Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/4/2013 6:10:38 AM EDT
For years I've bought things at REI simply because I knew that if they didn't work right, or they failed sooner than expected, I could exchange them w/ no hassle.

This was always their policy and it's kind of the only way they can justify full MSRP

Anyway, their policy has changed. They no longer accept returns for what they could deem "normal wear and tear".

Example: you buy a $150 outdoor jacket and it rips; you don't get to take it back for a new one; shouldn't have actually worn it outdoors I guess

I found this out yesterday. I purchased a TNF jacket there in 2009 which developed holes on the sleeve. I took it up to the counter where an older lady pulled my membership info and told me how their policy has changed w/ the wear and tear angle. Ok, I thought, no biggie...it certainly makes sense nowadays w/ retailers hurting and all.

I wasn't rude, demanding, or anything; I just told her I was dissapointed, but understood. She kept talking and asked me 3 times if I wanted to talk to a manager

Finally I told her that if she needed a manager, then to please call one

Long story short, the manager offered to give me a store credit before I said one word to him, but he went on about how the "policy hasn't changed, we just don't take returns for wear and tear anymore as people have been abusing it"...well, that WAS the policy before dude, so be definition: it has changed

So, just a heads up. REI is still a decent place to get gear and clothes, but they no longer have the unlimited return policy they used to.
Speed
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:14:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Never liked them because they don't carry anything that is blaze orange.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:21:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What?

I've seen bright orange jackets and stuff there...actually I have an orange backpack I bought there...you know they are legally structured as a hippy co-op though, right?

I used to hate going to the one in the city; if you didn't ride in there on a bicycle, than none of the sales staff gave a fuck, but the newer one they opened closer to my house has been great.

I'm just dissapointed that their awesome return policy is gone.

Speed

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I see too much orange at work, I don't like orange anymore...I have black and purple jack O Lanterns at halloween..HurricaineAllie prefers them that way
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#4]
You returned a four year old jacket because you wore a hole in the sleeve?  We have a word for things like that, chickenshit.  REI also sells self adhesive nylon patches in a variety of colors, the store clerks should have just pointed you toward those and at the most given you a patch for free.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#5]
That's not chicken shit. You don't know how often he wore that 4 year old jacket. Quit being an ASS
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:55:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That's not chicken shit. You don't know how often he wore that 4 year old jacket. Quit being an ASS

I didn't wear a hole in it, but it doesn't matter anyway. It didn't meet my expectations and REI's return policy USED to be that they would return anything they sold for that reason.
This isn't K-Mart...this is a store that sells high end outdoor gear at full MSRP for outdoor enthusiasts

EMS and other retailers have (or at least had, to the best of my knowledge) similar policies. I bought my first pack at an EMS store precisely for that reason.
ETA: to be more specific before this devolves from a simple PSA into a question of my morality, the jacket in question was TNF Windwall; a windproof fleece I bought for backpacking.

I wore it hiking a few times, but mostly as a casual jacket to work....indoors The elbows didn't wear out, but several holes formed on one sleeve...like the fleece part on top of the lining wore away. It just didn't hold up.
Speed

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Failing to meet your expectations four years later on a fleece jacket shouldn't be my problem.  I say my problem because I am a member of REI too, I have been for going on two decades.  The money tp cover your return has to come from somewhere, like out of everyone else's dividend.  We have REI, North Face, Mountain Hardwear... clothing ourselves.  I specifically bought Mountain Hardwear there back when they were made in the USA and even those items have wear and tear.  Returning a four year old jacket even if it had never been worn, is abusing a return policy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Blaze orange clothing causes violence toward cute little woods creatures.

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Failing to meet your expectations four years later on a fleece jacket shouldn't be my problem.  I say my problem because I am a member of REI too, I have been for going on two decades.  The money tp cover your return has to come from somewhere, like out of everyone else's dividend.  We have REI, North Face, Mountain Hardwear... clothing ourselves.  I specifically bought Mountain Hardwear there back when they were made in the USA and even those items have wear and tear.  Returning a four year old jacket even if it had never been worn, is abusing a return policy.

That's your opinion and that's fine, but the point of my thread was to let SF know that the policy has changed there.

Speed

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#10]
This whole thing doesn't have anything to do with survival anyways.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

REI is one of if not THE premier outdoor store. How many folks come to this forum to learn about survival gear; what to buy, how to use it, where to buy it?

I don't know what rubbed you the wrong way that makes you want to piss in my thread, but I'm asking you kindly to not reply if you have nothing else constructive to say

Speed

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I drove all the way to the Burgh to buy a pair of hiking boots last fall.  I specifically asked the girl at the counter if I could return them if they hurt my feet.

She got kind of snippy about it. Said I should wear them around the store before buying them. Never mind the fact that I did, but a few minutes walking around a store is a far cry from 10 miles on a trail with a pack.

She reminded me more of a gun shop counter person than an REI sales person.

The return policy was the ONLY reason I went there to buy boots.

Did you go to the South Side store in the city or the newer one at Robinson?

I know I've expressed my feelings about their store in the city to you before The one in Robinson is much better as far as knowledgeable, friendly service.

Speed

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the heads-up speed.  That sucks.  I've been a member for years, and this is one of the reasons.  I had a 1.5 year old goretex jacket that tore (not abused) and it was replaced for free.  If those days are over, I'll be buying for less somewhere else.

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't think your situation was abuse, albeit four years is a quite a while regardless of how much you actually wore the jacket.  Me personally, after four years if I really liked the jacket I would just repair it and continue wearing it versus replacing it (out of sentiment, you know how it goes with gear you really like).  

The true problem are the folks who really abuse the policy that ruin it for everyone else.  I saw a lady at Costco return a near-empty gallon of whole milk because "she thought it was 2%".  Those milks come in two packs, so she probably finished the first.  She also returned a frozen cut of meat that she says "was too old".  Simply astounding that Costco bent over for her and gave her money back.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I have never bought much at REI, simply to expensive for me. Everyone I know that shops there talks about there awesome return policy and that's why they buy gear @ REI. This thread drops them out of the running next time I need a new jacket. I have local sources that sell for less I will support instead.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm glad they changed the policy.  I worked there for a year and the shit people returned blew my kind.  People walk in daily with 10+ year old gear that had finally blown a seam after 5,000 miles of backpacking and said they were kind of disappointed with the durability if the item.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#18]
If one wants a no questions asked type of return policy/warranty expect to pay higher prices....it's that simple....I shouldn't have to tell you guys that there are no free rides. We're paying one way or the other...and that goes for all the "free" shipping promo's so popular these days...or...."free" return shipping.  You're paying one way or the other. I can tell you very simply that people have lost their minds...the jackasses out there bringing back every POS that they've discovered in their closet's are the one's ruining it for folks with legit return concerns.

RG
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

REI is one of if not THE premier outdoor store. How many folks come to this forum to learn about survival gear; what to buy, how to use it, where to buy it?

I don't know what rubbed you the wrong way that makes you want to piss in my thread, but I'm asking you kindly to not reply if you have nothing else constructive to say

Speed

Don't mind the hall monitor, Speed. Your thread is very relevant to this forum and I'm glad to know of the change.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#20]
If the jacket was TNF, try contacting them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If the jacket was TNF, try contacting them.

REI took care of it; honestly I was fine with the explanation and change...I'm a retailer myself, I understand. I was just dissapointed that I had purchased it under the pretense of one return policy and then it's now different. I guess the sales rep felt bad and didn't have the authority to issue a return, so she kept badgering to get a manager

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I just wanted everyone here to be aware that it's not like it used to be at REI, so if you're planning on making a big gear purchase, it might be prudent to go to a local place or a discount retailer like Backcountry, Moosejaw, Camp-Mor, etc...no sense paying full retail if you get no benefits from it

Speed

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, Speed. Will take it under advisement.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Legally they'd have to stick to whatever return policy they offered when you bought the jacket, as that was when the purchase/sale contract was entered into, no?  You can't change the terms after the fact, willy-nilly.

These companies (like Costco) aren't offering a "no-questions asked" return policy out of the goodness of their hearts: They do it because it makes financial sense for them to do so.  REI didn't stop because they suddenly realized people were taking advantage of it.  For whatever reason, they concluded that it didn't make financial sense for them to offer it anymore.  Just business.

By the way-- check out Sierra Trading Post.  They offer deep discounts AND a no questions return policy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Legally they'd have to stick to whatever return policy they offered when you bought the jacket, as that was when the purchase/sale contract was entered into, no?  You can't change the terms after the fact, willy-nilly.

IDK, I know a few years back when Sears tried telling folks that they could only get one free replacement on a broken handtool and asking customers to fill out little slips, one of my mechanics flipped out on them and refused to fill anything out That guy spent thousands and thousands ON a warranty, not the tools.

I'm not 100% sure on the status of Sear's return policy now, but shit happens.

I'm sure that REI's sales are hurting and they're not seeing a return on their big expansion effort from a few years back. The manager went to great lengths to assure me that REI would "still take care of me", but it was a speech I'm sure he's been giving daily for a while. He was simply doing his best to pacify his customers after a policy change. It is what it is.

Speed

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Wait so you can't piss in a sleeping bag and take it back now??  Speed your screwed man

Sorry i just had to do it
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Speed,

Forgive me, but a single, isolated incident does not mean that REI has changed their return policy...a point that seems to be lost on
most people who have replied to this thread.  

While I don't doubt that you had the conversation and that you accurately reported the events surrounding it, REI's website says otherwise:

The REI Guarantee

We stand behind everything we sell. If at any time your REI purchase doesn't meet your expectations, you can return it for a replacement
or refund. What's more, if you're an REI member, you don’t even need a receipt—we'll have a record of your purchase.

http://www.rei.com/help/guarantee.html

My REI membership card is older than most of the employees at my local store.  I find that I frequently know more about both the products,
and REI's policies, than many of the part-time/temp employees they have there.  They're a great company--even if prices are a bit steep--but
people are people, & sometimes, they let their opinions & preferences override company policy when they think they can get away with it.

Last week, I returned a pair of Keen low hikers, because the midsole had failed structurally--it collapsed, & instead of supporting my ankle,
actually caused pain to wear the shoes.  I got my purchase price (which was a sale price) back.  There were no questions asked, except,
"Do you remember when you bought these?"

Now, it is indeed true that a great many people abuse REI's return policy. That's what makes "scratch & dent" sales so much fun!  buying
all the barely-used stuff that people lied about & returned.   People in my local store tell me that they have no problem with legitimate returns,
such as mine--and yours, but people who buy something for a season...or a single camping trip...then return it...yes, they have a problem
with that, but, honor the return policy anyway.

Some years back, I bought a fleece jacket from a sale rack.  It was a beautiful cobalt blue, in the store.  When I got it home, turns out it
was "Barney Purple"--I was fooled by the lights they have in the store.  I mentioned it a year or 2 ago to the manager, & he told me to
bring it back & swap it for another.  I told him that wouldn't be right.  He replied:  "Our warranty even covers you not liking the color."

It's that full coverage that makes me spend my hard-earned dollars there for many things that I could get a little cheaper elsewhere.
I don't have any worries about possible problems being handled satisfactorily, without argument.

Just my two-hundredths of a dollar.

David

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#27]
This REALLY pisses me off! Dude I'm sorry but you are everything that is wrong with retail.  TOTAL asshole move to even think you have the right to return a 4 year old jacket you have been using.  People like you cost retailers and manufacturers tons of money by abusing the system, and then they have no choice but to raise prices on the rest of us to compensate for it.  You should not have gotten a credit not even one dime!! DISGUSTING abuse of the system. You really have some nerve!

Quoted:
For years I've bought things at REI simply because I knew that if they didn't work right, or they failed sooner than expected, I could exchange them w/ no hassle.
This was always their policy and it's kind of the only way they can justify full MSRP

Anyway, their policy has changed. They no longer accept returns for what they could deem "normal wear and tear".
Example: you buy a $150 outdoor jacket and it rips; you don't get to take it back for a new one; shouldn't have actually worn it outdoors I guess

I found this out yesterday. I purchased a TNF jacket there in 2009 which developed holes on the sleeve. I took it up to the counter where an older lady pulled my membership info and told me how their policy has changed w/ the wear and tear angle. Ok, I thought, no biggie...it certainly makes sense nowadays w/ retailers hurting and all.

I wasn't rude, demanding, or anything; I just told her I was dissapointed, but understood. She kept talking and asked me 3 times if I wanted to talk to a manager
Finally I told her that if she needed a manager, then to please call one

Long story short, the manager offered to give me a store credit before I said one word to him, but he went on about how the "policy hasn't changed, we just don't take returns for wear and tear anymore as people have been abusing it"...well, that WAS the policy before dude, so be definition: it has changed

So, just a heads up. REI is still a decent place to get gear and clothes, but they no longer have the unlimited return policy they used to.

Speed

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm sure that REI's sales are hurting and they're not seeing a return on their big expansion effort from a few years back. The manager went to great lengths to assure me that REI would "still take care of me", but it was a speech I'm sure he's been giving daily for a while. He was simply doing his best to pacify his customers after a policy change. It is what it is.

Seems they're doing ok. The first in Florida just opened on the 1st...10 min away.

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This REALLY pisses me off! Dude I'm sorry but you are everything that is wrong with retail.  TOTAL asshole move to even think you have the right to return a 4 year old jacket you have been using.  People like you cost retailers and manufacturers tons of money by abusing the system, and then they have no choice but to raise prices on the rest of us to compensate for it.  You should not have gotten a credit not even one dime!! DISGUSTING abuse of the system. You really have some nerve!

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Ahem...

The REI Guarantee

We stand behind
everything we sell. If at any time your REI purchase doesn't meet your
expectations, you can return it for a replacement

or refund. What's more, if you're an REI member, you don’t even need a receipt—we'll have a record of your purchase.

It's the whole point...

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Is this sarcasm?

Anyway, not only have I been in retail sales and management most of my adult life, I currently own and operate my own brick and mortar retail store

I have a return policy and I stick to it. Other retailers have return policies, generally comensuret with their pricing.

REI is notorious for their return policy, as well as their full MSRP pricing.

I was not trying to game the system; I ask that you re-read my OP and posts before tossing out accusations like that.

Speed

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Speed,

Forgive me, but a single, isolated incident does not mean that REI has changed their return policy...a point that seems to be lost on

most people who have replied to this thread.  

While I don't doubt that you had the conversation and that you accurately reported the events surrounding it, REI's website says otherwise:

The REI Guarantee

We stand behind everything we sell. If at any time your REI purchase doesn't meet your expectations, you can return it for a replacement

My REI membership card is older than most of the employees at my local store.  I find that I frequently know more about both the products,

and REI's policies, than many of the part-time/temp employees they have there.  They're a great company--even if prices are a bit steep--but

people are people, & sometimes, they let their opinions & preferences override company policy when they think they can get away with it.

Last week, I returned a pair of Keen low hikers, because the midsole had failed structurally--it collapsed, & instead of supporting my ankle,

actually caused pain to wear the shoes.  I got my purchase price (which was a sale price) back.  There were no questions asked, except,

"Do you remember when you bought these?"

Now, it is indeed true that a great many people abuse REI's return policy. That's what makes "scratch & dent" sales so much fun!  buying

all the barely-used stuff that people lied about & returned.   People in my local store tell me that they have no problem with legitimate returns,

such as mine--and yours, but people who buy something for a season...or a single camping trip...then return it...yes, they have a problem

with that, but, honor the return policy anyway.

Some years back, I bought a fleece jacket from a sale rack.  It was a beautiful cobalt blue, in the store.  When I got it home, turns out it

was "Barney Purple"--I was fooled by the lights they have in the store.  I mentioned it a year or 2 ago to the manager, & he told me to

bring it back & swap it for another.  I told him that wouldn't be right.  He replied:  "Our warranty even covers you not liking the color."

It's that full coverage that makes me spend my hard-earned dollars there for many things that I could get a little cheaper elsewhere.

I don't have any worries about possible problems being handled satisfactorily, without argument.

Just my two-hundredths of a dollar.

David

Thanks man. I was pretty shocked when the sales rep actually told me "we've changed our return policy": verbatim

The manager denied that and went on and on about limiting returns, but having been a retail manager, it sure sounded to me like the word came from on high to start cracking down.

But stores vary...like I said, I hate the REI in the city where I live, but the one closer to my house has always been great.

Speed

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#33]
It doesn't mean use something for 4 years then return it like an ahole. That's abuse of the system and costs the company and ultimately all of us.

"Expectations" doesn't mean use it abuse it then return it 4 years later
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It doesn't mean use something for 4 years then return it like an ahole. That's abuse of the system and costs the company and ultimately all of us.

"Expectations" doesn't mean use it abuse it then return it 4 years later

I looked again just in case.  Still not seeing any reference to "abuse" in the OP.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

It doesn't mean use something for 4 years then return it like an ahole.

Yes, that's exactly what it means. I paid $100 for a technical jacket, then ended up wearing it as a spring/fall casual jacket before it began coming apart.

I could have bought that jacket for $50-$60 online, but then I'd be ass out if it didn't hold up.

I chose to pay the full retail price at REI for the return policy.

Speed

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#36]
If I paid $1000 for a piece of gear which I have and it failed after 4 years you wouldn't catch me trying to return it like a douche after 4 years. You bought it, you used it, you got 4 years out of it, who knows how hard you were on it? Of course you'll say you weren't.  It's abuse of their policy

I'm guessing you voted for Obama too
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I drove all the way to the Burgh to buy a pair of hiking boots last fall.  I specifically asked the girl at the counter if I could return them if they hurt my feet.

She got kind of snippy about it. Said I should wear them around the store before buying them. Never mind the fact that I did, but a few minutes walking around a store is a far cry from 10 miles on a trail with a pack.

She reminded me more of a gun shop counter person than an REI sales person.

The return policy was the ONLY reason I went there to buy boots.

I was just at Cabelas today and they had some close out Columbia boots on special for half price. I don't really need another pair of boot but I thought I'd try a pair on. When I finally had the right size on and walking back and forth an associate that was watching me approached. He saw the "Do I really need these boots" look on my face
He said if I don't care for them I have 45 days and I can return them no questions ask. I have another pair of boots.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Oh lookie, another locked thread!

What the hell has happened to this forum?  

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Time to lock it down....
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#41]
There is an assumption at rei that you are paying extra for a no bs guarantee. It's built into the price.

Anything I sell that rei also sells has at least a 50% margin. The manufacturers are also getting a higher than 50% margin.

I am certain that the manufacturers share in the returns.

There are many places where you can buy north face gear 25-50% off and NOT get the guarantee. The op is right in that he paid upfront for a no bs guarantee and they should honor it.

If they change their policy to be more in line with other discounters, then their prices will reflect it.

Costco has a similar guarantee and continues to grow and be profitable compared to other retailers that treat customers like they bought something at a yard sale.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

I buy some of my gear there. They have good products at good prices and free classes. They also do a used gear flea market once a quarter I believe.
The survival forum is not just for SHTF bug in bunker what slippers for zombie types. Half the damn people in this forum couldn't survive a weekend in the woods.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Lands end does returns like that. Return it for any reason forever.

And craftsman is back to lifetime guarantee on hand tools.  It is worded," if for any reason you aren't satisfied". So it doesn't even technically have to be broken. I used to work there, only people I hated working with were flea marketer, who brought in rusty 60 year old tools, slap full five gallon buckets worth, every week.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Lands end does returns like that. Return it for any reason forever.

And craftsman is back to lifetime guarantee on hand tools.  It is worded," if for any reason you aren't satisfied". So it doesn't even technically have to be broken. I used to work there, only people I hated working with were flea marketer, who brought in rusty 60 year old tools, slap full five gallon buckets worth, every week.

good to know, I have a 3/8ths drive I need to have replaced.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I gotta try to get in bafo da lok

ETA 4 and 53  

Thanks for the heads up Speed.

I would say nice things about REI, but I have not been there in a long while.
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
There is an assumption at rei that you are paying extra for a no bs guarantee. It's built into the price. .

I think this is the crux of the matter.  Do i personally feel REI's old  policy is retarded?  You bet.  One look on the return sale shelf, where you see shoes with no tread left, etc.  However, REI had that cost figured into their numbers, great policy leading to sales vs. eating costs on returned items.  At some point, probably this year by the sound of it, that number turned from black to red.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If I paid $1000 for a piece of gear which I have and it failed after 4 years you wouldn't catch me trying to return it like a douche after 4 years. You bought it, you used it, you got 4 years out of it, who knows how hard you were on it? Of course you'll say you weren't.  It's abuse of their policy

Massive leaps of judgement aside, REI has a defense for this, they know your return habits, easily tracked with your "membership" number, by any dolt at the register.  I have no idea if Speed's return is legit or not, nor do I really care.  Going off of the little info I heard, it could have worked like this: Speed tripped a flag somehow, be it cost of item, age of item, frequency of returns, some combination of these and/or other variables.  This is why the employee wanted the manager, easily remedied with management's approval, it gives REI a chance if they do have a problem "returner" to address it, and perhaps discourage less than ideal returns.  Co-op aside they are a business, business is not black and white, it is varying shades of gray.  When a company has a return policy like that, they are going to have "all kinds" of returns, they need a better mechanism than a part-time hourly employee guarding the gates.  

Sooo...manager shows up, is he encouraged to give up the ship? Or just enough to keep the customer happy? I would bet on just enough, as they are a for profit organization.  If however the "member" is real problem returner, for whatever reason, REI can catch that person at the cash drawer and discourage future business with them.  I would guess Speeds return was probably okay, but old so the manager had to be called in, just my guess.

Also, I bet they don't feel the sting that much, they probably write those returns off at tax time and then recoup some of the $ back at next year's "garage sale" or what ever they call it.

Also, I don't think Northface gear is what it once was.  Nor Marmot.  Columbia has bought Mountain Hardwear, and much like the Chrysler Mercedes union of years ago, the cheap on got better, and the high line brand got worse.  Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I wore it hiking a few times, but mostly as a casual jacket to work....indoors The elbows didn't wear out, but several holes formed on one sleeve...like the fleece part on top of the lining wore away. It just didn't hold up.

Speed

You prolly jus got some bugs in your house eatin your stuff...

I did too til I got me some dogs to eat the bugs! (now my shoes get chewed up instead of the shirts)

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The hell it does!

Survival of the CLOTHING!

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

God almighty, on the spectrum of abusing a return policy, this doesn't even make the chart.  REI's policy covers him regardless of what the situation is or how you perceive it, it's calculated into their bottom line.  

And please for the sake of this forum, please keep posting the way you do in that charming way, because I'd like to see the likes of you (which BTW holy jebus I swear you guys are multiplying by the day around here) escorted off the premises.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top