Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/27/2013 5:39:51 PM EDT
http://wisefoodstorage.com/request-a-sample/

I'm thinking I've seen this before but just in case...here ya go!

I've never tried this brand and this is a hell of an offer for the amount of food they are sending for FREE!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I gave it a shot, why not?
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I've ate Wise for a little while now for backpacking food, and I have to say it is on par with MH.  They have a broader selection, it's just something different from the normal MH meals.  I have to say though i don't eat the stuff at home, and trust me you appreciate these meals after you have humped a pack 10mi and your in the middle of nowhere, compared to lounging on the couch.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've ate Wise for a little while now for backpacking food, and I have to say it is on par with MH.  
View Quote

Yup...I'll be using my 4 meals for backpacking/camping as well.  This is great because it kills two birds with one stone.  It lets me test out the brand, because I want to buy a few of these buckets (maybe a few months worth for my family) anyway, plus it'll save me the expense of buying 4 MH meals at Wall-World for around $30!!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks op.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#5]
signed up for this last time around. No samples but plenty of spam email.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you follow-up when the contacted you?  Did you follow-up after you didn't receive anything?  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the Pasta Alfredo before.  You actually get one pouch that is supposed to be for 4 servings.  Me and the wife weren't "crazy" about it, but it tasted okay.  We could have eaten normally without any issue.  I didn't stock it after that, but I still might snag some later.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 12:25:13 AM EDT
[#9]
We did this last time around. The food sucks imho, but like has been said before it would be awesome if you were starving.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I have never tried them because they have no meat in their meals. imagine a hunter out hunting for meat with vegetarian meal in his pack. I'm meat eater thus the lack of enthusiasm for their dishes but I will try them for free.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 1:43:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have never tried them because they have no meat in their meals. imagine a hunter out hunting for meat with vegetarian meal in his pack. I'm meat eater thus the lack of enthusiasm for their dishes but I will try them for free.
View Quote

Nothing about that statement makes any sense to me.  

If you're out in the woods and looking for something that isn't tree bark or elephant piss why do you care if it's vegetarian?
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 3:39:51 AM EDT
[#12]
First, you are not getting a sample of 4 meals.
The free sample will be a bag with 4 SERVINGS.
A serving is NOT a meal. <--- This is an important concept in food storage.

The Pasta Alfredo shown on your link is a bag with 4 servings.
Each serving of the Pasta Alfredo is 280 calories X 4 = 1,120 calories.
Which is about 1/2 the amount you need for a day. Hiking and camping, it's probably more like 1/3.

Personally I am not a big Freeze Dried food guy, but if you go that route, you really have to research what you are buying.

For example:
Click on their "Emergency Food Kits" button.
What comes up is the "Grab & Go Food Kits" - to me this sounds a lot like "Bug Out".

Lets take a look:
The first "kit": 56 entrée and breakfast package - $199.99
How long will this 56 serving kit last? According to them, 1 adult for 4 weeks, 4 adults for 1 week.
Lets do the math on the calories.
the entire kit contains 15,260 calories / 2000 = 7.63 - so about 7-2/3 days at 2,000 calories a day.

If you plan surviving on this for 4 weeks, you are gonna have to come up with a lot more food.
and if there are 4 adults and one bucket, I think you would be lucky if the fights start on the 3rd day.

The problem I have with them is their marketing, as people tend not to read very carefully.
Grab & Go implies to me that it is all I need, but that is simply not the case.

The smaller print indicates things are based on 2 servings per day,
and at less than 300cal per serving,
you ain't surviving very long on less than 600cal/day.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 4:01:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
First, you are not getting a sample of 4 meals.
The free sample will be a bag with 4 SERVINGS.
A serving is NOT a meal. <--- This is an important concept in food storage.

The Pasta Alfredo shown on your link is a bag with 4 servings.
Each serving of the Pasta Alfredo is 280 calories X 4 = 1,120 calories.
Which is about 1/2 the amount you need for a day. Hiking and camping, it's probably more like 1/3.

Personally I am not a big Freeze Dried food guy, but if you go that route, you really have to research what you are buying.

For example:
Click on their "Emergency Food Kits" button.
What comes up is the "Grab & Go Food Kits" - to me this sounds a lot like "Bug Out".

Lets take a look:
The first "kit": 56 entrée and breakfast package - $199.99
How long will this 56 serving kit last? According to them, 1 adult for 4 weeks, 4 adults for 1 week.
Lets do the math on the calories.
the entire kit contains 15,260 calories / 2000 = 7.63 - so about 7-2/3 days at 2,000 calories a day.

If you plan surviving on this for 4 weeks, you are gonna have to come up with a lot more food.
and if there are 4 adults and one bucket, I think you would be lucky if the fights start on the 3rd day.

The problem I have with them is their marketing, as people tend not to read very carefully.
Grab & Go implies to me that it is all I need, but that is simply not the case.

View Quote

Ha!  Lesson definitely learned there.  

I mean several others mentioned the 4 servings NOT 4 meals "sample".  

However, I always look at calories on any long term food.  I wouldn't have been able to do that one a bucket that's mail ordered.  

I'll still give the pouch a try just to see what taste is like.

What other brands are better to look at for more value/calories per serving?  

Like you said, their marketing seems to be the issue.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 4:29:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
<snip>

However, I always look at calories on any long term food.  I wouldn't have been able to do that one a bucket that's mail ordered.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

Why are you unable to look at the calories/nutrition information before purchasing?

The calories per serving is about the same whether it's Mountain House or anybody else.

Freeze dried is a very expensive way to store food.

Mountain House seems to have better reviews in regards to taste.

Link Posted: 8/28/2013 4:32:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why are you unable to look at the calories/nutrition information before purchasing?

The calories per serving is about the same whether it's Mountain House or anybody else.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Thanks

-Emt1581

Oh ok, I didn't know they were that similar.  

And I meant I couldn't rifle through the buckets to see what each packet contained.  

I knew FD was super expensive compared to canned, smoked, dehydrated, etc...foods.... but for free I'll try it.  Plus for portability's sake, having a few buckets would be nice.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 4:41:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't forget to post a review.

ETA: of both the food and the sales follow-ups.

Link Posted: 8/28/2013 4:49:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Will do on the food.

What do you mean by  sales follow-ups?

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 4:50:11 AM EDT
[#18]
What the hell, never had their products.

Good way to sample, and not be out anything, if you're not happy.

Thanks OP
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 5:03:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Will do on the food.

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do on the food.

-Emt1581

Really?

You fill out that request,
To receive your FREE sample. Please complete the simple form below and one of our representatives will contact you in the next 24-48 hours to process your request. Wise Company reserves the right to deny sample requests, as determined in its sole and absolute discretion.

They don't just send you a free sample, one if their representatives will contact you to process your request,
they have your name, address, phone number, e-mail and you expect to never hear from them again after you get your "free sample"?

Not in the America I grew up in.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Really?

They don't just send you a free sample, one if their representatives will contact you to process your request,
they have your name, address, phone number, e-mail and you expect to never hear from them again after you get your "free sample"?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do on the food.

-Emt1581

Really?

To receive your FREE sample. Please complete the simple form below and one of our representatives will contact you in the next 24-48 hours to process your request. Wise Company reserves the right to deny sample requests, as determined in its sole and absolute discretion.

...I meant I was confused by whether you meant you wanted a review of whichever brand I go with or the correspondence with Wise.  We both should have been more clear.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Signed up for it(I figured at worst I'd have a free meal for hiking and I'd have to deal with a sales pitch). I received a call within 2 minutes. The verified my info and told me he would follow up in  few weeks.  I'm sure the sales pitch will happen then.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Signed up for it(I figured at worst I'd have a free meal for hiking and I'd have to deal with a sales pitch). I received a call within 2 minutes. The verified my info and told me he would follow up in  few weeks.  I'm sure the sales pitch will happen then.
View Quote

You got called in a few minutes???  Anyone else here have that happen?  I didn't.  

Thanks for sharing!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know where the no meat in Wise foods rumor got started, but it's bullshit.  It seems to come up in every thread that involves Wise.  Apparently no one has ever looked at a bag of it in person, as it is stated in a big ass circle on the front of the meals, "MADE WITH REAL MEAT"  I bet you check the ingredients too, it'll say it

Here's some pics right off of a bag of their Chicken Alfredo:

Sure as shit says real meat, and has freeze dried chicken in the ingredients.  Amazing what reading can do
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You got called in a few minutes???  Anyone else here have that happen?  I didn't.  

Thanks for sharing!

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for sharing!

-Emt1581

I got a call literally 10 seconds after hitting "submit". I hit submit and my phone rang, just like that. Spooky fast.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks for sharing!

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for sharing!

-Emt1581

sent the request about 15 min ago and had a call within 5 min. sample is on the way.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah I never got contacted.  I'll call tomorrow.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

A bag a jerky fills the void here?Right?
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Got a call from their rep today. I will give this brand a try and see how they taste. I usually get MT house meals but it's good to change things up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I didnt get a call yet.

I did get a email stating that they are too busy to call me, but I should call them. That wont happen, so I'm just waiting for the sales call when I can tell em that Doomsday Preppers sucks.

For those wondering about being contacted. You can opt out of all future contact with Wise and they dont sell info.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I didnt get a call yet.

I did get a email stating that they are too busy to call me, but I should call them. That wont happen, so I'm just waiting for the sales call when I can tell em that Doomsday Preppers sucks.

For those wondering about being contacted. You can opt out of all future contact with Wise and they dont sell info.
View Quote

I can help confirm that too.  I requested and recieved the call and sample last year, and haven't been contacted by them since either.  They've left me alone.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I got the call today. Rep said it would take about 4 to 6 days to get the sample.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Day 0 - filled out form
Day 1 - rcvd email asking to confirm address, informing me of "1st call special"; said I wasn't interested in buying until I tried it
Day 2 - rcvd notice sample will ship soon

No calls
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Called up Wise.

"Uh...yeah...we have your name and your number but everything else was erased from that forum you submitted."

I guess it didn't occur to them that you can actually call the number listed and someone would answer.

Then I asked about the advertisement that for $69 a month I can have Wise delivered to my house.  Well the guy didn't know if that meant a month's worth of food for $69 or $69 each month for some Wise food...

In any case they said my sample was on it's way.

EDIT:  Also, as far as their "meals" I plan to do a little calculating if they do send just one bag and then when the guy calls to survey me I'll ask him how he can consider a single serving a "meal" when multiplying it by three might not exactly give me 2000-2500cals per day??  I think this may go back to what someone said about their marketing.  You also have to love Hawk and his wife as their spokes people and the same two segments loop when you are on hold.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#34]
I filled out the form three or so days ago when I saw this thread.  I believe they called me yesterday when I was busy (did not confirm just random 888 number which is rare) and subsequently emailed me asking for my address. I gave it to them via email as instructed in their email, but have not heard back yet.  Will update when I do.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I filled out the form three or so days ago when I saw this thread.  I believe they called me yesterday when I was busy (did not confirm just random 888 number which is rare) and subsequently emailed me asking for my address. I gave it to them via email as instructed in their email, but have not heard back yet.  Will update when I do.
View Quote

DittoDitto
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#36]
form filled out

I 've seen the offer before but never followed through to try it,time to see what it tastes like
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Not for me... I did this last year. Filled out everything and sure enough had someone contact me. Was polite and told them I'd like to try a sample to see if the food was a good option for me to add to a emergency kit I was making. Well couple weeks go by and nothing. So I email them and politely say I didn't receive a sample. Get another contact and they say... so sorry we can take care of that but since they messed up... how about they just offer me a discount on my order? Explained I wasn't ordering till I tasted the food to see if it is something I wanted to purchase. Again I wait two weeks and no sample. So I gave up on them but did get junk mail from them for quite a while. So the end result of my experience with Wise is giving them my info was very Unwise. Congrats to those that had good luck with them but I went with Mountain House and think they are a great option and a lot more honest in their estimates of what makes up a "serving". Plus the mountain house stuff is actually pretty good and you can buy it locally so you can build it up over time as money allows. Also don't rule out getting stand alone freeze dried stuff. We buy freeze dried fruit at our Costco and it tastes fantastic with oatmeal for a simple breakfast.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I sent my brother the link to this.He mailed me back and said he tried the mac and cheese and it was "SHIT"!Ok I get it ,BUT if your starving that Shit will taste like angels milk.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I sent my brother the link to this.He mailed me back and said he tried the mac and cheese and it was "SHIT"!Ok I get it ,BUT if your starving that Shit will taste like angels milk.
View Quote

Everybody has a different perspective and makes their plans accordingly.

We (wife and I) sample, test and store things we like and know how to use.

We store 12-18months of basics and replace them as we use them now.

Our plan is not to have to eat crap.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#41]
thx!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#42]
I only tried the Pasta Alfredo that they sent me but there was LOTS of good flavor.  I believe you can order them from 511.  My local range sells the stuff for the same price. you are GTG.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I only tried the Pasta Alfredo that they sent me but there was LOTS of good flavor.  I believe you can order them from 511.  My local range sells the stuff for the same price. you are GTG.
View Quote

Seems like they send everyone the Alfredo for the free sample.  I mean I like Alfredo...just something I noticed from the replies here.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If you're out in the woods and looking for something that isn't tree bark or elephant piss why do you care if it's vegetarian?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Protein ! ( or  more  like  the  lack  of  it . )
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I don't know where the no meat in Wise foods rumor got started, but it's bullshit.  It seems to come up in every thread that involves Wise.  Apparently no one has ever looked at a bag of it in person, as it is stated in a big ass circle on the front of the meals, "MADE WITH REAL MEAT"  I bet you check the ingredients too, it'll say it

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/joe7170/IMAG0453_zpsc7edcefa.jpg http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/joe7170/IMAG0454_zps4660469b.jpg
Sure as shit says real meat, and has freeze dried chicken in the ingredients.  Amazing what reading can do
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/joe7170/IMAG0453_zpsc7edcefa.jpg http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/joe7170/IMAG0454_zps4660469b.jpg
I spoke with someone this time and I did receive my bag of Alfredo pasta. Its meatless. Not all but alot of their meals are meatless and they sell the meat separately.

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:22:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Chili Macaroni came in the mail today for me to try it is without meat but the catalog they sent shows the option of getting it with meat.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#47]

Must be a trap by a DHS front wanting to expand their data base of prepers

Quoted:

Really?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do on the food.

-Emt1581

Really?

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#48]
I also got Chili Mac, along with a catalog.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I also got Chili Mac, along with a catalog.
View Quote

Yup, me too.  They even shipped it USPS priority...guess they really want me to try this stuff!
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Sent in my request for the sample. Figure at worst it will be one free pouch of dried food.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top