Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2014 1:18:03 PM EDT
A few years ago I wanted to see what a Glock knife could take in regard to use and a LOT of extreme abuse.  So I thumped on it for a few months straight.  I took stumps out of the ground (bush/brush), split a lot of wood, froze it in a bucket of water/ice over a winter, buried it in the ground for a year, thumped on it some more with a sledge hammer....and I still have it today.

While it's not pretty and is pretty dinged up, with a quick filing, it's still useable.  

Now they don't hold a wonderful edge and need frequent sharpening, but for the price they work.  

Anyone have some in their kits?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A few years ago I wanted to see what a Glock knife could take in regard to use and a LOT of extreme abuse.  So I thumped on it for a few months straight.  I took stumps out of the ground (bush/brush), split a lot of wood, froze it in a bucket of water/ice over a winter, buried it in the ground for a year, thumped on it some more with a sledge hammer....and I still have it today.

While it's not pretty and is pretty dinged up, with a quick filing, it's still useable.  

Now they don't hold a wonderful edge and need frequent sharpening, but for the price they work.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

I am a huge fan of the Glock field knife.  I have one I used pretty hard for a while, and I also have two new spares...  I consider them a good hard use knife and will be my go to blade for a zombie apocalypse

Mora's are my favorite for all around general use, but if I need to pry something open and or hack the heck out of it, Glock is my go to.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll start by saying I LIKE the Glock Field Knife. I do find a few problems with it, though.

The sheath lock is TOO effective. I found it quite difficult to remove the knife, especially when on a belt. I took a razor and carefully shaved hair after hair off the plastic locking ledge until it still clicked in strong but was MUCH easier to remove the knife with a nudge of the thumb as I lift upward. MUCH more manageable, now.

Having tried to use the knife, the overall design screams DAGGER, not Field Knife. When in the field, it's better than NOT having a knife, but it's not great. It's rather long, narrow, and thick. I'd be inclined to resign it more to a combat role (and maybe prying and other abusive jobs) seeing as it's basically a bayonet, while carrying a Mora to do tasks requiring a proper edge.

The pommel void could be made useful, but from the factory is kinda wasted. The cap needs prying off, and gets chewed up from doing so. It's not made for being removed and returned as one would when keeping survival-related items inside. I'm trying to jury-rig a new pommel cap to make use of the space, or might leave it off so as to make fashioning a spear quicker should the need arise.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one. It seems well made. It is not like I use it a lot.

I agree with the poster that said it is more of a dagger or a bayonet than a field knife though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll start by saying I LIKE the Glock Field Knife. I do find a few problems with it, though.

The sheath lock is TOO effective. I found it quite difficult to remove the knife, especially when on a belt. I took a razor and carefully shaved hair after hair off the plastic locking ledge until it still clicked in strong but was MUCH easier to remove the knife with a nudge of the thumb as I lift upward. MUCH more manageable, now.

Having tried to use the knife, the overall design screams DAGGER, not Field Knife. When in the field, it's better than NOT having a knife, but it's not great. It's rather long, narrow, and thick. I'd be inclined to resign it more to a combat role (and maybe prying and other abusive jobs) seeing as it's basically a bayonet, while carrying a Mora to do tasks requiring a proper edge.

The pommel void could be made useful, but from the factory is kinda wasted. The cap needs prying off, and gets chewed up from doing so. It's not made for being removed and returned as one would when keeping survival-related items inside. I'm trying to jury-rig a new pommel cap to make use of the space, or might leave it off so as to make fashioning a spear quicker should the need arise.
View Quote

As for the pommel...that's a solid handle no?  I mean I smashed the cap off on one of mine and there is a steel ring underneath not a hollow cavity.  

The knife is actually a pretty decent worker in my experience.  Yes, it is a more slender design but what tasks does that really effect?  I agree about the edge though.  A Mora will put it to shame.  Same with the rounded tip...Glocks are the only ones I've seen with that dull of a tip instead of a more needle-like/pointed one.  

With the sheath, try doing it one handed a few hundred times, you'll get used to it and you'll see it really is an effective and excellent design.  Up until I mangled the hilt, mine locked in true every time.  Plus it's easy to do one handed...but again you have to get used to it because there aren't any other designs out there like it.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am a huge fan of the Glock field knife.  I have one I used pretty hard for a while, and I also have two new spares...  I consider them a good hard use knife and will be my go to blade for a zombie apocalypse

Mora's are my favorite for all around general use, but if I need to pry something open and or hack the heck out of it, Glock is my go to.

<a href="http://s109.photobucket.com/user/thederrick106/media/Gear/PICT0053.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Gear/PICT0053.jpg</a>
View Quote

You gotta get one in desert tan.

Now I see the glocks and moras but I'm also seeing a LOT of made in pakistan/china blades.  Be VERY careful with those!! As a kid when I started collecting I used to buy a ton of those from Smokey Mountain Knife Works...more for the thrill of getting weapons in the mail in middle school than anything else.  Anyway, when putting them to any kind of use they were quick to bend, snap, and break.  Again, be careful!!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Question for all who answered......Op please forgive hijack........in your car/truck survival hit which would you have in it....a mora or glock ? getting ready to order 3 knives for car/truck bags
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As for the pommel...that's a solid handle no?  I mean I smashed the cap off on one of mine and there is a steel ring underneath not a hollow cavity.  
View Quote

It's not a LARGE cavity. Big enough that you can get creative with it, but that's not what it was designed for.

When I say it's basically a bayonet, I don't mean it's similar to one. It's literally a bayonet.

I forget what rifle it goes to, but a quick search of "Glock Knife bayonet" will EVENTUALLY lead you do some pictorial source material. You just have to wade through a thousand pages talking about those shitty KaBar pic-rail bayonets mounted to Glock pistols.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Question for all who answered......Op please forgive hijack........in your car/truck survival hit which would you have in it....a mora or glock ? getting ready to order 3 knives for car/truck bags
View Quote

No problem with the hijack.  

Personally I put a Glock in my ammo can kits and I do have several of each.  Reason being, a Glock will do everything a Mora will do and a LOT more.  The ONLY tradeoffs are weight and edge.  But again, with a file, rock, etc. you can bring a Glock's edge back.  Still will never be as sharp as a Mora.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's not a LARGE cavity. Big enough that you can get creative with it, but that's not what it was designed for.

When I say it's basically a bayonet, I don't mean it's similar to one. It's literally a bayonet.

I forget what rifle it goes to, but a quick search of "Glock Knife bayonet" will EVENTUALLY lead you do some pictorial source material. You just have to wade through a thousand pages talking about those shitty KaBar pic-rail bayonets mounted to Glock pistols.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now if Glock would only make a rifle for their "Bayonet".  

Honestly, it's got a pretty shitty tip on it for use as a bayonet.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:

-Emt1581

You can stab someone with a butter knife if you put the mass of a rifle behind it and push forward. It COULD be pointer, but considering how the edge holds, would it STAY pointier? I think by leaving a slightly dull tip, it's much less prone to damage.

Quoted:

For a car kit, I'd suggest the Glock Knife. That's the tool for prying, batoning, beating on, etc. If I could only have ONE cheap knife to get me through an emergency situation, that's it.

The Mora is a much better cutter, much sharper, holds its edge longer, but cannot take the abuse. If I had to choose one cheap knife for general camping, it's the Mora. But I'd want a hatchet/saw to go with it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Now I see the glocks and moras but I'm also seeing a LOT of made in pakistan/china blades.  Be VERY careful with those!! As a kid when I started collecting I used to buy a ton of those from Smokey Mountain Knife Works...more for the thrill of getting weapons in the mail in middle school than anything else.  Anyway, when putting them to any kind of use they were quick to bend, snap, and break.  Again, be careful!!

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s109.photobucket.com/user/thederrick106/media/Gear/PICT0053.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Gear/PICT0053.jpg</a>

-Emt1581

The other ones are nothing special... Just a couple tackle box throw away.

My main collection of blades consist of Mora, Glock, Buck, Leatherman, and Victorinox.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My main collection of blades consist of Mora, Glock, Buck, Leatherman, and Victorinox.
View Quote

Get yourself some Cold Steel blades.  They are SUPER knives and are only slightly more than the Glock knives.  They can get pricey though.  

The Busse series (Busse, Swamp Rat, Scrap Yard) are also excellent blades although expensive and sort of a snobby following.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a couple of the Glock knives w/sawback.

My experience with the sawbuck, though limited, is that it's not very efficient.

Anyone else have any luck sawing with their sawback Glock knife?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've got a couple of the Glock knives w/sawback.

My experience with the sawbuck, though limited, is that it's not very efficient.

Anyone else have any luck sawing with their sawback Glock knife?
View Quote

I think it's called a root saw.  For thinner roots it worked just fine but for thicker ones, not to much.  I just used the blade and a sledge hammer...worked just fine.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:39:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

I like that CUTCO knife you have there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#16]
The saw on mine worked ok for what it was.  I sawed down saplings with it with a little work.   It definitely helped when cutting down small springy scrub brush and saplings.  A machete or bolo would be handier but for green stuff to use for camouflaging etc it was ok.  The bottle opener is more useful though IMHO- lol.

Some info on the bayonet adapter:
http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/Austria/Austria_2.html It was designed to be used akin to a 98 Mauser bayonet- unsupported by a muzzle ring.

STG58:

AUG:

Catalog:
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Yea its a neat knife, I don't use it very much...  Its a 1069 "hunting knife."

I never really looked them up before but they appear to be pretty pricey.

As far as blades go I have no shortage, (some might say I have a complex.)  I would love to add an ESEE but my current goal is to build my savings to cover at least 6 months of expenses.  Mora's Buck's and Glock's will have to do until then
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The saw on mine worked ok for what it was.  I sawed down saplings with it with a little work.   It definitely helped when cutting down small springy scrub brush and saplings.  A machete or bolo would be handier but for green stuff to use for camouflaging etc it was ok.  The bottle opener is more useful though IMHO- lol.

Some info on the bayonet adapter:
http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/Austria/Austria_2.html It was designed to be used akin to a 98 Mauser bayonet- unsupported by a muzzle ring.

STG58:
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1278759101-2295824.jpg

AUG:
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1278759033-2296144.gif

Catalog:
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1278759123-2295822.jpg
View Quote

VERY interesting!! I've never seen that before!  

I have an AUG clone (MSAR).  It's strictly a hallway/HD gun due to it's compact size.  However, I can't imagine using a single point attached bayonet.  Seems like it'd bend/snap off and possibly damage the barrel if used.  

I'd still like to have the attachment kit as a novelty though.  

Thanks for sharing the pics!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So what's the best vendor for price/variety of Glock knives?

Same Question for Mora knives.
View Quote

In both cases I just use ebay or amazon.  Ebay is usually cheaper.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Get yourself some Cold Steel blades.  They are SUPER knives and are only slightly more than the Glock knives.  They can get pricey though.  

The Busse series (Busse, Swamp Rat, Scrap Yard) are also excellent blades although expensive and sort of a snobby following.

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

Hey! I take offense to that!
Busse are beasts, so are Swamp Rat and Scrap Yard knives. For my BO/Survival&Emergency Kit bag I have a Busse Boss Jack which doubles as a short prybar in my plans.

(not my pic, but same knife and same grip)
As for cheap sharp knives, I like Hultafors a lot. The Hevy Duty model is a little beast, tried and fail to break it. Sure, anything can be broken but I used that thing as a chisel until I got tired of wacking it with a metal hammer and I couldnt snap it. Many knives costing several times as much would have broken after a few wacks on the spine.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought that knife looked familiar. I have one sitting in a box of junk knives I have accumulated over the years. Does anyone know more about these?
Mine is a CUTCO 1763

Sorry for the Hijack.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Busse are beasts, so are Swamp Rat and Scrap Yard knives. For my BO/Survival&Emergency Kit bag I have a Busse Boss Jack which doubles as a short prybar in my plans.
http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n508/jaxs168/BJCG%20and%20511%20use/IMAG0169.jpg
As for cheap sharp knives, I like Hultafors a lot. The Hevy Duty model is a little beast, tried and fail to break it. Sure, anything can be broken but I used that thing as a chisel until I got tired of wacking it with a metal hammer and I couldnt snap it. Many knives costing several times as much would have broken after a few wacks on the spine.
FerFAL
View Quote

Well you're one of the exceptions there Fernando!

But I'll stick by my original statement about MOST of the Busse cult being snobs.  And the company itself is snobby...don't like the one or two knives we offer every so often, who cares?...our cult will buy them.  I stopped following ever since they did away with the competition finish.  I'm not mad that they stopped doing it, but I wholeheartedly disagree with their reasoning for it.  It was 100% because enough jackasses would order it and then want to return it because of the pitting and such.  Instead of creating a waiver or something to that effect for future buyers, they said that no one could have it anymore.  

Their knives are indeed beasts though!  But for what they cost, I've kept my 3 new and just bring out my TGLB when watching Walking Dead.  

Never heard of Hultafors.  I'll look into them.

My favorite users are still Cold Steel.  Amazing blades!! ESEE are great to, just more expensive for what you get.  

I'm going to have to do a vid on the Glock I beat the piss out of though just to talk about and show what mine was capable of.  A pic or two wouldn't do it justice.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I thought that knife looked familiar. I have one sitting in a box of junk knives I have accumulated over the years. Does anyone know more about these?
Mine is a CUTCO 1763
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/GSGMAN/cutco1763_zps0821b1a1.jpg

Sorry for the Hijack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is a CUTCO 1763
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/GSGMAN/cutco1763_zps0821b1a1.jpg

Sorry for the Hijack.

I received a cutco hunting knife as a gift a few years ago. Have yet to really use it. Seems it may work good cutting through joints. Kinda looks like a fancy steak knife.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So what's the best vendor for price/variety of Glock knives?

Same Question for Mora knives.
View Quote

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

Ragnar is a good guy to deal with, his site has everything Mora, and he educates you a little about them as well.  Last time I ordered shipping was very reasonable.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:23:28 AM EDT
[#26]
ive beat on my g81 since the early 90's

the sheath is ok. the snap will lossen over use,,same forthe belt loop.

edge is ok,,gotta sharpen a lot. for the sub 30$...it was worth it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
ive beat on my g81 since the early 90's
the sheath is ok. the snap will lossen over use,,same forthe belt loop.
edge is ok,,gotta sharpen a lot. for the sub 30$...it was worth it.
View Quote

I never had the snap loosen on me despite my knife basically being destroyed.  As I said earlier, it wasn't until I pounded the hilt to an off-angle that it will no longer snap in place.

Only ever had the belt loop come undone one time and that was when I was squatting and then bent just the right way.  Even then it didn't fall off or anything, it was just not latched.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Personally I put a Glock in my ammo can kits and I do have several of each.  Reason being, a Glock will do everything a Mora will do and a LOT more.  The ONLY tradeoffs are weight and edge.  But again, with a file, rock, etc. you can bring a Glock's edge back.  Still will never be as sharp as a Mora.

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

Different uses. A "car knife" is going to be used as a screwdriver, pry bar, hammer, hack saw, etc. Probably will hardly be used as an actual knife. In that role the glock would be fine and probably better than most moras.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n508/jaxs168/BJCG%20and%20511%20use/IMAG0169.jpg
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

FerFAL

I've got a number of offerings from Scrapyard. Other than rusting I've never had any issues. They are great blades for the money. If you can afford to get infi do yourself a favor and do so.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Glock knife?  Heck, I don't even have a Glock pistol.  :)
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've got a number of offerings from Scrapyard. Other than rusting I've never had any issues. They are great blades for the money. If you can afford to get infi do yourself a favor and do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

FerFAL

INFI is great stuff. Dont get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a solid 1095 or even 1075 and 1055 knives if HT properly, but INFI does hold an edge pretty nicely and is very tough. I know it can be expensive, and sure Busse can be snobby but its the nicest steel I've found so far.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:45:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Glock knife?  Heck, I don't even have a Glock pistol.  :)
View Quote

thats cuz your stubborn lol

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think there is a bit of trick to removing the Glock knife from the scabbard. Slide your index finger right down the handle and under the latch with your fingernail touching the latch, while your other 3 fingers and thumb withdraw the knife. It pops right into my hand ready to go doing it that way. I had a hell of a time before I figured to do that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think there is a bit of trick to removing the Glock knife from the scabbard. Slide your index finger right down the handle and under the latch with your fingernail touching the latch, while your other 3 fingers and thumb withdraw the knife. It pops right into my hand ready to go doing it that way. I had a hell of a time before I figured to do that.
View Quote

Yup, there's a couple ways to do it, but like I said you need to do it a bunch of times to get it into muscle memory.  Once you do that it far surpasses any sheaths with traditional snaps, velcro, etc.  Reason being, there's no real movement/shifting of the parts or needing to balance anything.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I have one in my ghb, I like it esp. the weight.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 6:47:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have one in my ghb, I like it esp. the weight.
View Quote

That is true.  For all of the bells and whistles the knife/sheath has, it's pretty light.  I'd go so far as to say, for the length and thickness of blade it's the lightest I've seen.

Now I did break out my abused Glock knife and an unused tan version as well as my Busse Boss Jack to do a review, comparison...and just overall evidence of what the Glock knife can handle, but then I realized I had no tri-pod or any way to do a decent video.  So I'll find a decent/cheap tri-pod and maybe post a vid in a month or so.  I've got a few that I want to do.  Just basic vids on gear/experience.  My nalgene setup is another one.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Plain version?  I'd only seen them at the gun show at the Glock booth and he always had the saw version.

Now I have to get one ... I think.  

Tough choice between the M7 bayonet and the Glock knife

Link Posted: 2/10/2014 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone have any info on where I could buy just the scabbard for a Glock knife? I have no earthly idea how, but I lost mine and now have a Glock knife with no way to carry it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Anyone have any info on where I could buy just the scabbard for a Glock knife? I have no earthly idea how, but I lost mine and now have a Glock knife with no way to carry it.
View Quote

Hmm, now that's a different request.  Honestly, they are so cheap, I can't see anyone selling the sheath.  And even though my one knife is totally mutilated and the sheath is in perfect condition, I don't really have a desire to sell it.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Hmm, now that's a different request.  Honestly, they are so cheap, I can't see anyone selling the sheath.  And even though my one knife is totally mutilated and the sheath is in perfect condition, I don't really have a desire to sell it.

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-Emt1581

Perhaps have someone make you one from Kydex?

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Cheap, hard use knife?   -- Cold Steel Bushman for me --  I have several of them and one in every vehicle  --- I dont abuse them on purpose, but they will take a beating ---  wouldnt hesitate to do things with them i never would with my big Randall  --- sharp enough to finely slice a tomato

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cheap, hard use knife?   -- Cold Steel Bushman for me --  I have several of them and one in every vehicle  --- I dont abuse them on purpose, but they will take a beating ---  wouldnt hesitate to do things with them i never would with my big Randall  --- sharp enough to finely slice a tomato

<a href="http://s211.photobucket.com/user/streetstar707/media/Decorated%20images/IMG_0345.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb285/streetstar707/Decorated%20images/IMG_0345.jpg</a>
View Quote

I've got a Bushman.  It's a pretty good knife.  But it sucks for splitting wood and batoning due to how thin the blade is.  Really no thickness/wedge to it.  

Plus the lack of a hilt makes me VERY leery of using it for stabbing.  

But a good price-point last ditch/handout knife for sure!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've got a Bushman.  It's a pretty good knife.  But it sucks for splitting wood and batoning due to how thin the blade is.  Really no thickness/wedge to it.  

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s211.photobucket.com/user/streetstar707/media/Decorated%20images/IMG_0345.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb285/streetstar707/Decorated%20images/IMG_0345.jpg</a>

-Emt1581

Good points

I'll stick to my hatchet or tomahawk for splitting wood though --

I dont consider it a defensive knife , although if you prescribed to the filipino method of "de-fanging the snake" - the long shallow blade profile would work quite well for that -  but i look at it as more of a rough use camp or car emergency knife than a fighter  or a stabbing tool also  

Just a bit miffed about the kydex Cold Steel uses on almost everything now it seems though --the force required to remove the knife from some of these sheaths is ridiculous  ---cut myself on a little CS push dagger because of this -- tried to draw it from belt carry and it wanted to give me a wedgie prior to release
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top