Author
DD214 Holder
Military
Posted: 11/17/2011 10:01:18 AM
I have a 500 gal propane tank onsite, with a propane water heater, and baseboard boiler. There used to be a propane fireplace, but it was removed long before we moved in. They left the propane line in place, but just turned off the valve.

Is hooking a big buddy as simple as connecting the line physically with needed adapters, or will I need some sort of regulator? I do have the "filter" for using 20 lb tanks. I have no clue what the pressure is of the line coming in the house, and I don't know what the standard pressure is for boilers and water heaters.
Isaiah 16:11 "Wherefore my bowels shall sound like an harp"
tbk1: "We don't allow generalized bashing, except against the French."
CoC #11: Some animals are more equal than others.
UT-ARShooter
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/17/2011 11:28:34 AM
Interesting question. I have the Heater Buddy adapter and filter that I hook up with but I only hook up to 5 gal tanks with that. I have wondered the same thing. Tag for more interest.
proto_moose
Magnets and Thermos's--How do they work?!?
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/17/2011 11:44:00 AM
Standard boiler and water heater pressures for LP are around 11"w.c. (read inches of water column)

FYI 1psi=28"w.c.
No, Mister Smartypants, you're wrong. I took a solemn oath to use their awesome power, never for evil, but only for the good of mankind.

Jane
NAM
DD214 Holder
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/17/2011 12:05:10 PM
[Last Edit: 11/17/2011 12:05:47 PM by NAM]
Originally Posted By proto_moose:
Standard boiler and water heater pressures for LP are around 11"w.c. (read inches of water column)

FYI 1psi=28"w.c.

I tihnk that answers the question!

From the manual:

"NOTE: THIS HEATER MAY BE OPERATED WITH (1) OR (2) DISPOSABLE 1 LB. PROPANE CYLINDERS OR WITH A REMOTE REFILLABLE CYLINDER(S) MAX. 20 LBS USING (1) OR (2) F273701, F273702 OR F272702 HOSE ASSEMBLIES WITH FUEL FILTERS (F273699) ON EACH HOSE ASSEMBLY. IT MAY ALSO BE OPERATED WITH (1) F271802 HOSE ASSEMBLY CONNECTED TO A REGULATED (11” W.C.) PROPANE SOURCE OR (1) F271803 HOSE ASSEMBLY WITH 11” REGULATOR WITH ACME NUT."
Remyrw
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/17/2011 6:22:38 PM
Yup, unless there was something really odd about the old fireplace you're good to go. Just be 100% sure about your connections and regardless of the manual and built in sensors I suggest at least SOME venting, even if it's just a cracked window in an adjacent room with the doors open between them.
http://blog.wolftactical.us/ - Shooting Blog
http://blogs.wolfweb.us/ - Social and Political Blog
"Knives by Remy" on Facebook
BigEasySnow - "Speak for yourself, girlfriend. I'm here for the gang bang."
Skibane
Brown Marmorated Stinkbug
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/17/2011 8:06:22 PM
Originally Posted By NAM:
Is hooking a big buddy as simple as connecting the line physically with needed adapters, or will I need some sort of regulator?

The heater already has a pressure regulator installed inside it. In order to use the heater on low-pressure propane, you would need to bypass it.

I've seen posts from RV'ers who have done it, connecting the heater to their RV's low-pressure propane supply.

There is also at least one wall-mounted "Buddy" heater that is factory-configured for connection to low-pressure propane - and dozens of wall-mount models from other manufacturers that will also operate on it.
"The skin of civilization is only 7 meals thick..."
inop
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/18/2011 6:53:49 AM

Originally Posted By Skibane:
Originally Posted By NAM:
Is hooking a big buddy as simple as connecting the line physically with needed adapters, or will I need some sort of regulator?

The heater already has a pressure regulator installed inside it. In order to use the heater on low-pressure propane, you would need to bypass it.

I've seen posts from RV'ers who have done it, connecting the heater to their RV's low-pressure propane supply.

There is also at least one wall-mounted "Buddy" heater that is factory-configured for connection to low-pressure propane - and dozens of wall-mount models from other manufacturers that will also operate on it.

The big buddy has a low pressure inlet also
this page intentionally left blank
NAM
DD214 Holder
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/18/2011 8:14:57 AM
Originally Posted By inop:
The big buddy has a low pressure inlet also

That would be the QD side, no?