Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2013 9:10:55 AM EDT
From a conversation with Mojo over the weekend about heirloom seeds and the ability to buy these things at Wal-mart, or any grocery store.

I'm no expert, but, here are some things you can buy on the cheap and also store for a year, or more.  The seeds can also be harvested and used to regrow the produce.

Feel free to add to the list, but, here are some things that you might be walking past and unknowingly leaving an heirloom plant/produce on the shelf.

Peanuts.  unsalted, raw.  About 2.50 for a package.  A single peanut can produce 25-50 more peanuts.

Dried beans, red, black, brown, speckled, navy, kidney et al.  All those packages of died beans are seeds.  Easy  to sow, and they are legumes.  They don't require great soil since they take their nitrogen from the air.  Same with peanuts.  A nice way to add fertilizer to the soil and fresh pods are nice in early spring.  You can either till them under, or let them dry on the vine to produce next year's seed crop.

Butternut squash.  Stores for a year, or more, if unscratched and kept reasonably protected.  Some of mine in my pantry are from my 2012 garden.  Easy for a single squash to provide enough seed for 50 more plants next year, each plant can produce 10 or more additional squash,

Acorn squash, also good for storage and seeds are all heirloom.  Same characteristics as butternut.  Hubbard is also something to look for as well.  Many of the small, decorative, gourds and squashes will store for the winter and provide seed for the spring.

Sweet potatoes.  The variety most often seen in the store is Beauregard.  Hardy for shipment, but also stores well.  They regrow from the potato in a windowsill (like you experimented with in grade school).  A single potato, stored all winter, will provide 10-15 starts in the spring.  Each of these can produce 5-10lbs of potatoes. The leavse are also edible.

Pumpkin. These are underestimated for durability.  I had pumpkins, grown from seed, last 14 months on my front porch.  Nothing done to protect them from the elements.  I kept others in my kitchen as well.   I don't like growing them.  They take up too much space in the garden for too little fruit.  And, they are kind of a pain in the ass to process in to a canned product.  Melons produce a denser amount of calories for the same garden space.  But, heirloom none the less.

Garlic.  Grab a 5lb bag.  Toss them in the soil.  Good time to plant if you are in the South.  You don't need to harvest them, they will continue to regrow every year if you take just a few simple steps to keep them alive.  

In the spice aisle there are a couple things as well that and handy and easy to store, easy to grow:

Dill seed.  Easy to get a ton of dill from one of those little spice jars.  It really is seed, and it will germinate and produce more seed.  Frost hardy, early source of Vitamin C.

Mustard seed.  Also, a seed.  Easy to grow, frost hardy and drought hardy, bugs don't seem to eat them and they grow so prolifically that you can easily have a year-round crop of greens, harvest the seed, use it in your chow-chow and other recipes.

In the chips section, popcorn.  These are the uncooked bags made for air popping, not the microwave bags.  This is hit or miss.  Some popcorn is hybrid, others are not.  If it is a hybrid it won't give you great ears, but, the hybrid will still produce a small ear that is easily pickled.  But, you have a pretty fair chance of getting a workable crop of popcorn as well.

In the lawn and garden section there is a bag of squirrel corn.  Whole, dried, dent.  I dunno if it is a hybrid, but I am going to buy a bag and see what grows from it.

Indian corn.  I haven't seen it for sale here this year, but, all the indian corns are heirloom.  A hand full of ears will produce bushels and the ears last for several years in the pantry.  Already dried and a simple thing to store, not worries about rot if it kept dry.

I am sure I am overlooking a couple things, but, feel free to add to it.  Maybe those who are sitting on the fence about putting away a few 'heirloom' seeds will pick up a couple of items that they are overlooking at their store right now.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#1]

We've had good luck growing regular old grocery store red potatoes from eyes emerging from slightly-old potatoes in the pantry. I just cut them up into quarters or eighths, with a good piece of growing eye in each chunk, and plant them.

I've also grown sunflowers accidentally from the big 25-lb bags of black oil-seed sunflowers sold for bird seed. We didn't grow these to maturity, so I can't guarantee they are not hybrids.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag for information.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Good to know, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Just FYI, virtually any seed found at wallmart may be open pollinated, but not heirloom.  Heirloom means cultivars essentially abandoned by modern agriculture.

Open Pollinated means the seed breeds true, Most of the offspring will resemble the original plant.  Plenty of modern food crops are open pollinated, and farmers need some economic incentive to plant hybrids, at least for non truck crops.

Hybrids aren't even economically an option for some crops.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Already beat me, but yeah....I doubt those at walmart are heirloom.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 4:45:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I grew both from the seeds I purchased.  I did not harvest the seed (dill and mustard) from the wal-mart purchases.  

Calling them heirloom is probably premature.  I should have clarified on those two.

I'll know more this spring if I see them re-sprout.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 4:56:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Not specifically Walmart, there is a YouTube video regarding heirloom tomatoes at Kroger:

Heirloom at Kroger

Heirloom and Organic are two marketing terms that are often misused. I prefer OP (open pollinated).
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 6:12:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I grew both from the seeds I purchased.  I did not harvest the seed (dill and mustard) from the wal-mart purchases.  

Calling them heirloom is probably premature.  I should have clarified on those two.

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG, it's really all semantics.

All heirlooms are open-pollinated, meaning you can save your seeds and the resulting offspring will grow true to type. No heirlooms are hybrids.

Not all open-pollinated varieties are heirlooms. No OP varieties are hybrids. All OPs will grow true to type if you save your seeds.

'Heirloom' typically denotes some historical record of use. Most heirlooms have some sort of narrative behind them: "so-and-so developed this variety from the Lower Elbownian jumping radish in 1857 in Nantucket and the variety became popular among upside-down centrifugal fungal bunnies for its exfoliating properties."

There are even arguments out there regarding how old a variety has to be in order to qualify as an heirloom.

FWIW, there are plenty of less-desirable heirlooms out there due to quality, productivity, time to harvest, storage quality, etc. As a prepper, all I really care about is whether things are open-pollinated or not.

Link Posted: 12/19/2013 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting post...  But I wouldn't count on all big box store items being open pollinated...  Sure they might grow once, but save the seeds from your crop and try them again just to make sure...
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Interesting post...  But I wouldn't count on all big box store items being open pollinated...  Sure they might grow once, but save the seeds from your crop and try them again just to make sure...
View Quote

Watermelon and cantaloupes have sometimes given me trouble with re-growing from store-bought fruit.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Additionally....regarding Walmart seeds.

When you go into the garden section (where they sell the Christmas stuff) to buy the white LED's for $3.00 AFTER Christmas is over.....

Look around for the SEED display from the summer.  You can get packs that were $1.29 for $0.25 to $0.50

Last year, I picked up 80-ft. of LED's and 50 packs of seeds for $30.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When you go into the garden section (where they sell the Christmas stuff) to buy the white LED's for $3.00 AFTER Christmas is over.....

Look around for the SEED display from the summer.  You can get packs that were $1.29 for $0.25 to $0.50
View Quote

It's hit or miss on old seed. I bought what I thought was quality tomato seed from a retail garden center. It wasn't expired, but it was the previous year's seed. I seeded them out into a 72 cell tray and placed them in one of our commercial greenhouses. I only had 3 plants pop and grow.

A few weeks later I picked up another package from a retailer, reseeded and germ was nearly 100%.

But it goes both ways, we seeded 500 big muhly seeds that were almost 1 year old, 4 came up. I also had some open packages of marigolds that were 4+ years old, stored in the refrigerator in Tupperware that germinated almost 100%. Storage conditions as well as the particular habits of that particular species/variety play a role.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 4:39:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's hit or miss on old seed. I bought what I thought was quality tomato seed from a retail garden center. It wasn't expired, but it was the previous year's seed. I seeded them out into a 72 cell tray and placed them in one of our commercial greenhouses. I only had 3 plants pop and grow.

A few weeks later I picked up another package from a retailer, reseeded and germ was nearly 100%.

But it goes both ways, we seeded 500 big muhly seeds that were almost 1 year old, 4 came up. I also had some open packages of marigolds that were 4+ years old, stored in the refrigerator in Tupperware that germinated almost 100%. Storage conditions as well as the particular habits of that particular species/variety play a role.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plant type figures into storage life, too::

What is the shelf life of seeds?

Some seeds are viable only in the year of purchase, and others can be kept for many years.

If seeds have not been pretreated or pelletized, and if they have been stored properly, here is the shelf life you can expect:

1 year: onions, parsnips, parsley, salsify, scorzonera, and spinach
2 years: corn, peas, beans, chives, okra, dandelion
3 years: carrots, leeks, asparagus, turnips, rutabagas
4 years: peppers, chard, pumpkins, squash, watermelons, basil, artichokes and cardoons
5 years: most brassicas, beets, tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers, muskmelons, celery, celeriac, lettuce, endive, chicory.

Info gotten from Johnny's Selected Seeds' FAQ, which has a lot of good info on seed saving. The FAQ is located here.

Link Posted: 12/20/2013 5:11:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does that go for things like beans as well?
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 6:13:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Dried beans are going to produce the same crop.  I tired it with some older red beans that had sat so long in my pantry that moths/weevils hit them.  They still germinated, produced a crop and the seeds were replanted and produced a second crop.

Grab some bags off the shelf and you are good to go.  

Grab several varieties.  I would not recommend the '7 bean soup' mix.  I kind of like all my beans to be on the same cycle of producing.  Peas here.  Speckled beans here.  Red beans over there, etc.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Info gotten from Johnny's Selected Seeds' FAQ, which has a lot of good info on seed saving. The FAQ is located here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What is the shelf life of seeds?

Some seeds are viable only in the year of purchase, and others can be kept for many years.

If seeds have not been pretreated or pelletized, and if they have been stored properly, here is the shelf life you can expect:

1 year: onions, parsnips, parsley, salsify, scorzonera, and spinach
2 years: corn, peas, beans, chives, okra, dandelion
3 years: carrots, leeks, asparagus, turnips, rutabagas
4 years: peppers, chard, pumpkins, squash, watermelons, basil, artichokes and cardoons
5 years: most brassicas, beets, tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers, muskmelons, celery, celeriac, lettuce, endive, chicory.

That's probably good info in general, but just keep in mind like my one year old tomato seeds, it's not a guarantee.

I think I spent about $17,000 on commercial seed last year *shudder* from commercial suppliers with their own labs and testing facilities. Every time I get a bill, I realize I just dropped a shitload of money on nothing but hopes and dreams with no guarantee of anything.

Each commercial package is marked with lot numbers and germination rates. We usually do a when we look at some of these numbers. We had one particular species labeled with an 86% germination rate, but in actual commercial use, it's between 30 and 40%. We'll run our own tests under different variables to try and improve these numbers, but I'm starting to think it has more to do with the age difference from when they run their lab test to when we start commercial production. That time lapse probably runs anywhere from 3 to 12 months and I think it makes a difference.

Some stuff it doesn't matter at all. You could pack it in your ass crack for 18 months and it would germinate, other seeds not so much.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Have you ever tried horseradish or ginger by planting the root? I plan to do this, but wondered if anyone had experience with it. I'll probably put them in planters to limit spread and enable moving as needed.

sgt_seti
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

I've got tomatoes originally purchased as plants at Lowes that will be on their 4th season when they grow this year. That and cilantro, there was so much growing from the year before last that i had to take much of it out and give it away. They both grow literally like weeds.

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes to horseradish- never plant it in the garden, it spreads fast.  I'd plant it on the edge of a field or where grass meet woods.  Hell, go plant it in a vaceent lot, how much do you want anyway.

You can make your own mayo with eggs, oil and lemon juce (+paprika), add horseradish to make a great sauce.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 3:41:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I wandered through the seed section at Wal-Mart.

Prices seems to have gone from .99 to 2.99 for seeds this year.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:15:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Celery seed?  Whole grain rice?
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:20:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

TRG
View Quote

That's weird. I'm paying $1.29-1.59/packet here at Lowes.

It's worth pointing out that a $1 packet of seeds can be a worse deal than a $3 packet depending on the mass of seed included. For example, 50mg of basil seed vs. 300mg. Three-fold difference in price, six-fold difference in quantity of seed.

Mass should be printed on the packet, though it may be tiny print.

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 5:00:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's worth pointing out that a $1 packet of seeds can be a worse deal than a $3 packet depending on the mass of seed included. For example, 50mg of basil seed vs. 300mg. Three-fold difference in price, six-fold difference in quantity of seed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

I gotta nose around and see if there are cheaper seeds in that garden section.

Even 1.29 and 1.59 represents 30-60% increases in seed costs.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 5:01:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Celery seed?  Whole grain rice?
View Quote

I haven't tried either one.  I suspect 'yes' on celery, and 'no' on rice.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 5:19:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
From a conversation with Mojo

In the lawn and garden section there is a bag of squirrel corn.  Whole, dried, dent.  I dunno if it is a hybrid, but I am going to buy a bag and see what grows from it.

TRG
View Quote

Probably not heirloom, but we had rats that we fed "small animal food" or something like that. When I dumped their cages, corn and peanuts started to grow. Not sure what else was in there, or how well they would grow.

I have been saving apple seeds, I realize there is not much chance of getting a good tree, but I figure I will plant them in random places where there will be no loss if nothing comes of it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 5:45:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Good stuff. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 5:54:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I gotta nose around and see if there are cheaper seeds in that garden section.

Even 1.29 and 1.59 represents 30-60% increases in seed costs.

TRG
View Quote

Have you got a local Tractor Supply or similar? TSC in past years has had $0.25/packet generic garden seeds. I don't remember how the seed content compared to more expensive packets.

The best deals are probably going to be online sources that will sell you seed in larger quantities for a big garden. I've used Johnny's Selected Seeds and Seed Saver's Exchange. I've been happy with both.

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#30]

"green beans, carrots, corn, cucumbers, cantaloupes, onions, peas, bell peppers, romaine lettuce, spinach, squash, tomatoes and zucchini."

Yeah...

Supposed to produce 2300lbs of vegetables?  

I'd like to see them back that up.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#31]
tag
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#32]
One more, only got because it was a manager special thing, but in the vitamin/ health area they sell chia seeds, don't know if it would be better to just eat the seeds, but you can sprout them also.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

That surprises me.  We almost always plant 1-yr old seed; with us it's kind of a rotation thing so that we always have at least one season's worth of seed on hand.  Seeds we buy this spring won't be planted until next year, and this spring's planting will be from seed bought last year.  We've never had any germination problems at all with any of it, and we have close to an acre planted in mostly vegetables (archived garden thread if you're interested)... possibly more those years that we plant a wheat patch or want a particularly big corn harvest (home-canned supply running low, for instance).

No special steps taken for storage.  For the most part they're in the original envelopes, stored in a wood box (not airtight) in a back room of the house.  One thing we DO do is to buy quality seed... almost everything comes from Baker Creek.  I've been buying from them for probably 10 years, and have yet to find a single thing to complain about.

Since I brought up garden threads, TRG's (OP) garden thread is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Since I brought up garden threads, TRG's (OP) garden thread is pretty awesome.
View Quote

I need to update.  Just planted peas this season that I grew, harvested, dried and stored last spring.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#35]
The little packs they sell wouldn't do me much good, I plant a big garden. When I buy seeds I buy pounds not ounces..
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The little packs they sell wouldn't do me much good, I plant a big garden. When I buy seeds I buy pounds not ounces..
View Quote
cool story, we appreciate you sharing

Link Posted: 2/21/2014 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a story but I am glad you liked it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:36:45 AM EDT
[#38]
... where's the best place to buy heirloom seeds just to experiment with a small backyard garden?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:20:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
... where's the best place to buy heirloom seeds just to experiment with a small backyard garden?
View Quote

I think Corporal_Chaos might be your best source.  I think y'all are both in the same climate zone.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pics???
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:11:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Best thing to do is get some known seeds and go to it. There is no substitute for experience combined with sound advice from experienced people.

I prefer dealing with Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. There are other exchanges around but I have a proven track record with these folks.

Some personal favorites either because of production, taste or more usually both:

Purple pod green beans. Can't say enough good about these. Everyone I've turned on to them has been very pleased.

Brandywine tomatoes. Again, production and flavor are some of the best. Mule Team and Mortgage Lifter are also very good.

Corno di Toro sweet pepper. Not as full as a bell, but better flavor, more reliable production, more peppers get ripe (red) easier than bells and the flesh is thick and sweet.

Yellow crookneck and black beauty zukes are always present. Plant in stages if you have vine borers like I do.

Evergreen sweet corn. As good or better than silverqueen and less picky/delicate.

" />

" />
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top