Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/13/2013 5:53:03 PM EDT
Been contemplating buying some food for storage.  Just curious where you guys would recommend to buy.  Also, is any one brand better than another?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd check out the industry section here and support those who support the site.  I think there's some vendors that carry preparedness supplies.

I've tried Wise and Mountain House.  Will not purchase Wise again.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks and will do.  I've heard bad things about wise foods. Why did you not like them if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I love Mountain House but the cost is too ridiculous to me... Wise Foods was priced well but tastes weird. I'm in to see some responses, myself! A comfortable medium would be nice.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks and will do.  I've heard bad things about wise foods. Why did you not like them if you don't mind me asking?
View Quote

Texture was way off on the Wise v. MH.(They make everything you might like, but only in a soggy or soup version)  The only thing worse than the texture of Wise was it's flavor.  I took the Pepsi challenge, and MH is just way better.  I'm not too picky either, since I love me some MREs.  But had I not purchased and tried both Wise and MH, I'd never touch dehydrated food again.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
It's because all the Wise shit is textured vegetable protein, no real meat.

You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#6]
It seems that wise and mh are the 2 main choices?  Are there any other alternatives?

Op, check out costco online.  Not sure about the brands/price, but it seems they have a nice selection to choose from anyway.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 4:18:22 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

And you will get a lot of gas and smell like a ground hog
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 5:02:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you looking for pre-prepared meals, or ingredients, like rice, sugar, beans, etc?  If you just want to get bulk food storage, I would try to find a local LDS canning facility.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Bulk foods you can store your own by going to Sam's type club and buy bulk then repackage in mylar and buckets.  It is easy to do and there are many you tube videos on how to do it.  You can always store MRE's but that is expensive.  You can also buy from a local LDS supply.  I would if one was near me.  May have to take a 3 hour trip some time to see what they have.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 5:37:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bulk foods you can store your own by going to Sam's type club and buy bulk then repackage in mylar and buckets.  It is easy to do and there are many you tube videos on how to do it.  You can always store MRE's but that is expensive.  You can also buy from a local LDS supply.  I would if one was near me.  May have to take a 3 hour trip some time to see what they have.
View Quote

You don't have to drie three hours,
The order form is online and lets your know what they sell and the price.

You simply call them, submit an order form, then drive the three hours to pick it up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 6:11:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I have had good luck with walmart.com, I stocked up with wheat, some was $14 for a 26#  bucket....that is gone, it is now $25. BJs.com was decent also, you can try Amazon.com or Emergency Essentials, I get a good variety and sales from them.  Most of all I am teaching HurricaineAllie how to cook, slowly from scratch. I have a 12 yo that loves SOS and sausage gravy on biscuits
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 6:13:45 AM EDT
[#12]
taste and stomach test small amounts before committing to bulk purchase. I bought a #10 can of MH beef stew and it gave me wicked shits.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 6:43:59 AM EDT
[#13]
taste and stomach test small amounts before committing to bulk purchase. I bought a #10 can of MH beef stew and it gave me wicked shits.
View Quote

Just add it to your FAK as a laxative....I prefer to store components, I have veggies, pasta, even some diced meat..I can mak what I want. I have Red Feather Butter and Bega Cheese...just in case the Dairy industry goes under for awhile. As when there is a grain shortage because Barry diverted the corn to ethanol. We were having dinner and were out of butter...I opened a can I had that was dented...Shit was better than what we buy here. If I could I would use it every day. But with a crunch in the economy...you may have single item shortage. Or I can pull wheat, butter, veggies from the pantry and pay more for meat and eggs. If it is whole meals I have to use just what is in the can. I do keep some, more for bug out or crisis situations
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 7:33:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any pay a lot you will. Wise is overpriced shit.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Stick with Mountain House `JC.

I highly recommend that before you jump in to the #10 can arena, purchase and taste-test their pouched entrées first so you will be able to invest your money wisely (no pun intended) when it come time (and it will) to purchase the cans.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I didn't want to bring that up.  They both hit me the same though.  I wouldn't call them "survival" food.  A few weeks of that, I'm jumping!
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I backpack, and MH, and Wise are my staple foods.  I don't find anything wrong with most of the meals, either brand.  I have been eating Wise lately, as i got a good buy on a box of the packaged meals, and I find the variety in those to be a bit better.  IMO I find them on par with MH.

Also, as far as Wise not having meat, I beg to differ, here is a random pack of Chicken Alfredo i pulled out, as you can see it says "Made with Real Meat", and it has "freeze dried chicken" in the ingredients list

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#18]
But you notice there is a rabid ground hog in his avatar.....it is his pic after all the soy products
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey TJ, Honeyville looks good, I can see it filling some gaps with other suppliers, EE has a broader selection in a few things. I will try some, Have you eaten any of it?
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
But you notice there is a rabid ground hog in his avatar.....it is his pic after all the soy products
View Quote

That's chippy the sabertooth chipmunk, you don't even know what a Groundhog looks like?
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Will not purchase Wise again.
View Quote

I agree. Wise is for suckers. With MH, at least you get what you pay for, but for my money, Provident Pantry is the win.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#23]
That's chippy the sabertooth chipmunk, you don't even know what a Groundhog looks like?
View Quote

I have one under my shed..Don't you have sarcasm in WV
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was giving you a hard time lighten up Francis
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey I didn't make a crack about you marrying your cousin at least
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hey I didn't make a crack about you marrying your cousin at least
View Quote

Not legal in WV contrary to popular belief
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Been contemplating buying some food for storage.  Just curious where you guys would recommend to buy.  Also, is any one brand better than another?

Thanks.
View Quote

I'm also looking for long storing food.
Does any one know anything about this company:Legacy Premium Food Storage
Also Survival Cave Food
Any info would be helpfull!

PITA45
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 2:53:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:22:05 AM EDT
[#29]
First thing I taught HurricaineAllie to make was Chicken Helper....it is FD or Dried veggies, and better cooking time waise to add more of the same. I added Honeyville to my bookmarks with Wallyworld.com EE and Bjs...I can shop around and watch their sales. I told MrsWind I want to put $150  or so a month in Storage food, But also start using it day to day.  She has realized how screwed up the country is and a big pantry is a good thing.
As for the banana chips, she buys them for $6 and less than a pound...time to stock up.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:58:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I've had good luck with  http://www.bulkfoods.com for beans.

Bought my rice at Sams' club.

You have to vacuum pack the stuff yourself tho'
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Got Generators, an only a small chest freezer. I get the frozen bagged entrees, HurricaineAllie can make them and they are pretty good....best is nothing to keep a few weeks of them in the little freezer. They get get used up before they expire and in a crisis they are one pot dinners.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You can also buy from a local LDS supply.  I would if one was near me.  May have to take a 3 hour trip some time to see what they have.
View Quote

Actually found myself not too far away from the one I use from time to time today, so made the extra trip and they were CLOSED!
Now, only open 2 days per week. And today wasn't one of them!
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 3:11:22 AM EDT
[#34]
I prefer MH, but have supplemented with Alpine Aire and Backpackers Pantry.

I HIGHLY recommend Karst Sports.  Get on their mailing list and about twice a year, they send out emails for 20-25% off MH and other food products PLUS free shipping over $40!

I've ordered from them a dozen times over the years and have been extremely happy with their customer service and prices.

John
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#35]
No spammy redirect links allowed. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 9:23:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It seems that wise and mh are the 2 main choices?  Are there any other alternatives?

Op, check out costco online.  Not sure about the brands/price, but it seems they have a nice selection to choose from anyway.
View Quote

Thrive brand is awesome in my experience. That is the the shelf reliance brand btw.  THey have everything from staple foods to more obscure ingredients to fully prepared MH style stuff.

I've got a closet full of their stuff.  Quite satisfied.  JMHO.

I've also had great luck with the LDS cannery.  Haven't been there in a while though and I've heard rumors of policy changes.  Need to get back out that way soon.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#40]
I was on wallyworld.com and they dropped a lot of prices about 10%,
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sooo, you're saying if I eat it, the constant diaherria will go away and I wll smell better?

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#42]
no you will just get used to it
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#43]
I've just been researching Legacy Premium from Preparewise, but haven't tried it yet.  They place an emphasis on healthy food...real meat, totally GMO free and even gluten-free options - important for me.  And they have a low price guarantee (for the frugally-minded ).  You can find them at SuccessfulSurvival.net.  
Happy hunting...
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:57:22 AM EDT
[#44]
honeyville grain for the staples

Get on their email list for 10% off promos 1x per month with 15 & 20% off 1-2x per year
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#45]
I was just told to get food that has long expiration dates..ok more FD food
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#46]
I bought almost a pallet of "buckets" at my Walmart last month. They are the Augauson Farms pails. They had them marked $29.87. I thought I would try one. I got it, ran it through checkout. Checkout lady says they are $64 with tax! Holy crap, I tell them sign says $29.87.....next teller over says "Yea, those been ringing up wrong all day".....So, they get a manager over he overrides and gives it to me for the $29.87............

On the way home it dawns on me- something isn't right. I check Walmart.com on my Iphone.... Sure enough, the same pail is $59 on there- with tax that would be the $64 price.....They have a price mistake.....Turned around and went back. I loaded up several carts- ended up with 22 of the pails.....Called two buddies on the way home and they swung by after work....We about cleaned them out....

Went in the next day to get some ammo......Price was now $59! Won't be needing much in the way of "pre packaged" food to add to the supply for awhile- way ahead of schedule now!
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Did you pick up a pressure washer too?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought almost a pallet of "buckets" at my Walmart last month. They are the Augauson Farms pails. They had them marked $29.87. I thought I would try one. I got it, ran it through checkout. Checkout lady says they are $64 with tax! Holy crap, I tell them sign says $29.87.....next teller over says "Yea, those been ringing up wrong all day".....So, they get a manager over he overrides and gives it to me for the $29.87............

On the way home it dawns on me- something isn't right. I check Walmart.com on my Iphone.... Sure enough, the same pail is $59 on there- with tax that would be the $64 price.....They have a price mistake.....Turned around and went back. I loaded up several carts- ended up with 22 of the pails.....Called two buddies on the way home and they swung by after work....We about cleaned them out....

Went in the next day to get some ammo......Price was now $59! Won't be needing much in the way of "pre packaged" food to add to the supply for awhile- way ahead of schedule now!

Did you pick up a pressure washer too?  

Nope. Nor did I EVER misrepresent anything in the transaction. In fact, I didn't argue about it at all other than to say it was not the posted price, the other cashier was the one who said that --"They been ringing up wrong all day".

At some point, whose responsibility is it to check on it and make a correction if necessary? Mine? NO, certainly not under ANY arms length market based theory of commerce I'm familiar with. I paid EXACTLY what  the sign said, no less, no more and never said anything other than what their sign indicated was the asking price and under which price I had initiated the transaction. I'm not responsible for their mistakes.

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL have to ring price as marked, in jerzy it is a $1000 fine per count. I have a lot of Augauson Farms products. last january wheat went from $24 a pail to $14 a pail, free shipping over $50... 400# lbs of it
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
<SPAM removed by me.....>
View Quote

So, what is it called when a new member comes in and every post sends people to the same website to buy stuff?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top