Author
I keep my tinfoil under my cap.
Posted: 8/13/2013 3:09:50 PM
I caught an episode of this a while back, kind of a neat premise. Was a PBS documentary/social experiment/reality show type of thing where they took 3 families, put them through some rudimentary training then put them in Montana for 5 months to live like pioneers. Build a cabin, raise livestock, plant crops, etc. Goal was to be prepared to survive the coming winter, and they had experts come in and evaluate them at the end. Some eye-rolling moments of stupidity, but good watch. I think there were only like 4 episodes, so it's watchable.

Anyhow, thought I'd bring it up again since I spotted it on the program guide.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Interpreting humor and sarcasm may be difficult and those with Asperger's syndrome may take a joke literally.
Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/109925-symptoms-aspergers-syndrome/
xmetalhedx
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/13/2013 3:36:41 PM
[Last Edit: 8/13/2013 3:37:22 PM by xmetalhedx]
They've done several similar series on the same premise. Texas Ranch House, 1900 House, etc. Also check out Wartime Farm, it deals with farming during WW2 Britain. It has historians going back and living as if it were that era, so there's less drama and more history and how-to.

I don't know how often they get replayed on TV, but I've found them all available on the internet.
Waldo
World's Foremost Glock Hater
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/13/2013 4:26:05 PM

I saw one of them, don't remember which. Whatever one it was, the husband/father lost a bunch of weight from just working his ass off.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it..
MikeSH
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/15/2013 5:20:24 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
I caught an episode of this a while back, kind of a neat premise. Was a PBS documentary/social experiment/reality show type of thing where they took 3 families, put them through some rudimentary training then put them in Montana for 5 months to live like pioneers. Build a cabin, raise livestock, plant crops, etc. Goal was to be prepared to survive the coming winter, and they had experts come in and evaluate them at the end. Some eye-rolling moments of stupidity, but good watch. I think there were only like 4 episodes, so it's watchable.

Anyhow, thought I'd bring it up again since I spotted it on the program guide.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Per my DTV all episodes are going to be on back to back on 8/22.
P.M. Triluminar #117 GL of WVa
Bethesda Chapter #16 R.A.M.
Shenandoah Forest #150 Tall Cedars of Lebanon.
Noble of the Osiris Shrine.
TaylorWSO
Kool-aid
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/15/2013 7:08:56 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
Some eye-rolling moments of stupidity,
I would say mostly stupid.

none of them would have made it
The king of the vultures would be no less bent upon preying upon the flock than any of the minor harpies, it was indispensable to be in a perpetual attitude of defence against his beak and claws
Not Sure
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/15/2013 11:38:32 PM
Stupid or not - I only caught part of one episode before; thanks for the heads up OP.
Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
RR_Broccoli
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/16/2013 3:15:23 PM
It's worth watching once. Some interesting things and displays of how tough some things are.

Some of the participants spent too much time talking in my opinion, trying to make drama.

The similar show with the whole village of folks doing East Coast "dropped off by the company" colonists was pretty good.

Don't bother with 1800 house or victorian house or whatever. Strictly a women's drama show with an odd premise backdrop.
They already fear you, which is why they want your weapons. What they don't do is respect you, which is why they think they can take them. - Choking_Hazard
amos1909
America, Turn to God Because only He can Help Us!
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/16/2013 9:11:58 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By TaylorWSO:
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
Some eye-rolling moments of stupidity,
I would say mostly stupid.

none of them would have made it

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Acts 2:21
Chris0013
Official ARFCOM nickname from NorCal_LEO: Einstein
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/17/2013 12:12:44 AM
IIRC...they were not allowed to take period firearms.....and didn't a bear walk into one of the family's front yards?
Giltweasel
"a long train of abuses and usurpations"
NRAInstructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/17/2013 2:50:17 AM
It was a better, and uncut for commercials, show on PBS. Thought it was really interesting at the time. I tend to agree that none of the families would have made it intact through even a mild winter.
"Zeal without prudence is like a ship adrift."

Our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor.
BRONZ
You're Being Watched
NRAInstructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2013 11:55:23 AM
I wish it would come back on pbs..we ditched cable.
BRONZ

You never have trouble if you are prepared for it. T. Roosevelt

soncorn
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/24/2013 6:49:22 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By xmetalhedx:
Also check out Wartime Farm, it deals with farming during WW2 Britain. It has historians going back and living as if it were that era, so there's less drama and more history and how-to.

It is sad they haven't learned from history when it comes to domestic food production.

http://www.foodsecurity.ac.uk/issue/uk.html

But although the UK has a thriving farming sector – it exported £12Bn of food and drink in 2007 (ref 2) – Britain is not self-sufficient in food production; it imports 40% of the total food consumed and the proportion is rising (ref 1). Therefore, as a food-trading nation, Britain relies on both imports and thriving export markets to feed itself and drive economic growth.

If not for our huge land mass available for farming I am sure we would be in the same condition.

I mainly wonder how well we would do with more traditional farming methods. I question if we could feed ourselves much less act as a "supermarket to the world".
DJinGA
That sufficient to untwist your panties, princess?
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2013 8:58:12 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By BRONZ:
I wish it would come back on pbs..we ditched cable.

We have cable, but evidently not that channel.

I did a search and found in the listings, then set it up to DVR them all - only to find out the channel doesn't work for us.
Official Arfcom Nickname: Nosebleed