Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2012 11:28:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you ever looked into graywater systems to handle the washer, kitchen sink, etc.?
We had septic troubles in my old fixer-upper too.  Before we got it fixed up, we ran the washer into a big plastic trash can that had a filter and hose fitting installed in the bottom.  Ran that through a garden hose outside (trash can acted as a reservoir while the hose trickled the water out) into some flower beds.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#2]
A few years back we were having issues with our septic system.

Had a guy come in and put in an estimate for removing and replacing the leech field sand layer.

I came home to find a back yard that looked like a bomb had gone off. The entire system was dug up,a tree had been cut down, and he wanted 4 x the original quote

Then when I wouldn't pay, he took his equipment and left.

What a mess that experience was.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#4]
My father owns an excavation company and has been installing/ using Infiltrator style leach fields for over the past 10 years.  That's all he will use now, unless of course some one really wants the old pipe style.  I have worked on several jobs where we put those in and they do work great, go in fast and easy...  Those leach field systems last a lot longer then the old style.  
Typing this reminds me of my teen age days... stacking infiltrators on a truck to go do a job. They are a bitch to carry around and finger pinchers
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for your troubles TJ,

Benefits of home ownership

Glad things turned out right.

I know nothing of septic systems, we had one installed when we moved out to our property and I took photos of the installation.

I am glad to see that our system is a chamber system.

I remember thinking at the time that the leachfield tubes "looked huge" to me.

As an aside,
the septic guy was the only contractor we used that completed his work for exactly what he quoted us.
Everybody else ran into "problems" which drove the price up.

Link Posted: 5/3/2012 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I bet that you never thought that all this shit results from...shit.

Actually what clogs 'em up over time is soap.  Soap breaks down into a greasy gray sludge and gums everything up.  Problem soils like yours should have a grease trap and drywell to disperse the gray water., saves a lot of load on the drain field.

Glad to see you found a guy who does repairs instead of just new systems.  Big problem with residential construction is that there's not much money in repair, money is made in installing the same cookie cutter Chinese blueprint septic system for every job,  regardless of the situation.  Seen the same thing with electricians, plumbers, HVAC system guys, etc.  

Glad you got it squared away.

Ops
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have that kind of problem but I do rarely get a weather related issue.

Every once in a decade or so we'll have a lot of snow, frozen ground, anda really warm spell.  The snow melts, the first foot or so of ground super-satuates and water will sit on top of the frozen ground beneath.  In other words, we end up with a very temporary but incredibly high water table, one that is above my septic.  The septic thent starts running in reverse, trying to drain all the surface water back into by tank.  Thank GOD my whole house plumbing system is above the septic by a substantial margin other wise I can picture all that crap backflowing.  Not good.  

I'm in a rural area.  There is nothing 'down hill ' of my home.  And in a typical winter the local dairy farmers are flinging chunks of solid shit or spraying liquid shit on fields by the ton.  Literally.  So my redneck solution is simple:  One submersible pump, 100 feet of garden hose used for NOTHING else, and one extension cord. A quick call to the septic pumper tuck people results in all the solids cleared out.  The damned tank will refill in a couple hours wit ground water, so in goes the pump, and all this grround water gets a surface run down hill to the farm fields already covered in 36 metric tons of cow shit.  legal  I doubt it.  But when SHTF its 'adapt and overcome".  

Link Posted: 5/3/2012 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Infiltrators for the win.

Another thing to watch for is septic "engineers".

I have put in two septic systems for houses I have built.

The most recent one is unbelievably huge.  It has 12 lines, each 50 feet long of infiltrators.

I looked in the phone book and called to find a "septic engineer".  Most of them were pretty busy, but one was a little cheaper and could do it sooner, so I hired her.

Every time I have an inspector or construction guy come out and see my septic system they shake their head and say, "Did Terry design that for you?"  Sure enough, she is crazy, and designs these huge systems the size of which no one has ever seen before.  She is afraid that someone's system is going to stop working some day, so they are designed for a veritable apartment complex.

Stupid me, I just assumed that she knew what she was doing.  Fortunately I did the work myself, but still the infiltrators are not cheap, and it took a lot of time to complete.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, that's the way I'm going when I re-do our system.  About 4 years after I bought our current home I called out the dude to pump out our tank.  I followed the line straight out from the toilet, probed, dug up the cleanout and he pumped it.  A day later I notice the tub backs up.  WTF?  I probe at the house again and find a Y in the line.  I follow it out and find a second tank!  I dig up the cleanout and open the tank.  It is full to the brim with solids.  NASTY!  The septic guy comes out, pumps it and only charges me for his fee to dump.  It took a lot of back washing the laterals to get it working almost correctly.  I think we are about due for a new system.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Is it not possible to separate the gray water from the actual septic water and dispose of it in another way?

We have one toilet in our house (soon to be 2, happier days are coming for this family of 8).  It goes to the septic system.  It is the only thing that goes there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I put in a chamber type leach field for my cabin.  I went directly to the manufacture to purchase and they laughed at me when I tried to buy 100'...talked me in to buying significantly less.  Installation was a breeze and we have never had a problem, even in the wet season.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#14]
TJ, you need to be sure to take pix and draw diagrams of every component and its location of your leech field and septic tank and make copies and put them in various safe places.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 2:13:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Is it not possible to separate the gray water from the actual septic water and dispose of it in another way?

We have one toilet in our house (soon to be 2, happier days are coming for this family of 8).  It goes to the septic system.  It is the only thing that goes there.

Must plumb the house for it but yes

My washer goes to a diff one from everything else

and I put in 2 infiltrator chambers for a sink in the barn

Edit I deliver septic tanks and chambers the 2 i used where damaged and couldn't be sold (free to me)

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 3:42:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 5:26:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 5:46:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Just had my tank pumped yesterday. Pumper guy says my bed is working fine there was just a damn on the fill side of the tank.

Time will tell if he was correct.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#19]
It always pays to shop around, especially when dealing with contractors.
I am currently waiting for my friend to come over with his hoe so we can do some digging on my septic and replace the collapsed outlet pipe leading to the distribution box. I am hoping the field is good but we think the pipe has been crushed since it was installed 25 yrs ago. It helps that the field is 150 yds below the house.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm glad you got things figured out.  We had a similar problem last year.

Septic started backing up.  We had problems before, shortly after we moved in everything from the drains to the tank was replaced.  Dad had a friend who was a plumber and did it cheap as long as I did the digging and helped him out.  So this time I knew it was something in the tank or fields.  I knew this was going to be expensive, dad and his plumber friend are both dead now.  I hadn't recieved a paycheck in several months and we had a couple of other projects going around the farm, so I had to learn all about septic systems.

Like you I found a good ole boy who ran an excavating company.  He told me about the PVC chamber system and how to install it, said he'd set up several of them and they all worked very well.  So I bought a a bunch of the chambers, some PVC and a "D" box and rented an excavator from the construction company down the road from me.  I had it knocked out in a couple of weeks ( the system was only down for two days) and it cost me about $1000.  Compared to the $5000 the plumbers wanted to put in new fields.

The problem with the old system was that when they replaced the old concrete tiles in the fields with new plastic no baffle was installed in the tank.  So because a $3 piece of plastic wasn't originally installed it cost me $1000.  I would like to meet the bastard that left out that baffle.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:54:47 AM EDT
[#22]
My parents neighbor put in a chamber system like that when they built their house.  Works great.

One thing our family has learned over the years after building several houses, is to double the field line footage required when putting in a new system.  Its a lot cheaper to just put it in up front than dig it up later.

Another thing that helps (if you can) is to get the washing machine off your blackwater septic.  Put in a second small tank/lines or simply dump it on the ground if you have enough acreage and the local inspectors don't care.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Glad you found someone who knew what the hell he was doing.  

#1 as you said, those old field lines will recover after they rest for 9-12 months.    
#2 infiltrator systems ROCK.   I just had one installed.  

As for my suggestions to you...... Take your laundry water, and shower water, and build another mini septic system. 55 gallon drum, and some french drain material from lowes.     That way your Water, and Soap from washing your clothes, and ass does not fill up the true septic system, and your poop water has plenty of time to leech out, and relax.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Wow. This is a timely thread. My septic was pumped last week and the driver told me it failed. It was obvious to me that he may be right. I hired a septic inspector to confirm this. He came out with my "as built" plans from the county and dug up two inspection holes. Both hit standing water and black stones about two feet under my lawn. The stones were grey eight years ago when the system was new. He said bacteria grew and clogged the ground below the pipes.

I had the county inspector out yesterday along with another contractor to dig up my yard for a "perk test". They excavated two pits next to my leach field. The leach field walls just burst open into the pits and all of the effluent that had been trapped underground and standing in the lines flowed into the pits. The only good news is that the ground is still sandy and absorbed the water just fine. It "perked" so no engineered field fix for me. The county says these two pits will relieve my underground hydraulic pressure and buy me a few days to get on repairs.

FWIW, we are "good septic" users. Nothing goes into the system that shouldn't. Our wash goes into it because it has to around here.

OP, I plan to research the system you mentioned to see if I can use it here. The county's solution idea is similar to yours and I heard the same thing from him yesterday about keeping the old field, resting it, and using it as a backup in the future.

He is going to design and permit me for a leach bed instead of a drain field. He is strongly suggesting that I excavate about two extra feet down and remove my very fine sand and replace it with about two feet of extra coarse sand to allow for more infiltration. From everything I've read online, that seems like a good idea.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting bids from contractors to do this type of work. I'm already afraid of getting fleeced because I don't know the right questions to ask.

BTW, I have failed field pics if anyone is interested!
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

I wish I could get my gray water separated from black and run it somewhere else, but that isnt feasible at our place.  All of our plumbing is set into the slab and the laundry room is in the absolute middle of the house.

OP,
we had septic issues last year.  Got probably a dozen quotes, ranging from $7,500 to $35,000 to fix it.  Finally called out a guy who said he wanted to do some "exploration" with a small backhoe.  Said he needed to see what was going on before he said what needed to be replaced.  I liked his attitude, so I let him have at it for a bit, what he found shocked the hell out of us.

If you look at our septic diagram from the county, we have 5 leech lines that are 90' long and spaced 25' apart.  When he started digging, he found out that only 1 of the lines had been hooked up originally (30 years ago), 2 others had rock, but no pipe leading to them and the other two were never put in.  He said that the county was fairly famous for taking money in bribes to sign off half done systems in the early 80's.  Crappy, right?

So, he built a pair of new leech lines, one going in the path of one of the missing original lines, and one that crossed over the two lines that were never hooked up, giving us essentially three lines with a 4th crossing them.  All this for $3,000 and a bottle of scotch, which I think was a freaking great deal, especially considering our lines are 11' down and 7' high, so they were digging down 18'.  

Lesson learned, trust your gut.  Keep looking until you get a good feeling from someone.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:48:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I haven't read the whole thread yet so maybe this has been mentioned. I have been reading about introducing Aerobic bacteria into your septic system. You have to use an air pump with a bubbler to feed the aerobic bacteria. On paper it seem to make sense. I think I may try it on my dry well that has been acting up
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I haven't read the whole thread yet so maybe this has been mentioned. I have been reading about introducing Aerobic bacteria into your septic system. You have to use an air pump with a bubbler to feed the aerobic bacteria. On paper it seem to make sense. I think I may try it on my dry well that has been acting up

Zeekh,

I read about these as well. When I met with the excavator and county inspector, neither thought much of them but for different reasons. The inspector has been at it over 15 years and I'd guess has a degree or two. His position is that the science is sound, but that he has not seen a controlled or scientific study that independently supports the manufacturer's claims. On the other hand, the working man was 41 and has been digging ditches since he was 14. He said if they worked as well as claimed, everyone would install them. Neither guy seemed to think it would be a long term solution. The county guy said he could not recommend any aftermarket type of product or chemical additives.

I really wanted to believe I could spend $1,000.00 +/- and everything would be OK again. As it turns out, the only way to be really sure is to rip out the field and start over.

I get to start the bidding process next week. Yea!

NP
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Why would it have to cost $1000 to bubble air into a septic system?
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I think that is what one of the advertised prices were, but I'm not really sure. I was in denial and hoping my problem was not as serious as it turned out to be.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zeekh,

I read about these as well. When I met with the excavator and county inspector, neither thought much of them but for different reasons. The inspector has been at it over 15 years and I'd guess has a degree or two. His position is that the science is sound, but that he has not seen a controlled or scientific study that independently supports the manufacturer's claims. On the other hand, the working man was 41 and has been digging ditches since he was 14. He said if they worked as well as claimed, everyone would install them. Neither guy seemed to think it would be a long term solution. The county guy said he could not recommend any aftermarket type of product or chemical additives.

I really wanted to believe I could spend $1,000.00 +/- and everything would be OK again. As it turns out, the only way to be really sure is to rip out the field and start over.

I get to start the bidding process next week. Yea!

NP

there is a thread on Doityourself.com about this.

This guy was trying to get his dry wells to drain. I have read about using the same stuff for the septic tank

Sepage pit aeration

the guy could be full of shit. I don't know. What I do know is, they want a few thousand $ to replace my dry wells. I figure for a $300 dollar gamble its worth it. I haven't bought anything yet but I'm leaning this way. I have read quite extensively about using aerobic bacteria in your septic system. There are hurtles like venting & such.

ETA: here is the address my link doesn't seem to be working

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/wells-sump-pumps-septic-sewage-systems/446728-septic-tank-seepage-pit-help-advice.html
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#33]
reading your story is why I opted for a Septic System with a Lagoon. I am in an area that is very rocky I am above an old mine and it would have been very I mean very expensive to put in a leech field. I have had not problems and it works great.
They guy that installed it did a great job and again thus far I have had no problems.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
reading your story is why I opted for a Septic System with a Lagoon. I am in an area that is very rocky I am above an old mine and it would have been very I mean very expensive to put in a leech field. I have had not problems and it works great.
They guy that installed it did a great job and again thus far I have had no problems.

When you say lagoon, do you mean like a pond where the sewage or grey water sits?
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My parents neighbor put in a chamber system like that when they built their house.  Works great.

One thing our family has learned over the years after building several houses, is to double the field line footage required when putting in a new system.  Its a lot cheaper to just put it in up front than dig it up later.

Another thing that helps (if you can) is to get the washing machine off your blackwater septic.  Put in a second small tank/lines or simply dump it on the ground if you have enough acreage and the local inspectors don't care.

In 1966 my folks added on a utility room and great room. For the utility room they ran a leech line out into the back yard for the clothes washer, it worked great for many years, up to the time when the city took over and brought in a sewer line.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#36]
When me and my ex built our house in 2002 we only paid $5,000 for an aerobic septic system installed. Never had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 4:49:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Tj did they tell you about a soild waste sump pump? They go for 400 and can pump up hill with no problems.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
When me and my ex built our house in 2002 we only paid $5,000 for an aerobic septic system installed. Never had a problem with it.

Your system is still a baby.  Ten years really should be almost no time for a septic system.  

I don't know what to think on aerobic systems.  Having quite a bit of background both in microbiology and actually waste water treatment plants, I understand the aerobic bacteria like strep and E Coli (normal flora)  are more aggressive (multiply faster, faster metabolism, consume more), however I don't know if that's overall best for the entire system.  Aeration systems seldom include aerating the leach bed.   Seems to me then the system (besides pump burn out) is dependent on water flow more than conventional.  The more flow the higher the dissolved oxygen in the leach beds.  Stop the flow, the bed then would have to transition as aerobic bacteria stops growing, then anerobic would have to begin.  

Probably work fine at my house, but like I posted before at a remote cabin or vacation home, I'd "run Forest run."

Tj

TJ, did you check out the link I provided. My dry well leaching slowed last summer. I had a guy come in and pump it out. He looked at it said I needed to replace both dry wells. (I have 2 500 gal dry wells) Anyway, my thinking with the aerobic system is aerate the the dry wells. Once they are cleaned up let the system go back to anaerobic. The guy at the link may be just BSing everyone. The way I figure, I have to do something. I'll take the $300 option to see if I can save the cost of digging up the back yard and putting in 2 new dry wells. If aerating doesn't work I'm only out a few hundred $. If does work,  I may look into permanently making the system aerobic.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:45:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your system is still a baby.  Ten years really should be almost no time for a septic system.  

I don't know what to think on aerobic systems.  Having quite a bit of background both in microbiology and actually waste water treatment plants, I understand the aerobic bacteria like strep and E Coli (normal flora)  are more aggressive (multiply faster, faster metabolism, consume more), however I don't know if that's overall best for the entire system.  Aeration systems seldom include aerating the leach bed.   Seems to me then the system (besides pump burn out) is dependent on water flow more than conventional.  The more flow the higher the dissolved oxygen in the leach beds.  Stop the flow, the bed then would have to transition as aerobic bacteria stops growing, then anerobic would have to begin.  

Probably work fine at my house, but like I posted before at a remote cabin or vacation home, I'd "run Forest run."

Tj

Aren't sewage treatment plants aerobic?
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Probably my problem is a bit different. I have a dry well, seepage pit, what ever you want to call it. If I understand you have a leach field. I figure if I can get some aerobic  bacteria to eat the sludge that has clogged the bottom of the tanks it may start to drain again. As I said befoe, its a $300 gamble but, it sounds better than definitely paying thousand of $
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Probably my problem is a bit different. I have a dry well, seepage pit, what ever you want to call it. If I understand you have a leach field. I figure if I can get some aerobic  bacteria to eat the sludge that has clogged the bottom of the tanks it may start to drain again. As I said befoe, its a $300 gamble but, it sounds better than definitely paying thousand of $

Does your laundry water go into your septic system?  What about shower water?  Sink water?
Bleach kills bacteria, thats why its an antibacterial agent.  Thats why we put it in our stored water here.  Bleach however, is not smart enough to differentiate between bacteria we want dead and the bacteria you are talking about paying $300 for.  The first load of whites that your wife washes will likely wipe out your aerobic bacteria.  That was one of the reasons that my septic guy listed off against the aerobic bacteria.  With a residential sized system, a good shocking of bleach from a load of laundry is at a high enough concentration to kill them.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does your laundry water go into your septic system?  What about shower water?  Sink water?
Bleach kills bacteria, thats why its an antibacterial agent.  Thats why we put it in our stored water here.  Bleach however, is not smart enough to differentiate between bacteria we want dead and the bacteria you are talking about paying $300 for.  The first load of whites that your wife washes will likely wipe out your aerobic bacteria.  That was one of the reasons that my septic guy listed off against the aerobic bacteria.  With a residential sized system, a good shocking of bleach from a load of laundry is at a high enough concentration to kill them.  

We use minimal amount of bleach. It does however, go into the septic system. When I had the dry wells pumped last fall I noticed a coating of black muck on the bottom of the dry wells. I assume this is what is called the Biomat. From what I've read you can spike the syustem with aerobic bacteria, then aerate the dry wells to encourage growth. I'm not looking at this as a permanent solution. I figure if I can get the Biomat gone the dry wells will percolate better. Then I wopuld let the system go back to anaerobic bacteria. Maybe my butt is out a mile. I'm going to give it a try. Its a $300 gamble. I purchased a pond aerator and an air pump. If it doesn't work I will have to have new dry wells put in.  That will be a significant cost plus tearing up the lawn.  I expect to have the aerator by middle of next week. We'll see what happens
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top