Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2014 4:53:39 AM EDT
We are struggling financially and it will continue for the foreseeable future, but I can't help but feel blessed.  

We have food for months. We have fuel for the genny. Our animals are fed. The kids are not getting any skinnier. Our capabilities are better than ever.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:45:13 AM EDT
[#1]
May GOD bless you / your family and help you through this trying time.
Everything happens for a reason.

RW3
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:47:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Excellent attitude!

We have been in the same boat for about a year. It's a rough transition but with some change its easily adapted to. Being grateful for what we/you have helps immensely and it sounds like you have that part down.

Hopefully things will turn for you and your family. If I recall your wife had/has some health issues that prevent her from working. With any luck that will turn around soon.

This is the reality of " SHTF" Its not roaming bands of raiders or zombies. Its hard times from a littany of causes.

It pays to be a winner!
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Self-induced SHTF scenario because you're prepping?  I'm all about being prepared, but at some point you have to worry about today and tomorrow realistically.  Maybe put off the typical pantry-load at the store for the future and put it towards this week's necessities.  

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I hear ya. We have been struggling since fall.

Great attitude though! I felt the same way. Not only that, I am making the garden bigger this year to save us more money on food bills. Going to get layer hens this week too!

Keep your head up, we'll all pull through this!
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Self-induced SHTF scenario because you're prepping?  I'm all about being prepared, but at some point you have to worry about today and tomorrow realistically.  Maybe put off the typical pantry-load at the store for the future and put it towards this week's necessities.  

Good luck to you.
View Quote

Everything we buy is stuff we eat. No huge caches of mountain house,  but plenty of flats of cans of veggies and fruit. Freezers with beef. Not hundreds of gallons of gas, but dozens.

We are well prepared for life. We just have to be very careful right now. We are still prepared.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#6]
You're a KOOK.

You'll do fine.

Keep pluggin'.

One foot in front of the other....

Now that we're in the "thaw",  you can bring the kids fishing, and heap praise on them for helping to feed the family.

Goes a long way to get the yunguns to appreciate what we have.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We are struggling financially and it will continue for the foreseeable future, but I can't help but feel blessed.  

We have food for months. We have fuel for the genny. Our animals are fed. The kids are not getting any skinnier. Our capabilities are better than ever.
View Quote

Same here, Brother. Got laid off in September. Thanks to this forum, we are having food expire before we can eat it, which is better than starving. I still eat it, just ate 3 tins of 2013 expired sardines. I didnt prep for the end of the world. I prepped for the most likely disaster, a layoff.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, that's the right kind of attitude to have.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:32:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:05:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Excellent attitude!

We have been in the same boat for about a year. It's a rough transition but with some change its easily adapted to. Being grateful for what we/you have helps immensely and it sounds like you have that part down.

Hopefully things will turn for you and your family. If I recall your wife had/has some health issues that prevent her from working. With any luck that will turn around soon.

This is the reality of " SHTF" Its not roaming bands of raiders or zombies. Its hard times from a littany of causes.

It pays to be a winner!
View Quote

My wife hasn't been working for the last few months and her health has improved a lot. She is feeling good enough to go back just enough to cover a few open shifts here and there, but I don't want her working full time any more. I am still working on the occasional machine on the side to make a bit of extra money so that is keeping us going. Her health is my number one priority.

We are not late on a single bill. It's been tough, but we don't have compounding issues building up on us.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Your having a difficult time right now and your positive.

With you the glass is half full not half empty.

I enjoy reading your post, there very informative and I learn from them.

With a positive attitude like yours I'm sure things will turn around for soon.

Best wishes to you and your family.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Times are tough right now batman, I am sure your doing the best that you can!  While I don't have a ton of extra cash I do feel pretty secure in my situation, while not similar to yours, maybe more like a parallel which is probably true for many ARFCOMERS.  New house and property has made things a little tighter but I think it will be right move for the long run.  While I don't have any cool tricked out ARs and no lifted diesel BOV we are doing OK.  Getting out of debt one day at a time.  I also live in a nazi state so my pump action shotgun and bolt action rifle will have to suffice.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I kinda know you from the forum, but don't know your condition, i.e. age, health, etc.

I'm 50 and have survived a transition from truck driving to well fracking in the oil patch. I have been doing it about seven months and am in the best physical shape in many years. It was hard, but I made it. There are a lot of jobs in the oil industry that are unfilled. Truck drivers make $20-$28 per hour with overtime. I get a lot of overtime.

I don't plan on being in this job forever. Once I pay off a lot of bills and get a house payed for (currently renting), I will get a job that keeps me closer to home. I spend two weeks on and one week off. That is tough on the family. Short term it is tolerable.

Just an idea for thought.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I am employed. The loss of my wife's income hurt bad, but it had to happen. Her health above all else.

I have been moved by the generosity of both friends and strangers in the last month. Friends looking out for me without asking and total strangers going out of their way to be kind and thoughtful. It won't be forgotten. I hope to pay it forward soon. All of the people I'm referring to are Arfcommers.  Good people here.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I sure wish I could say the same...cept I'd substitute blessed with pissed.  

I won't get into the specifics but I accepted my third job recently and am working 7 days a week mostly two shifts a day.

I am definitely thankful for my wife, son, and home.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Survival blog had a really interesting article on mturk today.  www.survivalblog.com

Apparently it is a great way to make a few extra bucks on a flexible schedule.

I saved the link just in case I ever need to make ends meet.

Might want to read it and see if it would fit you.

(I haven't used it so can't verify what it claims, but seems like something you might could use)
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:46:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Survival blog had a really interesting article on mturk today.  www.survivalblog.com

Apparently it is a great way to make a few extra bucks on a flexible schedule.

I saved the link just in case I ever need to make ends meet.

Might want to read it and see if it would fit you.

(I haven't used it so can't verify what it claims, but seems like something you might could use)
View Quote

That's kind of interesting, actually.  Might have to have my college-kids-looking-for-jobs try it out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:13:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I sure wish I could say the same...cept I'd substitute blessed with pissed.  

I won't get into the specifics but I accepted my third job recently and am working 7 days a week mostly two shifts a day.

I am definitely thankful for my wife, son, and home.  

-Emt1581
View Quote

Sounds like a heavy load EMT, be careful of stress, I'm sure you know that already.

Talk to someone you trust and make adjustments, don't let things get out of hand.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sounds like a heavy load EMT, be careful of stress, I'm sure you know that already.

Talk to someone you trust and make adjustments, don't let things get out of hand.

View Quote

I'm not sure what you mean about talking to someone I trust and making adjustments.  We've pretty much tightened our belts as much as they can go.  And while we have no debt (other than our mortgage), the 3 jobs is just so we can live month to month.  Any major add-ons would mean selling our preps (guns, ammo, bullion, etc.).

Good news is it's just for 1.5-2yrs.  After that things should be much better due to a pay increase/promotion for me and not having to pay $12K a year for child care.  And at that point I won't have forgotten all the family that screwed us over and pulled away when we needed them most.  At the same time hopefully I'll have busted my ass enough to build a good relationship with a brother I was basically trained to hate since early childhood.  Certainly a screwed up affair if I ever saw one!  

...like I said...PISSED!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what you mean about talking to someone I trust and making adjustments.  We've pretty much tightened our belts as much as they can go.  And while we have no debt (other than our mortgage), the 3 jobs is just so we can live month to month.  Any major add-ons would mean selling our preps (guns, ammo, bullion, etc.).

Good news is it's just for 1.5-2yrs.  After that things should be much better due to a pay increase/promotion for me and not having to pay $12K a year for child care.  And at that point I won't have forgotten all the family that screwed us over and pulled away when we needed them most.  At the same time hopefully I'll have busted my ass enough to build a good relationship with a brother I was basically trained to hate since early childhood.  Certainly a screwed up affair if I ever saw one!  

...like I said...PISSED!

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...like I said...PISSED!

-Emt1581

EMT, I was referring to the stress of such a workload, and if it became an issue, talk w/ someone.

That's a lot of hours for one man.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Batman, I still DO NOT LIKE multifunction flashlights, But I UNDERSTAND your feelings.

TJ, Thank you again for your mature and well reasoned view....

Quoted:
You know, I have more now than I have my entire life and for that matter most people I know but I started life with the shirt on my back.  There was times if I didn't shoot it, there wasn't meat on the menu.  

Funny how I look back at those times now as the good times.  

You see life is what we make of it and happiness is a state of mind.  Life is like playing toy soldiers as a kid with corn kernels as your army.  You are just as happy as if you had store bought ones.  If I've learned one thing in life, its hard times do make us better.  That indeed is why we all prepare.  Its not for war, pestilence, or even zombies.  Its preparing for hard times so we have more time for the corn kernels in life  Fun is where we find it and it is in the hunt not the kill.  

Tj
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Well done OP, well done sir.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Do everything you can to live within your means and stretch your dollar.  This is how I was raised.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
EMT, I was referring to the stress of such a workload, and if it became an issue, talk w/ someone.

That's a lot of hours for one man.

View Quote

Oh ok.  Lucky for me the two primary jobs are counseling...so no shortage of people to talk to if need be.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I know the feeling . I got downsized 2 years ago at work. been picking up some part time work and selling some stuff . I have been doing ok. not great but not as bad as I could be .
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Batman, I still DO NOT LIKE multifunction flashlights, But I UNDERSTAND your feelings.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
You know, I have more now than I have my entire life and for that matter most people I know but I started life with the shirt on my back.  There was times if I didn't shoot it, there wasn't meat on the menu.  

Funny how I look back at those times now as the good times.  

You see life is what we make of it and happiness is a state of mind.  Life is like playing toy soldiers as a kid with corn kernels as your army.  You are just as happy as if you had store bought ones.  If I've learned one thing in life, its hard times do make us better.  That indeed is why we all prepare.  Its not for war, pestilence, or even zombies.  Its preparing for hard times so we have more time for the corn kernels in life  Fun is where we find it and it is in the hunt not the kill.  

Tj

I still Jones for more flashlights, but I keep my eye on the prize of keeping the bills paid another month.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I make about 70% of what I did four years ago, and the prices of everything keep going up.
Things aren't that great for us, but we're still in the fight!
Rock on, batmanacw!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Easter dinner. Chicken breast on the grill. Every window in the house open. Kids home and happy. Feeling great.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:14:46 AM EDT
[#30]
porcupine eggs, corn on cob, & broccoli
here

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#31]
You know, this is exactly why I preach self-sustainability. My mother is a prepper (of the hoarder class). She has a metric shit ton of stuff, including food. Basically no way to get more. She has a small garden, but it is of the hobby size. She is young enough to do more. We would often go in on Sam's Club and Costco shopping trips, and get food there. My wife and I have really slowed down on the massive stockpile. We are putting all extra money and effort toward our mini farm. I figure, and have explained to my mother, that storing food is needed, and great. However, once that is gone, then what? HOW do you get more food?

I plan on being able to live off our property at a moment's notice. At any given time, we can switch to full out bug-in mode. In the mean time (or "normal" times) we will simply eat VERY HEALTHY and for CHEAP, which in the land of ever increasing food prices is money in the bank. We also plan on selling excess. Example: We need about 6-8 laying hens for all the eggs we could use. If we double that number, we can sell organic eggs at premium price and make money. No extra work. $2.50/dozen eggs is the going rate. So, that works out to conservatively bring in about $200 a MONTH or $2,400 a YEAR in profit. This for doing what we would be doing anyway. Post SHTF, a dozen fresh eggs ought to trade well. (Now accepting silver/gold )

Point being: Once you control your own food (and can make money on the excess) that takes a HUGE worry and financial hardship off the family unit. This book explains the family economic benefit of mini farming fairly well: Link (I have loaned out that book to my mother )
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Glad you are doing well Batman.  It is always great when living within your means and saving up pays off.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:55:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You know, this is exactly why I preach self-sustainability. My mother is a prepper (of the hoarder class). She has a metric shit ton of stuff, including food. Basically no way to get more. She has a small garden, but it is of the hobby size. She is young enough to do more. We would often go in on Sam's Club and Costco shopping trips, and get food there. My wife and I have really slowed down on the massive stockpile. We are putting all extra money and effort toward our mini farm. I figure, and have explained to my mother, that storing food is needed, and great. However, once that is gone, then what? HOW do you get more food?

I plan on being able to live off our property at a moment's notice. At any given time, we can switch to full out bug-in mode. In the mean time (or "normal" times) we will simply eat VERY HEALTHY and for CHEAP, which in the land of ever increasing food prices is money in the bank. We also plan on selling excess. Example: We need about 6-8 laying hens for all the eggs we could use. If we double that number, we can sell organic eggs at premium price and make money. No extra work. $2.50/dozen eggs is the going rate. So, that works out to conservatively bring in about $200 a MONTH or $2,400 a YEAR in profit. This for doing what we would be doing anyway. Post SHTF, a dozen fresh eggs ought to trade well. (Now accepting silver/gold )

Point being: Once you control your own food (and can make money on the excess) that takes a HUGE worry and financial hardship off the family unit. This book explains the family economic benefit of mini farming fairly well: Link (I have loaned out that book to my mother )
View Quote

You are absolutely correct. No question.

We are looking at the cost to fence in the back pasture and building a small 3 sided building for a bull calf. We have a 2.5 acre pasture full of yummy clover and grass. That could be 400 lbs of meat in one summer.

We have a dozen chickens and are thinking about doubling that when we buy new ones next year.

We are looking into alternative ways to feed the chickens too.

Our gardening skills are lacking but we can make a go of it if we need to.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:13:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Feed the chickens food scraps, veggie clippings, basically any kind of food waste. Isn't much they won't eat. Let them free range as much as possible, that way food during the summer is free.

If you run a bug zapper: Free food for the girls. If you run a light at night, place a bucket with a couple inches of water under the light and it will fill up with bugs at night (works around here, anyway). Free protein. Are the grassy weeds seeding out? Yup, our chickens always have loved the seeds. I raise my chickens under an oak tree. They love the half rotten acorns and find plenty of bugs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We are looking at the cost to fence in the back pasture and building a small 3 sided building for a bull calf. We have a 2.5 acre pasture full of yummy clover and grass. That could be 400 lbs of meat in one summer.

We have a dozen chickens and are thinking about doubling that when we buy new ones next year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to hear your wife is doing better.  Glad to hear you've kept your chin up.  Like you, we've been through some tough times - we moved to CO to secure more stable employment, so we moved on our terms, but we lost a lot and took a huge financial hit in the process and it'll take a number of years to get back to where we were.  Hard times make you realize what is really important.

I'm sure you know this, but b/c you're fencing for a cow, you can go w/ barbed wire and t-posts versus field wire and 6"-8" wood posts at your corners and in-line bracing.  I used a product called Wedge-loc link to save money.  They allow you to use t-posts for corners and in-line bracing.  They do a good job and offer plenty of strength and holding power.  First time I used them, my neighbor said it wouldn't work and I should spend more money on the wood posts, I was in school at the time and couldn't afford the wood posts.  Five years later when we moved, the fences were still tight as the first day I installed them.

As far as a cheap building goes, I have seen some pretty ingenious use of pallets, which you usually can find free.  You're opting for function over form, but it's cheap.

ETA:  +1 to what Rat Patrol said.  Our chickens were free range and we didn't spend much money on feeding them - no money in the spring and summer.  We ran a bug zapper as well.  Our ducks figured it out quick and actually would sleep under the zapper so they had first claim to the pile of bugs in the morning.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
My wife hasn't been working for the last few months and her health has improved a lot. She is feeling good enough to go back just enough to cover a few open shifts here and there, but I don't want her working full time any more. I am still working on the occasional machine on the side to make a bit of extra money so that is keeping us going. Her health is my number one priority.

We are not late on a single bill. It's been tough, but we don't have compounding issues building up on us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent attitude!

It pays to be a winner!

It's those compounding issues that will eventually drag most people down.  I'm very encouraged that you've been able to choose health over lifestyle maintenance.  Most folks in the U.S. can't make that decision for themselves.  That puts you guys way out ahead of the curve in my book.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

Just checked my math. Don't know where i got that number. 8 chickens is more like $400 a year

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top