Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2013 2:40:10 PM EDT
Disclaimer:
For the sake of argument lets say this conversion was done outside the USA.
If one should want to do this conversion to a CARB can then you should know the Federal government laws and your State laws on CARB cans and modifying them.

If you are like me you hate the new CARB cans and wish you had a few of the old NON-CARB gas cans, Well you can if you want them and you don't mind paying a little extra money for the EZ pour kit. I also tried out some of the NON-CARB old metal NATO and Army gas cans and found I like the plastic cans best. YMMV
The gas cans I have pictured are available at Lowe's (Item #90258) and the EZ-Pour kit can be bought online or at Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware's, and many other large retailers. See the E Z Pour website below for all dealers.

http://ezpourspout.com/wp/

The EZ Pour kit I have is the standard, however they make a High Flo Kit that I think is better IMHO, check out their website.

Hope you enjoy my post.

Here's the Kit

Here's whats all in it.

Here's the gas can to get at Lowe's (Item #90258) in the next 3 pictures.

Figure out which lid you need that is threaded the same as your can.
The Yellow and the Black lid are threaded different.

Here's the area to drill the hole for the vent.

Drill a 1/2 inch hole in the center of this area of the can for the vent. Notice the flat molded area is where I drilled the hole.
Use a smaller drill bit and step up to a 1/2 inch hole to make the hole perfect round. Don't start out with a 1/2 inch bit.
Also a tire valve stem can be used for a vent, remove the core and just use the valve stem cap to seal up the can when not in use.
Use a smaller drill bit and work your way up to a 1/2 inch whole in order to make a perfect round hole.

Press in the vent, I used a little hot glue to make it seal better.

The vent is now snapped into place.

Here's the two converted gas cans that now pour gas as smooth as silk.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought an EX-Pour spout a few months back.  Be advised, some cans have proprietary threads that don't match either of the two supplied threaders.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I bought an EX-Pour spout a few months back.  Be advised, some cans have proprietary threads that don't match either of the two supplied threaders.

This is one of the exact reasons I suggest the gas can above.
The other is that the vent area (the flat spot molded in the handle area) is exactly where the vent needs to be.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Get em soon.. My guess is the EPA will shut down the production of these if people keep using them for gas instead of water like you are supposed to tell people.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have seen these spouts, now that i know what cans it will work on, i may have to go pick some up
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Get em soon.. My guess is the EPA will shut down the production of these if people keep using them for gas instead of water like you are supposed to tell people.

LIke I said in the beginning of my first post of this thread, This was done outside the USA.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
You can do the same thing for the vent with a valve stem.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes I mentioned this in my post, its written right above the 8th picture.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LIke I said in the beginning of my first post of this thread, This was done outside the USA.

yeah well i didnt read it, i just looked at the pretty pictures.

Good job, Mr Illegal Alien.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice, I really like the Blitz fuel cans.  Got a couple 5 gallon for gas and diesel, and a few 2.5 gallon ones for mix gas.  

I've been looking for a good solution for a vent for a while, seems this kit is the way to go.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 5:18:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Great job on the pictorial essay, Rockyriver. We need more stuff like this in here. Well done!
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 5:34:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice write-up.

I had not noticed before that they sell an adapter to use these spouts with USGI fuel cans. (Metal and plastic)
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 5:40:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Great job on the pictorial essay, Rockyriver. We need more stuff like this in here. Well done!

Umm yeah....
I wuz watchin' sum poster with an Intermational Scout .... he got as far as buyin' some more Scouts .... but I aint seen much since that
May be too busy tossing bean bags with bears.

OP Thanks for the purdy picturs.  You dun good.

I personally do not like this type of can because they leak.  The vents leak water if any sloshing happens in transport

Link Posted: 6/30/2013 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#13]
how about some of that fancy gasoline resistant caulking aroung the vent, PA?
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
how about some of that fancy gasoline resistant caulking aroung the vent, PA?

I like Permatex silicon; the high temp gold says gasoline resistant right on the label too.

My dislike for those snap cap vents is preban.  I learned to dislike those things when my camp water drained out of a jug and into the floor of my car.  The little snap cap popped open while riding in my car.

Link Posted: 6/30/2013 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#15]
A 1/2" paddle bit works better than a regular bit

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Great post. I have one of those cans that I've used for 5 years but its always used with the big funnel from tractor supply.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I found that the CARB cans with the "push to engage" spouts can be de-CARB'd.

Just rip out the spout internals and glue the two pieces together (I used Gorilla Glue).  The spout is "vented" and while it's not a true free-pour, it works pretty damn good.

But I've also got some of the EZ Pour kits for other cans.

FUEPA!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#18]
A sharp flat wood type drill bit cuts cleaner and smoother holes IME.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#19]
After seeing this I sort of priced out roughly:

$16.77 + tax at wally world for the can

$10.95 for the spout and vent kit + shipping

--------

$27.72

Valpro Jerry can at Atlantic British:

$39.99 + shipping

For roughly $12.27 more plus shipping (even less if you catch them on sale) you can buy something you don't have to retrofit and if properly cared for you can pass on to your kids.  Not critiquing this post or being a wise ass, just offering food for thought.  If you have a bunch of these type cans sitting around may be a good option, but I wouldn't buy those new.

Link Posted: 6/30/2013 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

--------
$27.72

$39.99 + shipping

For roughly $12.27 more plus shipping (even less if you catch them on sale) you can buy something you don't have to retrofit and if properly cared for you can pass on to your kids.  Not critiquing this post or being a wise ass, just offering food for thought.  If you have a bunch of these type cans sitting around may be a good option, but I wouldn't buy those new.

You forgot to add the $16.95 or $17.95 for the spout on the Valpro jerry cans.
I have plastic cans that are over 15 years old that I properly cared for that are still
in great shape. How do you wear out a gas can? Unless you abuse it and leave it out in the
sun or smash it. I think the metal cans are great, however their not the end all best thing going. IMHO

Link Posted: 6/30/2013 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading is for idiots...  

ETA:  I've done similar mods to my gas cans that are the same as these.  They are starting to crack at the seams near the top handle.  I'm not sure if it's due to drilling the hole for the vent or if it's a manufacturing flaw.  It's only occurred with the two cans that I put the vents in.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2013 4:31:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading is for idiots...  

ETA:  I've done similar mods to my gas cans that are the same as these.  They are starting to crack at the seams near the top handle.  I'm not sure if it's due to drilling the hole for the vent or if it's a manufacturing flaw.  It's only occurred with the two cans that I put the vents in.  

I guess time will tell on these cans that are modded.
Also I do not store gas in my cans anymore, I store it in a large tank. My cans are merely for transportaion.
I have noticed in the past that if I stored gas in the plastic conntainers and the pressure expanded
them it would look like the plastic cans could split at the seems if left like that for long periods.

Link Posted: 7/1/2013 5:05:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm yeah....
I wuz watchin' sum poster with an Intermational Scout .... he got as far as buyin' some more Scouts .... but I aint seen much since that

I personally do not like this type of can because they leak.  The vents leak water if any sloshing happens in transport

Yeah, I be slackin'! I've been interviewing for a new job. I've sprained my knee (don't ask), and haven't felt like crawling around dirty old scouts this past few weeks.

As far as the gas cans go, I guess I've been slacking there as well. The plastic kind that the OP has so kindly posted about are the only kind I have. I dont have any metal types, but I suppose I should prioritize the acquisition of a few. FWIW, I've got a few of the carb-type cans. I bought eight of them when someone at work was losing their house for non-payment. They had a full tank of heating oil, and they gave it to me. All I did was to take an awl, and poke a hole into the exact-same spot as the OP. It was an interim fix, but it did allow the cans to pour much better. Since then, I have used a large sheetmetal screw to plug the holes with. It only takes a second to quickly remove them for use.

Link Posted: 7/1/2013 7:30:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm yeah....

Yeah, I be slackin'! I've been interviewing for a new job. I've sprained my knee (don't ask), and haven't felt like crawling around dirty old scouts this past few weeks.

As far as the gas cans go, I guess I've been slacking there as well. The plastic kind that the OP has so kindly posted about are the only kind I have. I dont have any metal types, but I suppose I should prioritize the acquisition of a few. FWIW, I've got a few of the carb-type cans. I bought eight of them when someone at work was losing their house for non-payment. They had a full tank of heating oil, and they gave it to me. All I did was to take an awl, and poke a hole into the exact-same spot as the OP. It was an interim fix, but it did allow the cans to pour much better. Since then, I have used a large sheetmetal screw to plug the holes with. It only takes a second to quickly remove them for use.

Just do the tire valve stem trick.
Drill out the can to the right circumference as needed for the valve stem, then insert and remove the valve core.
Place the valve stem cap on when not pouring and remove the valve stem cap when pouring.

Link Posted: 7/1/2013 7:39:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading is for idiots...  

I guess time will tell on these cans that are modded.
Also I do not store gas in my cans anymore, I store it in a large tank. My cans are merely for transportaion.
I have noticed in the past that if I stored gas in the plastic conntainers and the pressure expanded
them it would look like the plastic cans could split at the seems if left like that for long periods.

Yeah, it's probably my fault that they are starting to crack.  I have the bad habit of leaving gas in the can for long periods of time without venting them.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2013 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

--------

$27.72

$39.99 + shipping

You forgot to add the $16.95 or $17.95 for the spout on the Valpro jerry cans.

I have plastic cans that are over 15 years old that I properly cared for that are still

in great shape. How do you wear out a gas can? Unless you abuse it and leave it out in the

sun or smash it. I think the metal cans are great, however their not the end all best thing going. IMHO

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/Rockyriver1234/Farming/4648EBBA-6C93-49F1-A808-7F78BC113631-4890-00000900DF129CC4_zps4f6f2d43.jpg

Leave it in the Colorado sun for a couple of years.  Also take a look at some of the Scepter cans coming back from Iraq, total plastics breakdown, it crumbles in your hand.  And if you store your fuel outdoors (which is safer,) it's something to consider.

Again, different strokes...

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Just used this ez-pour kit to refit same type can. Threads are correct; leaks big time. I do not recommend.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just used this ez-pour kit to refit same type can. Threads are correct; leaks big time. I do not recommend.

Interesting. Can you post a picture of your can?
Can you show some photos and maybe we can figure out your problem?

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The other is that the vent area (the flat spot molded in the handle area) is exactly where the vent needs to be.

You can also sometimes use the nut that comes with the can and just substitute the spout part.   I did that with one of the metal midwest cans sold by harbor freight, coupled with a tire valve vent.  Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 3:13:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 5:20:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get the Blitz cans while you can.

Unless Blitz got a reprieve, I thought they were out of business.
(Sued out of business)
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 5:52:51 AM EDT
[#32]
`I did this to two cans last week. the spout is gtg.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd like to just have the little yellow thingy that goes on the back of the can. I saw the retro package yesterday at my local Atwoods for $9.99.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#34]
If anybody want real High Quality Gas cans i can help you out.

I Have access to The Spcepter cans from Canada I live very close and can buy them there and if someone wanted cans i would be wlling to help out as time permits.  There a damn good strong thick plastic can that last a long damn time.

Pm me if anybody wants some.

Jaime
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I Have access to The Spcepter cans from Canada I live very close and can buy them there and if someone wanted cans i would be wlling to help out as time permits.  There a damn good strong thick plastic can that last a long damn time.

Jaime
how much do the cans go for up north??

Link Posted: 7/9/2013 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Jaime

Does customs give you trouble bringing them to the states?

I go to Canada regularly, and never thought of this.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:55:41 AM EDT
[#37]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

figured it out; the base of the spout was out of round and causing the gasket to foul as you tighten the collar. I shaved off a bit of material and now its good to go.

ETA: Nope, still leaks. Fit is shit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I would not pay full price for the plastic cans with the new epa junk.

I will still buy them when they clearance them out at the end of season.  Gas cans get clearanced in the fall and kerosene cans get clearanced out in the spring.

Paying 5 bucks for a 5 gallon can that is sturdy plastic seems fine to me.  I have a bunch I have not even touched, just tossed in the shed.  Even if I just use them for flushing toilets or something they can be used instead of buckets for moving water and what not.

But I generally give one or two away each year and while I will keep my modded cans the 5 dollar ones are fine to give away to deserving family or friends who break a can or whatever.

For the initial purchase, I recomend the new cans from atlantic or the really good surplus cans.  Spend the money on new metal and new liners and gaskets and take care of it.

But for mower gas or to loan to a neighbors for their generator or whatever, I don't care a bit about giving them the cheap plastic cans I got on clearance for 5 bucks.

Oh, I don't buy the spouts.  I have pulled one of the levers apart on an epa spout and it removes the safety lever for letting fuel out.  Saw that in one of the youtube vids on modifying gas cans.

I have a bunch of valve stems I bought and will be installing as vents soon on the cans as well.

Most of my stuff can use a funnel to catch the fuel so I don't need a spout if I have a vented can that I can pour without sloshing and spilling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top