Opsec! Opsec! Opsec!.....

Yes. You coming to visit?
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First rule of living in a third world country is.

NEVER TRUST THE POLICE.

Ask me how I know.

I'm sure somebody else living in a third world country will chime in and give you some more words of encouragment

No kidding though, be really wise about preserving your personal data such as finances, schedules etc, even with law enforcement.,,hell, especially with law enforcement.

IHTR.
View Quote

have been party to bribing a cop in Costa Rica. Nothing major they were just shaking down our driver. $5 later and down the road we go.

My only encounter with police in panama thus far is them making me leave the side of the road where I was sleeping and then leading me to a hard to find motel. Helpful really. Of course I acted like I spoke no Spanish so As to not be shaken down, but I feel like they were honestly helping.

Link Posted: 8/28/2013 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

ETA: OPSEC fail on my part. How did you know where I was?
View Quote

Not your Opsec, Mine. You pinpointed me down to a 14 square mile island. I was just kidding though, I don't care. I would be hapy to host any travelling prepper.

Did you see an add for the property in question?
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 6:36:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it on San Cristobal?

In a heartbeat.  I've been eyeing property in Panama for some time now.  Not sure the wife can handle off grid. I have a Panamanian Birth Certificate, so getting citizenship is fairly easy for me.
Are you getting pensionado citizenship?
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In a heartbeat.  I've been eyeing property in Panama for some time now.  Not sure the wife can handle off grid. I have a Panamanian Birth Certificate, so getting citizenship is fairly easy for me.
View Quote

Well I am never going to apply for citizenship, residency yes. There may be a time when I need to come back here and help out. When America is ready for help. I am not moving because I don't love America, just a change in scenery and opportunity. I am pretty sure you meant residency and not citizenship anyway.

As far as off grid, you would never know it. You don't need A/C or heat. Just a few lights(LED) and ceiling fans as well as TV, ect. You can run a gas fridge and everyone uses gas stoves. A generator tops your batteries off once in a while long while and it runs your washer and dryer(if you don't use a clothesline.

At 37...no pensionado for me
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well I am never going to apply for citizenship, residency yes. There may be a time when I need to come back here and help out. When America is ready for help. I am not moving because I don't love America, just a change in scenery and opportunity. I am pretty sure you meant residency and not citizenship anyway.

As far as off grid, you would never know it. You don't need A/C or heat. Just a few lights(LED) and ceiling fans as well as TV, ect. You can run a gas fridge and everyone uses gas stoves. A generator tops your batteries off once in a while long while and it runs your washer and dryer(if you don't use a clothesline.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, I didn't realize that Panama recently changed it's residency laws.  Looks like it is quite easy now.
You can have Dual Citizenship as well, which is what I am planning on doing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#11]
UPDATE:

Got the survey this morning. everything looks great with a few minor clerical issues to be fixed. the actual survey itself is good and the property was just over 10 acres vs the 9.5 it was thought to be.

My corporation is in place and fully registered.

I think I already mentioned that I have solid quotes for my dock at 10K.

Everything is in place and basically all we are waiting on is our return and signatures.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#13]
good for you...

enjoy the Pura Vida.  internet in the jungle!?  do you have water on your property?

Never been down into panama but somewhere near you are good waves.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool!  Seco and Ron Cortez. Cerveza Panama!

Please keep us posted. I really want to do this too!
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
good for you...

enjoy the Pura Vida.  internet in the jungle!?  do you have water on your property?

Never been down into panama but somewhere near you are good waves.
View Quote

Better internet there than I have here. All water will be rain caught and filtered. Lot's of good waves and surfing.

Thanks all for the well wishes. We still have a long way to go and we are just hoping we can work out moving there full time.

The Syria situation has me nervous. I hope it doesn't affect the international travel situation in the near future.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 1:33:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Subscribing.  Very interesting.  Best wishes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#19]
When I lived in Panama 1990, handguns and shotguns were ok...
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I lived a little north for almost ten years on and off.... always skirted the "leave the country for 72 hours rule" by hitting the frontera and paying 50 bucks to have my passport stamped in and out of Panama.  money has no language barriers..
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I am starting to pack for my return on Friday.  I would like to travel light but alas that is not to be. I will be transporting 16lbs of stainless deck screws, 3 12"saw blades and various drill bits and countersinks.

These screws are superior to anything there, and quite expensive. The wood used for the dock is hard and eats bits and blades, which are also expensive there.

Since I am checking luggage, we decided to take some amusement along. Our underwater metal detector arrived today! That's right boys....I am confident that I will soon locate pirate treasure and cover all of my expenses and then some!

Stay tuned for on the scene updates and pics.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well I am starting to pack for my return on Friday.  I would like to travel light but alas that is not to be. I will be transporting 16lbs of stainless deck screws, 3 12"saw blades and various drill bits and countersinks.

These screws are superior to anything there, and quite expensive. The wood used for the dock is hard and eats bits and blades, which are also expensive there.

Since I am checking luggage, we decided to take some amusement along. Our underwater metal detector arrived today! That's right boys....I am confident that I will soon locate pirate treasure and cover all of my expenses and then some!

Stay tuned for on the scene updates and pics.
View Quote

Cool!  Having done some light construction work there on  a church project I can attest to the building materials being a bit shoddy.  Tools too.

Corvina!  Aji Chombo sauce.  Empanadas.  Patacones.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Certainly is a beautiful place. How is it during hurricanes?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My father bought an Island and moved to Bocas Del Toro 10 years ago. It has been an adventure for him in a great many ways, some good some not so much. He still lives there and hasn't come running back to the US so he is either really tuff or its working out.

Certainly is a beautiful place. How is it during hurricanes?

Bocas del Toro is not in the hurricane belt. The island has never experienced a single hurricane in recorded history
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Just a warning on private property. Make sure you that they government will always recognize you as the owner. I've heard of plenty of examples of people buying property then having to fight with the government to keep it when they decided foreigners could not own property.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Luckily panama has a long track record on  good property rights.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

.... Our underwater metal detector arrived today! That's right boys....I am confident that I will soon locate pirate treasure and cover all of my expenses and then some!
View Quote

Expect a visit from the Spanish government.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#27]
No one ever suspects the Spanish Inquisition!
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Alright, I am in the Tri-cities airport vetting ready to fly to Atlanta where I will leave this afternoon and land in Panama City around 9pm. Then we go to an excellent little hostel in the city that areanges all of the transport.

Revilei is at 04:30 tomorrow as the 50 minute flight to Bocas leaves at 06:30. So all in all it is a fairly long journey mainly because of terrible flight schedules.

However, flying from here is a joy and keeps me from an anal probe in Atlanta security. Really these small airports highlight what a farce the TSA is.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 7:43:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Alright, I am in the Tri-cities airport vetting ready to fly to Atlanta where I will leave this afternoon and land in Panama City around 9pm. Then we go to an excellent little hostel in the city that areanges all of the transport.

Revilei is at 04:30 tomorrow as the 50 minute flight to Bocas leaves at 06:30. So all in all it is a fairly long journey mainly because of terrible flight schedules.

However, flying from here is a joy and keeps me from an anal probe in Atlanta security. Really these small airports highlight what a farce the TSA is.
View Quote

Good luck and post pics!
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#30]
So how does Obamacare figure into all of this?  Are you going to have to remain compliant even while living out of the country?
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Guys the closing was very smooth. We had zero issues.

This week we started clearing the area that will be our backyard which was a massive impenetrable mass of brush and vine. Our guy worked hard for two days  at $13 a day which was higher than most pay.

There will be many pictures to come! We are shopping materials and supplies as well as a boat now.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Guys the closing was very smooth. We had zero issues.

This week we started clearing the area that will be our backyard which was a massive impenetrable mass of brush and vine. Our guy worked hard for two days  at $13 a day which was higher than most pay.

There will be many pictures to come! We are shopping materials and supplies as well as a boat now.
View Quote

Woohoo!  Labor is cheap there, for sure. I really want to do this one day too.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ferfal: I agree with Hunter 110%. Americans and other people used to 1st world living moving to the 3rd world, it very rarely ends up well and I've known a good share.

Like I said it is good for you to post this stuff. This isn't something for everyone. Allow me to introduce you to a another kind of American.

My family headed to the wilderness those hundreds of years ago for a different life. I am sure to seek an improvement on their current ones. Certainly not for comfort, but for opportunity. Perhaps they even had a sense of adventure too.

Me, I am the guy who risks his life running a rapid, riding a motorcycle everyday, doing a mountain bike trail over my head. Some people like comfort. Some people play it safe. For me that sort of life is unhealthy. My moods get bleak, and I long for that embrace of the world.

I love the jungle, I love the reef. So does my wife. It is as much a part of us as breathing. It's like a religion to a primal need in our souls.

We get locked into our lives as peppers so much that we forget to live. We forget what life can be. It is not supposed to be waiting around for the big one scared to leave the house. I will take my prep per resourcefulness and I will step into a different life and live that adventure. I can't cower in the corner and not try a dream.

Safety and security. A beautiful thing, but not something that the true American spirit can be harnessed with. We have ever been men and women who push forward. Conquerers of of nations and ever curious about what was around the next bend over that ridge.

I have been to 13 countries and have seen third world. They didn't have better satalite and cell phone reception that I do here. They weren't more healthy than the drug afflicted population I am surrounded by. America is not a the utopia that it seems on the surface.

We are falling into a state where our children are taught to be ashamed of success. We are building a society of freeloaders who get paid more to not work than be productive. Still a great nation? To be sure, but a cancerous one. But this diatribe isn't about the faults of one nation or another. It is simply an introduction to an American who says "I see an opportunity" and then grabs life by the balls and does it.

If I were to say, I am taking my wife and we are going to off grid and self reliant in remote Alaska and would be championed a hero. But I am certainly not writing this for any sort of recognition and you wisely council caution before taking a misstep.

I am counciling to those few spirits who feel the pull, and you know who you are. The guys who chose to be grunts, the guys who think adventure is the equivilant of living. I say to you, don't crush your spirit out of fear of the unknown. Because I have news for you...if you are that easily cowed, that unable to adapt and overcome you won't survive a collapse anyway and in the meantime you will never have lived anyway.

I may fail and you guys will be a witness to that failure if it is within my power, but I will have tried and lived life doing it. For those who say what if I lived my dream now, I sincerely hope you never live to say what if I had. Have a plan, be cautious, but don't starve your souls behind your ammo forts.
View Quote

Well said. You are the "Man in the Arena" and I wish you luck, fair winds and following seas.
Thanks so much for posting this thread.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 1:21:02 AM EDT
[#34]
6 pages and nobody has asked for pictures?

For shame ...
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 1:23:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.... Our underwater metal detector arrived today! That's right boys....I am confident that I will soon locate pirate treasure and cover all of my expenses and then some!

The lagoon at the base of Old Fort San Larenzo, I heard had a sunken spanish ship in it, that fort protected the eastern side of the silver trail.....ofcourse the lagoon is infested with hammerheads, we never went swimming their when we trained on Ft Sherman..
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#36]
good deal, glad things are still moving smoothly.   I never got far from the canal zone so I can only imagine what your new neck of the woods is like.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The lagoon at the base of Old Fort San Larenzo, I heard had a sunken spanish ship in it, that fort protected the eastern side of the silver trail.....ofcourse the lagoon is infested with hammerheads, we never went swimming their when we trained on Ft Sherman..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know of a couple of guys that went diving there while the hammerheads were mating.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Pics not loading!! :)
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I know...the pics! I promise just a day or so and I will get them up.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#40]

My beach

one of my trails...dense jungle

view from the front yard

working on the home site

More beach

Neighboring island
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#41]

I miss that country.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Can't wait for the giant possum sloth pictures to come out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Nice!
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I've always liked that country. Enjoy it
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Love it! thanks!
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I will get some more pics up soon.

Our "groundskeeper", Alexi, has been working on the property. Cleaning up the home site and cutting in a trail up a bank to make the walk to the homesite less steep. This is being overseen by the sellers for us. He has worked also clearing property lines. A solid week of work. I left $200 in anticipation of some work being done while we are gone. After seven days of work we now have $109 dollars still available out of the $200.

Assuming Alexi does a credible job we will likely keep him as a groundskeeper, at least part time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#49]
It sounds crazy, but also really cool.  Good luck with all your endeavors.

Please keep us updated.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#50]
If ya need an uzi or something, ask any rasta standing on a corner in Colon..also the Platinum had some nice girls..this is all 20 year old info though....
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top