Site Notices
Page / 3
Basic
  • Joined Feb 2002
  • Posts 421
  • EE 100% (1)
USA GA, USA
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 9:58:55 AM EST
M35A2 will run on "straight gasoline" so long as you follow the 12-Gallon Gasoline/1-Quart Motor Oil ratio when filling the tank. That's right, for every 12 gallons of gasoline pour in one quart of motor oil!

I wish all the ladies, were holes in the road...
Bronze
  • Joined Aug 2009
  • Posts 25475
  • EE 0% (0)
IRN IRN
Military
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:51:20 AM EST
Yup, when my cousin bought a Duece, it came with the TM and gave the ratio for running gas, with the purpose of oil being lubing the injector pump IIRC.

$4000 bucks private sale, priror to auction it had been depot serviced at Tooele and was a NG generals staff truck, so it never got used.

It was IMMACULATE.

I just wish he would have used the money to pay me instead since I was working for him at the time.
* Denotes Sarcasm, and or tongue in cheek humor. Do not take too seriously. Misunderstanding the use of sarcasm is a leading cause of "internet tough guy syndrome". Other side effects include; confused replies, butt hurt feelings, and anal
Basic
  • Joined Feb 2013
  • Posts 560
  • EE 100% (4)
AFG AFG
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 8:53:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/25/2013 8:54:52 PM EST by LittleRock]
neither
I had a deuce and got rid of it after 3 years
it tequires a lot of work and maintenance
you will have to drop lot of money into it

just get an old diesel Ford 350 or Chevy 3500
it will be less trouble, better off road, not as loud and you can go faster than 55 mph

Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.
Gold
  • Joined May 2009
  • Posts 1266
  • EE 100% (1)
USA TN, USA
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 9:16:19 PM EST
I've decided I'm going with the M925A1. It was rebuilt a few years ago & all parts & systems are working. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve!

Thanks for all the help guys! I joined steelsoldiers.com. I've been spending a lot of time over there. The truck is about 250 miles away, so I have a nice roadtrip. Since I farm, I have to wait til it rains again & I get a day off to get it. Can't come soon enough.
“Never stand and take a charge... charge them too.” Nathan Bedford Forrest
Bronze
  • Joined Aug 2009
  • Posts 25517
  • EE 0% (0)
IRN IRN
Military
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 9:22:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By GRATIOFLASH:
I've decided I'm going with the M925A1. It was rebuilt a few years ago & all parts & systems are working. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve!

Thanks for all the help guys! I joined steelsoldiers.com. I've been spending a lot of time over there. The truck is about 250 miles away, so I have a nice roadtrip. Since I farm, I have to wait til it rains again & I get a day off to get it. Can't come soon enough.

Bring ear plugs.
* Denotes Sarcasm, and or tongue in cheek humor. Do not take too seriously. Misunderstanding the use of sarcasm is a leading cause of "internet tough guy syndrome". Other side effects include; confused replies, butt hurt feelings, and anal
why, oh why GOD WAS I BORN IN CALIFORNIA
Bronze
  • Joined Apr 2005
  • Posts 829
  • EE 100% (15)
USA CA, USA
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:06:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By Madcap72:

Bring ear plugs.
+1 on that

Freedom is not free. Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.
Bronze
  • Joined Sep 2010
  • Posts 6095
  • EE 100% (2)
USA PA, USA
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 1:03:32 AM EST

I have plans on getting a M35, except i would love it if I only had a 250 mile drive. Mines more like 500.

Stop whining, run for office & change it yourself!
Bronze
  • Joined Aug 2002
  • Posts 25433
  • EE 100% (49)
USA USA
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 10:08:34 AM EST

cool! whats the price if you dont mind
<div align=right>(© Gaspain 2002 - ∞)</div id=right>
Gold
  • Joined May 2009
  • Posts 1268
  • EE 100% (1)
USA TN, USA
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 12:12:26 PM EST
$10.5k for truck & trailer
Bronze
  • Joined Apr 2005
  • Posts 832
  • EE 100% (15)
USA CA, USA
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 4:25:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/26/2013 4:25:31 PM EST by czechsix]
See if you can get them to throw in any specialty tools - budd wrenches, the gladhand air adaptors and hose, nato and adaptor jumper cables, torque multiplier, etc etc. All of that crap adds up pretty fast.

You'll enjoy the truck plenty.

Hope you have at least 1" air impacts, and enough compressor to run it!
Curmudgeon
Bronze
  • Joined Dec 2001
  • Posts 7631
  • EE 100% (8)
USA LA, USA
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 5:07:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By czechsix:
See if you can get them to throw in any specialty tools - budd wrenches, the gladhand air adaptors and hose, nato and adaptor jumper cables, torque multiplier, etc etc. All of that crap adds up pretty fast.

You'll enjoy the truck plenty.

Hope you have at least 1" air impacts, and enough compressor to run it!

That, and an air wrench with enough ass behind it. My cheap Kobalt couldn't keep up.

LC
"I want to hear the leeches scream before I die." - stolen from someone on Subguns.com.
Bronze
  • Joined Feb 2008
  • Posts 10903
  • EE 0% (0)
USA NM, USA
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 7:06:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/26/2013 7:11:14 PM EST by hobbsar]
Wedge brakes suck.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Crack+up+in+reverse!-a0213957944

And the above references my earlier comment about reverse in low range.
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional.
Basic
  • Joined Jul 2005
  • Posts 11
  • EE 0% (0)
USA TX, USA
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:52:33 AM EST
We sold a '53 deuce (gas multifuel) with no bed. Buyer wanted it for a snowplow, drove it from S.A., TX to somewhere in Wisconsin. Would not have made that trip if you paid me a year's salary! A bed-less deuce (at least that one) liked to start hopping from side to side around 45 mph.

We have another '53 chassis we'd like to sell, moved the firebody (brush truck) over to a '73.

The one nice thing about the '53s was the auto tranny. Shifting and steering around a brush fire can wear a guy out.

bill

Gold
  • Joined May 2009
  • Posts 1271
  • EE 100% (1)
USA TN, USA
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:02:20 PM EST

Bring ear plugs.
+1 on that

Is it really that loud? I plan on driving up Sunday to get it.
Bronze
  • Joined Aug 2009
  • Posts 25592
  • EE 0% (0)
IRN IRN
Military
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:07:34 PM EST

Bring ear plugs.
+1 on that

Yes. Better to have and not need.

I only say plugs, because muffs would be very obvious, and a lot of states frown on driving with headphones or earmuffs on.

A comfy pair of electric ear pro would be nice.
Bronze
  • Joined Aug 2009
  • Posts 25593
  • EE 0% (0)
IRN IRN
Military
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:09:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/29/2013 3:10:12 PM EST by Madcap72]
Turn your speakers way up, and hold them to your ear while playing this video.

Rode Shotgun from longview to redmond in an M-35 that my cousin picked up with no earpro.

It was not the WORST thing in the world, but is was fucking LOUD.

Basic
  • Joined Jul 2009
  • Posts 4301
  • EE 0% (0)
USA TX, USA
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:10:37 PM EST

Bring ear plugs.
+1 on that

YES!

Rated D for damage
Bronze
  • Joined Dec 2005
  • Posts 1359
  • EE 100% (15)
USA USA
Military
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:48:12 PM EST

Rode Shotgun from longview to redmond in an M-35 that my cousin picked up with no earpro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q7x6fpGvn0

Embedded for ya

Bronze
  • Joined Aug 2009
  • Posts 25594
  • EE 0% (0)
IRN IRN
Military
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:01:41 PM EST
Embed fail, I am no use as a man!

Thanks bud!
Bronze
  • Joined Sep 2010
  • Posts 6107
  • EE 100% (2)
USA PA, USA
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:30:24 PM EST

This far...And no farther.
Platinum
  • Joined Nov 2008
  • Posts 17360
  • EE 100% (44)
USA NE, USA
NRAMilitary
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 5:03:05 PM EST
About 3 yrs ago I bought a 68 m35a2. Me and another guy drove it back from Keyser WV in two days. It was loud as fuck. We'd take turns about every 3 hrs or so. It was nice to get out of it and climb into my pickup. It was 1187 miles. We got about 12 mpg on the trip back. I sold that one and bought a 93 A3 and drove it back from the middle of Michigan. Somewhere around 800 miles. It was a much better drive home and still got about 12 mpg.

Now I'd like to trade the deuce off for a 5 ton. I haul water to cows with it and the 5t would handle the load better.
Alea iacta est
Bronze
  • Joined Apr 2005
  • Posts 844
  • EE 100% (15)
USA CA, USA
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:38:32 PM EST

Bring ear plugs.
+1 on that

Yeah, they're really that loud. M35A2 and my Unimog S are right in there together...after an hour you can shut them down, get out, and my ears are literally ringing. Ear pro FTW. Agreed with using plugs instead of muffs, even though most troopers completely ignore you. There's always that one guy........
Bronze
  • Joined Aug 2002
  • Posts 25438
  • EE 100% (49)
USA USA
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:59:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/29/2013 8:02:16 PM EST by gaspain]
I put 250 square feet of butyl rubber (Fatmat) on the entire interior of the cab and under the hood. I dont need ear plugs, its quiet. Was $600 but worth it.
Curmudgeon
Bronze
  • Joined Dec 2001
  • Posts 7653
  • EE 100% (8)
USA LA, USA
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 4:30:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By wookie1562:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q7x6fpGvn0

Embedded for ya

http://youtu.be/-Q7x6fpGvn0

Must be running larger tires on that Deuce than the stock 9.00 x 20's.

LC
"I want to hear the leeches scream before I die." - stolen from someone on Subguns.com.
Bronze
  • Joined Apr 2005
  • Posts 845
  • EE 100% (15)
USA CA, USA
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 8:07:00 AM EST
Yep.

Not a good speed to be at in a deuce.
Bronze
  • Joined Aug 2009
  • Posts 25626
  • EE 0% (0)
IRN IRN
Military
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 9:35:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By LongueCarabine:

snp

LC
IIRC it says so in the video info, which is why they used the GPS for speed.

1st Minnesota
Gold
  • Joined Dec 2007
  • Posts 244
  • EE 100% (18)
USA MN, USA
NRAMilitary
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 10:41:07 AM EST
My M109A3 pulling against over the road trucks. 130 hp vs 400 to 550 hp. I pulled 234'.

Duece in a truck pull
The Second Amendment IS My Carry Permit

-——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶
Platinum
  • Joined Nov 2008
  • Posts 17383
  • EE 100% (44)
USA NE, USA
NRAMilitary
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 10:45:10 AM EST

snp

LC
IIRC it says so in the video info, which is why they used the GPS for speed.

My 68 would do about 58, which was kinda scary and fucking ridiculously loud. The 93 only does about 52, but it's a comfortable 52.
Alea iacta est
Bronze
  • Joined Aug 2002
  • Posts 25440
  • EE 100% (49)
USA USA
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 10:49:01 AM EST
my bobber will max out at 65, but its no fun. 55 is comfy and will get 10-12mpg.
Bronze
  • Joined Aug 2009
  • Posts 25632
  • EE 0% (0)
IRN IRN
Military
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 10:54:35 AM EST
The one my cousin picked up drove like a giant car and purred along at 65 like it was NBD.
Curmudgeon
Bronze
  • Joined Dec 2001
  • Posts 7655
  • EE 100% (8)
USA LA, USA
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:17:17 PM EST
I've gotten 52 mph out of mine, and could have gotten more, but I really don't want to run it anywhere near the red line.

My Deuce is very comfortable at 48 to 50.

LC

Gold
  • Joined May 2009
  • Posts 1274
  • EE 100% (1)
USA TN, USA
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 6:26:32 AM EST
I picked up my M925A1 about 45 mins west of ST Louis yesterday. The trip back was about 250 miles. Not bad at all. I didn't wear any earpro, & I had a little ringing going on when I finally got home. Any of you familiar with I55 south of ST Louis, know that that's rolling terrain. On the downside of hills my truck would get up to 75-80. On the upside, 60-55, depending on the grade. I love the truck, & I believe I'm hooked! The guy I bought it from also had a Humvee in mint condition! I know the rules, I'll post pics when I get a chance.
Bronze
  • Joined May 2009
  • Posts 115
  • EE 100% (1)
USA USA
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 6:35:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By buck19delta:
i thought you only had to have a cdl license, if you were a commercial driver?? if its your personal truck you dont. do all farmers with semi's have to have cdl licenses?

even after looking at this thread on it, im still not sure.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_35/498226_Is_a_CDL_needed_for_5_ton_6x6_truck_.html

If the vehicle meets requirements for whatever class of CDL it falls under you need that CDL, commercial use or not. Farmers have an exemption if they are using it for local or intrastate use.

Basic
  • Joined Aug 2008
  • Posts 2218
  • EE 0% (0)
USA NC, USA
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 2:33:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By Gentry85:

Originally Posted By buck19delta:
i thought you only had to have a cdl license, if you were a commercial driver?? if its your personal truck you dont. do all farmers with semi's have to have cdl licenses?

even after looking at this thread on it, im still not sure.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_35/498226_Is_a_CDL_needed_for_5_ton_6x6_truck_.html

If the vehicle meets requirements for whatever class of CDL it falls under you need that CDL, commercial use or not. Farmers have an exemption if they are using it for local or intrastate use.

In NC they have two different types of driver license the class A,B,C, CDL and the class A,B,C Classified. You can have a tractor trailer and drive it on a Classified A license as long as you don't leave the state and are not for hire

Bronze
  • Joined Sep 2010
  • Posts 6146
  • EE 100% (2)
USA PA, USA
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 3:17:27 PM EST
Everytime one of these 2.5 ton threads come up, I start looking for one and hope my wife doesnt notice it in the yard. Cant hide in the safe.

Platinum
  • Joined Nov 2008
  • Posts 17431
  • EE 100% (44)
USA NE, USA
NRAMilitary
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 5:57:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
Everytime one of these 2.5 ton threads come up, I start looking for one and hope my wife doesnt notice it in the yard. Cant hide in the safe.

They are camoflauged. She'll never notice unless she trips over it. If that happens, tell her it was a wedding gift.
Alea iacta est
IP
  • Joined Mar 2006
  • Posts 27481
  • EE 100% (168)
USA TX, USA
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 5:59:38 PM EST
God Bless Our Troops ... Especially Our Snipers.

Makers of all things LaRue - the Stealth Uppers, the OBR in 5.56 and 7.62, the PredatAR in both 5.56 and 7.62, the best QD mounts known to mankind ... and so on.
Gold
  • Joined May 2009
  • Posts 1283
  • EE 100% (1)
USA TN, USA
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 8:21:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/9/2013 8:26:09 PM EST by GRATIOFLASH]
</a>" />

My M925A1. I love it! Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic. It was manufactured in Sept 86, so it's only a couple of months younger than me, but it was rebuilt in 08, and it's immaculate. Runs great, rides great, and it has new tires. Now I just need to add an MG mount
Bronze
  • Joined Aug 2002
  • Posts 25449
  • EE 100% (49)
USA USA
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 9:06:40 PM EST
looks great!
Bronze
  • Joined Mar 2008
  • Posts 1434
  • EE 100% (45)
USA TX, USA
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 6:59:02 AM EST
With all of the people warning about the safety at highway speed, specialized tools needed, noise..., why not just buy a used F-450 or Dodge 4500 4x4? The cost would be the same or less than a running and driving A3 and be alot easier to live with with almost all of the same capabilities.

Bronze
  • Joined Aug 2002
  • Posts 25452
  • EE 100% (49)
USA USA
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:57:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By brazos609:
With all of the people warning about the safety at highway speed, specialized tools needed, noise..., why not just buy a used F-450 or Dodge 4500 4x4? The cost would be the same or less than a running and driving A3 and be alot easier to live with with almost all of the same capabilities.

its not about easy
Hardy har har, we'll stuff in you in the FEMA car!
Bronze
  • Joined Aug 2009
  • Posts 26163
  • EE 0% (0)
IRN IRN
Military
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:25:27 AM EST

Even just a quick check shows that good shape a3's can be had around 10k, and 450's around 30K.

A 20K difference leaves a LOT of cash on the table to make a bomb ass M35.
Hardy har har, we'll stuff in you in the FEMA car!
Bronze
  • Joined Sep 2010
  • Posts 6232
  • EE 100% (2)
USA PA, USA
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 10:30:25 AM EST

Its exactly like the Jeep thing. You dont understand.

Platinum
  • Joined Nov 2008
  • Posts 17662
  • EE 100% (44)
USA NE, USA
NRAMilitary
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 3:05:54 PM EST

And it can't be explained.
Alea iacta est
Curmudgeon
Bronze
  • Joined Dec 2001
  • Posts 7734
  • EE 100% (8)
USA LA, USA
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 5:01:02 AM EST
Originally Posted By stutzcattle:

And it can't be explained.

Not only that, but the Deuce is very useful. If you've got a winch and a good set of chains, you can clear land with the damn things. I can haul plenty of firewood in it, use it to get to my hunting land, haul manure for my garden, the list is nearly endless.

All for a cost of $2500, plus a small monthly insurance premium. The cool factor is secondary.

LC
Basic
  • Joined Dec 2005
  • Posts 3745
  • EE 100% (1)
USA VA, USA
Link Posted: 6/15/2013 2:24:25 AM EST
All for a cost of $2500, plus a small monthly insurance premium.

In gas roundtrip to the gas station?

Seriously cool vehicles

Curmudgeon
Bronze
  • Joined Dec 2001
  • Posts 7785
  • EE 100% (8)
USA LA, USA
Link Posted: 6/15/2013 6:50:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By GlockSlap:

Seriously cool vehicles

LOL. Deuces get about 8-10mpg on diesel, not sure about any other fuel. It's not great mileage, but considering it's a 6.5 ton truck, not too shabby.

And after an initial investment in filtering equipment, fuel cost can be reduced to 1/2 or even 1/4 the cost of diesel.

LC
Bronze
  • Joined Feb 2005
  • Posts 8202
  • EE 100% (14)
USA AZ, USA
Link Posted: 6/15/2013 7:42:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By GlockSlap:

Seriously cool vehicles

LOL. Deuces get about 8-10mpg on diesel, not sure about any other fuel. It's not great mileage, but considering it's a 6.5 ton truck, not too shabby.

And after an initial investment in filtering equipment, fuel cost can be reduced to 1/2 or even 1/4 the cost of diesel.

LC

That is outstanding mileage considering how big it is. My 1974 F350 gets 8 MPG.
So you are saying God hates these endangered ducks?

No, I am just saying that if God liked ducks they wouldn't be endangered.
Si vis pacem para bellum
Bronze
  • Joined Mar 2006
  • Posts 4037
  • EE 0% (0)
USA TN, USA
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 2:34:21 AM EST
http://<a href=http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww184/lpaschall04/da7a1517-2d96-4d13-9a09-173cb82f47a1_zps8be9ecfa.jpg</a>" />

My M925A1. I love it! Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic. It was manufactured in Sept 86, so it's only a couple of months younger than me, but it was rebuilt in 08, and it's immaculate. Runs great, rides great, and it has new tires. Now I just need to add an MG mount

My wife saw it and said no before i could even open my mouth.
Unless you are swimming or on fire, there is no such thing as too much ammo!
Curmudgeon
Bronze
  • Joined Dec 2001
  • Posts 7787
  • EE 100% (8)
USA LA, USA
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 3:11:03 AM EST
Yesterday my brother, my best friend and I were headed out to our old shooting spot to get in a little trigger time. It's an old abandoned gravel quarry about 15 miles from home. Used to be open land, but was locked up about 10 years ago by the landowner. Well, my friend knows him and he lets us go on it every once in a while.

This is in Central Louisiana, in the middle of nowhere. The nearest Interstate is 30 miles away.

So we stop at this convenience store and there are about a half dozen heavy military trucks, along with 3 or 4 Humvees, fueling up. Turns out they were Marines. Talked to one of them and they were headed to Ft. Polk.

The trucks were like the ones pictured below. 7 ton FMTVs. They make even a 5 ton truck look small. The tires on these things appeared to be nearly 4 feet tall.

LC

Page / 3