Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 149
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Decided to wear the GHB while walking the dogs tonight. 3 miles total, 1.5 miles per dog. That extra 20 pounds makes a lot more of a difference than you would expect, and the bag still isn't finished- still lacking food and water.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I went to Publix and W.D. to hit the 4th buy one get one specials.
$2.00 off 20lb propane exchange =17.00ea(I had 2 free rusty tanks)
Publix had 50.00 gas cards for 40.00 with purchase.
Speaking of gas...Buy one get one 24oz. pork and beans
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Decided to wear the GHB while walking the dogs tonight. 3 miles total, 1.5 miles per dog. That extra 20 pounds makes a lot more of a difference than you would expect, and the bag still isn't finished- still lacking food and water.

Mine is probably heavier than that.  Sometimes I get jobs that would be a REALLY long walk home if it came to that, so there is a lot of food and water, plus purification methods for water acquired along the way.

I've decided that I need to get out and start walking with mine as well.

Been a few years since I've done any road marching.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is probably heavier than that.  Sometimes I get jobs that would be a REALLY long walk home if it came to that, so there is a lot of food and water, plus purification methods for water acquired along the way.

I've decided that I need to get out and start walking with mine as well.

Been a few years since I've done any road marching.  

Yeah I figure it'll be around 30lbs when its complete. I figured that since walking the dogs is usually about the only exercise I get, I may as well try to make it a little more challenging.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Lost another lb. in the last 24 hours (lapband surgery back in April, down about 40 lbs. from my highest).
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#6]
This was/is my largest prep month yet. (or 2 weeks anyway)
Work included-
Filled 8 - 5 gal poland spring jugs that were sitting in the garage
Refurbish 1973 USMC-MFC
Started the duck enclosure.
Secured "fuel depot" away from structures. (60-gas / 110-diesel / 60-kero / 200lb propane)
Shitcanned the pool which leaves me with 90' of sheet metal for shed siding.
Cashed out a small  "devastated" fund (still have 2 good ones plus pension-?or not) and picked up:
Case of Red Feather Butter
2 red dots for the AK's
250 rds of Win. 12ga Slug
50- 5 gal and 150 2 gal mylar bags and O2 absorbers for all  (my co worker needs some too)
Wood stove
Cast iron bread pan and kettle
2-K in 10's and 20's for temp GTFO/bug out
1-k toward food (to be determined)
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Work included-
Refurbish 1973 USMC-MFC
Secured "fuel depot" away from structures. (60-gas / 110-diesel / 60-kero / 200lb propane)
Cashed out a small  "devastated" fund (still have 2 good ones plus pension-?or not) and picked up:
2 red dots for the AK's
50- 5 gal and 150 2 gal mylar bags and O2 absorbers for all  (my co worker needs some too)
Wood stove

Thats a lot!!! Good work sir!
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Work included-
Refurbish 1973 USMC-MFC
2 red dots for the AK's
Wood stove

Thats a lot!!! Good work sir!

Thanks- Other than the ducks and more actual grunt work, this'll be it for a few months. I've been sitting on the $ for a while trying to decide where best to apply it. Burned up 2 notebooks whilst procrastinating
ETA- The big boss was on a trip with her daughter for the week, so instead of looking for trouble, I looked for holes in the preps...I guess i had to grow up someday

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Bought this week while on vacation.

Picked up 2-50# bags of Pararie Gold white wheat.

Rite Aid had clearance on camping equipment:
2 extra Colemen Stove generators
lantern generator
gas cap for stove or lantern
2 nuts for lanterns
6 space blankets
3 bottles water purifier
2 sewing kits
2 travel tooth brushes

Got 2 pairs each of New Balance Country Walkers for me and the wife.

1 gallon of Grade B Maple Syrup.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Found a German Camo jacket at the Flea Mkt and bought it for a nephew and took it to him. In turn he gave me a dozen eggs from his chickens PLUS an old Ithaca m-37 barrel he found under the back steps of his old farm house. RUSTED all to hell, but the bore didn't look all that bad. Came home and used a wire brush, then steel wool.Cleaned out the bore and it's surprisingly in nice shape.  I took it out in the woods and tied a string to the trigger and got behind a tree and fired 2 rounds thru it. As the outside was so pitted I finally used sandpaper right down to the bare steel, then used some Krylon Black Camo [dull black] paint. Screwed it onto my 12 ga. Ithaca and it looks SWEET!!  It's a 28" Modified choke with a vent rib, so it'll go along with my 30" full choke and 26" smoothbore slug barrel.    Ran the Generator 20 minutes for my monthly run. Despite cooking on the charcoal grill everyday, the freezer is full !  
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Went garage sale hunting yesterday. Ended up with 2 5 gal propane tanks, A large round Tupperware container of thread and other sewing supplies, and a small Seahorse water proof locking box all for $25. Today I went out and bought 150 lbs for chicken feed, and a large metal garbage can to keep it in.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Renewed my membership to the 2A assoc, Arfcom and went full life member with the NRA.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Yard sale huntin'
Got two 20 lb propane tanks
three metal bit/ ammo boxes for $15.

One of the propane tanks is full
just refilled one tank I had the day before for $16.50
I think I did OK
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Shot 100 shells from my HD shotgun.  3-10m drills, slugs at 25 and 50m, firing on the move and from the ground (as if knocked down), tac reloads, etc. etc.  Bought 100 rds birdshot and 30 slugs to make up for what I shot.

Bought a case of pork and beans 50 cents a can.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 12:43:49 AM EDT
[#15]
got a mini tiller for keeping garden weeds down.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Ordered 5 gallon bucket mylar bags with oxy absorbers.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Ordered 1000 rds of 223, and went to Home Depot and bought the last 5 lids and 5 new 5 gal. buckets to put our last Sam's purchase's in.
Waiting to see if the 3 mil. Mylar bags purchased in another thread are good to go. If not I guess I'll order everything Mylar and o2 absorbers from LDS.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Picked up a couple hot weather shirts at REI.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#19]
just got back from a week long vacation in Arizona.  on the way back we stayed the night at my parents in Salt Lake and my dad gave me my Grandfathers old Savage 1914 22lr rifle. Guess I finally have another 22 for the preps. When we got home my new Berkey lite was sitting on the front porch.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Got a couple base layer shirts on sale.
Ordered a TAD Ranger hoodie for the cold months coming up.
Got 3 pairs of TNF shorts on sale at Sports Authority for 70% off.
Ordered a new Benchmade 943BK to replace my bulky Griptilian for EDC.
Attempting to close on the house across from me so that I can move my renters there, and I can finally get back into my house.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where did you order from?
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Got more spare gun parts from brownells & bravo company I pretty much have all spare parts for the Ar & my mossy

Also recieved spare hand gun parts.

some quick clot for medical supplies as well as gauze & tape

in addition also got armorers tools, punch tools & screw drivers for my guns

also bought extra gun oil, bore brushes, solvent & 1,000 extra q-tips
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#23]
got a new grill
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Got two solar powered battery packs to charge cell phones - MP3 players, etc.

Going in the GHB for each car.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#25]
3k of 5.56

12lbs powder

10k rifle primers

new pelican 1060

2 6k foot spools wire for TA-312s

case of "D" batts
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you order from?

Amazon.com, 21.00 and 5.99 shipping for 10 bags and 10 oxy absorbers.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
10k rifle primers

What'd you give for the primers. If the price is coming down again, it's time for me to put a bunch away again.

Plowed, disked, and raked  another large garden area so that I can get it ready for next years garden. I'll plant it with some type of Cover crop to turn under again in the spring.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Took my son (7 years old) to the range today for the first time. There's a fireworks ban in my city today (severe drought), so figured we'd make our own noise... He shot 2 10/22s, 1 with irons and 1 with a RDS, and loved it (who doesn't like shooting a nice 10/22?). No safety violations, and by the end he was really picking everything up. We only did the 25yd range to start today, he got about 50% or so bullseyes. Better than I did my first time out, I think. We'll go to the 50yd next time.

I started him off with an airsoft gun at 5, got him a BB gun at 6, and felt he knew enough about firearms safety - he knows the 4 rules - to start with the real stuff now. AR-15 by 9...
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I just picked up a Troy rear sight for my 545 rifle (nice discount by ordering today)....with that part the top is finished and now to start the final purchase on the lower half.

At this rate I might be able to report by next July 4th that the rifle is in shooting condition.   Well, not sure - but I think I have about 80% of the items to finish up the lower, going to tap a few of the wholes and capture some of the detentes...so removing the stock / pistol grip want cause a search and rescue mission to find the hardware.

In a pinch I could slap the upper on a long range target AR - however, I rather not shoot corrosive crap thru a lower with a high end double stage trigger rifle.  

I could just flush the rifle out with Windex - but folks at the indoor shooting range get mighty picky about shooting ammo with steel core on their back plates.... and leaving a wet spot that smells of ammonia ––-

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 12:21:40 AM EDT
[#30]
By an incredible twist of fate, luck, who knows. I won a free four day class on tactical urban survival. I just have to bring my bug out bag, my carbine, HG and get myself there. I have to say, I have never been this excited about getting my ass kicked.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#31]
we packed up 125lb rice 50lb beans 50lb sugar.
this brings up to around 450lb in mylars not including sugar and salt
i still have a long ways to go.time to get to LDS cannery for flour and milk.
that is all
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
By an incredible twist of fate, luck, who knows. I won a free four day class on tactical urban survival. I just have to bring my bug out bag, my carbine, HG and get myself there. I have to say, I have never been this excited about getting my ass kicked.

Colt.
 Can you elaborate on the class?  Web site info?  And hope you have a full report for us afterwards.

Thanks
WDS
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#33]
20-1 lb boxes of spaghetti
20- 1 lb boxes of macaroni
24- boxes of salt
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt.
 Can you elaborate on the class?  Web site info?  And hope you have a full report for us afterwards.

Thanks
WDS

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=9&f=16&t=230615

I absolutely plan on writing up an AAR. I figure it's going to be least I can do considering.

Today I placed an order with TNVC.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Today, nothing. Just spent 5 days shooting Pat Rogers Pistol 2 and Carbine Operators Course.

Tomorrow, wild food plants class.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 11:48:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Still working on my emergency fire starting kits and water purification. Picked up a couple packs of WET FIRE, awesome stuff. Put up a bunch of cotton balls with vasaline. I also picked up a couple of firesteels. Ordered a Katadyn Vario water filter with extra filters and some ammo for my AK.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 12:14:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Bought a BOV for a killer deal
89 Chevy Suburban Freshly rebuilt SB 350, rebuilt 700R4 with an RV torque convertor, posi in the rear new tires and battery, new front driveline and brakes, $600 bucks plus 4 cords of wood. got a killer deal because we sold this truck about ten to a friend after getting hit while at a dead stop by a honda civic doing 55 MPH, he got the frame straightened and called it good,
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 12:26:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Sounds weird but I got a $25 Staples gift card from a client, along with some 75% off staples coupons I stock up on Pens, Pencils, Tablets, Envelopes, Photo Printing Paper. All in All, $73 worth of stuff for $2.50 out of pocket.

Added more water and boxed cereals to the stores.

Looking to buy 3 cords of firewood in the next 2 weeks. (Generally the lowest pricest of the year are end of July around here)
Starting the process of buying my wife an SUV / BOV. Probably another 1999-2003 Expedition. 4wheel Drive, 5.8 V8 w/ 3rd row. My last one was leveled out with a bigger, knobby tire, ARB racks and a really nice invertor set up. I kick my self everyday day for letting 2008 Gas Prices scare me.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 4:28:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Took one of the future SILs to the range and taught them to shoot pistol.  Bought all the stuff needed to make and can a few jars of pickles.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Ordered some Israeli bandages and USGI triangular bandages for my FAKs.

Also ordered a few USGI GP carrying straps. They work not only on bags but also as pretty decent rifle slings.  Threw a Brit surplus DPM jacket into the order as well.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I turned this 5.00 box of parts from CL into 3 working lanterns

Link Posted: 7/7/2011 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Picked up some ultra flat black spray paint to add to the camo bin

Put a couple things on the EE (and sold one) to offset some of other preps I have on order

Mounted a NF scope to my OBR, I hope to sight in tomorrow.

Did a bunch of weeding in the garden today. It was getting a little out of hand.

Got a great deal on a bow from a buddy. I hope to try bow hunting this fall.

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Picked up a Goal Zero solar kit from costco today for $99.00, It comes with the 7 watt panel, battery charger, 4 AA and 4 AAA batteries, USB cable, flashlight, and 12 volt cable end to plug 12 accessories in.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Moved 240 rolls of TP and 60 rolls of paper towels into the garage. Opened up a lot of extra space inside for more temperature sensitive supplies.

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Picked up a Goal Zero solar kit from costco today for $99.00, It comes with the 7 watt panel, battery charger, 4 AA and 4 AAA batteries, USB cable, flashlight, and 12 volt cable end to plug 12 accessories in.

Pics? Details? etc....

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Today I finished giving my PWS Diablo Pistol/ G36C a big brother:
PWS MK114 upper
Side rail delete
HK G36K Hand guard mod
C3 Defense billet lower
Moe grip, stock (PWS enhanced buffer tube getting her next week along with sights)
Magpul AFG
Eotech
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Hit the range with another prepper.

I think I shot my best group with the OBR––Target Calc will find out soon enough. The number to beat is .679"

Reviewed some stuff with my up coming class. Also barrowed some supplies.

Spent some time with the Dillon 650 tonight and made 70 rounds of 69gr match 556 ammo

Sold my second upper on the upper on the EE. This will help offset the price of a few other preps.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Loaded another 50 rounds of 45 LC for hunting/whatever.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 11:33:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
10k rifle primers

What'd you give for the primers. If the price is coming down again, it's time for me to put a bunch away again.

Plowed, disked, and raked  another large garden area so that I can get it ready for next years garden. I'll plant it with some type of Cover crop to turn under again in the spring.

$240....not bad but not great...CCI
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I turned this 5.00 box of parts from CL into 3 working lanterns
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z83/jaxtraxx/5lanterns.jpg

Outstanding....
Page / 149
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top