Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2013 3:58:00 PM EDT
Hey guys, I was recently snagging a few first aid items from one of the Israeli guys on fleabay. I saw he had some Taharmayim (Israeli water purification pills) and figured I would add some to my order because they were so cheap.

My main bug out/short term outdoor survival gear, contains a Katadyn my bottle for emergency hydration, but I thought these might be a good lightweight plan B.

These things any good? (I think these ones are chlorine as opposed to iodine type)

Taste like a pool really bad?

Anybody ever use them?

Says in the instructions that they are good for anything from tapwater, to water with fecal matter contained in it. (also for soaking questionable veggies, and as a first aid wound care solution/compress)

For the price, I figured what the hell, but what do you guys think.......worth adding to my gear?

Iodine/ commercial ones better?

Any help/info appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Total waste of money. Use normal chlorine bleach without colors/perfumes/additives.

A quick table you can print and tape to bottles of bleach:

You can use lower concentration bleach by simply adjusting the table according to the concentration.
For example I use Sno-EE bleach from Big Lots which is 3% chlorine bleach solution, so I use 1 teaspoon (about a cap full, or tie a teaspoon to your bleach bottles) per 5gal jug. $1.50 gets me 128oz of 3% bleach, which totals 768 teaspoons, or 3840gal of clean drinking water. And it has tons of other uses!

I doubt those overpriced tablets will be more cost effective or useful.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Problem with bleach?  Shelf life.

I have no idea about the Israeli stuff.

Pool shock is where it is at.  BUT!!!  IT MUST NOT HAVE THE ALGAE KILLING STUFF OR ANYTHING ELSE "BAD" IN IT.
I'll leave that up to you to look into.  I honestly don't remember what brand I stocked up and sealed away in mason jars and smaller vials for such needs.
granular calcium hypochlorite is what you are after, nothing else in it.  Shelf life I THINK is dang near indefinite if kept properly.

http://water.epa.gov/drink/emerprep/emergencydisinfection.cfm
You can use granular calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water.
Add and dissolve one heaping teaspoon of high-test granular calcium hypochlorite (approximately ¼ ounce) for each two gallons of water, or 5 milliliters (approximately 7 grams) per 7.5 liters of water. The mixture will produce a stock chlorine solution of approximately 500 milligrams per liter, since the calcium hypochlorite has available chlorine equal to 70 percent of its weight. To disinfect water, add the chlorine solution in the ratio of one part of chlorine solution to each 100 parts of water to be treated. This is roughly equal to adding 1 pint (16 ounces) of stock chlorine to each 12.5 gallons of water or (approximately ½ liter to 50 liters of water) to be disinfected. To remove any objectionable chlorine odor, aerate the disinfected water by pouring it back and forth from one clean container to another.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:03:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys.

These were only a buck for five, I got 10, so I have next to nothing in them.

I guess some people put bleach in the sealed straws, in their kits as an alternative to tabs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top