Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/26/2013 7:07:36 AM EDT
Heard about em for years....

I needed a few things from campmor and they had a free shipping with min. $50 order. So, I threw in a couple of $15 mora knives to get to +$50.
All I can say is WOW. Very nice knife for the money. SUPER sharp right outta the box and a nice hefty blade. I was expecting a thin flexible one,
sorta like a filet knife but no, its at least 3/16". One will go in my GHB to go along with my pepper sprays (Can't CCW where I'm at ).

That is all...
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 7:10:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Mora knives are great!! Small, light, pretty durable and cheap!

I will say this though.  I used mine to butcher a rabbit and after I went through the spine, it had a small deformity (not sure if it's a chip or what) in the belly/sweep.  Could be from connecting slightly with the concrete underneath as well though.

$15?  I think I paid $8 for mine and then $9 for another a few months after.  This was on ebay.  No clue what they are up to now...I guess $15.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mora knives are great!! Small, light, pretty durable and cheap!

I will say this though.  I used mine to butcher a rabbit and after I went through the spine, it had a small deformity (not sure if it's a chip or what) in the belly/sweep.  Could be from connecting slightly with the concrete underneath as well though.

$15?  I think I paid $8 for mine and then $9 for another a few months after.  This was on ebay.  No clue what they are up to now...I guess $15.

-Emt1581
View Quote

$14 all over amazon
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want more, I would recommend Ragweed Forge: http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

He has just about anything you could imagine with good prices and reasonable shipping.  Each of my kids has a mora purchased from him.

You can also learn a fair amount about Moras from his site as well.

Disclaimer:  No connection or financial interest
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 7:49:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Used one for field dressing a deer last week.  That sharp point kept finding my fingers.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you want more, I would recommend Ragweed Forge: http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

He has just about anything you could imagine with good prices and reasonable shipping.  Each of my kids has a mora purchased from him.

View Quote

That's where I buy mine.

OP: A 3/16" thick blade? I've never seen any mora with a blade that thick. A thin blade is one of the desireable traits. Most are .078- .098". A .125" thick blade is considered heavy duty in puukko speak.

What model did you get?
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#6]
After hearing about them for years I picked one up over the summer.  Then I took it out into prince William sound for three days.  I used it for a bait knife and cleaned it in a five gallon bucket of fresh salt water. On day two we used it to process rockfish then it was back to bait duty.  After the trip it still had an edge and only had some light surface rust near the makers mark.  Everyone was impressed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Mora knives are valuable  WAAAAY beyond their price.

they are the best value in knives today
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's where I buy mine.

OP: A 3/16" thick blade? I've never seen any mora with a blade that thick. A thin blade is one of the desireable traits. Most are .078- .098". A .125" thick blade is considered heavy duty in puukko speak.

What model did you get?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's where I buy mine.

What model did you get?

I got a companion model - I didn't put the calipers to it. I guess its a lot thicker than I expected.
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Used one for field dressing a deer last week.  That sharp point kept finding my fingers.  
View Quote

Then you were doing something wrong.

I skinned every critter I trapped last year and most of the ones I shot with a mora, I love those blades.
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I got a companion model - I didn't put the calipers to it. I guess its a lot thicker than I expected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's where I buy mine.

What model did you get?

Ragnar's measurments (ragweedforge) have been exactly right on the stuff I've bought.

The companion is listed at .098"
The companion heavy duty is listed at .126"

I'm going to have to order some of them. I like the looks. I've got a bunch of the others. The 510 has been my favorite, so far, of the lower end knives.
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I skinned every critter I trapped last year and most of the ones I shot with a mora, I love those blades.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shot critters with a mora knife?
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I did an elk this year and by the end of skinning it really needed sharpening.

I did two elk last year with one and didn't have any problems but I'm not sure if I have sharpened it since then or even if it was the same knife.

They do sharpen pretty easily.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Just bought my first 4 Moras the other day. I'm in love with them now. Can't wait to skin my next deer with one and see how it does!
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one and I love it too.

They are usually made of high carbon steel, which holds an edge real nice, however it's not as corrosion resistant as a lot of the newer boutique steels of today.

I usually don't find this a problem, just keep it clean and well oiled like you would any gun and you're GTG.

Link Posted: 11/26/2013 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I actually began putting a secondary bevel on them with a cheap pocket sharpener and hone.

You need to hone them a little more often, but they provide a sharper and more useable edge for me..

Plus you aren't removing as much material that way.
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have one and I love it too.

They are usually made of high carbon steel, which holds an edge real nice, however it's not as corrosion resistant as a lot of the newer boutique steels of today.

I usually don't find this a problem, just keep it clean and well oiled like you would any gun and you're GTG.

View Quote

Skin out a greasy coon or two and you won't have any rusting problems for awhile.
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got my first mora not to long ago great knives, and even better customer service. Mine had a small chip in the edge when new I contacted Mora and they send me a free knife in about five days. Now I have two :)
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Mora quality for Mora money is an outstanding combination. They are worth much more than they ask.
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mora quality for Mora money is an outstanding combination. They are worth much more than they ask.
View Quote

Shut up, if they ever find that out we are boned.

I bought 20 of them at $8 each a few years ago and gave them out as gifts, half the people cut themselves with it the first day then proclaimed "Damn, that thing is sharp"
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been using a Mora as my main kitchen knife for 3 years or so, absolutely love it. It's the old school version with a red wood handle. Didn't think I could like a knife more until I bought the newer version with the green rubber handle. That thing is even better, fits my hand like a glove.

I've bought a few tactical and hunting knives over the years (Gerber, Buck, etc.), but never really liked them. The cheapo Mora is by far my favorite.

Only problem is that I can get the damn thing so sharp that I practically hit bone when I accidentally cut myself. I've got a bandaid on my finger right now to prove it

Link Posted: 11/26/2013 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've been using a Mora as my main kitchen knife for 3 years or so, absolutely love it. It's the old school version with a red wood handle. Didn't think I could like a knife more until I bought the newer version with the green rubber handle. That thing is even better, fits my hand like a glove.

I've bought a few tactical and hunting knives over the years (Gerber, Buck, etc.), but never really liked them. The cheapo Mora is by far my favorite.

Only problem is that I can get the damn thing so sharp that I practically hit bone when I accidentally cut myself. I've got a bandaid on my finger right now to prove it

View Quote

Yep. I slipped and hit my off hand index knuckle. The immediate dread swept over me because I knew exactly how sharp the knife was and how hard I hit.

Luckily, the angle had it hit bone before it cut all the way through the tendon. Six weeks in a splint and about a year of stretching it back out and it's good as new.

The moras are what my cub scouts earned their whittling chip badge with, carving figure four deadfall triggers. Used zero bandaids.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 2:39:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Can anyone tell me if these are full tang knives?  I don't see it anywhere in the descriptions and I can't remember.  I had one back when I was a kid that was my hunting/fishing knife.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me if these are full tang knives?  I don't see it anywhere in the descriptions and I can't remember.  I had one back when I was a kid that was my hunting/fishing knife.
View Quote

Nope. Mora Xray
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course I did something wrong.  I poked holes in my fingers.  The point (pardon the pun) was that the knife has a sharp one.  

My hands took a beating this year.  This sort of made up for it.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nope. Mora Xray
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Mora Xray

Some are, some aren't. The molded handled ones, no. The wood ones (numbered ones. #1,#2, etc) have a "rat tail" tang that is bradded over at the butt. I've seen destruction tests of the 510 and clipper. Those molded handles/ partial tangs will stand up to ANY reasonable use, including some batonning. No, you can't split a 4 inch log.

If you really want a full tang puukko style knife, look at the Enzo trapper or the Condor sapien.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I got my Morakniv companion today and the OP is right

It was sharp out of the box lots of knife for the money

Question:  I got the carbon steel version

What is the best for holding an edge,  the Stainless, Carbon or the laminated  blades??

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Of course I did something wrong.  I poked holes in my fingers.  The point (pardon the pun) was that the knife has a sharp one.  

http://pilot1.smugmug.com/Other/2013-deer/i-2tKxWg9/0/M/IMG_20131114_115828_574-M.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://pilot1.smugmug.com/Other/2013-deer/i-2tKxWg9/0/M/IMG_20131114_115828_574-M.jpg

Nice Buck!
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Keep and eye out for these. Hultafors HVK I see them now on amazon for 10 bucks, but I've found them for as little as 5, and stocked up on them. Great knife, made in Sweeden, good steel and tough as nails. I also got the heavy duty version (HD) and that thing takes one heck of a beating without breaking.

FerFAL
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Keep and eye out for these. Hultafors HVK I see them now on amazon for 10 bucks, but I've found them for as little as 5, and stocked up on them. Great knife, made in Sweeden, good steel and tough as nails. I also got the heavy duty version (HD) and that thing takes one heck of a beating without breaking.

FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Is that a private label Mora, or a Chi-Com copy?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

I second that question?

Hard to beat the similar Mora 511 for $9.

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craftline-Allround-Utility-3-8-Inch/dp/B004GAVOUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387062904&sr=8-1&keywords=Mora+511

ETA/ My favorite is the Classic #2 or Companion.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I second that question?

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craftline-Allround-Utility-3-8-Inch/dp/B004GAVOUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387062904&sr=8-1&keywords=Mora+511

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

I second that question?

Its a Sweden company, here a bit more about it link they make tools, and some nice utility knives as well using Japanese steel. I've been beating one of their heavy duty models, prying, hammering on it as a chisel, the thing just doesnt break. I ended up buygin several more knives.
I like Mora's too, the Heavy duty Hultafors just feels more sturdy / bomb proof.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm about to grab two Moras. I got my current bag and I'm about to build a lighter weight possibly a summer bag.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:42:51 AM EDT
[#34]
they just got moar awesomer!

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:57:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Carbon steel knives require a "vinegar patina" or never failing to apply fresh oil.  The stainless will go through the dishwasher again and again with no care required

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/928315-Get-A-Deep-Even-Black-Patina-On-1095-Carbon-Steel

Best deal is the cheep carbon steel blade.  Fill the sheath with vinegar (with duck tape to close the hole) and soak for a few hours.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Carbon steel knives require a "vinegar patina" or never failing to apply fresh oil.  The stainless will go through the dishwasher again and again with no care required

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/928315-Get-A-Deep-Even-Black-Patina-On-1095-Carbon-Steel

Best deal is the cheep carbon steel blade.  Fill the sheath with vinegar (with duck tape to close the hole) and soak for a few hours.

View Quote

Interesting idea, but wouldn't vinegar corrode a carbon blade due to the acidity? I've never done anything special to my old carbon steel Mora. I've left it dirty in the sink for longer than I care to admit, a bit of light surface rust at first but easily scrubbed off with a green pad. Never been an issue. This is my main kitchen knife, it sees a lot of use.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Interesting idea, but wouldn't vinegar corrode a carbon blade due to the acidity? I've never done anything special to my old carbon steel Mora. I've left it dirty in the sink for longer than I care to admit, a bit of light surface rust at first but easily scrubbed off with a green pad. Never been an issue. This is my main kitchen knife, it sees a lot of use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is called a force patina...  And it is not required, nor is oiling it every use (unless every use is in salt water? )...  A little bit of common sense and care goes along way.  I have been using carbon steel mora's for a few years now with no issues...  I prefer carbon steel, IMO they sharpen better and hold a better edge, plus for "survival" purposes they tend to strike a ferro rod better and can throw sparks from flint or steel.
As always YMMV...  
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Spyderco sharps, yes or no on Mora knives? If so, 40 or 30 total angle?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It is called a force patina...  And it is not required, nor is oiling it every use (unless every use is in salt water? )...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is called a force patina...  And it is not required, nor is oiling it every use (unless every use is in salt water? )...  

Never heard of that, thanks. I kept my Mora oiled with vegetable oil when I first got it, but haven't done that in years. I use it like any other kitchen knife. The surface rust I get on it when I throw it in the sink and forget about it for a couple days doesn't seem to affect the sharpness to any noticeable degree, I still regularly cut myself with it

It does gets dull when cutting up food on porcelain plates (of course), but a few swipes on a cheapie sharpener is all that's required. Of all the knives I've had, this is by far the easiest one to sharpen. I love my Mora.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

A stone works easy on a mora... Scandi Grind- just lay the edge on the stone...  Plenty of youtube videos on this.

I wouldent recomend changing the angle of the grind, and if I was to do anything to it, the only thing I would do is add a very very small micro bevel using a leather strop.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

IIRC they are 22º. But as posted above, the entire bevel is the same as the cutting angle, it's called a scandinavian grind. In a pinch they can be sharpened on just about anything, find a flat rock and your GTG.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I bought quite a few of them for handouts to family and friends for when TEOTWAWKI happens.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#43]
one of the sharpest 'out of the box' knives.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Received a Mora 511 in the mail today. Looks just like this:

Unbelievably nice knife for the money.

The blade is exceptionally well made - wickedly sharp from tip to heel, perfectly symmetrical on both sides, and nicely polished.

The plastic sheath isn't very sexy, but functional.

At around 8 bucks (delivered), it's hard to believe Mora makes any money at all on them - and yet you can buy 'em all day long on ebay for that price.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#45]
I buy 10 or so at a time and give them out as gifts .

I have the light my fire ones on my all of my kayaks since the blades are the prefect size for fishing duties and with the fire steel it makes a nice survival tool .
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 8:51:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6273/svk6.jpg

The blade is exceptionally well made - wickedly sharp from tip to heel, perfectly symmetrical on both sides, and nicely polished.

At around 8 bucks (delivered), it's hard to believe Mora makes any money at all on them - and yet you can buy 'em all day long on ebay for that price.
View Quote

I keep a 511 in my GHB as a spare/ backup.

Can't beat the price!
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Can't beat the price!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6273/svk6.jpg

Can't beat the price!

That's my favorite one, too.  The finger guard keeps me from doing stupid things to my fingers.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#48]
If you see the Bahco brand knife on Amazon, get it. It's made by Mora for Snap On .
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Have had a Mora for about a month now. Gave it to the Mrs for kitchen duty. Warned her it WILL rust.

She decided to leave it soak for 2 days in soap water .

I now have a rusty mora knife. Guess I will see how well the rust polishes off....
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 4:32:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Nice knives, cleaned a deer on Christmas Eve and the night after Christmas with one.

Need to buy about a dozen more at that price.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top