Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2013 10:04:58 AM EDT
GridEx II.
Power Grid Down Drill To Be Conducted By US Government.
An electrical grid joint drill simulation is being planned in the United States, Canada and Mexico. Thousands of utility workers, FBI agents, anti-terrorism experts, governmental agencies, and more than 150 private businesses are involved in the November power grid drill.
The downed power grid simulation will reportedly focus on both physical and cyber attacks. The antiquated electrical system in the United States has been one of the most neglected pieces of integral infrastructure.
The disaster drill is being described as a crisis practice unlike anything the real power grid has ever experienced. The GridEX II drill Nov. 13-14 will focus primarily on how governments will react if the electrical grid fails and, for instance, the food supply chain collapses.
American utility companies are responsible for running approximately 5,800 power plants and about 450,000 high-voltage transmission lines, controlled by various devices which have been put into place over the past decades. Some of the utility companies which oversee the power grid reportedly use “antique computer protocols” which are “probably” safe from cyber hackers,” The New York Times reported. .
link:
GridExII
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a waste of money
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/17/us/as-worries-over-the-power-grid-rise-a-drill-will-simulate-a-knockout-blow.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Looks like its still in the planning phases?  Not a whole lot of info about it other then it sounds like some want to make this drill a big deal, while others don't want to waste their time...  That's my opinion after searching the net and finding very limited (though well put together) information.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the government SHOULD plan for catastrophe.

That being said, if there was a terrorist attack on our grid, it will go down, and all the planning in the world is powerless.

Spend the money making a decent grid.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if this exercise / drill will be run concurrently with a real life downing of the grid ?
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if this exercise / drill will be run concurrently with a real life downing of the grid ?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:44:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm having trouble envisioning just exactly how a grid-down simulation would play out. Too many variables to simulate accurately; seems like a waste of time and money.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 2:32:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldnt be surprised if there were a "real" terror attack on the grid at the same time as the drill!  Seems that the .gov is always on a training exercise the same day that a real event happens.  9-11, Boston, Newtown....
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:40:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Just thinking: don't you get the same training from storms/hurricanes/tornadoes and such??
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Just like everything else theyll just wait until its too late to update the grid and infr.

We will continue researching lesbian obesity, gay awareness in africa, and other stupid shit while we crumble.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just like everything else theyll just wait until its too late to update the grid and infr.
View Quote

This is something that always baffles me.  A LOT of things are seriously out dated and downright dangerous and yet no major catastrophes seem to happen.  Look at bridges, skyscrapers, roads, etc...especially in the major cities.  How are these things not killing massive amounts of people on a daily basis??

-Emt1581
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top