Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 149
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I  replaced both my 3 point slings on both of my ARs with Magpul MS1 2 point slings. Removed a Harris bipod to save weight. The AR weighed about as much as a M1 Garand.with the bipod installed. Picked up 200 rds of .223 from Cabelas that was on sale. Bought 2 windproof and water proof blankets and a box of handwarmers from Costco to put in my vehicles now that winter has arrived..Spent some time at the range just before it snowed.and tuned up an AR and a Glock 21. Still working on my preps inventory..
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Got a job

Paid a bunch of debt

5 gal kerosene

1000rnds .223

Picked up handwarmers for car kits

Set of base layer clothes

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Still unloaded from hunting season. Ordered some Coleman parts to fix up a few lanterns I have. Discovered some gaskets and mantles had gone bad after we
Got to where we were going.

I bought a 12 ton bottle jack from harbor freight on the way out of town in case we needed to change a tire on one of our trailers. Well, we sliced a tire on the camp trailer trying to pull out of camp. I pulled that new bottle jack out of the box and proceeded to fight with it for 1/2 and hour trying to get te trailer high enough. Has to be the slowest damn jack in the world. Tried bleeding it even. Took it back for a refund yesterday. I ended up using the screw jack from my pick up. Worked way better.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:25:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Worked on a handrail for the stairs the run up the driveway yesterday.

Started replacing the crusted up, fuzzy dryer vent tube to save energy costs from having to run loads twice (by
started, I mean the replacement the wife bought was about a foot too short, so we'll have to get another one or
an extension )

Finish building this .300BLK beasty tonight:
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Four new tires for the truck.
Checking out ultra sonic cleaners.
Ordered a set of BUIS for a pair of AR's.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Finally got our wheat in proper storage. Dusted it with DE, put into lined 55 gallon barrels. 4 barrels full to the top
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]

That's a lot of wheat, `rat.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a lot of wheat, `rat.
View Quote
Yes, yes it is! I roughly estimated about 1.3 million calories in wheat alone!

We mill all flour we use, so it will only last a couple years.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#9]
received 200rnds of 556 from freedom munitions
Received new grips for Beretta 92
shipped a barrel off to get cut/pinned/welded
Received that $13 ebay hong kong jacket from the thread in GD
picked up more hours at work tonight
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Went back to Cablea's and bought 600 more rounds of American Eagle .223  that was on sale. I have this gut feeling about the continued availability of ammo so when I can afford to buy it I will especially when it is on sale.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Picked up 1 ton of wood pellets.  We use the pellets to supplement the heat pump.  Keeps the house nice and comfy.  Wife loves it....so that means that I love it.  

Tried out several bags of pellets for sale locally and decided which ones work the best for the money.  Ended up paying $3.78 per bag.  Not a bad price from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:15:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Went by the store and picked up a bunch of the single serving Spam packets and single serving tuna salad packets to replace the ones that are expiring soon in our GHB. The ones coming up on their expiration date will be rotated back into the snack stack when we take the kids somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Ordered some smartwool socks from Cabela's on sale for $9.99 on pre black Friday sale.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#14]
200 more rounds of American Eagle .223 still on sale at Cabelas. Buy when the price is right.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Decided it would be a good idea to load up a few extra mags and do some drills with the long guns and pistols to shake off any cobwebs before the Ferguson news release.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I was at Walmart the other day and noticed they had the Libby's Beef crumbles on the clearance rack.  They had 8 pouches for $1 each.  I think they were usually $2 or more.  I picked up all eight!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Bought a Goal Zero rechageable lantern which puts out 250 lumens and some rechargeabe batteries. I have been working on inventory of our prepps and had to trash a couple  cases of  veggies which were 2 years past expiration.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought a Subaru Outback. Should get me around my Bol much better than my old Corolla.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Picked up some .223 ammo today.  Also went and sighted in a new(to me) Colt .38 Detective special and an AR that I just put together.  Found a bunch of brass at my shooting spot
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Ordered a Honda EU2000I companion from Mayberry to go with the EU2000I I already have. $50 off, free shipping and got a camo cover for $1.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Took some near expiration date cans to the interfaith food pantry.
Inventoried the shelfs.
Switched all the high hat lights to sealed LEDs, the old open cans were drafty.
I should be able to power all the lights and the furnace and water heater with my small genny.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Not stuff we've done in the last day but the last couple weeks...

New high efficiency upright freezer, 20.5 cuft.  Saving the old beast as a spare for now. May reuse it for another project sometime.
Woodstove insert and new chimney liner installed and inspected
12" of blown cellulose in both attics (blocked and baffled also), exterior walls to be done tomorrow
More fire wood put up ( we never have enough it seems no matter what)
More deer hunting
Scrap to the scrap yard
Pumped one septic tank into the other and cleaned the plugged filter which caused a backup inside...huge learning curve for me as I have never tinkered with a septic field/tank or 1300 gallons of human waste. Learned a ton though
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#23]
My father is in his mid-70s and no longer uses his snow blower (pays the neighborhood kids to clear my parents' driveway and sidewalks), so he gave it to me. I then gave my smaller blower to my younger brother, who has less area to clear. My new/old blower is bigger than the one I gave to my bro so it should make life easier. I now need to order a spare drive belt and replace the shoes. Once the weather warms up I'll clean up the rust on it and repaint it.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Bought a Subaru Outback. Should get me around my Bol much better than my old Corolla.
View Quote

Now you need to put a Ring Mount on it and pick yourself up a belt fed MG.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Drove down to Ham Radio Outlet in DE today and came home with a Yaesu FT-817ND, tuner, and DTMF mic. It covers HF, VHF, and UHF. It is tiny and will pack easily for hikes, camping, or bugout.

Shown with 3.5" long SAK for scale:

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:41:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Outdoorsman generator ordered one of these last night, ship to store for $329. I would have saved an extra $30 had I waited till today I guess. Oh well, still a great deal.

Got the lightning deal on the Pocket Filter

Went to my locally owned boot store, bought some Hathorn Romeos, some wool underwear and wool socks.

Got new Cooper A/TWs on our Touareg earlier this week. They stick pretty well to nasty roads.

Taking the wife out of town for her birthday tomorrow. Eta, hoping to hit some snow to really try the new tires out
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#27]
2 50 rd ct boxes of 22’s from Walmart!  Yay! For me, first nonchalant purchase of 22 ammo from Walmart since Libvommit ruined life for America by voting Ofuckingstupid in Office.  

100 rds of 38 spl.

Rotated 7 gallons of gas.
Guiltily added another $0.15 of stupid tax per gallon into the pockets of the Snake Oil salesman, too. That is even after paying the forced state tax of ~60 cents and the ~19 cents of federal tax. And to think, I’d cross the street to save a penny on a gallon.

Test ran generator.  Sweet wife was interested in learning how to start the generator.

Bought a new Energizer Weatheready 360 Degree LED Area Lantern.  
Original lantern was tested a couple of weeks ago and the main bulb would not light.  The main bulb was upgraded from the incandescent bulb with a nite-ize bulb  several years ago.  No voltage to bulb socket.  Upgrading new lantern with D-cells and using the new AA cells in an LED motion detector.

ETA- put nite-ize bulb into flashlight.  Works great.

Last week we had furnace problems.  Used the two Big Buddy’s to supplement heat.  
Damn if we didn’t cross thread the regulator with a throwaway cylinder. Weak link on the Buddy heaters.  Used the Mr. Heater Fuel Filter trick to make the regulator usable.  Glad I had another filter to use.

Picked a couple brass fittings
to make an adaptor from male steal thread throwaway to female brass throwaway to mate to the weird soft aluminum Buddy female regulator.  

Bought three Cree braziillion lumen head lamps from Amazon.
They were talked about here on ARFCOM, but I can’t remember who to give credit to. They were ~$7 shipped with the bigass rechargeable batts.  
Made a list of all battery using devices that we’d like powered in the event of a power outage and started increasing stores to have at least two battery change outs for every device.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Shot in a carbine match today.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Black Friday was good to me. I was able to pick up 600 rds of CCI .22LR Mini Mags, 500 rds of American Eagle .223. 12 Mapul magazine assists and a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 BDC rifle scope for my Ruger American 30-06 and it was all on sale with the exception of the .22LR ammo. I stood  in line at Cabelas to get the Augason farms 30 day survival buckets for one person but they went like hot cakes and I did not get one. From what I could see guns, ammo and food storage were in great demand Friday. Just goes to show you that people are thinking about their survival should SHTF.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Ordered shear pins and replacement skid shoes for my dad's old snow blower that I picked up on Thursday. Also cleaned up the unit a bit and hosed down every nut and bolt I could see with Kroil.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Rotated out 10.5 gallons of gas and topped off both vehicles using fuel reward points - paid a $1.30 a gallon
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#32]
After examining the old snow blower I got from my dad, I decided that I'll be returning it to him. It needs new tires and has a lot of rust. He can keep it at his place and I'll come over and use it if necessary.

Since I'm returning it, I went to Lowe's and bought a new Troy Bilt that will be delivered on Monday.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Black Friday was good to me. I was able to pick up 600 rds of CCI .22LR Mini Mags, 500 rds of American Eagle .223. 12 Mapul magazine assists and a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 BDC rifle scope for my Ruger American 30-06 and it was all on sale with the exception of the .22LR ammo. I stood  in line at Cabelas to get the Augason farms 30 day survival buckets for one person but they went like hot cakes and I did not get one. From what I could see guns, ammo and food storage were in great demand Friday. Just goes to show you that people are thinking about their survival should SHTF.
View Quote

You didn't miss anything, most of them are a feel good, not even close to a 30 day supply. You are better off getting a case of # 10 canned FD,
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#34]
got some rifle (AR-15), shotgun and pistol training done this week. Finally tested one of my Surefire 60 rd. mags with MK262 (BH 5.56mm 77 gr. OTM) in my primary AR - ran perfect. My Surefire 60's to this point had only been tested with XM193 (they ran perfect)
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
got some rifle (AR-15), shotgun and pistol training done this week. Finally tested one of my Surefire 60 rd. mags with MK262 (BH 5.56mm 77 gr. OTM) in my primary AR - ran perfect. My Surefire 60's to this point had only been tested with XM193 (they ran perfect)
View Quote

Glad they work for you. My 2 didn't work 100%, dumped them and got Pmag 40's for extra capacity. Today, I cleaned, lubed, test-fired truck long gun (Mini-14 folder).
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Finished my 303 brit scout gun project finally.  I'll hopefully test fire then zero this coming wk.

I disassembled the entire action and trigger. Cleaned up the sear a little, polished all places where there is metal on metal contact. Polished the bolt and receiver , cut and recrowned the BBL (18") , recrowned it. Aftermarket scope mount to replace rear flip sight. Turned out well.

Other than my 22s I've killed more critters with this rifle than anything I own.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Got 5 more gallons of gas ( $ 2.15  here). 5 gallons of diesel ( $ 3.24)for my torpedo heater and 5 gallons of kerosine ( $ 4 .16 )  for my Kero-Sun heater.

With the addition of the Kero-Sun, i now have 3 alternative methods of heat( thanks dad ! )

1. Kero-Sun
2. Big Buddy
3. Reddy Heater (forced  air, torpedo style.)

And i set up a power station with a marine battery and a Black And Decker 1000 watt converter . Runs the Reddy heater perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

CTD had it. I never thought that I'd see good quality, Boxer primed, non-corrosive surplus .303 Ball ever again, much less in clips. They are still listing it in stock, either in 480 round bulk boxes, or 450 rounds in clips:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ProductListing.aspx?catid=544

FWIW, Prvi Partizan and Sellier & Bellot make good, reloadable .303, but since this case came with $90 worth of clips, I thought it was a bargain.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Received 450 rounds of HXP.303 Mk.VIIz Ball on clips today.

http://flintlock.org/pics/var/resizes/lee-enfield/clips.jpg?m=1414536780

Nice!! I haven't seen 303 for a good price in quite some time.

CTD had it. I never thought that I'd see good quality, Boxer primed, non-corrosive surplus .303 Ball ever again, much less in clips. They are still listing it in stock, either in 480 round bulk boxes, or 450 rounds in clips:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ProductListing.aspx?catid=544

FWIW, Prvi Partizan and Sellier & Bellot make good, reloadable .303, but since this case came with $90 worth of clips, I thought it was a bargain.

Thanks again for the heads up on this ammo. I just got my case (lose not stripper clips) that I ordered monday.

Gonna bed the action on the rifle today (or at a minimum start it) .
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Bought 8 cans of dehydrated food from Emergency Essentials and a half dozen emergency candles. I also bought  300 rds of Federal 5.56 M855 and I ordered a new Nickel Boron coated bolt carrier group from AIM. I bought my wife a new backpack for her get home bag to replace the big bag she had which when loaded with all her gear she could not carry because it was to heavy. I am going to rethink the things that go in her pack to cut down on weight. Neither one of us are spring chickens and weight comes into question on what we can or can not carry.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Bought an XD45 to replace my 1911 as EDC. Just didn't have the $$ for another 1911, and 13+1 sounds nice
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Used the stored fuel to fill the work van.
Filling cans tonight or tomorrow.

Grabbed some preps from Sierra Trading posts.

Bought 2 new knives for the kids to "give" me.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Shot my two new pistols for the first time (1911 and LCP) and ordered a holster for the 1911.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Bought my gifts for Christmas since they tell me I'm so hard to buy for...
Holster and 2 sets of grips for my new S&W Md.29 Deluxe.
Becker Eskbar.
Woodland BDU pants
Rain pants and top.

I don't see how any of this was difficult to figure out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#44]
I received the Nickel Boron coated bolt carrier group from AIM and got it installed in my Bushmaster AR15.  I can't wait to go to the range to shoot a few hundred rounds and then see if the bolt is as easy to clean as advertised. Repacked my wife's get home bag. I had to remove some items to get the weight down so she could carry it. Got it down to 16 lbs which she says is more manageable. I am going to repack mine now to get the weight down so its not so damned heavy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#45]

My Wally World continues to have near over-flowing ammo shelves....so I relieved them of 200 rounds of Tula .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

She needs to make sure the bag fits her well, too. Women are typically stronger from the hips than upper body, and even sixteen lbs can change your gait enough on a long walk, causing more blisters or shin splints, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I received the Nickel Boron coated bolt carrier group from AIM and got it installed in my Bushmaster AR15.  I can't wait to go to the range to shoot a few hundred rounds and then see if the bolt is as easy to clean as advertised. Repacked my wife's get home bag. I had to remove some items to get the weight down so she could carry it. Got it down to 16 lbs which she says is more manageable. I am going to repack mine now to get the weight down so its not so damned heavy.

She needs to make sure the bag fits her well, too. Women are typically stronger from the hips than upper body, and even sixteen lbs can change your gait enough on a long walk, causing more blisters or shin splints, etc.

Thanks we will keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#48]

I prepared my resume.

After 25 years with the same company, the last 15 as a production manager, I'm quitting and changing careers in 2015.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#49]

Today I did two things.

1. Made the last payment on my mortgage.

2. Signed up for some advanced computer skills classes.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I prepared my resume.

After 25 years with the same company, the last 15 as a production manager, I'm quitting and changing careers in 2015.

View Quote

Good luck in your new endeavor, and congrats on paying off your mortgage
Page / 149
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top