Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2013 5:30:37 PM EDT
Figured you guys were probably the ones to ask.

I want to add a 5000 btu window AC unit to my sailboat. It will fit perfectly in one area hence the size.

How big a generator do I need to run this unit? The idea is to be on the water for a couple days and be cool at night when sleeping. The Gen needs to be something I can move fairly easily from storage to a mount on the transom.

Thoughts?

This is the AC unit I'm considering

http://www.walmart.com/ip/General-Electric-5-000-BTU-Window-Air-Conditioner-AET05LQ/20449871

And this is the boat.

Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I want to add a 5000 btu window AC unit to my sailboat. It will fit perfectly in one area hence the size.

How big a generator do I need to run this unit? The idea is to be on the water for a couple days and be cool at night when sleeping. The Gen needs to be something I can move fairly easily from storage to a mount on the transom.

Thoughts?
View Quote

Do you just want to power the A/C or do you want to power other things?

You should see how many watts the A/C unit is first.

As far as portability goes I'm guessing a small Honda would be your best bet.  And if you do have a sailboat that needs a 5000 btu A/C unit I'm guessing you can indeed afford a Honda big enough.

Of course you could always pick up your run of the mill generator with wheels at the nearest big box store.  For marine use, maybe someone else will have something to suggest that is more appropriate.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As far as portability goes I'm guessing a small Honda would be your best bet.  And if you do have a sailboat that needs a 5000 btu A/C unit I'm guessing you can indeed afford a Honda big enough.

Of course you could always pick up your run of the mill generator with wheels at the nearest big box store.  For marine use, maybe someone else will have something to suggest that is more appropriate.

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

-Emt1581

I want to power the AC unit and maybe a couple lights and charge the cellphone. Nothing too extravagant I don't think.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#3]
During the derecho last year I powered a 6k btu window AC with a Honda EU2000 without any issues..  We also ran a few small items (lamp, phone chargers, TV, etc at the same time)

The AC had a fan switch that i used to get the AC up and running before i switched on  the compressor..  I had the eco mode OFF when when the AC was started, but I dont remember if i turned it back on after it was running or now.

FWIW - The eu would run about 8 or 9 hours on a tank of gas..
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#4]
The EU's and the similar Yamaha generators are GREAT units.. Someone on here posted last year that they worked in a marina and they used the EU's on their boats for the weekenders that go out. They started the gennies on Fri and they didnt get turned off (except for fueling) until Sunday night.. No problems after years of service..

Buy online, and you can get one for <$900 shipped

Brian
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I want to power the AC unit and maybe a couple lights and charge the cellphone. Nothing too extravagant I don't think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

-Emt1581

For lights and cell-phone have you considered a small solar panel, battery, and a few LED bulbs?  That's what I have and it works GREAT!!

I checked the wattage...it says 515watts.  That's seriously small!  I mean for your boat it might be fine though.  But in any case I'd get one of these and call it a day!

http://www.harborfreight.com/63cc-900-watts-max800-watts-rated-portable-generator-60338.html

I know it looks like a toy but they are serious work horses!  And for the wattage you'll need I'd think it would work just fine.  I've had mine for a few years and it is some of the best money I've spent!  Plus because it's two cycle you don't have to run it until it's dry, flush it, etc...let it sit for 6 months at a time if you want!

Plus you can run a few LED/CFL lights off of it at the same time.  But again, get one or two deep cycle marine batteries and either charge them by catching the leftover energy from the generator (which I am NOT an expert on) or get yourself a small solar setup...or both.

-Emt1581

But ok, for just the AC and maybe some CFL/LED lights I'd
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like 520 Watts for that particular unit.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you can grab a Honda EU2000 or Yamaha EF2000 and run it for roughly 10 hours on a gallon of gas.

Link Posted: 7/19/2013 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

For lights and cell-phone have you considered a small solar panel, battery, and a few LED bulbs?  That's what I have and it works GREAT!!

I checked the wattage...it says 515watts.  That's seriously small!  I mean for your boat it might be fine though.  But in any case I'd get one of these and call it a day!

http://www.harborfreight.com/63cc-900-watts-max800-watts-rated-portable-generator-60338.html

I know it looks like a toy but they are serious work horses!  And for the wattage you'll need I'd think it would work just fine.  I've had mine for a few years and it is some of the best money I've spent!  Plus because it's two cycle you don't have to run it until it's dry, flush it, etc...let it sit for 6 months at a time if you want!

Plus you can run a few LED/CFL lights off of it at the same time.  But again, get one or two deep cycle marine batteries and either charge them by catching the leftover energy from the generator (which I am NOT an expert on) or get yourself a small solar setup...or both.

-Emt1581

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

-Emt1581

-Emt1581

what about start up draw? I've read/heard that the startup is the hardest thing to deal with.

Thanks all for the great idea's.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

what about start up draw? I've read/heard that the startup is the hardest thing to deal with.

View Quote

Yup, with compressors, start-up will draw more but I can't imagine it'd be double on that small of a unit so you should be fine. Keep in mind though this would only be good for a few hours tops between re-fills.  So it wouldn't work for overnight.  

You'll need something with a larger tank for overnight.  But it is super lightweight and portable!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thoughts?

-Emt1581

-Emt1581

Buy the A/C and a kill-a-watt and find out. Sounds like you are buying it anyway, so I would go this route and then you can see your exact energy requirements. Of course, you probably end up with the honda..
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Invest in a Kil-O-Wat.  It will measure start up draw and running draw.  Then you can figure out what size generator you need.  When I get home I can measure my 5000 btu window unit.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Invest in a Kil-O-Wat.  It will measure start up draw and running draw.  Then you can figure out what size generator you need.  When I get home I can measure my 5000 btu window unit.
View Quote

Thanks I'd appreciate it!

Boat right now has 2 deep cycle batteries and a small solar panel that keeps them hot. Currently they only start the engine every couple weekends when I get a chance to go sailing. But I want to make this into a weekend boat with the GF. Hence the need for A/C and creature comforts.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#12]
You might be surprised at how small a generator will do it.

In this thread, Blackoperations was able to start and run a 5000 BTU window unit with his 800 watt 2-stroke Harbor Freight generator!

I use a GE 5,000 BTU window unit (the exact same one the OP is considering purchasing) as the electrical load to exercise my little 2.4 HP Champion 1200 watt generators -

They barely flinch when the A/C is turned on.

Link Posted: 7/19/2013 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Ski, how loud is that 1300 watt unit, it would be perfect to replace wear and tear on the EU2000, that is running right now & pwr'ing the m-wave.

Link Posted: 7/19/2013 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Boat right now has 2 deep cycle batteries and a small solar panel that keeps them hot. Currently they only start the engine every couple weekends when I get a chance to go sailing. But I want to make this into a weekend boat with the GF. Hence the need for A/C and creature comforts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At low altitudes, even the Honda EU1000i will run the 5k A-C fine. Not a lot of juice left over, but a 5k A-C load puts the genny in abt the best range of its efficiency curve for wear and tear and fuel consumption.

I'd go with the EU2000 or similar just for the extra capacity.

Link Posted: 7/19/2013 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ski, how loud is that 1300 watt unit, it would be perfect to replace wear and tear on the EU2000, that is running right now & pwr'ing the m-wave.
View Quote

A LOT louder than your EU2000.

Champion rates it at 65 dB, compared to 53-59 dB for the EU2000i.

It is what it is - a small, simple, reliable, relatively noisy $200 generator.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here are the results. Numbers are rounded.

Compressor kick on causes surge to 1600 watts.  Runs at 480 watts with AC running on high.  Just the fan on high runs at 40 watts.

It is a brend new AC unit so running perfectly.

My unit for emergencies which I measured is the one you are looking at.

What I used to measure

Link Posted: 7/19/2013 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Was compressor startup draw measured AFTER the refrig system Freon reached equilibrium pressure on both sides of the compressor, by resting 4 or 5 minutes?

How was the start-up current measured?

See it now...

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 4:02:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd consider improved ventilation over adding the AC.  How are you going to mount it (in the companion way I'm guessing)?  Where are you going to store the AC and generator while under way?  Having a generator making a bunch of noise 5 feet from may impact your sleep as much as a little bit of heat.  I would look into some 12v fans, maybe some solar vents, etc.  You could always sleep in the cockpit if its really sticky down below.  Or just wait till the cooler months to overnight (what I do).  Unfortunately you don't have the forward hatch which greatly improves ventilation (especially at anchor).  

With my wife the biggest hurdle to overnighting on my C22 is the bathroom situation.  Besides the obvious, there isn't a good place to wash your face/put in contact lenses/etc.  

A couple other creature comforts that are more practical (in my mind at least) are a 12V cooler and a stereo.  My wife approves of both of those items.  

I realize this doesn't answer your question about a generator.  I tested my champion 3500 yesterday, and the thought of that thing vibrating on my sailboat gave me the willies :)

For reference:

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 6:03:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd consider improved ventilation over adding the AC.  How are you going to mount it (in the companion way I'm guessing)?  Where are you going to store the AC and generator while under way?  Having a generator making a bunch of noise 5 feet from may impact your sleep as much as a little bit of heat.  I would look into some 12v fans, maybe some solar vents, etc.  You could always sleep in the cockpit if its really sticky down below.  Or just wait till the cooler months to overnight (what I do).  Unfortunately you don't have the forward hatch which greatly improves ventilation (especially at anchor).  

With my wife the biggest hurdle to overnighting on my C22 is the bathroom situation.  Besides the obvious, there isn't a good place to wash your face/put in contact lenses/etc.  

A couple other creature comforts that are more practical (in my mind at least) are a 12V cooler and a stereo.  My wife approves of both of those items.  

I realize this doesn't answer your question about a generator.  I tested my champion 3500 yesterday, and the thought of that thing vibrating on my sailboat gave me the willies :)

For reference:

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp150/mrbill24/cat_zpsc47cf0f9.jpg
View Quote

Actually it'll be mounted on the starboard side with the hot side into the compartment under the cockpit seat. Originally they had the batteries and engine stored there with half the seat lifting up to access it. I'm thinking I can mount the AC in that bulkhead and open the access to vent the heat.

As for the gen I was planning on making a set of brackets on the transom and hang the gen out over the water. Between the brackets and the gen I'll put some thick soft rubber to dampen the vibrations. When not in use I can just lift the gen up and store it in the compartment.

That's a beautiful boat you have.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#20]

We have an 11K BTU A/C in our camper.  The Eu2K will start it in eco mode easily if we have the fan running first, before we flip on the compressor.  It'll also run the thing (as it cycles on/off w/ fan running continuously) for at least 6-7 hours on a tank of fuel.

Maybe kill-a-watt's have been improved, but mine does not measure startup surge.  For that I have to use the fluke.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Actually it'll be mounted on the starboard side with the hot side into the compartment under the cockpit seat. Originally they had the batteries and engine stored there with half the seat lifting up to access it. I'm thinking I can mount the AC in that bulkhead and open the access to vent the heat.

As for the gen I was planning on making a set of brackets on the transom and hang the gen out over the water. Between the brackets and the gen I'll put some thick soft rubber to dampen the vibrations. When not in use I can just lift the gen up and store it in the compartment.

View Quote

That is a slick idea.  Never thought about that spot...please post pictures when you're finished.  I'm really interested to see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Go over to rv.net and do a search for hard start capacitors.

What's the water temp where your boat is?
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got a 5000 BTU unit in the RV, & ran it fine - and the electric fridge & every light bulb on the little Harbor Freight 800W.  Ran it 'til I'd emptied the tank, & that took several hours.  There's a great thread on the Harbor Freight on here.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That is a slick idea.  Never thought about that spot...please post pictures when you're finished.  I'm really interested to see how it turns out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yes I'll give you the low down on how it does. I've been looking for a newer boat but I may just keep the 23' for awhile. Needs some *alot* of deck work but it's doable.

I'm on a warm lake in Lower Alabama so water temps are in the 80's most of the time I think. Although with this crazy weather it's been cooler this year than normal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top