Previous Page
Page:  / 3
Author
Posted: 1/1/2012 4:28:57 AM EST
I know it's not recommended and could be dangerous if the tank fails, but how many use the 20 lb tanks in doors for their buddy heaters?
If everyone is replaceable, then stop being everyone.
OverScoped
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 4:36:14 AM EST
I voted no, but i dont have one.

My backup heat is a wood burner and kero.

If I did have a buddy heater, i would try a longer hose and keep the tank outside.
Chartiers Lodge No. 297 Free and Accepted Masons of Pennsylvania

www.poconopens.com
support a veteran, buy an awesome and beautiful handmade pen.
itsARanchrifle
Home of tier 1 ranch goats and cattle.
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 4:46:11 AM EST
I have one in a 14x16 storage shed.
It works fine , but I really need to drill a hole in the floor so I can put the tank outside.
Look , you wanna play blindman go walk with the sheppard.
Member TEAM RANSTAD
Wear the fox hat .
snubfan
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 4:46:33 AM EST
I have two Buddy heaters and the hoses/filters to do so if needed; but, have not tried them inside our house. Would be last resort for me.
BigDaddy0004
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 5:41:07 AM EST
I just got my Big Buddy with 12 foot hose / regulator and filter with the intention of only using the 20# cylinders on the outside patio and passing the hose thru the wall into the family room.
Worf: No! Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects. (dreamily) And claw at you.

The Sphinx: When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack.
ColtRifle
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 5:55:16 AM EST
I'm all for safety but would keep the tank inside the house if I didn't have a choice. I would also keep an eye on it and only run it when I was there. When I had to leave, I'd take the tank outside.

geekz0r
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 6:00:25 AM EST
We have a buddy heater here too. I asked about using the giant cans but my BF said we'd have to run a line to them and keep them outside. So instead of that we just have one pound canisters. It's warm here so we don't really need to use it yet... seriously I have a fucking fan on right now (why won't it fucking SNOW? GAH!)... but anyway that's enough for us really. It's just an apartment and we have blankets too.
inop
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 6:41:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2012 6:42:46 AM EST by inop]
I did in my last house when I needed to
Now I have a 500g plumbed in and a heater installed
Also can connect the 2 40lb tanks to the house If really needed

Edit the connection is outside for the tanks
this page intentionally left blank
Kar15
Something unique...
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 7:31:34 AM EST
this thread is relivent and of interest to me. my folks just got me a mr buddy BIG BUDDY heater for me for christmas.

i'd purchased a dual fuel chargriller propane and charcoal grill and a couple spare propane tanks for myself on blackfriday from lowes...

the wife and i have baseboard electric heat and will be using this set up as our back up heat source until we can afford the jotul woodstove i want(which will come after the central heat and air conditioning that she wants). i also picked up one of the radiant burner "eyes"(i think it's called an infrared heater head) that screw onto a 20lb tank for heating my shop / shed / storage building if i'm working out there.

K.
"There comes a time in a man's life where he has to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start cutting throats." H.L. Mencken
My Commonwealth's state seal is a COC violation. Our founding fathers approved of images of bared breasts.
Kibby
Guarding the Flock
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 7:55:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2012 7:56:49 AM EST by Kibby]
I have run another brand of radiant heater inside my house before, off a 40-pounder, and did just fine. Other than the fact that the big tank and the heater were in the way all of the time, it was no BFD. I look at it this way: If you are going to use is solely for backup heat, then use it. Keep the tank away from the front of the heater, and as far away as the hose will alow and you'll be fine. Use a decent tank - one that in new or has been tested recently. I wouldn't rig it up outside, because the cold will diminish your amount of gas pressure, and you'll be cold. The unit may not fire up if the tank is low, and due to the low pressure. The inside warmth will keep your tank at a healthy pressure and you'll be able to use all of the gas inside.

I was browsing a shop here in town when some guy came in and spyed the big Mr Buddys they had on display. He immediately went off on the owner about how great they were and how its ALL he heats his place with. He says he has to open a window sometimes it gets so hot inside, and he uses a 40 every week in the winter. I'm thinking his place must be a shack somewhere. He did look like some granola-eatin' weirdo, but still an unsolicited affadavit can be extracted from all this.
batmanacw
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 8:08:20 AM EST
The reason I mention it is that I have been filling 1lb canisters with the tanks, but you can only fill a half dozen or so well. Then it just works better to hook up the tank to use up the rest. The exchange tank from Walmart does not fill them well at all. I am only getting about 10 oz fills after 1.5 mins. I put the partial tank it the closet and ran the hose.
EdHaney1
And there we have it!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 9:36:12 AM EST
I have my shop in the "room" above the garage. The tank is in the garage with a long line up to the heater. Gets it nice and warm fast and the pilot is enough to keep it comfortable. I've never had a 1lbs. bottle hooked up to it.
EXPY37
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 10:24:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2012 10:32:42 AM EST by EXPY37]
Although I can see running a genny in the garage with complicated and correct venting, safety, and engineering considerations, using a large propane cylinder of pressurized flammable gas with consumer grade hoses and fittings inside a house gives me pause [and I'm not a politically brainwashed scardy cat afraid of CFLs with a bit of mercury in them].

Having at least an operable propane detector near the tank and heater would make me a bit more comfortable while sleeping and they are readily available at RV stores and the net. My nose would suffice for a detector when awake. I use one in the container near the furnace and the copper line feeding it propane. [I'll admit I went for 2 years before connecting it to power]

OTOH, a lot of folks do use 20# and larger bottles with heaters inside, and it's rare to hear of kabooms, it still makes me a little concerned and I probably wouldn't do it on a routine basis.

I'd very reluctantly do it if I had to and I'd keep a look out for a leak and inspect everything frequently. My fear though is probably about as irrational as hippys fearing trace contaminations of lots of stuff.

blackhawkhunter
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 10:54:19 AM EST
I am not so much worried about slow leaks as I am about venting. I have seen it happen twice and it is not fun!
fundummy
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:18:50 PM EST

Just a heads up on those of " us " that would use a 20lb tank inside....

Be sure to open the valve ( on the tank ) to full open... If the valve is open about half way, there is a chance it will leak through the valve ( under the knob ).

Be safe... use your O2 detectors anyway...
Skibane
Brown Marmorated Stinkbug
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 4:03:05 PM EST
I've done it on occasion.

Always turned the tank valve off when the heater wasn't in use, and always checked for leaks immediately after opening the valve.

Another option is to leave the tank outside and open a window just enough to route the hose inside to the heater..
"The skin of civilization is only 7 meals thick..."
secamp32
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 4:10:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By Kibby:
I have run another brand of radiant heater inside my house before, off a 40-pounder, and did just fine. Other than the fact that the big tank and the heater were in the way all of the time, it was no BFD. : .

It's no BFD until the tanks starts to leak and the propane builds up at he lowest level and finds a source of ignition and then the whole house goes into orbit. Keep the tank outside and run the hose thru a window.
batmanacw
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 4:23:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By secamp32:
Originally Posted By Kibby:
I have run another brand of radiant heater inside my house before, off a 40-pounder, and did just fine. Other than the fact that the big tank and the heater were in the way all of the time, it was no BFD. : .

It's no BFD until the tanks starts to leak and the propane builds up at he lowest level and finds a source of ignition and then the whole house goes into orbit. Keep the tank outside and run the hose thru a window.

One thing we have is an all electric house. No pilot lights.

If the tank vents it would most likely be when it's very full.
We will not leave them in the house unattended.
Everyone knows to take it out of the house if propane smell is detected. We would smell it far before the fuel/air mixture was reached for an explosion.

I am not entirely sure it is more unsafe than using propane for my stove or hot water. The point of the smell in propane is to warn people of leaks before the fuel/air mix is reached. It works. Only difference is the tank can release much more in a short time. Leaks are of very little concern. Venting is.

How many have seen a 20lb tank vent? They are normally only filled 15 to 18 lbs.
biere
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 5:28:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By BigDaddy0004:
I just got my Big Buddy with 12 foot hose / regulator and filter with the intention of only using the 20# cylinders on the outside patio and passing the hose thru the wall into the family room.

The buddy heaters I have all came with a built in regulator. All I use is a hose to the 20lb tank and hook it right up to the heater. If your heaters have a low pressure hookup then the regulator you mention should be fine.

But if hooking up where the 1lb canisters go the heater has a built in regulator.

Reading the little warning labels on my new little buddy heater says to only use a 20lb propane tank setup with both the tank and heater outside. The lawyers are worried about leaks at the propane tank and also where the hose attaches to the heater.

I have used the rubber hoses and run them through the window or whatever to keep the tank outside and the heater inside. I have generally used the shut off valve on the propane tank to shut off the flow of gas and then I let the buddy heater run out of fuel and flame out.

Even though I rent I am reading up on code for hooking stuff up to propane tanks. The heater hooked to the 500 gallon propane tank outside is done soso in my opinion, but I am going to read up and educate myself and figure out if it is really ok or not ok.

Due to the age of the house and previous holes in the walls around being there I figure I will hard plumb the buddy heater perhaps and set things up to where it is code acceptable if such a thing is possable.

Research what propane can do and learn how to detect leaks. Just trying to smell a leak may not work if the tank is outside on a front porch where it is windy when you check for leaks. But if it leaks a bit and the porch is covered there may be issues if the wind lays during the night and the propane leak continues.

I have the rubber hoses, 2 of em right now, and they are in fine shape. I inspect them now and then for wear and tear as well.

Overall I want to learn what the best methods might be and see how far I am from that.

In an old apartment I had no good way to leave the tank outside and I treated it much like a kerosene tower heater.

I brought it in to use it and I put it outside when not in use. I did not carry it around lit like a kerosene heater, but the thing was only inside being used when I was inside and awake.
DK-Prof quote
Please do not engage in personal attacks, even if they are correct.
showpare
Leaders Of Survival, Evasion, & Reconnoitering
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 5:28:59 PM EST
I have seen one tank vent in the summertime about 25 years ago. It was in the sun, afternoon, tanks was just filled. It would vent very loud and blow propane fog intermittently. My guess is it was overfilled. This was before the OPD.

My son and I piddle in his workshop most of the winter with one or two propane heaters going with the tanks inside. We always open the tanks all the way and leak check the joints with homemade leak detector, after a tank change.

Two winters ago, we had a power outage at our house in the winter. I waited about an hour before getting the propane heaters set up in the house; a Big Buddy and a 30k to 80k convection. Just about the time I got the heaters set up in the kitchen and living room, the electricity came back on.

Homemade leak checker
6 oz spray bottle
1 oz dish soap
5 oz -20 window washer fluid

I keep it in a ziplock, inside the heater kit bag with teflon tape, a grill lighter, and an adjustable wrench.
"...I feel safer with a rifle."
Race Bannon
EXPY37
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 10:09:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2012 10:12:23 PM EST by EXPY37]
Something Biere was getting at are the pressures required by various heaters.

The BigBuddy input connection uses HIGH PRESSURE [propane directly from the little cylinder or the 20# tank, that can run ~ a couple hundred psi at the heater's input -depending on temperature]

Most approved indoors propane heaters I'm aware of [actually I'm not aware of any that aren't] use propane that's at 11" water column pressure. That's only a couple psi. You can almost blow that hard. There isn't much chance of a feed line blowing open. You can put your finger over the open end of a gas line and stop the flow with no effort to illustrate how low the pressure is.

The reason for the low pressure is SAFETY and there is a regulator at the propane tank outside that reduces it to a couple of pounds. [Some installations use a regulator outside and another regulator inside but still the pressure in the service line is only abt 5 psi.

Same situation for RV's and homes.

So if you compare the B-B's input pressure and approved room heaters, there's a HUGE difference.

The pressure in the hose between the 20# cylinder and the BigBuddy and clones at 65F is 100 psi. Trying to stop the flow from the end of an open hose hooked to your air compressor would be abt the same for the hose to your B-B..

The new safety valves on the 20# tanks [larger tanks than 30# don't have them] have a device that will [hopefully] stop the flow once the flow rate reaches a certain point, so that if a zoombie came in and cut your hose with a machete or a lopper, the safety should actuate.

Note, I could be wrong abt this check for yourself.

So you see why even if you put the propane tank outside, you still have high pressure propane in the hose going to it inside your house and multiple failure points.

That's why I would suggest as Skibane did, getting one of the Olympic TYPE heaters if you are going to use propane emergency heat very much.

Keep your tank outside and run a simple low pressure hose inside. [If allowed by code]

The Olympic, as do some others, use a platinum impregnated burner "pad" that's COMPLETELY different than the CERAMIC element in a lot of the heaters.

The operating temps are very different and it's easy to tell them apart.

I use one of the catalytic heaters in our trailer 100's of hours and they are great.

When I used a B-B type a couple times in the confined space to add more heat than the regular heater could provide, each time I got a bad respiratory infection that took a couple weeks to get over, so I'm gun shy about them. Now for a backup I carry a small Coleman catalytic and I'm gunshy abt it too.

EXPY37
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/1/2012 10:10:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2012 10:15:15 PM EST by EXPY37]
Originally Posted By showpare:
I have seen one tank vent in the summertime about 25 years ago. It was in the sun, afternoon, tanks was just filled. It would vent very loud and blow propane fog intermittently. My guess is it was overfilled. This was before the OPD.

My son and I piddle in his workshop most of the winter with one or two propane heaters going with the tanks inside. We always open the tanks all the way and leak check the joints with homemade leak detector, after a tank change.

Two winters ago, we had a power outage at our house in the winter. I waited about an hour before getting the propane heaters set up in the house; a Big Buddy and a 30k to 80k convection. Just about the time I got the heaters set up in the kitchen and living room, the electricity came back on.

Homemade leak checker
6 oz spray bottle
1 oz dish soap
5 oz -20 window washer fluid

I keep it in a ziplock, inside the heater kit bag with teflon tape, a grill lighter, and an adjustable wrench.

Be careful abt the propane convection heaters.

Not approved for indoor use and they emit CO.

I've used the propane torpedo heaters in a small building with not bad effects but don't recommend it.

OneLegPaddy
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/2/2012 12:10:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/2/2012 12:11:56 AM EST by OneLegPaddy]
We had one year where I put a second floor on the house, but didn't get it insulated / sheetrocked till the summer.

Even with the stairwell sealed off with plastic sheething. It was COOOLLLD.

Some of the time I had the kero heater goin, when that ran out, I had the buddy heater going, on high, with the 20lb tanks.

When I brought the propane indoors, I also brought in the propane detector out of the camper. (Just had to hook it up to the motorcycle battery)

Similar model

We literally have dozens of WORKING smoke, and CO detectors, as well as fire extinguishers on each floor of Paddy's castle.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Even on the battlefield of ideas...Paddy carries a rifle
BigDaddy0004
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/2/2012 12:58:17 AM EST
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

The BigBuddy input connection uses HIGH PRESSURE [propane directly from the little cylinder or the 20# tank, that can run ~ a couple hundred psi at the heater's input -depending on temperature]

Most approved indoors propane heaters I'm aware of [actually I'm not aware of any that aren't] use propane that's at 11" water column pressure. That's only a couple psi. You can almost blow that hard. There isn't much chance of a feed line blowing open. You can put your finger over the open end of a gas line and stop the flow with no effort to illustrate how low the pressure is.

The reason for the low pressure is SAFETY and there is a regulator at the propane tank outside that reduces it to a couple of pounds. [Some installations use a regulator outside and another regulator inside but still the pressure in the service line is only abt 5 psi.

So if you compare the B-B's input pressure and approved room heaters, there's a HUGE difference.

The pressure in the hose between the 20# cylinder and the BigBuddy and clones at 65F is 100 psi. Trying to stop the flow from the end of an open hose hooked to your air compressor would be abt the same for the hose to your B-B.

That's why I bought this 12' hose and regulator for my BigBuddy that I plan to run from 20# out door tanks.

Mr. Heater Hose with Regulator and Quick Disconnect for Big Buddy Heater #F271803

Product Description:
This is a 12' hose with a built in regulator that will connect the Mr. Heater Big Buddy to a twenty pound propane tank. The regulator on this hose allows the hose to bypass the regulator in the Big Buddy by connecting to the quick-disconnect fitting on the Big Buddy instead of the screw-in connection. This hose gives you 1/2 PSI through the hose at any given time instead of 100 PSI that other hoses provide. This provides much safer conditions should a leak in your hose occur.

Worf: No! Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects. (dreamily) And claw at you.

The Sphinx: When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack.
EllisWyatt
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/2/2012 1:22:44 AM EST
I voted no as you asked specifically in the house. I should qualify that. It would be my third and last heat source and would use it without question following normal safety checks. My "winter" car shop is 1 stall of a 3 car garage that is tightly insulated and drywalled. I use Mr heater in there frequently. I feed that fresh air via a piece of 2" pvc pipe through the wall directly behind it. CO meter has never come off 0ppm after several full weekends of use.
FWIW
Clinging to my guns and a copy of Atlas Shrugged
EXPY37
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/2/2012 1:55:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/2/2012 2:12:51 AM EST by EXPY37]
Originally Posted By BigDaddy0004:
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

The pressure in the hose between the 20# cylinder and the BigBuddy and clones at 65F is 100 psi. Trying to stop the flow from the end of an open hose hooked to your air compressor would be abt the same for the hose to your B-B.

That's why I bought this 12' hose and regulator for my BigBuddy that I plan to run from 20# out door tanks.

Mr. Heater Hose with Regulator and Quick Disconnect for Big Buddy Heater #F271803

Product Description:
This is a 12' hose with a built in regulator that will connect the Mr. Heater Big Buddy to a twenty pound propane tank. The regulator on this hose allows the hose to bypass the regulator in the Big Buddy by connecting to the quick-disconnect fitting on the Big Buddy instead of the screw-in connection. This hose gives you 1/2 PSI through the hose at any given time instead of 100 PSI that other hoses provide. This provides much safer conditions should a leak in your hose occur.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FeL9Unt6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That will work fine since in your model the company makes provision for the reg to be at the tank. It appears Northern Tool has extension hoses.

Previous Page
Page:  / 3