?

I think I asked this a couple years ago & someone suggested a lock that was $150 - I was ready to buy at that time but they were out of stock lol

I don't think I want to spend that much at the present time, but still would like a really high quality combination lock.  Actaully probably need 2-4 depending on their size as I have 3 cases I want locked.  Two Storm iM3075 (biggest case they make) and 1 Storm iM2050 (smallest case they make)

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag,

Hope one is TSA compliant.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Go play on amazon and what not and see what pops up.

I am moving and due to some stuff I want to padlock being shared with the owner of the property, I was after keyed alike locks.

I have bought keyed alike stuff from home depot and what not and some of what is on amazon is cheap.  I have spent more than a little time talking to a local locksmith, well local in the nearest decent sized town.

The biggest problem you might have is how thick a hasp you can use.  

I bought 6 keyed alike locks that are halfway decent locks for a chunk of change.  They are a few steps above the common locks found in stock locally and it is impossable locally to find 6 keyed alike locks without special orders and what not.

And I am just in the middle ground at best.

I know what it takes for locks to meet certain requirements for government this or that use and I did not really want to step up to a handful of those.

I have some options for the chains and latches being used, some not even bought yet since I wanted to fit it specifically to the lock size.

Anyway, figure out what size hasp you can fit through and I would look at options from that point.

One thing I am getting ready to do with some odds and ends locking cases, ammo cans, pelican stuff, and whatever else I want to mess with is to make a sort of wrap around metal band that might take a larger lock.  Depending on if this is in a vehicle or something this might allow securing the thing to the seat frame of the vehicle or whatever.

Some of the cheap gun cases are easily popped or peeled open and due to some practice working metal I want to mess with I am going to fiddle around and try some stuff out.

Still not going to keep the real theives from getting stuff.

But I am not much on tiny hasps that are easily cut with bolt cutters or cut off wheels or other stuff.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tag,

View Quote

The TSA will cut off whatever lock you have.  They never use their code or key.  Better to zip tie the case.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tag,

View Quote

For the record if you bring firearms on the airplane you are NOT supposed to use a tsa compliant lock. You and only you should have access to the container and it should only be opened by you in your presence. I keep seeing too much hearsay about this subject that is simply not true.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't buy TSA locks. Seriously, don't.

Every time I check my rifle, its a bit different process: sometimes the gate agent wants to see it, sometimes they don't care. They sometimes ask about ammo (11 lbs rule thingy, though they've never weighed the ammo by itself). You typically need to put their "This is a gun" signed form inside the case (at least on Delta, that's 100%, not sure about other airlines, they have their own polices).

After that its the mostly the same. Take the luggage to over-sized baggage, have TSA inspect it which requires you to unlock your combination lock, then lock it yourself and spin the dials. At no point in time should the TSA ever have access to the gun without you there. I believe one time I didn't even need to open it up for the TSA, they just x-rayed it. If they need access and you're not there, they'll probably call your phone number on the case. If you don't answer, they'll cut your locks. I've never had this happen because I've always watched my rifle case go through the system and confirmed with them that its a-okay.

Read the bold point again.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

For the record if you bring firearms on the airplane you are NOT supposed to use a tsa compliant lock. You and only you should have access to the container and it should only be opened by you in your presence. I keep seeing too much hearsay about this subject that is simply not true.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag,

That's why I keep a copy of this,

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

and this

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/hunting-and-fishing-equipment

printed and enclosed in plain view inside my rifle case while traveling.

It's already proved helpful on my last flight out of San Antonio when a Southwest agent wanted me to remove the ammunition from my hard case and put it in my checked bag. Also having a TSA lock on the case expedited my check in and reading both the TSA regs and the carrier specific regs I can find know rule prohibiting a TSA lock from being applied to a gun case.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:20:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Since the hasp on the Pelican case is made of plastic - Easily defeated with common hand tools - Why does the quality of the padlock matter?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:20:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Since the hasp on the Pelican case is made of plastic - Easily defeated with common hand tools - Why does the quality of the padlock matter?
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

and this

It's already proved helpful on my last flight out of San Antonio when a Southwest agent wanted me to remove the ammunition from my hard case and put it in my checked bag. Also having a TSA lock on the case expedited my check in and reading both the TSA regs and the carrier specific regs I can find know rule prohibiting a TSA lock from being applied to a gun case.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag,

and this

Southwest rules say so actually, its right on their website.

TSA rules say a locked container is one that cannot be accessed.  When you use a TSA lock it can be accessed by an agent with the TSA key.  Its implied.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top