Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 149
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Over the weekend, I successfully tested simplex, off-grid comms with a friend who lives ~22 miles away.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Bbg7ohuvBtA/VYWdgrVOgkI/AAAAAAAAB4M/y7VX1UFvLvo/s1600/FT817ND_Arrow_Yagi.jpg

On my end I ran a Yaesu FT-817ND at 5 watts into an Arrow Antenna 2M yagi. My friend was running a Kenwood 2M rig with a homebrew yagi. Both of us were running off battery power, relying on nobody else's infrastructure.
View Quote

Nice!

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Bought another G19. Gen 3 low round count. Mags brings me up to about 50 glock 9mm mags.
700 rounds of cci mini mags
Various canned items from wal Mart.
More salt.

On a side note, I now have 2 G19's and a G17. I think that and the AR's make for good home team load out with shared mags, parts, etc.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I found 8lbs of  Bullseye online and jumped on it as fast as i could.  Haven't seen powder available in a long time....
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Bought a JP Armageddon roller trigger today. The perfect prep LOL

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.4_roller.php

Can't wait!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Just bought 120 Rounds of Gemtech 187gr 300blk on "clearance" for $16.99 per 20.  Damn I wish subs would get lower in price.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought another surefire flashlight and battery set.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I took my 11 year old daughter to the range where I let her shoot my Ruger 10/22. She's been shooting a Savage Rascal single shot and I felt she was ready to graduate to a semi auto. Last week, I installed a Choate M4-type stock so that the rifle fits her, and also added Tech Sights. She did great.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Butchered 20 meat chickens, which is half of the flock. Finish Sunday.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
picked up a couple more heavy chains, for working on my property, / clearing land and pulling stumps..been picking up tools i need, sawsall, drill, etc.... . a few months back i picked up a husqvarna 450 rancher chainsaw for $200.00... i love it, works great.  i picked up a few 55 gal barrels to store kerosene and diesel fuel in, while its still cheap. been working on clearing some land, so i can build a pole barn with a apartment in it in a year or so...  ( thats my house plan.... build a pole barn with apartment, say approx $15-20,000.... and live in it, until im ready to build my in ground house.....

basically been working on a wide variety of things lately.

1. repaying old debt../ working on my credit....FINALLY, done will ALL divorce debts.. ! ! ! !  i picked up a couple low balance cards, to help jump start my credit.
2. savings..... FINALLY, getting somewhere good ! feels nice to have  cash for emergencies.....
3. picked up another g-17, and mags, and some cheap ball ammo.....
4. g-43 on layaway.... ( for ccw)
5. been buying  reloading supplies last three paydays, to get well stocked... ( powder mostly, as its the weak link in my inventory).
6. reloaded 500 rds of 762 ammo.. and iv been doing a lot of long range shooting / practicing.... ( not easy to hit things at 750-1000 yards ! ! ) but im getting better at it !
7. just did a trust.... going to branch out into nfa / silencers / sbr's..... i can see supressors as a nice advantage to have in the future.
8. planted a small garden.... enjoying it.   added some gardening tools. ( planning to buy a disk, and a tiller for my tractor)
9. added a little silver...
10..... i bought a cheap, used car, thru my local bank to help establish myself., (about to approach my other bank for a small loan from them as well, to do the same thing, something cheapish... maybe a loan for a decent generator... mostly to get established with them.. . .....( to help me get home financing in next few years..
11......a plan.... of what i want, what i need... and where i want to be in the next 5 years... with a plan on how to get there.... basically.
a. pay off all debt. / repair credit.....
b. get money saved.../ and preps accomplished...
c. get some land improvements done...
d. get land paid off....
e. use savings to pay for a pole barn, with a apartment, and install septic, water, and power... live cheap, and save even more money, no more renting !
f. take paid off land.. to use as collateral.... and savings, and get house built. possibly build with cash in steps,,,( depending on how the country's going)

this planning is  probably my most important prep.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Started making a list of all the holes in my plans.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought two more new 55 gal water barrels. Gives me around 355 gallons of water. Running out of room in the garage.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought 1300 rounds of Federal auto match at Gander. Sale flyer alerted me and they still had some when I got there.
Bought a wise bucket of fd veggies and sauces. Need to up our food and water preps. Pretty sure dead beat in-laws will show up here and my wife wouldn't have the heart to turn them away.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Created two ziplock first aid kits (scratch and scrape kits)

- (1) Sandwich Zip bag
- (2) Pair Nitrile Gloves
- (1) Waterproof tape
- (1) Fabric tape
- (1) Cling Tape
- (1) EMT Shears
- (1) Rubber Band
- (5) Finger tip bandages
- (5) Knuckle bandages
- (10) standard band aids
- (5) large band aids
- (5) 2x2 steril gauze
- (5) 4x4 steril gauze
- (4) non stick 8x3 gauze

These were created for the low price of just over $25 for both.  Could have been a tad cheaper going with other brands here or there.

Still need to add
- Tweezers / Safety pins
- Standard assortment of ointments etc
- rolled gauze
- ACE Wrap
Few other odds and ends, but the bag is pretty much full.  This is just a temporary bag though. Just building blocks of a larger more complete car kit.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 6:39:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't see any ointments or other antiseptic type items, though you mentioned they were...

Seems almost no better than what I usually do at home for cuts and scrapes, paper towel and some masking tape. Like a trauma style kit, but for petty/superficial injuries.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:47:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't see any ointments or other antiseptic type items, though you mentioned they were...
I mentioned I still needed to add them.  These are just the "basics" for our car kits.  Still finalizing the extra bits and about to pull the trigger on Rescue Essentials.

Seems almost no better than what I usually do at home for cuts and scrapes, paper towel and some masking tape. Like a trauma style kit, but for petty/superficial injuries.
Like... and I quote... "scratch and scrape kits".  You know those things that a 15mo tends to get loads of.  I guess every first aid kit that has band aids, gauze and tape should just replace it all with a few paper towels and a tiny roll of masking tape.  That'll make me look like a great parent.  "Oh here, baby girl, I got a wadded up paper towel and some tape"...  stay classy
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 2:23:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I mentioned I still needed to add them.  These are just the "basics" for our car kits.  Still finalizing the extra bits and about to pull the trigger on Rescue Essentials.

Like... and I quote... "scratch and scrape kits".  You know those things that a 15mo tends to get loads of.  I guess every first aid kit that has band aids, gauze and tape should just replace it all with a few paper towels and a tiny roll of masking tape.  That'll make me look like a great parent.  "Oh here, baby girl, I got a wadded up paper towel and some tape"...  stay classy

Great 'prep'...
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Great 'prep'...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great 'prep'...

You clearly don't understand 'preps' ... go back watching doomsday preppers and browsing the zombie forum.

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Picked up my Mossberg 590 Special Purpose from my dealer.  It'll make a good HD shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Bought a Uniden BC996XT scanner from Amazon and got it programmed. Now learning how to best employ it to learn what's going on in my AO.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Learn to shoot a muzzle loading shotgun.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Weeded my potato patch.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Brought home our Dexter heifer calf. She will be for dairy production.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Ordered a receiver hitch from Amazon for my '07 Xterra. I should have it by next weekend, when I plan to bring it to a friend who can install it for me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Bought 2 more cases of Datrex emergency drinking water pouches  to add to the 6 cases I already have. Added another 2000 rds of .22Lr, 100 rds of .38 +P HP and 100 rds of .38 FMJ. 4 cans of mt. house dehydrated veggies, and 2 cans of sausage crumbels. 4 cans of insect repellent, a gas transfer pump and last but not least a water pump for our 55 gal water barrels.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Spent $300 on Honeyville order. Made a can rotator for the pantry. Added 3 cases of canned veggies from Costco. 1 case of water also Costco.

Have definitely swung the pendulum from firearms and ammunition to food and water.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:04:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Picked peas, okra, and tomatoes. Made spaghetti sauce and canned 7 quarts. Vacuum packed the okra and peas. Got a deal on three 50 round boxes of 5.56 ammo. Clipped all my chickens wings.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Filled three propane tanks for .99 a gallon and put up 30 gallons of gas in scepter mfc's Took a load of scrap in and rat holed the cash
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Picked up a 1000 RD box of Win M-22, at Wally World. For 50 bucks, they had two, and a ton of mini mags. Had to post here to brag and share this little ray of hope for us preppeers and plinkers. Thought bout getting the second box, but left it for the next lotto winner.  Have heard mixed reviews of M-22, but I need to plink so we will see.

Maybe a good sign 22 is slowly but surely coming back into steady existence.

Happy hunting!
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Sprinkled lime over the potato plants.  An old timer told me that lime deters the bugs from eating the leaves.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Found a Mercury dime in the cash drawer and switched it out for a normal dime.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Took my son and a nephew shooting with my best friend. Kids were hitting steel at 50 and 100 yds. with an M&P-15/22

Couple of cheap Surefires, doing good on exercise...not too good on eating healthy

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:50:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Bought 2 boxes of 308 and 2 boxes of 22lr at Academy.
Bought 2 wwb of 9mm at Wal-Mart. No perfecta.
Doing worlds longest yard sale tomorrow. Will look for any prep related stuff - hand tools, etc
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Changed out the filter elements in my wife's parents' big berkey. Their well water is such that they use the berkey-filtered water for all drinking & cooking use. (Before we bought them the berkey, they were carting their drinking/cooking water home in jugs from other people's homes, our business, etc.) We got them the berkey in august 2011, so the two original elements lasted them for four years of daily use, with probably three or four cleanings in the interim.

Put an improved trigger, ambi safety, and Leupold HogPlex 1-4 scope on my new (and only) .300BK AR carbine. Am seriously thinking that it's likely to become one of my primary hunting guns. Our area is brushy so ranges are short, and I'm really coming to like the stupid thing.

Loaned some friends (a married couple) a couple of pistols so they could get their 'unlimited' CHL permits. Only handgun they had was a .38 revolver and in Arkansas, if you qualify in the class with a revolver you can only carry a revolver; if you qualify with a pistol, you can carry either. Loaned  them a Colt 1911 with an AA target .22 kit on it and a ported, long-slide M&P 9mm C.O.R.E., to make the class as easy to pass as possible. (I know - qualify with a hard-to-shoot .38 snub and you can only carry a revolver. Qualify with an impractical, under-powered .22 target pistol and you can carry any handgun you want. Retarded, but typical of bureaucratic logic... )
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Bought an old Coleman lantern with reflector. First Coleman lantern that I've ever owned.
Looks like this
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:38:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Onions I started from seed are done. Drying for storage.
Picked all sweet corn. Those stalks will be fed to the cow, the garden there tilled and cover crop.

Green beans producing 2 paper grocery bags a week. Giving a lot away. Anything other than choice, the cow slurps them up like spaghetti.

Potatoes are almost done. Pulled up 3 plants of Norland reds, filled 1/3 of a 5 gallon pail. Should push 300-400 pounds when done.

Dent corn and carrots doing great.

Ordered a vent to turn a 55 gallon barrel into a gas fueling station for 91 non-corn.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:12:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Replaced the shocks on my truck. Stopped the ridiculous body lean in corners. Also found a busted sway bar end, will fix that next.

Cleaned out the gun safe and found I had 70% of the parts to build 2 more AR15s.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Been up to a lot lately.  Getting the girlfriend unit on board (with great success!).  Always a good thing.

Today, I ordered:

- 6 5-gallon buckets
- mylar bags
- o2 aborbers
- new vacuum sealer
- new heat sealer
- quick clot
- betadine

That's in addition to stocking up on a ton this past weekend (food and water).  In fact, my prep budget is tapped for a couple of weeks, but I think it was spent very well overall.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I had a 10% off coupon at Cabela's, so I bought

10 boxes of Fiochi 9mm at $10.35 a box, should have bought all they had
3 boxes of Barnes and 3 boxes of PNW 300 BLK
3 lbs of AA1680
A Life Straw for my wife's DD
A Tactical Solutions rail for the 10-22 TD

Been eating right and exercising, trying to get back where I need to be.

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Got my $250 Amazon gift card in the mail.  I have used a student credit card for 9 years and just realized it had a rewards system. I'm torn between putting it towards a solar generator or an optic to finish out an AR build. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Got my $250 Amazon gift card in the mail.  I have used a student credit card for 9 years and just realized it had a rewards system. I'm torn between putting it towards a solar generator or an optic to finish out an AR build. What do you guys think?
View Quote
Do you have a regular generator?

Do you already have optics on other ARs?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#41]
200 rds of .45 ACP to feed my new Ruger SR1911 5" and a Alien gear OWB holster that I am not really sold on yet.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Took delivery of 1k of  mini mags PSA had on sale.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I received a Lodge Sportsman Grill, and picked up 4 more bags of charcoal at Costco.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#44]
a.) bought a DuroMax DuroStar 10000W generator as a backup to my hondas  (got this for 619 and free shipping. not sure if thats an overall good deal or not, but it was needed)
b.) Canned green beans
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Found 2 pre-64 90% silver coins while rolling change to cash in at the bank.  I also completed building two "Get Home Bags" for me and my brother.  We both work 35 miles from home and I figure this would be prudent carry in our vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Got another 2-pak (18 lb. bags) of charcoal at Costco before its gone for the season.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#47]
1.  20 Peace dollars for $16.00 each (AU's), 20 Silver Eagles for $18 each, $10.00 of 90% for $14.00 a dollar value
2.  24 pints of peaches my Amish friends can for me
3 . 4 cans of MH chicken picked up on sale
4.  20 gallons of 91 octane in Scepter cans
5.  Got a friend educated on buying silver
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Bought:

-All American canner
-Utensil/doodad kit for above
-emergency medical kit
-MRE's
-Life Straws

ETA: - also bought heirloom seeds.

I've been steady on prepping lately, quietly socking away some canned goods/water and ammo here and there, but I have to admit that all of this DJIA stuff kind of put a fire under me. Not so much to panic, but because I know other people may eventually.  

Don't let this thread die!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:15:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Bought Honda FI2000 :)
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#50]
1k rds of 5.56 arrived today.

Confirmed function and zero on my LMT MRP after taking th barrel out for a deep-clean. Even though barrel came out and optic came off, still had a perfect zero. Thanks for outstanding quality LMT!

Going back to the range to test the new 5.56, see how I like it, and if so then buy another case or two (since I split the first case).

ETA: Pending better availability and maybe a Larue optic/mount combo deal, looking to pick up a Trijicon MRO.
Page / 149
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top