BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:49:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Some days I wish they would bring back the Golf Country, and the TDI would be a perfect engine to do it with.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/Vw_golf_country_v_sst.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess I'd just use my 2000 VW Golf GLS TDI.  It's not a 4x4, but it has a factory steel skid plate which protects the engine, transaxle and axles, a limited slip differential and a heavy iron block right over the drive wheels, which are equipped with good tires.  The only thing I've found wanting for my purposes is ground clearance, and shortly after tax season, it'll be wearing a 2" suspension lift and 205/70R15s, which will give it between 6" and 7" of ground clearance.

Some days I wish they would bring back the Golf Country, and the TDI would be a perfect engine to do it with.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/Vw_golf_country_v_sst.jpg

This thing rocks.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:58:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

In my original post, I think I also said it had to be a daily driver.

Unless you ARE a garbage collector, I don't see driving one to a regular job very......uh.....pleasant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ding Ding Ding - We have a Winner!!!!
This is defiantly the best one yet and for all the afore mentioned reasons.
Seriously who is going to pay attention a garbage truck? No one!
With a few subtle modifications (off road wheels slightly beefed up suspension) you can drive around town with out attracting any suspicion.
Additionally the compactor compartment is 1/2 inch thick steel so it will stop shot gun, pistol and 5.56 rounds.

You Sir are a genius.

Quoted:
Ultimate SHTF stealth vehicle is....a garbage truck.
No one notices them, no one even wants to took in them.
Clean out the rear and turn it into a light armored mobile SHTF
Bunker
Something like this.
http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Product/20112/China20112282109124.JPG

Unless you ARE a garbage collector, I don't see driving one to a regular job very......uh.....pleasant.

you added that to your OP after I posted
and for the record, having a BOV loaded with BOV stuff isnt going to "perk" me in anyway beyond coolness
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

and for the record, having a BOV loaded with BOV stuff isnt going to "perk" me in anyway beyond coolness
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
With a few subtle modifications (off road wheels slightly beefed up suspension) you can drive around town with out attracting any suspicion.
Additionally the compactor compartment is 1/2 inch thick steel so it will stop shot gun, pistol and 5.56 rounds.

You Sir are a genius.

Quoted:
Bunker
Something like this.

Still not buying the stealth aspect.

They're loud, smelly and big.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Subaru. Capable vehicle and you won't be taken seriously.
View Quote

This times 87.

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You Sir are a genius.

Quoted:
Bunker
Something like this.

How much simple green and fabreeze do you think it would take to clean one of those up
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#6]
4wd 30+ mpg, hippy camo!

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 6:43:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know if they've changed since 2004, but I test drove some Subarus with the girl I was dating at the time and I was almost too big for the seats.  The sides of the seats "cradle" you, which is great for keeping your butt in the seat during high performance driving, but I was too wide and instead of cradling me, they jabbed me in the ribs

Just something to keep in mind for you bigger guys out there.  And, since I'm sure I'll get called a fat ass, I'm 6'2" 250lbs (I can see my dick and my toes when I look straight down, thank you very much).
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know what the best is, but I have an 02 Duramax 4wd 4d long bed and a 99 Forester. If the shit gets real deep, I will get the 86 Cherokee with a 7.5" lift up and running. The Forester is the least noticeable! I will use one or all of them if necessary.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't know if they've changed since 2004, but I test drove some Subarus with the girl I was dating at the time and I was almost too big for the seats.  The sides of the seats "cradle" you, which is great for keeping your butt in the seat during high performance driving, but I was too wide and instead of cradling me, they jabbed me in the ribs

Just something to keep in mind for you bigger guys out there.  And, since I'm sure I'll get called a fat ass, I'm 6'2" 250lbs (I can see my dick and my toes when I look straight down, thank you very much).
View Quote

I'm thinking you test drove a WRX.  The seats on the 2014 Outback are nice and comfy, and I'm 6'2 220.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#10]
SUV vs Truck I think is more a matter of how much passenger vs cargo space you need. You can add a cap to the back of a truck if you need secured storage, and no one looks twice at a truck with a cap.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Honda Ridgeline. Under-bed (hidden) trunk for anything you want to store securely.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Honda Ridgeline. Under-bed (hidden) trunk for anything you want to store securely.
View Quote

It's not hidden anymore now that you've told us about it
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Pretty much any 4dr 4wd truck with a service body. GenSet/welder, air compressor, gas axe, and crane.
Not to mention almost every hand tool imaginable.

Nobody looks twice at a service truck.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pretty much any 4dr 4wd truck with a service body. GenSet/welder, air compressor, gas axe, and crane.

http://www.worktruckwest.com/gallerybybody.php?body=1

View Quote

If you don't operate a service business, they do. I don't think that would go over well parked in my apartment's parking lot - or on the parking deck at work either. Not many developers rolling up in those.

Also, assuming SHTF has begun, I'd assume anyone rolling around in something like that has their shit together... and therefore probably has something worth taking.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:09:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking your best bet is a full-size diesel on a truck frame.

If you don't have kids, an extended cab would provide enough concealed storage to get you home and then some. If you do have kids, then you'll probably need a quad cab and maybe a sturdy, locking toolbox. A suburban would be even better.

I just can't see myself driving any full-size vehicle in SHTF, unless I was in dire straits and needing to move the whole family somewhere fast. I figure dirtbikes would be the primary form of transportation - far more fuel efficient, mobile, easier to maintain, and harder to catch if you need to GTFO.

Hell, even if I were in a position where I had to move people in a full-size vehicle, I'd want a couple outriders on bikes to scout and provide support if/when we broke down or were threatened.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Subaru!  It is the third most off-roaded brand after the Ram and Jeep brands.   See
Off Roaded

Slap on a few OBAMA 08 stickers and a rainbow decal and no one will give you a second look.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

What is that? Looks intriguing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Subaru Crosstrek
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://www.worktruckwest.com/gallerybybody.php?body=1

View Quote

Except thieves. They get broken into all the time by tweekers looking for tools to pawn around here.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm thinking your best bet is a full-size diesel on a truck frame.

If you don't have kids, an extended cab would provide enough concealed storage to get you home and then some. If you do have kids, then you'll probably need a quad cab and maybe a sturdy, locking toolbox. A suburban would be even better.

I just can't see myself driving any full-size vehicle in SHTF, unless I was in dire straits and needing to move the whole family somewhere fast. I figure dirtbikes would be the primary form of transportation - far more fuel efficient, mobile, easier to maintain, and harder to catch if you need to GTFO.

Hell, even if I were in a position where I had to move people in a full-size vehicle, I'd want a couple outriders on bikes to scout and provide support if/when we broke down or were threatened.
View Quote

Ever ride your dirt bike through a wire fence? I've accidentally driven my 4x4 truck through a 3 strand fence. I'm not sure how I would have fared on a quad or dirt bike.

I feel bikes of any flavor are a bad Idea because you are so vulnerable to many things from gravel/debris on a road to things being thrown at you, Not to mention a line strung across your path, to being run off the road. And besides you can't hide much from view on a bike, where you gonna hide an AR and not draw attention riding down the road?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Subaru!  It is the third most off-roaded brand after the Ram and Jeep brands.   See
Off Roaded

Slap on a few OBAMA 08 stickers and a rainbow decal and no one will give you a second look.
View Quote

Kind of bull shit, no toyota tacoma or 4 runner in that survey.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#22]
This is my current ride- a 2013 Focus ST.

It has plenty of HP and Torque, as well as decent MPG. It certainly won't get me anywhere off asphalt, but for my current needs and where I drive, it will work for most SHTF scenarios.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Off Roaded

Agreed. Pretty sure they are both in the top five with the wrangler being on top.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Well, here's my entry.

It has decent fuel economy, can outrun most vehicles on back roads, and doesn't do too poorly on gravel. Fits enough food, water, and gear to bail and go on foot if needed.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#25]
My current ride is a 2001 crew cab longbow f350 with a 7.3 power stroke in it. It could push or pull anything, it wouldn't be bad off road until you hit some mud then it would need a winch to pull it out heavy truck in the mud isn't a very good mix but a winch is something i plan on looking into in the future but until then i guess of the shtf happens back roads for me! plus i have my jeep that is lifted on 35s and both axles locked my dad also has a jeep similar to mine. we also have a 40' deck over goose neck to take most of our things on i believe we would head to the upper peninsula of michigan it has such a vast wild life that you would have to be brain dead to not be able to find food and the up is sparsely populated by people compared to other parts of the country.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top