Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2014 5:04:25 PM EDT

Seems as if they might be good for something, but I have no idea what. Don't think I'd use them for water storage, as a) it just seems gross and b) who knows what kind of chemicals are in there.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I use them when I change my oil and such. Much easier than trying to fill quart jugs.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI.  I used mine for waste oil as well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#3]
A temporary bathroom?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
x3 on the waste oil

Also cut one into a scoop shape for scooping sand and salt in the winter, but could be used for other stuff like grain, maybe gardening topsoil, etc.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use them when I change my oil and such. Much easier than trying to fill quart jugs.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

http://img3.targetimg3.com/wcsstore/TargetSAS//img/p/14/91/14910486_201310161706.jpg

Seems as if they might be good for something, but I have no idea what. Don't think I'd use them for water storage, as a) it just seems gross and b) who knows what kind of chemicals are in there.
View Quote

I store my cleaned, reload-able brass in them, sorted by caliber.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://img3.targetimg3.com/wcsstore/TargetSAS//img/p/14/91/14910486_201310161706.jpg

Winner. I like that idea. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#8]
DO NOT store used motor oil in them AND leave outside. The sun kills the plastic, don't ask how I know.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I use them to hold my reloading tumbling media, corn or walnut, after I open the bag they come in from walmart or the pet store.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:16:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I put the driveway/sidewalk salt in 'em. Easier to use one of those than shaking a big bag on an icy sidewalk.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:00:42 AM EDT
[#11]
i cut them up and make spreaders for my favorite tool....EPOXY......works great.

I also cut one up and made an organizer for my oversized console in my Tundra.

I always keep a few stashed in the shed for oddball items.

Last week i cut the side out of one and stored some market lights that i have to repair.  Squirrel chewed through one of the wires.  New string is $ 20 but the bucket protects the lights from damage till i get to it.

I also save the square buckets the cat food comes in....
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Why don't you buy bigger containers of litter to save money?

Anyway, when I get some from my yuppy sister-in-law, they get used for changing automotive fluids (but not stored in them).

I like the tumbler media idea..
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I would put Kitty Litter in them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
DO NOT store used motor oil in them AND leave outside. The sun kills the plastic, don't ask how I know.
View Quote

Hello from a fellow member of the "newly created EPA superfund site" club.

It's pretty clear that these containers are NOT UV protected, so keep that in mind when reusing them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Anyway, when I get some from my yuppy sister-in-law, they get used for changing automotive fluids (but not stored in them).

I like the tumbler media idea..
View Quote

I like the buckets.

Repurposed Kitty Litter Bucket Storage Rack

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repurposed-Kitty-Litter-Storage-Rack/all/?lang=zh

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=1841&v=2O

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Fill it with tannerite.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just switched to these jugs from another brand (which comes in a cardboard box) and I didn't even know there were larger containers. I'll check that out.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Walmart has them in the square buckets. Lord, do we have square buckets

We just started buying it at Costco (same litter) in big cardboard boxes even cheaper/lb.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I put cat food in a couple. I had trouble with raccoons getting into cat food bag, so I used a few for storage. Didn't work. Raccoons just unscrewed the lids. Ended up moving everything inside,but kept putting cat food in containers. Keeps cats out of cat food very well. Kitties can't unscrew lids. If cats had opposable thumbs, I'd have been found dead long ago.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Tannerite container?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fill it with tannerite.
View Quote

Two votes for it.

Anyone else with us?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I've done 2 pounds of tannerite and a gallon of gas before..

This would be more

However, nowhere near this level: Link to arfcom discussion of local even
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#24]

WOW!!  You can't imagine how many of these things I've given away, thrown away, or recycled 'cause I didn't know what to do with 'em
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A temporary bathroom?
View Quote

Very useful as a wizz-can.

The large opening makes aiming easy, and the handle on the top allows one-handed operation.

Add a few teaspoons of chemical toilet deodorant, and you're GTG.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I fill them with Tannerite and have fun!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Make a scoop out of it to harvest water from surface sources.

I used to keep four of them full of water for flushing toilets. Note however they are not meant to last forever, rotate them if possible. 4 gallons of water on the floor is a different ballpark from 4 gallons of cat litter.

They also make pretty good "weights" if you want to do a little lifting at home without spending any money.

I use a different litter now so no longer have access to them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I store cat food (from bags), and my ready to use dry goods like rice, pinto beans, sugar, etc. in them after cleaning. They just happen to fit in my pantry perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#29]
They make good piss buckets.  Like for camping or if you slept in an un-heated room / house in the middle of winter....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top