BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hang a picture on the wall or something!  We NEED updates.

(A lot of us are living vicariously through your efforts, thank you)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any news?

Nothing new yet.

Hang a picture on the wall or something!  We NEED updates.

(A lot of us are living vicariously through your efforts, thank you)

Lol, thanks!

It'll be another week until I'll be out there again. The elevated platform for the water tank will be the main focus. I take pics and keep y'all posted!
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]
just read through your build, looks awesome.  you really made the last hour of work go by quick lol.

i want to do the same one day.  more of camping and getting away place than a BOL.  but i guess it would nice to have the option if i needed a BOL.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
just read through your build, looks awesome.  you really made the last hour of work go by quick lol.

i want to do the same one day.  more of camping and getting away place than a BOL.  but i guess it would nice to have the option if i needed a BOL.
View Quote

You gotta go do it brother! It's been an awesome experience that i'll never forget.

You know, originally it was gonna be the BOL. That's it. But it's now been re-titled as a possible retirement home, family weekend getaway, financial investment, hunting shack, guy's weekend getaway location, etc.

Just do it!
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You gotta go do it brother! It's been an awesome experience that i'll never forget.

You know, originally it was gonna be the BOL. That's it. But it's now been re-titled as a possible retirement home, family weekend getaway, financial investment, hunting shack, guy's weekend getaway location, etc.

Just do it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just do it!

Hey, Aare...I've already decided when it's time to get a loan for a second property, I'm just going to print this thread and bring it to the loan officer.  If he doesn't shake my hand with tears in his eyes and a quivering jaw, I'll sack tap him and spill his paperclips.  I'm only 31; just bought my "forever home", have a 21 month old son and another child on the way in 5 weeks.  This thread has helped me plan for, set a goal, and map out a second property that will be mine in the next four years.  June 2018 or bust.

This thread and soldierman are golden inspiration.

Hey soldierman; perhaps when this property is "closer to being done" (understanding it's an ongoing process), and/or you've "retired", consider writing a book.  You can publish digitally (via Amazon and the like) for pretty much free.  Your experiences, following of droolers, and style of writing would certainly land you quite a few readers.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hey, Aare...I've already decided when it's time to get a loan for a second property, I'm just going to print this thread and bring it to the loan officer.  If he doesn't shake my hand with tears in his eyes and a quivering jaw, I'll sack tap him and spill his paperclips.  I'm only 31; just bought my "forever home", have a 21 month old son and another child on the way in 5 weeks.  This thread has helped me plan for, set a goal, and map out a second property that will be mine in the next four years.  June 2018 or bust.

This thread and soldierman are golden inspiration.

Hey soldierman; perhaps when this property is "closer to being done" (understanding it's an ongoing process), and/or you've "retired", consider writing a book.  You can publish digitally (via Amazon and the like) for pretty much free.  Your experiences, following of droolers, and style of writing would certainly land you quite a few readers.
View Quote

Dude, way too kind! Seriously!

I will seriously consider the book. I talked to the little wifey about it (she's the brains of the outfit) and she thinks it's an awesome idea. Thanks again man!
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I will seriously consider the book. I talked to the little wifey about it (she's the brains of the outfit) and she thinks it's an awesome idea. Thanks again man!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
SNIP

Don't thank me.  I'm just here for the contact high.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#7]
We got started on the water tank platform this weekend. If anyone was curious, railroad ties are friggin heavy! A lot!

We got another load of treated rail road lumber and loaded up the trailer.
Then, the real work began. We broke out the trusty pick-axe and started breaking Texas hill country soil. Damn near killed us!

Once the holes were dug, we started sinking ties. We originally started placing them vertically, plumb, level. But, we changed our minds and decided, for strength, to cant the base of the ties outward equally for anti-sway.

Everything got nailed together with 6" galvanized nails, then we went back and secured everything with lag bolts.

At the end of the day, we were wore out from man-handling railroad timber. So we cracked open a cold one and climbed on it like a jungle gym.

Next trip we'll add the center tie, finish the supports, chainsaw off the excess ties and start laying decking.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy shit that looks like a piece of work.  I bet that beer tasted awesome!
Did the creosote still stink or was it old stuff?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Holy shit that looks like a piece of work.  I bet that beer tasted awesome!
Did the creosote still stink or was it old stuff?
View Quote

Yep, they still smelled. When we lag bolted or nailed through them, some seeped a bit. Hope they last a long, long time!

Oh yea! That cold brew went down very nice.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks great!

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Chainsaw would help speed up cutting and would have made notching in those top cross pieces an option vs relying on the shear of the bolts.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Chainsaw would help speed up cutting and would have made notching in those top cross pieces an option vs relying on the shear of the bolts.
View Quote

Not a bad idea. At the very minimum i'll notch for the center beam when I install it. I may go back and do all of them now.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Really making me want to buy land, It's really coming along.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Slowly, but surely.

I'm trying to make it out there this weekend. I'm pretty motivated to finish that water tank platform!

As far as buying land...just do it! The cost for the land payment each month is about what my weekend fishing trip money was before I started building.
I don't even miss those funds anymore. My families bills are all paid, we eat wonderfully, kids still get their allowance, wifey still gets her fun money.

You can do it. Go over your finances. Be honest with yourself about what you want versus what you need.
Seriously, just do it bro!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:24:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just happen to have 9 or 10 acres in New York....
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#16]
This thread is full of WIN !  

Keep up the good work
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Slowly, but surely.

I'm trying to make it out there this weekend. I'm pretty motivated to finish that water tank platform!

As far as buying land...just do it! The cost for the land payment each month is about what my weekend fishing trip money was before I started building.
I don't even miss those funds anymore. My families bills are all paid, we eat wonderfully, kids still get their allowance, wifey still gets her fun money.

You can do it. Go over your finances. Be honest with yourself about what you want versus what you need.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slowly, but surely.

I just paid off my house,  and paid off the rest of my wife's school. I've been looking at land and have some cash put away for it. At the ripe age of 26 I think I'll have it in a year or two
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I know I am late to the game, but 4" of closed cell foam sprayed under your roof would go a REALLY long way to minimize heat gain. If you could also caulk, foam other gaps to seal it up, the small ac unit could be very effective. And then just use a large ceiling fan to circulate air for comfort. The more passive things you can add now will help the active (solar) system you plan to add later.

Might even want to put some 1/2"  XPS foam (the pink 4x8 sheets) on the south and west interior wall. An ultra sealed box with a small AC would work well in your area.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I know I am late to the game, but 4" of closed cell foam sprayed under your roof would go a REALLY long way to minimize heat gain. If you could also caulk, foam other gaps to seal it up, the small ac unit could be very effective. And then just use a large ceiling fan to circulate air for comfort. The more passive things you can add now will help the active (solar) system you plan to add later.

Might even want to put some 1/2"  XPS foam (the pink 4x8 sheets) on the south and west interior wall. An ultra sealed box with a small AC would work well in your area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I bet that would also serve to cut down on the noise from rain on that roof.  Tin roofs have to be louder than hell during a rainstorm.

Sounds good to me. I'll have to do some research on how it all works. Is it sprayed from a hopper like ceiling texture and the like?
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#21]
There are a few DIY kits. A popular one has 2 tanks with 2 hoses that mix to make foam at the nozzle/gun. Its much like the Great Stuff foam (which is open cell). You want closed cell. It wont dry up and flake off.

foam specs/companies here

General Sect 7 - thermal protection here.

Building "specs" are broken up in divisions. "Master Spec" is the industry standard. Divisions: 0-49 The old style was 0-16 and has been phased out. Division 7 should have everything you want to know about insulation and types. Hope I didnt go all architect/engineer on you.

I love your project and hope to add helpful criticism. Insulation and a seal building envelope is key to building out there. For future projects, you may want to look at thermal mass for wall design. Works great in the dry/hot texas climate.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Personally,
I like the sound of rain on the metal roof.

But, I also put solid decking and felt under the metal.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Great job OP.

I lived in Wimberley for a while and miss the Hill Country..beautiful area!!

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Great job OP.

I lived in Wimberley for a while and miss the Hill Country..beautiful area!!  
View Quote

Thanks! I do like it out there. Nice and quiet.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 1:21:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Personally,
I like the sound of rain on the metal roof.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I bet that would also serve to cut down on the noise from rain on that roof.  Tin roofs have to be louder than hell during a rainstorm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know I am late to the game, but 4" of closed cell foam sprayed under your roof would go a REALLY long way to minimize heat gain.

There's an unspoken comfort given from the sound of rain on a tin roof that only those who grew up with it could understand.  The rare thunderstorm in our locale is a welcome old friend, never overstaying his welcome and sojourning away long enough until we begin missing him again before he makes his return.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 2:48:10 AM EDT
[#27]
soldierman79: Impressive, if I get back to your area I will sign off your 12B job book. I may be able to assist with the neighbor as ATF made me get a Explosives Manufacturing License for what I did with JIEDDO and as long as we use what we make each day we don't even have to fill out any paperwork.   The CUT-V was a nice touch also.  Very well done.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 2:50:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
soldierman79 Impressive, if I get back to your area I will sign off you 12B job book. I may be able to assist with the neighbor as ATF made me get a Explosives Manufacturing License for what I did with JIEDDO and as long as we use what we make each day we don't even have to fill out any paperwork.   The CUT-V was a nice touch also.  Very well done.
View Quote

waaaaaat
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 6:27:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

waaaaaat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
soldierman79 Impressive, if I get back to your area I will sign off you 12B job book. I may be able to assist with the neighbor as ATF made me get a Explosives Manufacturing License for what I did with JIEDDO and as long as we use what we make each day we don't even have to fill out any paperwork.   The CUT-V was a nice touch also.  Very well done.

waaaaaat

Means a hook up and a very loud fuck off.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, thanks brother. I may take you up on it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Got out there last weekend. Started off by chainsawing off the excess timber.

Just taking a quick beer break, enjoying the breeze.

Notched the railroad ties as suggested by kallnojoy (thanks for the great idea). The chainsaw made quick work of this chore.

Here's my buddy lag-bolting the rest of the cross support beams.

Work was temporarily paused to enjoy a fat tire in the shade. You just gotta enjoy the little things.

Here I am starting on the center support railroad tie. Space was cramped, so it was up to me with my scrawny ass skills.

Went to crank the chainsaw and the rip cord, well...ripped. Oh well, at least I still had the sawzall to finish with.

The center beam notched and in place.

My bud's notching the other side with the sawzall.

Frame's done!

Getting some sun.

Started with the decking. Super pumped at this point!

She's decked!

Some of the lumber still has railroad steel poking through, so I had to whip out the grinder to cut it out.

Next trip we'll be putting the tank up on the platform and starting on getting her all plumbed in. Gutters and piping to the tank will be easy. First flow diverter, sight gauge and all that jazz. Plumbing it under the cabin and to the secondary containment tank will take some planning.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the photo updates.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Nicely done!
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#34]
It's looking good.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#35]
One of my favorite threads. Always love the pics of the progress. Nice work.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Any updates?
View Quote

Nah, not recently. I really need to get out there again. Uncle Sam changed my job and I have been working some ungodly hours. Just catching up on rest on the weekends.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#38]
You've inspired me to buy buy land, we're going to look at 50 acres this weekend
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You've inspired me to buy buy land, we're going to look at 50 acres this weekend
View Quote

Nice! Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

PS: Don't forget to share some pics! (i like pics)
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#40]
No more theft issues?
I'm planning on building a cabin with my father soon.
I'm also going to cut 40 foot telephone poles in half, and sink them 8 feet into the found and build a log wall around it over time.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No more theft issues?
I'm planning on building a cabin with my father soon.
I'm also going to cut 40 foot telephone poles in half, and sink them 8 feet into the found and build a log wall around it over time.
View Quote

None since I confronted the neighboring property owner while he was exploring my place.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Your cabin looks nice, great job! Looking forward to seeing more updates.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There's an unspoken comfort given from the sound of rain on a tin roof that only those who grew up with it could understand.  The rare thunderstorm in our locale is a welcome old friend, never overstaying his welcome and sojourning away long enough until we begin missing him again before he makes his return.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know I am late to the game, but 4" of closed cell foam sprayed under your roof would go a REALLY long way to minimize heat gain.

some of my best memories and sleeping occured under such a roof. not to mentioned a nice sleet storm.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't take any pics , the land was in a flood zone so it was a no go. I did have fun pulling the guys truck out when he got stuck lol
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I didn't take any pics , the land was in a flood zone so it was a no go. I did have fun pulling the guys truck out when he got stuck lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bummer. Keep on looking man, you'll find a keeper. It took me a while before I found this one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#46]

And as always:
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I guess I did forget the important stuff.

I am guessing your son will treasure this knife more than anything you could ever purchase him!

Rifle is a Remington Model 597 .22 and the knife he's wearing is handmade by yours truly. Elk handle from a little 5x5 I shot in Colorado years ago, blade is a hand forged carbon steel blade and the guard is made of a Mexican Peso coin.
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20130120_203939_zps1068c048.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20130120_204003_zps65231f88.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had another fun weekend at the cabin. Got the boys together for some shooting, hunting and some cowboy cooking. Great times had by everyone.

My son is the only one who actually shot any game!
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20130120_090500_zps708b4c93.jpg

You know that we need to know the specs on his gun.

Is that a knife on his hip?

I guess I did forget the important stuff.

I am guessing your son will treasure this knife more than anything you could ever purchase him!

Rifle is a Remington Model 597 .22 and the knife he's wearing is handmade by yours truly. Elk handle from a little 5x5 I shot in Colorado years ago, blade is a hand forged carbon steel blade and the guard is made of a Mexican Peso coin.
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20130120_203939_zps1068c048.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20130120_204003_zps65231f88.jpg

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#48]
That mail truck brought me some boxes. I wonder what's in them?

100w solar panel with charge controller and a 12v 35ah solar battery. Controller can handle up to 400 watts of panels, so I can add panels and batteries when it's time.

For now, it'll be running some LED lights, a radio and a fan. Gonna get my feet wet with the small set-up for now to learn the in's and out's of solar.

Ok, I'm not gonna lie. I'm pretty damn excited to set up my first solar panel and to have a little power at the cabin!
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Good deal on adding the solar.  Sound and lights are good.  Looking forward to more pics as you make more progress.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Any news?
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top