Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2012 2:52:25 AM EDT
I got one of these after I moved. The Dogos Argentino are banned here so that wasnt an option, so I started looking for a medium-small sized, strong dog. I wanted one that would bark if he notices anything strange, territorial and somewhat disencourage anyone thinking of jumping into our back yard, but I didnt want a big mean dog, especially not a huge one that eats like a horse and ruins the grass with each step it takes. Its not that easy to find that middle point between small enough yet intimidating enough. Well, I couldnt be happier with the English Bull Terrier. Its smart as hell, good with the kids, almost nanny behavior with my 3 year in spite of being just 7 months ol himself. Pretty strong too. I gave him one of those dry cow femur bones with a few chumcks of meat, he ripped the cartilage right  off and swallowed it after a couple bites, by the next morning he had broken the bone and grinded most of it to dust, ate most of it and just left a few bits and the femur ends which he's still chewing on.
It does require a strong alpha "pack leader" owner and it could be dangeorus if handled like a spoiled lap dog, but all in all, a dog I would recommend!
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 3:06:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Never play tug-o-war with them. Bad habit for a dog with such incredible jaw strength.
They are awsome dogs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 4:24:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I call mine a BULL TERRIER. He is as sweet as sugar, super with everything, kids, other dogs, cats, and visitors such as mail etc. I have never heard him growl in anger. In spite of this I believe he would defend his family to the death.

I usually don't describe mine as being smart but every so often he surprises me. A lot of BT people describe them as a "clown in a dog suit" and I would concur. His personality is awesome and he cracks me up, sometimes just looking at him. He is a bit of a celebrity to those who have been acquainted with him. His tolerance is only exceeded by his single-mindedness.

We love him very much and there will be a HUGE hole in our lives when that inevitable day comes along.

Enjoy your Bully!

Here's Chester:

Link Posted: 7/29/2012 4:24:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice dog you have there, love that egg shaped head!

Quoted:
Never play tug-o-war with them. Bad habit for a dog with such incredible jaw strength.
They are awsome dogs.

Yes, the head is like 50% of their body weight.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's a couple pics of Spikey, still very much a goofy puppy but he barks nicely when he hears noises and does not like strange people or animals in his territory.

FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Very Cute!

Enjoy
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They are awsome dogs.

I have always played tug o war with my dogs, every one of them.  Our Rottie weighed 145lbs, our American Staffordshire terrier/Bull-mastiff mix was about 130lbs in her prime (shes an old crotchety 95 lbs now), and our current White Pit Bull Terrier who is pushing 65lbs as an 18 month old.  Never had any issues playing tug o war with any of them.  The jaw strength of any one of them was staggering, but it was never an issue.  they knew it was playtime, and they knew their standing in the pack hierarchy.  Our Rott could splinter through the big costco rawhide rolls without softening them up first, as soon as we gave her one, she would use brute strength to crush it in half and go bury half of it in the back of her yard.  I have never seen jaw strength like that!

To FerFal, I've always wanted a Bull Terrier.  They seem like great dogs. Having owned Staffs and AmStaffs and true Pit Bull Terriers, you can see the differences in personality that the Bull Terrier brings to the table.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
To FerFal, I've always wanted a Bull Terrier.  They seem like great dogs. Having owned Staffs and AmStaffs and true Pit Bull Terriers, you can see the differences in personality that the Bull Terrier brings to the table.

I'm very happy with it, one of the smartest dogs I've owned. This was a pleasant surprise after owning a jack russell terrier who was very hard to work with. Good little hunters though, those Jack Russells kill rats and birds all day long if you let them. The English Bull Terrier reminds me a bit of the Dogo Argentino. Maybe the Dogo isnt as needy and playfull, even as a puppy it has a "serious" character while the Bull likes goofing around more. Overal a beautiful personality.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had a few and they are truly great dogs.  Wonderful personalities, funny with lotws of charachter and absolutley fearless if need be.  They really don't feel pain and will let kids twist and pull at them without reacting.  Love children and got along with our cats great too.  They do tend to have skin problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top