User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Juvenile Bighorn Sheep maybe?  

Could be a llama, some people use them as pack animals when hiking.  
I guess it's not outside the realm of possibility that one got separated from its owner on a trail somewhere.
View Quote
We looked at pix of those and she's adamant the animal looks just like a young llama.

Weird...

I'm just happy it wasn't Bigfoot.

We can deal with llamas...

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Latest pix when we came up...

One of the fly traps at the container was pulled down and destroyed. The other that's an easy paw's reach was left alone...

Surprisingly none of the zillion rocks were pulled out and turned over.

Looks like the Momma bear a few days ago... Wondering if that speck of light just to the right of the electric fence post is the baby's eye?

Baby bear this morning -2 pictures... I wasn't up here and wasn't monitoring the sensors where I was. Started monitoring them abt 10:45 so just missed the possibility of getting some nice pix on the Axis PTZ IP cam.

Probably thinking how this may be his domain in a few years...  If a lion or bear doesn't kill him...

Wonder if he got his nose in the electric fence we set up a couple weeks ago to protect the siding/skirt... Neither of the poppers has been set off either.

They live real close... Eating supper in the container w/ our 5-7's on...

The bears seem to LOVE to come visit here! Must be the view...
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The Adpro IR long range sensor at the barn went off late at night a few days ago and there was a big beautiful fox with a huge bushy tain outside the door abt 15 feet.

It seemed not to notice me opening the door and shining a Fenix at it.  I whistled and called it to like a dog and it looked, then walked slowing into the woods.

Since the foxes have been around, the rabbit buddies have disappeared and there don't seem to be as many mice.

Here's another picture of the little bear. We haven't seen the mom or him for awhile.

Those yellow loops of urethane tubing are insulators for the stainless safety wire for the electric fence.

The bear is in the middle of the electric fence and a maze of trigger strings for two CO2 poppers.

I lowered the lower stand of the fence. Considering the thickness of the bears' coat, the electric fence SEEMS to have solved the issue of their damaging the toileting system. Knock on wood.

Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting 'bear psychology'...

A while [5 weeks?] before, [pix below] the Mom and baby were looking at a bug catcher I was testing on the side of the container.

Mom pulled it down and destroyed it.

No electric fence.

In the pictures in the last post, the baby is repeating the exercise, but there's no smelly fly catcher!

If you look carefully, baby is behind Mom, helping.

Link Posted: 12/4/2017 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Haven't seen Baby Vibrant Bear for some time, took electric fence and 'popper' system down, will probably add a microwave intrusion detection system before hibernation is over.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 3:53:50 AM EDT
[#6]
We've bought some various LED/solar panel outdoor lights that I mentioned in another thread. We love them...

They come in two detection flavors, PIR and microwave.

The microwave is longer range and more sensitive, since it uses Doppler shift, it is most sensitive when a body is moving toward or away from it.

PIR detectors' sensitivity varies with ambient temperature and body temp.  They are most sensitive then you walk 'across' their 'view'.

Also, I've learned how to set up triggers, detection, what Axis calls 'applications', to start a video recording [or many other functions, close a contact, for example] when a trigger is activated.

Tonight I checked for video recordings in the mountain, and saw one for this date at night. So I played it, and it started out dark, and then one of the lights mentioned above came on, and there was a huge lion walking around the barn. Because it was night the recording was black and white, couldn't see any colors.

The animal activity for the past month has been pretty slow.

The reason the recording started out dark is because you can set a pre-trigger and after trigger delays and in this case the camera activates 15 seconds before the trigger and continues 15 seconds after the trigger goes low.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Any more sign of the mountain lion?
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:08:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any more sign of the mountain lion?
View Quote
Not since last reported...

A good sized rabbit wintered and a fox came around from time to time, over the past few weeks.

I'll look at snow tracks tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Looked around and there's no new tracks of any animals, for at least several days, over a fairly large area.

It's been cold, they are probably hunkered down -and hungry...
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Saw small bear tracks in the dirt yesterday!

Cams haven't recorded any animal activity.

Set up electric fence around the 'interesting' [to the bears] section of the container Saturday.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 4:32:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Saw the first bear today remotely after it triggered a cam.

Medium sized, wandered through and then I looked at the toileting system w/ the container cam and it hasn't been disturbed.

A game cam would have caught the bear getting zapped by the fence and I'll review it next time and post if there's a picture.

There's an electric fence guarding that side of the container, [2 wire strands, with a fence post about 10 feet from container, strands of Harbor Freight stainless safety wire in pneumatic 3/16" tubing loops for insulators, wire goes from container to post and back to container]

An on/off switch with a red LED in the toggle that the bear could poke with his nose and turn the system off, I suppose.

A few days ago I was reviewing the cams' triggered recordings [not many usually] and saw 7 with a small dog that looked domesticated and totally lost.

It wandered around for about 15 minutes trying to figure out which way to go, and possibly trying to contact a human for help, but then left and I haven't seen it since.

I would give it poor odds of survival, considering the lions, bobcats, coyotes, and bears.

If I had been there I could have checked for collar and owner, but there's no one around for a long ways.

An alert just sounded a few minutes ago, looked by remotely turning floodlights on, but didn't see anything. There most likely definitely was, the PIR sensor has been extremely reliable and almost no falses, out to over 100 yards, we walk tested it beyond that a week ago.

It could trigger the cam when it's dark and turn on the floods, hmmmm....
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 4:38:39 AM EDT
[#12]
The electric fence IIRC is a Yellow Jacket brand, can run on a bunch of D cells, and I've wired it into the container 12vdc electrical system.

I'd like to find something with moar 'spark' because the bears are stubborn and have a lot of hair.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Saw first bear a couple days ago, recorded on a PTZ cam, also a good sized bobcat.

Bear was medium sized, might be the one in my avatar, similar color, if it had plenty to eat since Fall.

We've got some more of the Recoynx game cams and hope to get them up in strategic places to supplement the cheap ones. SO is in charge of this but I have to make the brackets.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, another bear this afternoon. This one looked smaller, but was about 150 feet from the cam to get much detail.

I hope it's the little one in my avatar [bigger of course]

Need to figure out how to use the zoom and tracking feature when the cam detects something.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Dare brand fencers seem to have held up from observing family members' setups.  Get something high joule, suggested for goats and predators.
As always, I enjoy the updates.  We haven't seen bears on our property yet this year.  Ours are a lot more shy than yours.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 4:54:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dare brand fencers seem to have held up from observing family members' setups.  Get something high joule, suggested for goats and predators.
As always, I enjoy the updates.  We haven't seen bears on our property yet this year.  Ours are a lot more shy than yours.
View Quote
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll see the availability of used Dare Zappers.

This morning we were waking up in the container and an alert went off and the cam at the barn showed what looked like the Momma of the little bear in my avatar from last year.

She walked towards the galvanized garbage can that holds roof water and headed down towards the container.

I took my whistle and back up bells in condx 1 and went out to see if I could see her, walked around watching my 6 but she must have been spooked off.

Earlier the night before, my SO wanted to leave the sliding door open so we set up a Harbor Freight driveway alarm in front of it for a bear warning.

We haven't checked the game cam at the container yet to see if any bears have been zapped.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Yipes!

I got called to supper in the container and on the way down decided to write about the bear that was recorded on the barn PTZ cam today and his mom.

Abt 9AM, we were in town, and the smaller of the two bears, the tiny baby in the pix above [who isn't so tiny anymore

Bear walked out of the woods behind the barn and across the new driveway we built 2 years ago and towards the container. Same route they follow every time I've watched.

Both are pretty funny, because they walk slow and look like they're in deep thought [thinking about their next meal?] and they move their jaw up and down like they're talking to themselves.

When I got to the container there was a large perfect bear paw print in the dirt. Claws and everything.

I walked around the container and the first thing I saw was the fence zapper red LED toggle switch was down and off. 2 possibilities who did it, bear or my SO.

Got to the door and asked my SO why she turned the switch off,  she said she checked the solar system batteries yesterday and forgot to turn it on. I told her to hang her underware or something on the post to remind her to turn it back on because the bears make a lot of work for me when they tear the skirt of the container off.

The stainless Harbor Freight safety wire didn't look disturbed or stretched so I think these bears have already been conditioned to avoid that area by getting their noses zapped.

The container is warm inside so we may leave the glass sliding door open tonight and rely on the Harbor Freight driveway alarms that have provided such good service over the years to alert us to intruders.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#18]
What does a bear do in response to various lights?
Specifically thinking bright led strips specifically timed to give the appearance of motion, or maybe the laser holographic outdoor Christmas lights.

Maybe just stick with what works, electric fence and poppers.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:40:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What does a bear do in response to various lights?
Specifically thinking bright led strips specifically timed to give the appearance of motion, or maybe the laser holographic outdoor Christmas lights.

Maybe just stick with what works, electric fence and poppers.
View Quote
I don't know about lights except when the IR or microwave triggered lights have come on, the mountain lion and I think I observed a bear, don't seem to notice.

IIRC, there's a series of game cam snaps where a popper went off and the bear turned his head slightly and went back to chewing on the container skirt or something.

Bears don't seem to get worked up over much of anything except protecting their cubs. And getting zapped... Problem is they're very curious.

My SO roams all over the place collecting 'special' rocks and stuff, and she told me tonight that she observed again this year a large bird pretty far away from the container and barn [uses ATV and then walks into this area.]

The bird is large and can't fly, she saw it in the same area last year and possibly the year before. This year it has a nest under a tree where it can get to it and today [second time this week she was over there] she said she took it some nuts and water.

It can hop a good distance at a knee high altitude, I wonder if it has babies how they are able to survive in a nest close to the ground.

I'll ask her to take a camera and get some pictures. I'd say that bird is a real survivor and wonder what it does during the winter.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Pix of bird below...

She says in the daytime when she sees it, it is always in it's 'nest', that is just a small cleared and depressed area in the dirt under a particular tree.

Today it hadn't disturbed the nuts she placed some distance away, and wasn't sure abt the water.

It may be an owl, altho the eyes are on the sides of it's head. Since it decided to live away from a water source [known to us], it might be an owl, that gets its water from prey, altho I can't see how it could get nearly enough.

I asked her to take a very small piece of turkey and we will leave it alone except for an occasional 'check-up'. It seems to be quite healthy.

Link Posted: 6/30/2018 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Asked for a movie to observe flying hopping.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Common Nighthawk maybe?

Google image search results look very similar to your bird, but not sure about size.

If that’s what you have, I think they pretty much eat aerial bugs.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Common Nighthawk maybe?

Google image search results look very similar to your bird, but not sure about size.

If that’s what you have, I think they pretty much eat aerial bugs.
View Quote
I think that's the one. Everything matches incl the white stripe.

She got a short 10 sec video, but it only hopped for a second and can't get in the air.

I may go over there w/ her tomorrow and observe from a distance, since I don't want to further disturb the bird today.

It certainly isn't eating bugs while flying.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Now I remember...

Abt 4 and 5 years ago, there were several aggressive birds about 1000 feet NE of this bird's area, that liked to zoom at us about dark. They were bigger birds so that would tie in with this one.

Googled and found this video and it ties in perfectly with what I observed a few years ago.

He talks about how aggressive their flying is, and our injured bird may have misjudged. He says they dive within a few feet of the ground and ours may have hit an unseen branch, etc.

https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/zoom-the-aerial-display-of-the-common-nighthawk/#_ga=2.195852012.1736060205.1530393796-781750509.1530393794
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Do you have any wildlife rehab type people out your way?  Don’t know whether they’d mess with a nightjar, but here in AR I’ve called Game & Fish when I’ve seen injured hawks, and they send someone out to see if they can catch and help the bird.

Did you say this thing has a nest?  If so, I wonder if it’s really hurt, or just trying to get you away from its nest.

Just Googled, they do lay their eggs on the ground.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Not flying currently because it is molting season?
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#27]
The nest is a dusty shallow hole in the ground at the base of a tree. Empty. Maybe 'nest' is the wrong term...  

The bird over a few years has never flown from her observations in the Spring, now Summer and Fall. Same bird, same tree, etc. Same last year.

The bird is doing fine and I'm not going to bring in someone to mess up it's life.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 7:19:41 AM EDT
[#28]
That makes sense, letting it do its thing.  I should have re-read your post about seeing the bird doing well before making my comment.

I think just being able to see one of those up close is a treat; I’ve never seen one sitting still except in pics.  Often see them flying around here, at night, mostly flying around the lights of parking lots.  Pretty much just in warmer weather, I guess when they have bugs to eat.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I observed the Nighthawk for a moment. It seems to avoid having to "'hop' while flapping it's wings", because I get the sense it's painful for the bird.

Otherwise I think it would not be so tame/patient allowing someone to get close, and would increase distance.

Maybe we can put a game cam over there to see how the bird spends its time. Do you think a cam would disturb it?

More info about bears, there were tracks of a tiny bear and large bear, so it looks like another has had a cub this year.

Doubt if it's the bear that had the little one in my avatar, because she's still busy getting that one trained.

I expect to see the new ones show up on the cams one day soon.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Camera emplaced.

Bird was in nest, got out, didn't pay much attention and never tried to fly.

Forgot lopper -thank goodness for SERRATED survival knives.  lol
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Also had a bear incident today. He only got some chicken feed, which I don't care much about. As long as he doesn't catch chickens or piglets, I don't mind him hanging around ...Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice bear!

Will be interesting to see if he starts chasing them or ignores them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nice bear!

Will be interesting to see if he starts chasing them or ignores them.
View Quote
I really hope he leaves them alone. I don't mind him eating their feed. They free range most of the time anyways.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I really hope he leaves them alone. I don't mind him eating their feed. They free range most of the time anyways.
View Quote
It's been strange this year, for 2 months we haven't seen a bear and for the past four weeks haven't heard one.

Yet there is what looks like bear scat about 300 feet from here in the woods and is fresh. Has deer hair in it, or maybe it's a mountain lion...
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Bear piles in Michigan's upper peninsula have lots of pin cherry pits this time of year.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#36]
This year has been unusual in that we haven't heard bears 'calling' this fall, or seen many signs of them if any.

Have seen more than usual bobcats, lions, and foxes on cams.

Just checked the cam recordings at the barn and saw abt 3 AM last night a fox sized animal with a long thick bushy tail patrolling looking for vermin. A solar motion sensing light on the barn was activated and the light caused the PTZ camera to begin to record for a programmed 15+ second interval.

Looked like a cat [small head] but had a tail more like a fox, wasn't as big as a grown mtn lion, maybe a real young one, but they have thin tails. ?

Very little mice, pack rats and squirrels seen this year.

Highly unusual in our experience. All the animals we've seen look healthy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#37]
One bear was seen [captured on the PTZ cam 3 weeks ago].

Big, fat, and healthy.

All are likely snoozing now.

Nothing except some foxes and a mountain lion on the game cams.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I'd be interested in seeing some of your mountain lion pics.  
The foxes are probably helping keep down your mouse and pack rat populations.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'd be interested in seeing some of your mountain lion pics.  
The foxes are probably helping keep down your mouse and pack rat populations.
View Quote
Now that you mention it, I saw a fox night before last on the PTZ cam.

The entire animal population this year has been odd.

I'll try to post the next time I see a lion.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Maybe next time he's around have a shotgun loaded with rubber buckshot in the pipe and a tube full of slugs.
The rubber buckshot to teach him fear of man and the slugs in reserve in case he's a hard learner.

ETA: sorry I read through some more and saw that's been discussed.

You're a lot more comfortable with bears around in close proximity than I would be with chickens and such around.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks EXPY37 for sharing everything with us it's been really cool how you handle the bears being around.
Stay safe and keep posting when you have time. Dan
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks Dan.

All I've seen recorded on the cams up there have been deer and elk during the past month.

My SO has run into bears about 3 or 4 times up close and personal and no issues.

She says she's concerned abt mountain lions tho.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Got another picture about 4:30 AM 2 days ago.

A bobcat was moving across the snow and tripped one of the lithium battery/solar charged lights. [Great lights for not much money, a real security force multiplier, and they come in a wide variety of sizes and shapes for various applications, low cost, eBay has a vast array]

Caught just 2 seconds of the cat as it left the camera field. Wonder where it finds food?

Past winters there's many more small tracks about this time, from various rodents. This year can't see any.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 1:08:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Animals are out again, fox, bobcats, haven't seen bear tracks but expect very soon.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Rubber buckshot might run him off. Also the game warden might trap and remove him depending on the warden.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#46]
OP I assume that you don't have house pets, cats, dogs.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#47]
How ya doin', OP?  
Did your bears show back up this year?
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Not many signs of bears or wildlife in general.

Puzzling....
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Not many signs of bears or wildlife in general.

Puzzling....
View Quote
In for Sasquatch pics!

All jokes aside, it could partly be that with the better moisture/snowpack this year, food is more plentiful.  
No need to go scrounging at the EXPY37 house when the woodland grocery store is open for business.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

In for Sasquatch pics!

All jokes aside, it could partly be that with the better moisture/snowpack this year, food is more plentiful.  
No need to go scrounging at the EXPY37 house when the woodland grocery store is open for business.
View Quote
Never was any food for them there!

Very careful...
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top