Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2012 5:17:13 AM EDT
Anyone know anything about these generators?

Aldi generator
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Save a bit more money and buy a better one. Generac, Craftsman. Just remember you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#2]
as with other Aldi Gens they are made by All Power America  http://www.allpoweramerica.com/productdetails.php?id_prd=44
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:39:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Save a bit more money and buy a better one. Generac, Craftsman. Just remember you get what you pay for.

yeh and the $500 range Generacs and Craftsmans are imported from China too.  so whats the difference, other than the Aldi's one is probably better?
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 6:17:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

yeh and the $500 range Generacs and Craftsmans are imported from China too.  so whats the difference, other than the Aldi's one is probably better?

Not to mention they are probably made in the same factory.

My opinion, for what its worth, is that people still continue to buy these shitty generators and staunchly defend them. It reminds me of how Kel-Tec owners swear their guns are great, even when they have to dismantle, inspect, and rebuild each gun, plus shoot 5000 rounds through it to get it reliable enough to trust their lives upon.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeh and the $500 range Generacs and Craftsmans are imported from China too. so whats the difference, other than the Aldi's one is probably better?

My opinion, for what its worth, is that people still continue to buy these shitty generators and staunchly defend them. It reminds me of how Kel-Tec owners swear their guns are great, even when they have to dismantle, inspect, and rebuild each gun, plus shoot 5000 rounds through it to get it reliable enough to trust their lives upon.

kibby, I have a chinese genny and a kel-tec. I have had zero trouble with either of them. I carry a Kel-tec P-11 every single day to work. I practice once a month with it and honestly have had not one malfunction yet. I carry a G23 when I am not at work and would trust my life on either weapon. Genny's are nice to have and a person may not ever really need it in their whole life. Why spend an arm and a leg for something that just sits in your garage year after year? I have had a Chinese genny for several years, it starts everytime and makes power everytime and The ONE time ive used it for 4 hours it was nice to have.

I would rather everyone have a chinese genny and be self sufficient, than not and wait around or have to search for help.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

yeh and the $500 range Generacs and Craftsmans are imported from China too. so whats the difference, other than the Aldi's one is probably better?

kibby, I have a chinese genny and a kel-tec. I have had zero trouble with either of them. I carry a Kel-tec P-11 every single day to work. I practice once a month with it and honestly have had not one malfunction yet. I carry a G23 when I am not at work and would trust my life on either weapon. Genny's are nice to have and a person may not ever really need it in their whole life. Why spend an arm and a leg for something that just sits in your garage year after year? I have had a Chinese genny for several years, it starts everytime and makes power everytime and The ONE time ive used it for 4 hours it was nice to have.

I would rather everyone have a chinese genny and be self sufficient, than not and wait around or have to search for help.

See what I mean?

By no means do I want to incite any bad feelings and I do not mean any ill-will to you or anyone in this forum, but I personally try to buy as little chinese-made shit as I possibly can. I've been on this good Earth long enough to witness the mentality of buy cheap foreign-made goods ruin the US-made versions of those products. One case in point is American-made machinery. I'm a second-generation machinist. I grew up in my Dad's shop, and learned to shape metals at a very young age. In the early '80s, importers began to introduce lathes, grinders, and milling machines made in Taiwan. They were less than half the price of their American counterparts, but they were roughly-made, and incredibly inaccurate. Then Chinese companies got into it,and they were cheaper. The Tai machines became better and more precise, but scarcer, because their prices were climbing. All the while, the sales of these cheap machines were robbing US machine companies of much-needed revenue. People spend their money - unwittingly - on the cheapest shit to get the job done without realizing the ramifications of their actions. To make a long story short, the best-quality american-made goods are rare and high-priced when you can find them. Most have closed their doors, or have succumbed to the cheap Asian labor.

What am I getting on about? I'm saying we spend our money on cheap shit and then bitch about the decline of American industry. I'm not a hipppocrit, but even I feel like one sometimes because I have a Multiquip genny. Its all US-made, except the engine, which is 13hp Honda. I guess I am just saying that it sickens me to see those gennys flying off the shelves, thusly depriving the better-quality manufacturers of the revenue. Your cheap chinese crap genny may be suitable for your budget, and thats okay, but the blacklash of the trade goes farther than just your wallet.

Like I said, I dont want to ruffle any feathers here. I'm just giving my viewpoint. Part if being a true American is doing everything we can to insure America stays great.

Thats all I got.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#7]
i bought 2 of these from aldi's a few years ago for friends. both have been used and both have been zero problems. not used alot but worked when needed. i'm going to convert one to propane for one of the guys. for the money....good value
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Kibby, your input is based on ignorant teeth gnashing, emotional reactions, and not facts. Save your misinformation and poor spelling for your union meetings. If you don't like capitalism, take it elsewhere.

BTW, my HF $79 genny runs great as do my Kel Tecs

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#9]
You can look around RV.net and see if anybody has a review.  There is a lot of good info on generators over there.  I was shopping a couple years ago and ended up getting a 4kw Champion after reading the reviews.  Plus, there are some shade-tree tinkerer's that mod them out: sound abatement, re-wire, propane conversions and the like.

What country is Kel-Tec made in?
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Kibby, your input is based on ignorant teeth gnashing, emotional reactions, and not facts. Save your misinformation and poor spelling for your union meetings. If you don't like capitalism, take it elsewhere.

BTW, my HF $79 genny runs great as do my Kel Tecs

Seriously? Misinformation? Emotional reactions? Its obvious (despite my apologies beforehand) I struck a nerve with my negative comments. I also resent the direct attack, sir, especially about my spelling. Are there any gentlemen left in here?

For what its worth, I love capitalism, but you obviously do not see the bigger picture in which your actions are doing to this country. So go ahead. buy those shitty generators. Buy cheapass guns. Put your neighbor out of work. They'll be the ones on your doorstep come collapse. You will probably find a reason to blame someone else for it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can look around RV.net and see if anybody has a review.

RV.net Chinese Gensets Thread (currently 970 pages long!)
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See what I mean?

By no means do I want to incite any bad feelings and I do not mean any ill-will to you or anyone in this forum, but I personally try to buy as little chinese-made shit as I possibly can. I've been on this good Earth long enough to witness the mentality of buy cheap foreign-made goods ruin the US-made versions of those products. One case in point is American-made machinery. I'm a second-generation machinist. I grew up in my Dad's shop, and learned to shape metals at a very young age. In the early '80s, importers began to introduce lathes, grinders, and milling machines made in Taiwan. They were less than half the price of their American counterparts, but they were roughly-made, and incredibly inaccurate. Then Chinese companies got into it,and they were cheaper. The Tai machines became better and more precise, but scarcer, because their prices were climbing. All the while, the sales of these cheap machines were robbing US machine companies of much-needed revenue. People spend their money - unwittingly - on the cheapest shit to get the job done without realizing the ramifications of their actions. To make a long story short, the best-quality american-made goods are rare and high-priced when you can find them. Most have closed their doors, or have succumbed to the cheap Asian labor.

What am I getting on about? I'm saying we spend our money on cheap shit and then bitch about the decline of American industry. I'm not a hipppocrit, but even I feel like one sometimes because I have a Multiquip genny. Its all US-made, except the engine, which is 13hp Honda. I guess I am just saying that it sickens me to see those gennys flying off the shelves, thusly depriving the better-quality manufacturers of the revenue. Your cheap chinese crap genny may be suitable for your budget, and thats okay, but the blacklash of the trade goes farther than just your wallet.

Like I said, I dont want to ruffle any feathers here. I'm just giving my viewpoint. Part if being a true American is doing everything we can to insure America stays great.

Thats all I got.

Kibby. Thanks for the great post. I wholeheartedly 100% agree with you. I honestly search out for American made products at every chance i get, but what ircs me the most is when i go looking for an amercan company to buy from, get the product and then get home and see its made in mexico. for instance, i am not a rich man, but  i want to buy an american made car. do you know what choice i have in the small sedan market? Chevy Cruze, Ford Focus and i cant afford the focus. So then there is a couple of jap brands made here.  but i cant get myself to buy one.  so i went down to the chevy dealer and got my ass thrown out of there because the guy wouldnt drop the price more than 72 bucks below sticker.  Im still driving my 2 dodge neons, one with 104k and the other 86k.  made in the USA. i have 2 pair of danner usa made boots. i buy new balance shoes, made in USA and i buy USA made books for my neices. i wont let my wife buy chinese house decorations or gift paper either, but as you can see i use these  examples more than 1 time every two years, so yeah, it sucks buying some jap or chinese shit, but for my useage schedule, its what it is.

You want proof of how i feel about this, just ask rusteerooster. Ive had several convo's with him about it, he'll back me on this.  I hate buying chinese or japanese or mexican.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Gentlemen

I didn't start this topic for a debate on patriotic economics.

Let's return to a discussion about the generator in question please.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#15]

haha, but thats what you got.  I linked you all i know about them.  they are GTG.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks strangely like a red Champion.  Probably is.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Gentlemen

I didn't start this topic for a debate on patriotic economics.

Let's return to a discussion about the generator in question please.

Thanks

i can't speak for that particular generator, but i bought a 2000w kingcraft generator from aldi for around $120 IIRC about a year ago and haven't had any issues with it. granted, i only run it twice a month for a half hour each time, but no issues yet. as posted above they are made by all power america. i contacted them and they confirmed this information and sent me info on spark plug specs so i could buy spares. if i had the money i'd buy a honda or a champion but for the price mine works fine. YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top