Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2011 11:01:39 AM EDT
I like the idea of hardtack, it's easy to make, and can be made from dry goods, but when I tried making some I got something heavy, salty, and flavorless with the consistency of shoe leather, I'm pretty sure you could use the stuff for roof repairs, but not so much for eating.  What did I do wrong?  Got any good recipes?
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I like the idea of hardtack, it's easy to make, and can be made from dry goods, but when I tried making some I got something heavy, salty, and flavorless with the consistency of shoe leather, I'm pretty sure you could use the stuff for roof repairs, but not so much for eating.  What did I do wrong?  Got any good recipes?

from your description it sounds pretty much right.

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

from your description it sounds pretty much right.  

They didn't call it "Sheet Iron" for nothing.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is the consistency of shoe leather you need to bake it again at 250 for another hour.  In May, I took some hardtack out of a storage container that was made and packed in 2007.  I fried a little salt pork and floated the broke up hardtack pieces in it.  It will soften.  I added some pinto beans, too.  Pretty tasty.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]
yep, sounds like you didnt bake it long enough. what you described is just about right for the flavor but it should have been hard, hence the name "hard tack". if you want some recipes check out some of the reenactment websites. those guys would probably have it posted if not or you cant find it let me know. a friend of mine does reenactments and im pretty sure i remember him saying he made some not long ago.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
hard tack recipe.
I got this from a site a long time ago and can’t give proper credit.  It may have came from American Minuteman and the post claimed it was from a re-enactment web site that was adapted from instructions from the Dixie Gun Works.

2 C flour
1 C water
Put the flour in a mixing bowl, and mix in the water a little at a time until you've got a dough. You may use more or less water - you mix until it's a dough, NOT until you put in all the water.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Roll your out dough on floured surface about 1/4 inch thick.

Cut the dough into squares.

Use a fork to prick holes in the tops of the squares.

Place squares on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes
Turn down to 250 and continue to bake another 30 minutes
then down to 200 and watch for another 30 minutes
Flip them over until baked hard and still white or just begins to turn color.

Secret finish: The next day, give your hardtack a second baking at a lower temperature, about 225 degrees for 30-45 minutes. Reason: the second baking finishes
drying it out.  Store in an air tight  container.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#7]
So you are saying if you wish to consume it you need to put your dentures back in.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So you are saying if you wish to consume it you need to put your dentures back in.

you need to use someone elses dentures just to be safe.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Hard tack should ring like a ceramic tile when you tap on it.

If it doesn't, you didn't make it right.

Ingredients:  Flour.  Salt.  Water (but gets removed during making.)

Bowl.  Flower in bowl.  Splash in some water and mash up with fork.  It should stay dry.  More water, more mashing.  Mash until it BARELY holds together.

Dump salt over it (kosher, sea, or whatever, not iodized in any case).  Mash more.  It should be difficult to kneed now.  Taste it.  If it tastes too salty you are done, if not, add more salt.

Roll out and bake on a cookie sheet spread with more salt and flour.  I start at 350 and bake until it gets decently hard, then step down to 250.  It may not brown much.  Use hardness as a guide for done.

Throw it in some tupperware and wrap in plastic after its cool.  Keep in a cool dry place.

It'll keep for years.  I have some from 2004 that is as good as it was the day I made it.  (Which, is not very good.)

Toss in soups, break off a bit for coffee. Or if you have a lot of water, just put a chunk in your  mouth and let it melt.  Also good for cracking up and sticking in  hot bacon grease, then add a bit of water when it cools.

It is NOT a pleasant food to eat, but is a good way to store wheat starch and protein without keeping the kernels intact.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#10]
In the recipe in the graphic above, Bisquick has vegetable oil in it. It will NOT keep forever if you use that.

It's OK for storing a few months though.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's something I try evey now and then add  some cinnamon, a little sugar ,but prefer a little honey instead  of the sugar. Its a nice treat. Don't know how long it keeps.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's my recipe for a more modern, more nutritious version for my backcountry trips. It doesn't taste particularly good, which is a virtue because you don't eat it all at once.

"Modern" Hardtack:

Whole Wheat Flour - 2 cups

Wheat Germ - 1/2 cup

Corn meal - 2 cups

Rolled Oats - 1/2 cup

Sugar - 1 tablespoon

Salt - 1 tablespoon

Water - (approx.) 1 3/4 cups

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly. Add water and knead until moistened but not sticky. Roll 1/4" thick. Cut into 3-inch squares or rounds. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Score with a knife to facilitate breaking later. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Can be stored indefinitely in an airtight container.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Going to try that last recipe this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Everyone saying cook in oven, but in a REAL SHTF situation, no baking.....can it be cooked in open fire? Dutch oven or cast iron pan?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#16]
You gotta remember the hardtack made in late 18th and earlier 19th centuries was made with ground whole wheat.

If you make it from white flour it will be next to worthless as a nutritious foodstuff. Made with whole wheat, you can practically live on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top