Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2012 6:40:27 AM EDT
This is a list of much used gear during my week with no power in NYC.

Multitool
Flashlights (assorted)
Generator
Gas cans/funnels
Butane stove
Propane BBQ
Lighters
Matches
G19
870 with SF light
4 Bassett hounds
MREs
Cooler
Bottled water and stored water in jugs.
Oil radiator heater
Ramen soup
Pocket knife
Cordless drill
car inverter
Batteries (assorted)

Having this stuff prior to the storm made my life a hell of alot easier. So if you don't have any of this, get it.

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:46:47 AM EDT
[#1]
You used your G19 and 870?
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:49:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes I did I had both with me at all times. Thus using them....
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:50:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah...I do not want to know what you USED the hounds for...?
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Gotta take care of those pesky looters
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sex of course. What do you use your hounds for weirdo?
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:09:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You stick them under the covers at night.  They will keep you toasty warm. I do the same with my Dachshunds.  That is what you meant OP, right?  Right?   Ummm....I don't want to know.

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You stick them under the covers at night.  They will keep you toasty warm. I do the same with my Dachshunds.  That is what you meant OP, right?  Right?   Ummm....I don't want to know.

Yes that's it warmth sure...
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#8]
How much fuel did you go through?
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:28:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How much fuel did you go through?

20 gals for the Genny give or take but I was rationing and mainly ran it at night

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems at least a few folks know where "Three Dog Night" got their name.

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems at least a few folks know where "Three Dog Night" got their name.

Learned something new, again.  

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#12]
How much water you go through? Mainly drinking or cooking?
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad you made it though okay NYC-M4

Did you have any security issues or prying eyes staring lovingly at your generator?
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sex of course. What do you use your hounds for weirdo?

Have you met DK-Prof?
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Those dogs are little kibble powered heaters to keep your room warm while you sleep.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#16]
A whole new reason to stock up on gas

link
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How much water you go through? Mainly drinking or cooking?

Luckily we had running water. Prior to the storm I had 40 gals stored-
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Glad you made it though okay NYC-M4

Did you have any security issues or prying eyes staring lovingly at your generator?

We had a couple of cars broken into and a home invasion around the corner. The hounds kept goblins away. I was also walking around with my 870 in my yard at night. I had the gennychained to an iron fence.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Was there anything that made you say, "Damn I wish I would have stocked more of this."
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 12:30:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Im 95 north of you just in CT. If shit gets too weird let me know. we are G19 and dog friendly lol plus gas is much easier to come by up this way if you need any let me know.

BTW what are you using your portable oil radiator for if you have a generator on hand? Why not hook up your furnace?
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 1:48:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Warmth for what?
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 4:26:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Im 95 north of you just in CT. If shit gets too weird let me know. we are G19 and dog friendly lol plus gas is much easier to come by up this way if you need any let me know.

BTW what are you using your portable oil radiator for if you have a generator on hand? Why not hook up your furnace?

Why convert gas to electric and back to heat?  Little buddy heaters work far more efficiently. I think the OP should check them out.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 4:30:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Was there anything that made you say, "Damn I wish I would have stocked more of this."

Gas. I had some stored but I will stock more.Its difficult though my house is small and all I have is a shed I bought a deck box with a lock but its not going to prevent theft.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 4:32:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I agree BUT Im a moron with tools and I wouldve blown myself up. And finding someone to come in right now is a bit tough. Im also looking to sell my house so Im not really looking to starting projects.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 4:33:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why convert gas to electric and back to heat?  Little buddy heaters work far more efficiently. I think the OP should check them out.

I have a lil Buddy up in my BOL but I couldnt get it due to the gas shortage. Stores here are out of everything.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 4:34:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thank you for the offer I apprecite it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 5:02:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Know this.

Despite being uncomfortable & inconvenienced (to say the least), YOU WERE PREPARED!

You put yourself light years ahead of your neighbors.

Well done.   You have my admiration.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 5:24:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a lil Buddy up in my BOL but I couldnt get it due to the gas shortage. Stores here are out of everything.

Interesting lesson right there.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Furnance!
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Thank you for the list I'm just getting started in the prep mindset but seeing things you actually used really helps to get a starting point and then go to the bigger less often used things
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top