Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2011 6:02:59 AM EDT
I have heard conflicting reports on the suitability of using low odor mineral spirits in kero heaters and other round wick appliances. Miles Stair advocates it while lantern net flatly denounces it.
Does anyone here use LOMS for their heaters or lamps?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?

Link Posted: 11/11/2011 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I am gonna try LOMS in my Dietz lanterns first.  

Ops
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#4]
If your having odor problems, I strongly recommend you buy the platinum filter that they sell on milesstair website.  It's dirt cheap and it really does work.  We went from odor to no trace of it with the filter added.  It's a platinum coated screen you hang over your burner.  I'm not sure how it works but it does, trust me, and it's cheap.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
There was a member talking about this last year.  (For the record, I have not researched any of this, and am just repeating from memory what he said.)  Mineral Spirits apparently burn very cleanly, but catch fire at a lower temperature.  This can make them more dangerous to use in some kinds of things, and word is that Kerosene heaters and maybe lanterns are some of those things.  What was tested successfully was a mix of K1 with Mineral spirits.  I can't remember the exact mix, but is was more K1 than MS.  The same thread mentioned that the K1 purchased at Walmart was in fact a mixture of K1 and Mineral Spirits...  again, this is from memory of a thread almost a year old.

Edit:  I found this archived thread, but there is another one that I'll look for too.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Not to change the subject but you can run Kerosene safely in a Diesel engine if mixed with 5% lube oil.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I run 50/50 pump k1 and mineral spirits. The stuff Walmart sells as 1K kerosene is mineral spirits. At the end of last season I bought over 50 gallons/of the Walmart 1K for half price.

I won't run straight pump kerosene any more. Too much sulfur now. Gives me huge headaches.

Right now my GF, her kids, and I am sitting in front of my little radiant heater with no smell at all.

Search my name for my old thread.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am gonna try LOMS in my Dietz lanterns first.  

Ops

Both sites said do NOT use MS in flat wick lanterns. The mechanism is built too loosely and when the tank warms up vapors can escape around the wick. Then you have a run away fire.
I have been reading more about it today and it seems round wick, metal fount lamps and burners can use MS because the fount dissipates heat better than glass. The tighter tolerances of the round wick burner also contribute to effective vapor control.
The main reason for using MS is there is no tar build up on the wick. Also the wicks don't char like with kero. That said Aladdin lamps only recommend kero in their lamps.
Now to pick out a heater for central Texas. We had our second light freeze last night. The hose we rent is all electric. No telling how high the bill will be with central heat. I was looking at Kosmos and aladdin lamps for light and supplemental heat. Only the Aladdins would need kerosene.

Link Posted: 11/11/2011 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If your having odor problems, I strongly recommend you buy the platinum filter that they sell on milesstair website.  It's dirt cheap and it really does work.  We went from odor to no trace of it with the filter added.  It's a platinum coated screen you hang over your burner.  I'm not sure how it works but it does, trust me, and it's cheap.

Platinum is a catalyst that causes a more complete burn. It is in your car's catalytic converter.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Platinum is a catalyst that causes a more complete burn. It is in your car's catalytic converter.

I've got to quit using that expression in my posting, I actually knew how it worked.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the links. The one in the archive should be revived and made a sticky with a summary in the first post. I ordered a directional radiant heater through Ace hardware. If I can get my wife to use it we can save some money on heating costs. I almost bought the omnidirectional radiant heater but I have a long front room. When I see how well it heats I can make further purchases as needed.
In your opinion which is more useful: convection or radiant?

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#13]

That was a great thread, I can't believe we let it go to archive.

At the start of every winter we have these threads pop up. We should get one pinned.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#14]
if you check archives, pretty sure TJ also had an excellent and exhaustive thread on this topic well worth the read.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top