Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2013 9:14:04 PM EDT
On discovery right now.

Guy tries 60-days on an island with no clothes/supplies.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#1]

fucking nuts...

If there was a smoking hot chick on the show, well then...

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

fucking nuts...

I definitely don't want to see those!

I'd would have watched the show but naked?  Really; he had to do it naked?

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Les Stroud and Cody Lundin are worth watching.

I doubt this joker is.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 12:44:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Couldn't they at least given him a pair of swim trunks?
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 1:54:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Great Show. All the other TV survivalists have been one upped by a large margin. He has completed the 60 days so i dont know if the show is over or what.

He should have killed a goat sooner in the 60 days IMO.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 4:03:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Sunburn?
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 4:25:29 AM EDT
[#7]
It's ok cause he is there my himself and does all of the filming.
I hate survival shows that has a film crew with them like Dual Survival and pee drinking bear grylls. I heard that they caught Grylls sleeping in a hotel room while filming one of his shows.
The real survival men are people that go out and do everything by them-self with no film crew like  Les Stroud and this man on Naked castaway.
Good luck to them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 4:28:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

fucking nuts...

I definitely don't want to see those!

I'd would have watched the show but naked?  Really; he had to do it naked?

He has made him a grass skirt
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 5:26:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I watched the whole series.  This guy is no joke.  He walked the entire length of the Amazon river....
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#10]
How did he lose that tooth?  Did i miss something?
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#12]
i missed this one.   i will have to search for it and watch it.

just watched a quick "blurb" of the show.    that was a big crab he ate.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I was reluctant to watch this series as I thought the whole “naked” think was pretty stupid; it’s really just to grab your attention (which it does).  Despite the naked aspect, it’s a good show.  The guy has some solid credentials and his Amazon trek is pretty amazing.  I know he passed his mental evaluation, but the guy is a goofy bastard.

I’ve only seen the first two episodes, but so far, it’s pretty solid.  It really reinforces why you should always consider wearing/having appropriate clothes, a solid knife and at least a lighter!  What I couldn’t understand is that it’s up to 30 days and he’s never done any type of fishing or even scouted the reef.  I’m sure it has more to do with safety, but I wish they would have at least gone beyond that to explain it.  

Water and calorie intake are pretty eye-opening and although most already realize the importance, it is pretty significant which the show demonstrates.

Many have already “failed” him as he needed to bust into his medical kit for antibiotics after severe stomach sickness.  I’m not concerned as it’s a show and it does require some fail-safes; he at least said he wanted to avoid it and admitted to breaking into the kit for antibiotics.

Not having a cutting tool is quite evident.  Not being able to make a fire for the first 10 days or so is very disturbing.  Sure, not all environments need it, but it provides more than just a morale boost.  Having fire earlier could have helped prevent getting his stomach bug and very serious dysentery and vomiting, both of which are serious life-threatening situations.

I do find this show refreshing only from the more realistic standpoint of decision making.  This guy was very methodical and didn’t take any significant risks.  I thought it was pretty good that he had to come up with and stick to a daily work schedule.  

It’s a pretty entertaining show and another good reminder of why you make at least minimal preparations and how a few basic essentials carried on your body (including clothes) can make a significant difference.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I watched the whole series.  This guy is no joke.  He walked the entire length of the Amazon river....

Yeah. That guy is the truth for sure.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#16]
They naked part turned me off.  If it was a hot chic I would watch.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I watched a episode or two of that yesterday, I found it pretty amusing, not the naked part though you fucking homos
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Is there anywere to watch it free i dont have cable?
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Caught a few minutes of it last night, didn't seem too over the top.
Would watch a few episodes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I was going to till I found out that it meant literally naked.
I'm good with Les and Cody, and yes sometimes even ole Bear.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I watched all three hour long episodes yesterday, Mrs. Kubota saw parts as she walked through. It was pretty good, I was surfing the internet as I watched.

The whole fire thing is very important, 10 days or so to get a fire, that is hard. I live on the wet side of WA, January when it is cold and wet starting a fire with tools and fuels can be a PITA, it is hard to find dry wood in areas at that time of year. Then once he got a fire going, it took a lot of effort to keep the fire going, gathering wood.

Also how important a knife is!!!! Life would have been much easier for him.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I was extremely disappointed by this series, perhaps I misjudged the storyline?

Every advancement he made to better his situation (other than fire) came by way of scavenging modern materials, which swayed the story from 'man with nothing survival' to almost 'Naked Dual Survival'.

The Goat capture was suspicious to say the least. And a metal prop drive and spoon washing up on a island 180 miles from anything is just BS.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

fucking nuts...

hawtness TBD >>http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked-and-afraid

Link Posted: 4/30/2013 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I caught episodes 2 and 3 and have since DVR'd episode 1. I will echo the fact this guy is no joke.  

I LOVE the fact this guy goes in with nothing.  That alone puts it near or at the top of the list.  Love Les and Cody, much respect for their skills, but this guy is going hard core with a capitol 'H'.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Having finished watching the final episode in the 3 part series, I'd give Naked Castaway a B+. Far more entertaining than most of the drek on TV these days, I was entertained and the show itself did a decent job in portraying the experience of surviving on an island. Although the footage seemed edited more for drama than documentation. The focus for virtually two entire episodes was water and food. Obviously extremely important to survival, and I would disagree with tackling the lean-to before resolving the water situation. The series became most interesting once he was starting to move past basic survival and moving forward with "living" on the island. I would have been interested to see more use of the raft for fishing.

One big takeaway was how much better off he would have been with a knife, a firestarter and a machete. Less than $50 worth of equipment would have drastically improved his situation. In my opinion, with two major medical interventions, the premise of the show wasn't proved to be true. Without outside support in a true survival situation I'm skeptical he would have made it.  

Also agree with the previous poster who pointed out many of his improvements came via scavenging modern materials.  While certainly a good survival tactic, it seemed to subtract from what the series intially promised, namely a man without any modern gear going it alone for 60 days.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I think he's got his priorities all screwed up.  Granted, I've only seen the first two episodes but he's 24 days in and he still hasn't gotten around to hunting for food... because he WANTS a bigger shelter??  WTF??

So, he wastes time making a grass skirt and a thatched hut while he's starving to death but the genius can't think about using some cordage to make some snare traps or try to catch a goat?

He also looks like he's being fed, if you ask me.  At roughly 600 calories a day (if that?) after 24 days he would have looked a lot more skinny and ragged than he did.  My guess is that they're leaving him 1200-1500 calorie MREs... just enough to keep him hungry but not so much that he'll lose massive muscle and weight (and viewers!) living on the tadpoles and coconuts he's eating.  Around day 15 his teeth looked suspiciously whiter than even in the beginning of the show.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2013 6:56:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I think he's got his priorities all screwed up.  Granted, I've only seen the first two episodes but he's 24 days in and he still hasn't gotten around to hunting for food... because he WANTS a bigger shelter??  WTF??

So, he wastes time making a grass skirt and a thatched hut while he's starving to death but the genius can't think about using some cordage to make some snare traps or try to catch a goat?

He also looks like he's being fed, if you ask me.  At roughly 600 calories a day (if that?) after 24 days he would have looked a lot more skinny and ragged than he did.  My guess is that they're leaving him 1200-1500 calorie MREs... just enough to keep him hungry but not so much that he'll lose massive muscle and weight (and viewers!) living on the tadpoles and coconuts he's eating.  Around day 15 his teeth looked suspiciously whiter than even in the beginning of the show.  

The teeth could be lack of coffee or smoking.

Link Posted: 5/7/2013 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I really liked it. Kind of a new spin on the old survival genre.
The guy is legit with military and true life adventure experience. Of course so does Bear Grylls but he used his powers for evil so to speak.
As far as him using modern materials, he used what he found. Beaches are notorious for their litter.
Maybe he'll do another one like, "Naked Castaway: Canadian Rockies" or "Naked Castaway: Canyonlands." Those would be much harder to become sustainable like he did. Even when Les did the tropic island for Survivorman, he remarked how relatively easy it was to survive there.

Link Posted: 5/7/2013 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Every advancement he made to better his situation (other than fire) came by way of scavenging modern materials, which swayed the story from 'man with nothing survival' to almost 'Naked Dual Survival'.

The Goat capture was suspicious to say the least. And a metal prop drive and spoon washing up on a island 180 miles from anything is just BS.

Don't spoil it for the Sheeple who like watching nakid men.

Link Posted: 5/7/2013 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

He is too emotional for me. I watched a few of them, but his emotional outbursts are annoying.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I agree. The modern trash usage ruined the whole premise of surviving starting with nothing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Tough crowd in here.

Of course he's going to use, adapt, and improvise whatever he can find while he's on the island.

Link Posted: 5/7/2013 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Tough crowd in here.

Of course he's going to use, adapt, and improvise whatever he can find while he's on the island.

I was thinking the same thing.
I mean, he started out with nothing, not even clothes.

But apparently that was not enough.

Like it or not, trash is part of our environment.
I don't know if anything was strategically placed for him or not, (I did not see the part about the prop)
but the ocean is a full or crap floating around, tossed off ships.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#34]
It was a privately owned island.  I thought he had said something about it being visited, albeit very infrequently.  It would stand to reason that crap would get left behind.  I would also assume that was how the goats got there.  I don't know why this guy should get dismissed because he made use of the resources around him.  I recall Lundin and Stroud doing the same.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Goats, chickens, and pigs were left on the islands at random to help resupply ships, all the way back to the 1600s.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It was a privately owned island.  I thought he had said something about it being visited, albeit very infrequently.  It would stand to reason that crap would get left behind.  I would also assume that was how the goats got there.  I don't know why this guy should get dismissed because he made use of the resources around him.  I recall Lundin and Stroud doing the same.

Oh those two will use anything they find.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tough crowd in here.

I was thinking the same thing.
I mean, he started out with nothing, not even clothes.

But apparently that was not enough.

Like it or not, trash is part of our environment.
I don't know if anything was strategically placed for him or not, (I did not see the part about the prop)

This... Show was far better than most stuff on the air...  I was surprised he didn't find more "junk" on the beach.  

Imagine how much easier a good set of cloths, knife, and ferro rod would have made his situation...

I guess we can all gather from this is never leave home without at least minimal gear... And if flying at least have a small ferro rod  and good cloths on your person?

I guess it just shows how important a couple common since items are.  I liked the show.  I consider it an afternoon well spent

ETA/ I was surprised he didn't try to make fire with one or two of the water bottles and water??  I thought that was similar to a Fresnel lenses?

I would think in the Caribbean I could find something to magnify the sun into fire over the stretch of 10+days?

Didn't seem to be any shortage of sun it that AO

Guess I will have to try now
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#38]
This seems a little ridiculous.  I'm all about minimalist survival shoes, but in what scenario are you going to get caught in the wild butt naked?  Haven't watched the show, but seems like a shock ploy to get ratings.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 1:41:03 AM EDT
[#39]
I watched this.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 1:48:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I watched this.

Clothing would have been better, liked it anyway, need to finish watching.

Link Posted: 5/8/2013 3:05:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I think the boat propeller was ditched after it was changed on shore.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This seems a little ridiculous.  I'm all about minimalist survival shoes, but in what scenario are you going to get caught in the wild butt naked?  Haven't watched the show, but seems like a shock ploy to get ratings.

So you are butt naked banging the female maid on a Carnival Cruise ship. The ship suddenly gets hit by a soviet sub and sinks.

You find yourself swimming in the ocean butt naked and everybody else is lost a sea. You swim to the island.

Could hapoen
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Having finished watching the final episode in the 3 part series, I'd give Naked Castaway a B+. Far more entertaining than most of the drek on TV these days, I was entertained and the show itself did a decent job in portraying the experience of surviving on an island. Although the footage seemed edited more for drama than documentation. The focus for virtually two entire episodes was water and food. Obviously extremely important to survival, and I would disagree with tackling the lean-to before resolving the water situation. The series became most interesting once he was starting to move past basic survival and moving forward with "living" on the island. I would have been interested to see more use of the raft for fishing.

One big takeaway was how much better off he would have been with a knife, a firestarter and a machete. Less than $50 worth of equipment would have drastically improved his situation. In my opinion, with two major medical interventions, the premise of the show wasn't proved to be true. Without outside support in a true survival situation I'm skeptical he would have made it.  

Also agree with the previous poster who pointed out many of his improvements came via scavenging modern materials.  While certainly a good survival tactic, it seemed to subtract from what the series intially promised, namely a man without any modern gear going it alone for 60 days.

Good review imho.

What I found entertaining was that he was trying to signal for rescue, it wasn't a "how-to" as much as it was just a documented ordeal, and he never stopped making efforts to better his situation.  I think it would be interesting to drop someone else in right where he left off, and just keeping swapping people out in 2 month shifts.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are butt naked banging the female maid on a Carnival Cruise ship. The ship suddenly gets hit by a soviet sub and sinks.

You find yourself swimming in the ocean butt naked and everybody else is lost a sea. You swim to the island.

Could hapoen

Dude... this is friggin' hilarious!  You should be writing comedy.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2013 11:48:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Exactly what I thought. That goat was TANGLED. Strange for a creature raised on that island to suddenly become that trapped right at the jungle edge just when the guy needed meat most. And everything that washed up on the shore as he needed it (The "knife" in particular) screamed of bullshit.

Link Posted: 5/11/2013 2:32:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

snip

Really; he had to do it naked?

That's exactly what I said out loud the first time I flipped to the channel and saw is blurry butt walking down the beach...Really?
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

Really; he had to do it naked?

That's exactly what I said out loud the first time I flipped to the channel and saw is blurry butt walking down the beach...Really?

Crack for the Sheeple.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top