Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2012 2:44:33 PM EDT
I'm currently planning on leaving my generator running in my (detached) shop, and feeding the house from there.  This will keep the generator out of the elements, and the insulation in the shop should lessen the noise significantly.  In addition, it'll be more secure.  

However, I'm needing to get the exhaust routed out of the shop.  I'm looking for a source for 1" to 1.5" flexible exhaust pipe.  I've found several sources of 1" or so sections online, but I'm looking for something closer to 6' or so.  Any ideas?

Link Posted: 11/28/2012 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
you need to take the 1.5" and expand it up to 3" ID
so you won't restrict flow

keeping the exhaust flow at the same size of the muffler is a bad idea if you run it over a few feet

too much back pressure might be created

what you need is something like the heavy duty, metal dryer exhaust hose only smaller

check out these guys

Link Posted: 11/28/2012 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

keeping the exhaust flow at the same size of the muffler is a bad idea if you run it over a few feet

what you need is something like the heavy duty, metal dryer exhaust hose only smaller  

check out these guys

The current exhaust outlet diameter is 1", so the 1.5" is already taking it up.  Is 1" to 3" necessary?

Link Posted: 11/28/2012 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Tractor supply has small flexible exhaust tubing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I have my generator in my garage and run it in there.  I have it on a pad about 4 inches from the wall.  I have installed a copper drier vent right where the exhaust is. Works fine the exhaust blows right out the vent and the generator runs fine.  One note I do have a 1000 sq foot garage with 12 foot ceilings so that is a factor.  The generator does heat up the room pretty good.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Local muffler shop?
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Summit racing
advanced auto
auto zone
Ryderfleetproducts
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#8]
How about running the exhaust into a corrigated stainless tube [like a large size of the gas lines] or just into a tube like chain link top support fence pipe?

As soon as the heat is reduced, use a Fernco and transition to PVC pipe in the next larger diameter.

Done.

[Flex copper tubing that's corrigated for connecting hot water heaters] would be a quick way to make a semi-flexible connection to cheaper and larger dia pipe. Maybe use 2 pieces.

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 3:14:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

check out these guys

The current exhaust outlet diameter is 1", so the 1.5" is already taking it up. Is 1" to 3" necessary?

I just re-read your post and if you are only going 6 feet then you won't need 3" for sure

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 4:42:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I got mine at autozone
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#11]
You can get the good stainless flexible exhaust pipe at a local truck parts store.  

Think heavy truck parts...
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd simply install a duct fan in the wall, and position the genny to blow the exhaust that way. Power the fan with the genny. Done. The beauty of this idea is the the exhaust fan will draw air from outside the garage, so any buildup of CO will not be much.

This also may help ameliorate any noise issue - the exhaust not actually being ducted to the outside, put-put-putting away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top