Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Of course they are...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are saying protocols were not being followed...

Of course they are...

Cause the virus that hasn't mutated into an airborne form since the 70's, suddenly mutating, is more likely than some idiot wiping their face with a dirty glove?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quote:

The director for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Sunday that the infection in the health care worker, who was not on the organization’s watch list for people who had contact with Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan, resulted from a “breach in protocol.”

"We have spoken with the health care worker," who cannot "identify the specific breach" that allowed the infection to spread, said CDC director Dr. Tom Frieden. The CDC has sent additional staff members to Dallas to “assist with the response,” he said.

Double speak?

Texas health commissioner David Lakey said the health care worker had "extensive contact" with Duncan.

And wasn't on the Organization's 'watch list'? [See above]

We have confidence in these clowns?

Dunkin's associates lived for what, a week with him, further they  lived in the apartment full of his bodily fluids, vomit, same bed, same toilet???

Everyone was worried abt the pressure washer guy who cleaned the sidewalk of vomit?

And they didn't catch it?

What did this health care worker do -differently???

Is Ebola more infectious in the terminal stages? Or are folks more confident in their 'protection', while wearing PPE? Or are they stupid abt the risks?

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Had extensive contact......Not on the watch list......is infected.....Was obviously wearing protective gear treating a patient known to be infected.

What???   Does not compute.

WTF is going on??

Do we just keep having incompetent care providers or what?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#4]
This is our political/medical 'Important Official' community, why are you surprised???

What did you expect? That they put their pants on differently than everyone else? That they're God, ----or just play God?

That they won't lie, steal, do what it takes to feather their nests, retain power and control, and expand their Organization?

And fail to accept responsibility for their incompetency? While wasting Billions ---that doesn't EVEN EXIST?

Besides, each disinformation event will do it's job -for them, and US ---the 'addicted' Sheeple munching on shit in front of our 24/7 flat screens, we will forget, one example to the next.

In a matter of hours...

This is partly why the USA is screwed. This is embedded throughout the country in every institution.

Us Sheeple are dumber and more naïve than a box of rocks.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#5]
a few questions:

where's the sweet spot for strategic advancement into isolation?  confirmed case in town? closest metro-city?  none?

what strain of ebola is it?  I need to read up.

if the virus crosses species and incubation period is 21 days then there's also a variance of proximity/contact transmission during transmittable phase which compounds the isolation duration needed ... nearly almost correct?

that would mean everyone needs to die at the same time to have a good chance of isolating successfully even possibly including any non human species...like migratory birds, city to forest vermin, game?

the media is two to three days behind reporting some news compared to GD..lol... add that to any timeline being considered if using the news as a gauge

thanks for any input,

worried.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dallas healthcare worker tests positive for Ebola. Was wearing hazmat gear.
View Quote

Not hazmat gear, If I am not mistaking that is the suit.  She was wearing gown, mask and goggles!
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
a few questions:

where's the sweet spot for strategic advancement into isolation?  confirmed case in town? closest metro-city?  none?

if the virus crosses species and incubation period is 21 days then there's also a variance of proximity/contact transmission during transmittable phase which compounds the isolation duration needed ... nearly almost correct?

that would mean everyone needs to die at the same time to have a good chance of isolating successfully even possibly including any non human species...like migratory birds, city to forest vermin, game?

the media is two to three days behind reporting some news compared to GD..lol... add that to any timeline being considered if using the news as a gauge

thanks for any input,

worried.

View Quote

Patience, plenty of time to start worrying if this pans out into something far bigger than it has so far.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not hazmat gear, If I am not mistaking that is the suit.  She was wearing gown, mask and goggles!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dallas healthcare worker tests positive for Ebola. Was wearing hazmat gear.

Now they are saying she was wearing "Full Bio Suit": Article

That means they have started a misinformation campaign, which actually makes it worst!!!!  She was wearing a Gown, Mask and Goggles people.

People, this will be taken under control and it is not that big of a deal. Unfortunately people will die, economy will be impacted, and lives will be changed forever!  But  In a magic show always watch the hand they dont want you to look at!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Forgot to mention...

Freedoms will be lost because folks are too stupid to unnerstand what's going on...

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Patience, plenty of time to start worrying if this pans out into something far bigger than it has so far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

a few questions:

thanks for any input,

worried.

I'll say this much: If I were in the DFW area, I would be bugged in TIGHT.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
a few questions:

thanks for any input,

worried.

I think that would be excessive, depending what you meant by "TIGHT"!

Facts are:  This is a virus that spreads thru contact with body fluid of a sick infected patient or prob coming in contact with aerosols of a sick infected patient. Look in any medical book, that's how it spreads.   There may be new strains of the virus that is airborne, but is not likely...... I would take effective medical precautions (wash hands several times a day, use antibacterial wipes on doors, etc, use Germ-x regularly. when I come home I would take my clothes and shoes off in the mudd room and will avoid bringing any viruses home), my kids would prob still go to school, but we would avoid public events and malls, etc.  I would prepare for the worst and hope for the best, But more importantly I will not panic!  

I believe Ebola in the developed countries is the perfect distraction!!!!!!!!  Watch the other hand......

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sorry, but I'm rather creeped out by this thing. I have feared Ebola ever since reading "The Hot Zone" back in 1994 (I'm rereading it now). Tom Clancy's novels didn't help.

Now it's here. It may be a flash in the pan, or it may not, but my preps just went into overdrive...
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:03:13 PM EDT
[#13]
A worst case scenario.....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1toOGzpONwc[/youtube]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A worst case scenario.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1toOGzpONwc
View Quote

He refers to...

"68,000 UNACCOMPANIED CHILDREN" when so many were gang thugs -intentionally let in by our .gov!.

So is he politically correct and in Obama's pocket????

Is he credible, altho he sounds plausible, I wonder what leftist axe he's grinding...

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:21:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't know him and dont know his politics, but I agree he is plausible.  Also the CENTCOM/SOUTHCOM/etc people are honorable and straight shooters.  IMHO, he shouldn't have opened his mouth in public however!

I am also majorly concerned about the virus getting into SE Asia and china.  China has tens of thousands of people working in Africa.  Its going to spread in China like it it did in Africa.  China being the factory and financier of the world, It would be disasterous!

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Ebola screening starts Thurs. at 4 more US airports, including Atlanta's

Customs and health officials at airports in Washington, Chicago, Atlanta and Newark will take the temperatures of passengers from three West African countries starting Thursday.

Federal health officials say the entry screenings add another layer of protection to halt the spread of the Ebola virus that has killed thousands. Screeners will use no-touch thermometers to try to find passengers with fevers.

The screenings started at New York's Kennedy International Airport Saturday. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday that screenings will start Thursday at Washington Dulles, Chicago O'Hare, Newark's Liberty and Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta.

Customs officials say about 150 people travel daily from or through Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinea to the United States. Nearly 95 percent of them land first at one of those five airports.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Don't know him and dont know his politics, but I agree he is plausible.  Also the CENTCOM/SOUTHCOM/etc people are honorable and straight shooters.  IMHO, he shouldn't have opened his mouth in public however!

I am also majorly concerned about the virus getting into SE Asia and china.  China has tens of thousands of people working in Africa.  Its going to spread in China like it it did in Africa.  China being the factory and financier of the world, It would be disasterous!

View Quote

I don't know Gen Kelly either, but know that, as the Commander of US Southern Command, he is very much focused on US national security threats within his command's area of responsibility. To me this is the first logical, candid statement that I have seen from a senior official regarding the enormous threat Ebola poses.  Even if he is politically sympathetic to this administration, his comments to me are clearly not aligned with what is coming out of the administration.  The contradiction give him a lot of credibility in my book.

I would like to point out that the venue for these comments is not some press conference or magazine interview. It is was at the National Defense University (NDU), which trains officers and government civilians for work on senior staffs.  The interview itself was then released by the Department of Defense itself. This may very well have been a whoops moment for the politicians that provides insight into the real potential of the problem.

The question Gen Kelly was responding to, apparently, was "what keeps you up at night"?  It's telling that his immediate response was Ebola. I believe his answer was logically correct in that human conditions in the Caribbean, Central and South America are such that it is ripe for a pandemic. His point that West Africans are apparently commonly found within the human trafficking networks bringing people into this country connects the dots. You have a strong possibility of asymptomatic persons arriving from a region with pandemic Ebola into the Southern American regions which are overpopulated and with 3rd world health care systems. These individuals develop full blown Ebola infecting indigenous populations. Having been to Haiti, I was struck by its mention. This is a very densely populated place, especially in Port au Prince or Gonaives. The slums in these places would rival anything in Liberia.  Once this spreads locally, then its as the General says, "Katy bar the door" as the populations of these countries make a bee line for the U.S. The sociological/economic impact alone would be horrendous, but couple that with the arrival of asymptomatic illegals within our country, our own healthcare system becomes quickly overwhelmed.

Yes, we have a wonderful healthcare system in this country and are capable of dealing quite well with infectious diseases. However, its not a question of capability its one of  capacity. I don't believe we have the capacity to deal with huge numbers of Ebola infected.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Yet the General toes the Left's political unrealistic line with "68,000 Children" crossed the border this year.

We all know what crossed the border and the terrible issues communities are having as a result.

Something smells...

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Good Video:  Ebola Virus Outbreak 2014: Can Pets Spread It? | Ask Well | The New York Times

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW_7aK27seE[/youtube]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#20]
another confirmed
http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/ap_ab3cd5a9b32c450aa5a13e1a4a14c60e

that was the third ebola patient. 1 duncan, 2 healthcare worker/nurse Nina Pham, 3-healthcare worker in the link above, and now

suspected number 4:
http://www.infowars.com/report-patient-3-suspected-in-dallas-nurses-boyfriend-quarantined/

I know, I know, people love to poo-poo infowars. They have a screenshot of an internal memo from a large company in Dallas explaining that a coworker has been admitted to a hospital. Its suspected to be Nina Pham's Boyfriend
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Cause the virus that hasn't mutated into an airborne form since the 70's, suddenly mutating, is more likely than some idiot wiping their face with a dirty glove?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course they are...

How many cases before you concede they aren't idiots?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course they are...

There will be a virus that is spread through the air and is estimated to kill 36,000 people in the US alone this year.

We have 4 (maybe) cases of a deadly virus that is spread through direct contact of blood and bodily fluids of the infected. A situation that is largely contained and very closely monitored.

I'm more worried about the former than the latter this year.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ebola screening starts Thurs. at 4 more US airports, including Atlanta's

Customs and health officials at airports in Washington, Chicago, Atlanta and Newark will take the temperatures of passengers from three West African countries starting Thursday.

Federal health officials say the entry screenings add another layer of protection to halt the spread of the Ebola virus that has killed thousands. Screeners will use no-touch thermometers to try to find passengers with fevers.

The screenings started at New York's Kennedy International Airport Saturday. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday that screenings will start Thursday at Washington Dulles, Chicago O'Hare, Newark's Liberty and Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta.

Customs officials say about 150 people travel daily from or through Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinea to the United States. Nearly 95 percent of them land first at one of those five airports.
View Quote

Why are we still letting people in from these countries?  It's almost as if the administration is asking for Ebola to spread in the USA.  Am I wrong in this?  Stopping visitors from these countries seems like an easy way to limit exposure.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Something I am curious about is the status of Thomas Duncan (patient zero) family and friends in Dallas. They lived with him in a small apartment from 20 September to 26 September and continued to live in the apartment containing contaminated materials for days after Duncan's admission to Presbyterian Hospital.

Has anyone heard a report on the condition of those folks? They would be near the end of the 21 day incubation period by now. If at least one of them doesn't contract the disease, it will be a true miracle. I mean if a nurse contracts the disease simply from brushing a contaminated glove against their face, then the odds of living in an Ebola "petri dish" for over a week and not contracting the disease, is truly nothing but miraculous.

Either its a miracle or there is an attempt to withhold information with regard to Duncan's family and friends.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Something I am curious about is the status of Thomas Duncan (patient zero) family and friends in Dallas. They lived with him in a small apartment from 20 September to 26 September and continued to live in the apartment containing contaminated materials for days after Duncan's admission to Presbyterian Hospital.

Has anyone heard a report on the condition of those folks? They would be near the end of the 21 day incubation period by now. If at least one of them doesn't contract the disease, it will be a true miracle. I mean if a nurse contracts the disease simply from brushing a contaminated glove against their face, then the odds of living in an Ebola "petri dish" for over a week and not contracting the disease, is truly nothing but miraculous.

Either its a miracle or there is an attempt to withhold information with regard to Duncan's family and friends.

View Quote

Silence, serf......
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why would it be a 'miracle'???

Do you think there's a possibility it might be due to the infectious characteristics of the virus???

Why do folks feel so compelled to blend their emotional view of events into reality?

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Do you think there's a possibility it might be due to the infectious characteristics of the virus???

Why do folks feel so compelled to blend their emotional view of events into reality?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I truly believe that it would be nothing short of miraculous. However, you could also look at the miraculous statement as being a metaphor for the family/friends of Duncan beating incredible odds and not being infected.

The friends/family of Duncan seem to be people of faith having their pastor as their spokesman in the beginning of this.  I choose to believe in the power of prayer. You can believe what you want, but nothing you say will dissuade me from that belief.

Could be it is the nature of the virus. However, I have seen nor heard of any evidence that the viral load from blood, semen, feces, urine, sweat or any other "secretion" is less towards the end of the infection.

Granted logic might say that viral load is higher on, for the sake of discussion, say day 10 of an infection, but this group of exposed folks were in Duncan's presence for at least half of his symptomatic period.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't know if this has been posted previously or not. It's a news feed web site and this particular feed is specific to Ebola.

http://www.breakingnews.com/topic/africa-ebola-outbreak-2014/

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Another nurse that treated Duncan has Ebola and has now been transported from Dallas to Atlanta. CNN reporter's opinion is the Dallas hospital effectively threw up their hands concerning her treatment and sent her to Emery.

Oh, by the way she rode a commercial  airliner from Dallas to Cleveland and back while having an elevated temperature. Now the hunt is on to find the over one hundred  passengers that were on the planes with her. It just keeps getting worse
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Niman's take...

Media Myth On Ebola Convalescent Antibodies
Recombinomics Commentary
Octoerber 23, 2014 21:00
The patient’s 103-degree fever might warrant “a little more investigation,” Adalja said. A chart showed he did not arrive with a fever but left with one.

By Duncan’s second ER visit, the care was “impeccable,” the doctor said. Dallas physicians immediately signaled concern about Ebola and “spared no measure to try to keep him alive.”

After it became clear that Duncan was suffering from Ebola, another option would have been to give him a transfusion from an Ebola survivor in the hopes that antibodies in the blood could help him fight the disease.
But Duncan did not receive a transfusion because the blood types did not match, the hospital said.

Dr. Kent Brantly, the first American flown back to the U.S. for treatment of Ebola, confirmed that account, saying he spoke with a doctor caring for Duncan and was willing to donate blood. But their blood types were incompatible, he said Friday in an interview with Abilene Christian University’s alumni magazine.

The above account on the failure to treat Duncan with convalescent plasma is alarming.  The WHO has cited the use of convalescent blood or plasma to treat patients and posted a detailed 2014 report on its Ebola website entitled “Use of Convalescent Whole Blood or Plasma Collected from Patients Recovered from Ebola Virus Disease for Transfusion, as an Empirical Treatment during Outbreaks”.  The report addresses ABO mismatches:
When it is not possible to test the patient’s ABO group or if ABO matched CWB/CP is not available then:
and recommends using whole blood if the donor is type O (universal donor) and to use plasma if the donor is type AB, A, or B (since plasma has had the blood cells removed).

Indeed, Kent Brantly was treated with convalescent antibodies from a recovered case (14M) in Liberia and he was the donor for three cases treated in Nebraska (Rick Sacra and Ashoka Mukpo) was well as the health care worker in Texas, Nina Pham.  Media reports characterize one or more of these treatments as a plasma infusion, suggesting an ABO mismatch (which would preclude a whole blood transfusion, but not a plasma transfusion).

This failure to treat with convalescent antibody follows a failure to admit when Eric Duncan made his initial visit to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital on the evening of September 25.  Although he had a low grade fever when he arrived, when he left 4 hours later he had a fever of 103 F (and was sent home with antibiotics and Tylenol).

Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital has been cited for the past three years for having a high frequency of ER discharges which returned within 30 days, and Eric Duncan fit that pattern when he returned on September 28 after a contact called 911, which led to ambulance transport.  By then Eric Duncan also had diarrhea and vomiting but his blood was not sent out for Ebola testing until the next day, Monday, September 29 (and media reports indicated his nephew call the CDC on Monday due to a lack of progress).

Although Eric Duncan was lab confirmed on Tuesday, September 30 by the CDC in Atlanta and the Texas State Lab in Austin, he was not treated with convalescent antibodies even though Kent Brantly was willing to donate.  Moreover, experimental drug treatment was delayed until Duncan suffered organ failure and was placed on life support (involving intubation and dialysis).

The withheld antibodies and late treatment may have contributed to the patient’s deterioration, which was likely associated with an increased viral load, which may have played a role in the infection of Nina Pham.

More detail on the apparent failure to follow WHO advise on the use of convalescent plasma on recipients which do not match the donor and why the treatment of Eric Ducan was characterized as “impeccable” would be useful .

TLDR summary, the docs screwed the pooch with Duncan's treatment by not providing antibody laden plasma from a recovered doc [Brantly] who volunteered the potential gift of life...

Well--- what did you expect????  

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Uh oh, look at this...  Linked from Flutrackers...

Ebola, WHO - "admits incubation period falls within the one to 42 day interval"

42 days????????  

Up to 42 day incubation

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

42 days????????  

Up to 42 day incubation

View Quote
Interesting. How many people got ebola post 21 days last possible exposure?

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:02:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

42 days????????  

Up to 42 day incubation

I was just reading about that on Avian Flu Talk.  They said that 42 days is used because it is 2 x the longest
incubation period.  Maybe its a safety margin.
Ill go back to see if I can find out the exact details.

Found it.   After 42 days a country can be said to be clear of the disease.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:51:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

There will be a virus that is spread through the air and is estimated to kill 36,000 people in the US alone this year.

We have 4 (maybe) cases of a deadly virus that is spread through direct contact of blood and bodily fluids of the infected. A situation that is largely contained and very closely monitored.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course they are...

What is the mortality rate of said virus?  The flu is contracted by between 15 million and 60 million Americans per year.  
You can play down the seriousness of the ebola virus but the economic impact to this country will be unimaginable should ebola
start showing up in multiple states.  It won't be the ebola that kills, it will be the hysteria that is associated with it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
 It won't be the ebola that kills, it will be the hysteria that is associated with it.
View Quote

QFT.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

42 days????????  

Up to 42 day incubation

View Quote

So looks like a second strain is now becoming more common!

There are actually several strains of the virus out there but until this past week only the "Zaire Ebolavirus" with up to 21 days of incubation was being discussed!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Drudge is linking to a story that the incubation period has passed for many of the exposed and isolated folks.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#38]
CDC to monitor travelers from West Africa for 21 days .........................................  Link

In a move designed to further enhance air-traveler Ebola screening, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) today announced a program to monitor all passengers arriving from the three outbreak countries for 21 days after they arrive.

The move comes a day after the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced that all air travelers arriving from Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone would be funneled through five airports that are already doing enhanced screening, such as temperature checks and questions about exposure to the virus.

CDC Director Tom Frieden, MD, MPH, said at a media briefing today that the 21-day monitoring will affect all of the approximately 150 people that arrive in the United States from the three countries every day, most of whom are Americans or people from the region who are longtime legal residents of the United States. Outbreak responders, journalists, and even the CDC's own employees are among the targets of the new screening step.

"We'll continue to do whatever we can to reduce the risk to Americans," Frieden said. The new measure has been in the works for some time and represents the next step in the process to boost the country's guard against Ebola, he added.

Steps will begin Oct 27
The new steps will require the involvement of state and local public health departments, which will be involved in actively monitoring the incoming travelers, who must take their temperatures twice a day and report the findings to authorities once a day, the same monitoring protocol used in Nigeria, which a few days ago was declared free of virus transmission, Frieden said.

Post-arrival monitoring will begin Oct 27 in six states that account for 70% of incoming travelers from the outbreak area: New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, New Jersey, and Georgia.  Other states will start the process in the following days, according to the CDC. Frieden said some states see very few travelers from the region, so the number of travelers who will be monitored will vary widely by state.

In advance of the new monitoring process, states will need to have an around-the-the-clock phone number that travelers can call to report their temperatures or any symptoms they are having, Frieden said. States must also have a procedure to evaluate patients, a plan to transport them, and a system for how the travelers will be monitored, such as through Skype, FaceTime, or even through an employee health program, similar to what the CDC does to monitor its employees who return from the outbreak area.

Frieden said that the CDC will have technical and resource assistance for states.

Travelers will report in daily about any intent to travel, and if they don't report in every day, health departments will take immediate steps to locate them to resume daily monitoring and reporting.  People who had high-risk exposure to the virus will be quarantined and barred from commercial travel. People who have symptoms will be isolated and directed to a local hospital that has been trained to receive and evaluate possible Ebola patients, the CDC said.

Each traveler will be given a care kit that includes a thermometer, a log sheet for recording temperatures, pictorial descriptions of the disease, a wallet card with information on whom to call, and other resources.

US patient updates
In other outbreak news, a photojournalist who was infected with Ebola in Liberia while working with NBC was released from the hospital today after tests showed that he was free of the virus.

Ashoka Mukpo, age 30, was hospitalized at Nebraska Medical Center on Oct 6. During his treatment he received convalescent serum from US Ebola survivor Kent Brantley, MD, and the experimental antiviral drug brincidofovir.

His medical team said at a briefing today that it's not clear if the supportive care, serum, or experimental drug played the key role in his recovery, and that tests are still being done to assess the impacts of the interventions, according to the hospital's Twitter feed.

In a statement released by the hospital today, Mukpo praised the care he received and said, "Today is a joyful day for my family and I. After enduring weeks where it was unclear whether I would survive, I'm walking out of the hospital on my own power, free from Ebola." He said he would discuss the details of his illness and treatment later with the press.

His doctors said Mukpo will have prolonged weakness, similar to that of other infections such as flu or mononucleosis. They said he was released 1 day sooner than the first Ebola patient treated at the hospital, Rick Sacra, MD.

Meanwhile, the condition of Nina Pham, the first nurse infected with Ebola while caring for the nation's first Ebola patient in Dallas, has been upgraded from fair to good, according to a statement yesterday from the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Pham was transferred from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas on Oct 16 to the NIH Clinical Center Special Clinical Studies Unit, one of four US specialty units designed for treating rare and highly contagious diseases.

A second infected nurse infected at the same Dallas hospital, Amber Joy Vinson, is being treated at another one of the high-containment units, at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta.

Vaccine progress
A phase 1 trial of a second investigational Ebola vaccine is under way at the NIH Clinical Center in Bethesda, Md., the agency said in a statement today. The vaccine, called VSV-EBOV, was developed by the Public Health Agency of Canada and has been licensed to NewLink Genetics Corp, based in Ames, Iowa. It uses an Ebola virus protein spliced into a vesicular stomatitis virus (VSV).

The early trial is designed to assess the safety and immunogenicity of a two-dose prime-boost strategy in healthy adults. A similar trial to test a single-dose strategy for the vaccine is also under way at the Walter Reed Institute of Research in Silver Spring, Md.

The two-dose trial at NIH will enroll 39 healthy adults ages 18 to 65, randomized to one of three groups receiving a different, escalating dose. In each group, 10 will receive the vaccine and 3 will be injected with a placebo. Participants will receive their first dose or placebo, followed by another 28 days later. Study enrollment is staggered, beginning with the lowest dose, allowing researchers to assess safety before moving to the next dose level.

The one-dose trial at Walter Reed will assess the safety of the vaccine at different dosage levels, with initial results expected by the end of 2014.

Responding to recent concerns that progress on the VSV-EBOV could move too slowly because NewLink might be too small and unfamiliar with Ebola vaccines to move research and production forward rapidly, the company's chief executive scientific officer, Charles Link, MD, said there haven't been delays and that the process would be dangerous if things were progressing any faster, the Canadian Press reported today.

He said the company has a batch of vaccine that is close to being ready and that it is working with two European contract manufacturers to make more. Link told the Canadian Press that the company expects to have 60,000 to 70,000 vials of vaccine by the end of the year, which—depending on the dose needed—could be enough for between 600,000 to 700,000 doses or 6 million to 7 million doses.

Link added that plans are in the works to skip phase 2 trials and progress to phase 3 trials in Liberia and Sierra Leone in early 2015.

The first trial of an investigational Ebola vaccine began in September, involving a vaccine developed by the NIH's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and GSK called ChAd3. Early trial data are expected by the end of the year.

In other Ebola vaccine developments, Johnson & Johnson today announced it has committed $200 million to speed the development and production of an Ebola vaccine regimen that involves its Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.

The vaccine regimen, developed during work with the NIH, combines a Janssen preventive vaccine with one made by Danish company Bavarian Nordic. The combination has shown promise in preclinical studies and will begin phase 1 trials in the United States, Europe, and Africa in January.

In September the two companies said they would speed the development and testing of the prime-boost vaccine regimen.

The two vaccine components are Crucell's AdVac technology and Bavarian Nordic's MVA-BN technology. The companies have been collaborating on a monovalent vaccine targeting the Zaire strain of the Ebola virus, the one responsible for West Africa's outbreak, as part of ongoing work to develop a multivalent vaccine.

Paul Stoffels, MD, Johnson & Johnson's chief scientific officer, said in a statement that the company's goal is to produce more than a million vaccine doses over the next few months.

Other developments
   Texas Gov Rick Perry yesterday announced that the state would create a state-of-the-art Ebola treatment and infectious disease containment facility in Richardson, Tex., part of the initial recommendations of a task force recently put in place to better protect health workers and respond to infectious disease threats, according to a statement. Also, the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) in Galveston was designated as another Ebola treatment and infectious disease containment facility. Three providers will set up the facility in Richardson: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Methodist Hospital System, and Parkland Hospital System. It will be located on the floor of the Methodist Campus for Continuing Care, which has an intensive care unit wing that can handle infectious disease cases.

Joanne Liu, MD, international president of Doctors without Borders (MSF), said yesterday in an interview with the Canadian Press that the world should move away from assigning blame for the slow response to West Africa's Ebola epidemic and focus instead on the fixing the problem now.  She was referring to a recent Associated Press story, which cited a draft of a World Health Organization (WHO) report that harshly criticized the agency's own early response to the outbreak. She said help is arriving in the region, but delivering on promises is slow and can take 6 to 8 weeks. She said MSF is urging nations to follow through on pledges they made in September during special United Nations meetings.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Drudge is linking to a story that the incubation period has passed for many of the exposed and isolated folks.

View Quote
My shocked face.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Doc who treated over in W Africa CONFIRMED ebola in NYC.

Hopped around the city with symptoms for 2 days, close contact with 4 people once very sick.

Mayor of NYC says their procedures worked perfectly
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:17:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Have you ever heard Totalitarians, Commies, Leftists, etc, ever say anything different?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:43:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Doc who treated over in W Africa CONFIRMED ebola in NYC.

Hopped around the city with symptoms for 2 days, close contact with 4 people once very sick.

Mayor of NYC says their procedures worked perfectly
View Quote

CNN link
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Have you ever hear Totalitarians, Commies, Leftists, etc, ever say anything different?

View Quote
Oh, I'm sure they will be slapping each other on the back over their success all the way into a Walking Dead scenario.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
 It won't be the ebola that kills, it will be the hysteria that is associated with it.
View Quote

AGREE.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Is Flu Trackers down?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#46]
it is up but running very slow
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah,the Obama adminstration lied about the condition of illegals that were quarantined in San Antonio, and they threatened healthcare workers with prosecution if they exposed any details of how bad it was.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yeah,the Obama adminstration lied about the condition of illegals that were quarantined in San Antonio, and they threatened healthcare workers with prosecution if they exposed any details of how bad it was.
View Quote

And as of a few weeks ago, there were 1400 cases that the cdc was following because

they may be infected.  In the US.  They wanted to keep the possible cases off of the

front page so as to not spoke the markets.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Guess we are up to H7N9 now?  Outstanding!!!

Would I be going out on a limb saying its only a matter of time?  WW3 vs. pandemic vs. economic collapse... Which will come first nobody knows

I guess that's what I get for leaving this pandemic thread in my sub list...
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top