Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 149
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Rounded up all the extra building materials that were purchased from Home Depot.
Going to return them and keep the gift card for future deals.

Decided to start the Dual Sport...battery dead.
I dug out charger, now I have to attach the battery tender leads so I don't have to remove the seat.

Rounded up all the 30-06 ammo, going to use it for trade bait.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:06:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Took the wife to the range with some Leo friends and did some movement drills w barrels and steel plates. Wife outshot all of us w a G17 .22 conversion, G17 9mm, and an xds .45. I couldn't be happier and it made it even better that she was having tons of fun and her competitive nature got going. Happy wife = more preps!  Also shot a few Anschutz rifles and zeroed my Tikka T3 .300 win mag.    Great day!!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
SNIPQuoted:

(It's not always about guns & gas masks... )
View Quote

What? Heresy!

Recently-
Built a gun rack in the store room.  This version holds # bagged or cased long guns, # bagged/cased handguns, and # ammo cans.

made laundry soap

cleaned up, seasoned, and shipped 4 Erie Griswald cast iron heirloom skillets to my newlywed daughter (they belonged to my grandma).

Went to the range and sighted in my new  10/22 TD 50th year Anniversary Ruger.   Won it at a Friends of the NRA Banquet.  Put Tech Sights on it.  It shoots well.

Organizing the new storage room in basement.  We have been moved a year and still whittling away at it.

Put ammo in one place.  Now all ammo is in 50 cal cans.

Stowed ~30 Great Value Red Beans and Rice paks in a 5 gal bucket with a Gamma lid.  Put a couple 200 cc O absorbers in the bucket.  I don’t know or think the Gamma lids are air tight.  The food was in plastic lined foil bags with some kind of ‘air’ charge in them to make the bag puffy.  I’ve never opened a bad one yet.  I make soup out of the it by adding more water and some salsa.  Stuff is pretty salty!  

We lost power a few weeks ago after a bad storm.  Found out it is tough on my loving wife to heft 5 gal gas jugs to refuel the generator.  Started procuring eight 1 gallon gas jugs from the Farm Supply store.  Will fill, snake oil, and rotate by calendar quarter.

Stored an extra 4 cans of coffee.

Put up 6 qts of pork bar-b-que.  Put it up on a shelf, that is.  Big B Bar-B-Cue.  Sadly, jars are not re-usable for canning; bastard lid size.

Changed the oil in the generator and snow blower, ran both.  Replaced jacked up pull rope on snow blower with some OD 550. Tacticool, now.  

Refurbished two beat up propane lanterns. New mantels, new bails, and a glass globe.  Keeping a SS mesh globe on one.

Re-working the EMERGENCY manual.  Lots of gaps since the move.

Found all three meat grinders and the grain mill.  Put them in one place, finally.

Put most emergency lighting and spare batteries in garage fridge.

During recent power outages found it is difficult for dear wife to open garage door if it is ‘secured’ by removing the rope and nylon tying the release closed.  Made a kit bag with instructions and pix on how to open, quick attachable rope, scissors to cut security tie, and a flashlight- my quick wits allowed me to ascertain that the garage is dark without electricity.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:...Stowed ~30 Great Value Red Beans and Rice paks in a 5 gal bucket with a Gamma lid.  Put a couple 200 cc O absorbers in the bucket.  I don’t know or think the Gamma lids are air tight.  The food was in plastic lined foil bags with some kind of ‘air’ charge in them to make the bag puffy.  I’ve never opened a bad one yet...
View Quote

More info on these...?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Ordered a pair of Honda generators.

I'd have gotten the 6500w model, but didn't feel life spending twice as much, so I settled on a 3000W and a 1000W portable.

Need more Jerry Cans...
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Received and tested a new window pass-through for use with my Yaesu FT-7800R 2M/70cm base station radio.

A like-minded friend just got his ham license and he was able to hear me from his home on 2M simplex using his Baofeng HT. He couldn't reach me with that, however. He will be installing a Kenwood 2M rig and an antenna on his roof, so once that's up we'll be able to communicate w/o infrastructure. The distance is ~22 miles.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

More info on these...?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:...Stowed ~30 Great Value Red Beans and Rice paks in a 5 gal bucket with a Gamma lid.  Put a couple 200 cc O absorbers in the bucket.  I don’t know or think the Gamma lids are air tight.  The food was in plastic lined foil bags with some kind of ‘air’ charge in them to make the bag puffy.  I’ve never opened a bad one yet...

More info on these...?

Amazon Gamma stuff, prolly has reviews

There have been several mentions here on ARFCOM.  I got mine at the Farm and Home and Home Depot for about $7 a lid.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#8]
May have found a replacement injector pump for my bargain mep002 generator.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#9]
20 cans shaghetti sauce and 20 snack packs shot the bow. Worked on a side job for cash.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought two 30-06 rifles with scopes and slings from an estate sale. Sold one later in the afternoon at a profit. Now I have $250 cash into a nice Belgian made FN 30-06.

Consolidating calibers to some degree and a 30-06 bolt gun is very practical.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Hit a garage sale, made up a pile...offered $40, she was thrilled as they are flying out tomorrow.
Gun cleaning kit and patches
Steel wool
plumbing stuff
sockets
5 chainsaw oil
Assorted spray lube.
Post hole digger...new.
masonry tools,
Paint scrapers and putty knives
3/4" galv. banding material.
Table saw blade
10 diamond blade.
8 Coffee mugs
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Had two 100lb tanks of propane filled.  I'd like to get one more before winter.  We run a small propane fireplace with one (usually 2 winters worth of propane) and the second is a backup and fuel for the Champion propane generator.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Stumbled across a decent deal on some 124-grain 9mm XTP & bought 25 boxes of 25.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Will be picking up a trailer and another MEP 802A generator.
Recall work on the jeep.
PMCS on the truck.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't usually include gun stuff when I post to this thread, but I swapped out all my carry ammo today.

Found decent price on Ranger SXT, so it just made sense to refresh everything.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#16]
More generator parts
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Sold one of three generators to free up some cash.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#18]
My local Sam's Club had a couple of the emergency food buckets on clearance.  Got it for $75 vs over $100.  I have 2 now.  Also been picking up AK brass to convert to 6.5G at a local shop.  They will sometimes have new Win that is primed for $25/100.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Picked up a what looks to be a new Marcato S/S pasta maker for $15.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Picked up 48 pounds of salt and 25 pounds of sugar at Sam's Club today.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Working on testing out SHTF comms with a buddy. He made a copper pipe "Slim Jim" antenna for 2M, and we're testing simplex comms between our respective locations about 22 miles apart. We're able to use a repeater but would like to get simplex comms working so we don't have to depend on any infrastructure.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Filled 3 MFC gas cans.  Total was a little over 17 gallons of gas.  This will be my winter stored fuel.  Need to fill a couple more cans with diesel, fill my torpedo heater with kerosene, and fill my two 5 gallon cans with more kerosene.  

Don't know what this winter will be like but want to be ready if it ends up being cold with power outages.  

Also got a new 3 burner propane cook stove.  It's primarily for camping.  The 2 burner camp stove will become the new backup house stove.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:03:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Obtained three 55 gallon barrels and put up ~ 165 gallons of water. Putting together a kit bag with lid wrench, hand pump, instructions, etc.  Have a 12 VDC Flojet RV/Marine pump with 5/16 quick connect fittings.  Will add a cig lighter plug and a switch to this weekend to power the pump from a battery.  This will give us 5 gallons a day for a month, if needed.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#25]
I've got extra propane tanks, a Mr. Heater, a dozen jerry cans, food-storage pails and Mylar bags, emergency radio, a case of MRE's, a Berkey water filter, some LCI water cans, and a LaRue Stealth Upper all inbound. I'll be picking up a large water-storage tank soon.

My credit card is screeching in agony.

I'm mildly freaked out over Ebola and the coming winter in MN. Gotta keep the wife safe.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I've got extra propane tanks, a Mr. Heater, a dozen jerry cans, food-storage pails and Mylar bags, emergency radio, a case of MRE's, a Berkey water filter, some LCI water cans, and a LaRue Stealth Upper all inbound. I'll be picking up a large water-storage tank soon.

I'm mildly freaked out over Ebola and the coming winter in MN. Gotta keep the wife safe.
View Quote
If you are around this area, this guy's barrels are GTG. I've used him a couple times. Nice guy, good stuff. Most still has labels on what was in it, not washed out so you can confirm.

Think about finding a kero heater and filling a 55 gallon barrel with pump kero if you can. I feel it will be a nasty cold winter.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Building chicken coop (Thread going)

Canning like crazy (garden in season)

Running our 30 day challenge (thread going)

About to stockpile Prairie Gold wheat as we are now going to be using it exclusively for all our flour needs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you are around this area, this guy's barrels are GTG. I've used him a couple times. Nice guy, good stuff. Most still has labels on what was in it, not washed out so you can confirm.    

Think about finding a kero heater and filling a 55 gallon barrel with pump kero if you can. I feel it will be a nasty cold winter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap! You just saved me a ton of money! They're not even all that far from where I am! Thanks!

Yeah, this winter is going to be a bitch. We lost power for an hour two weeks ago, and it completely freaked out the wife (yeah, I know...). So I ended up with a new generator. Not sure if I can get a transfer switch put in soon enough, though...
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Holy crap! You just saved me a ton of money! They're not even all that far from where I am! Thanks!

Yeah, this winter is going to be a bitch. We lost power for an hour two weeks ago, and it completely freaked out the wife (yeah, I know...). So I ended up with a new generator. Not sure if I can get a transfer switch put in soon enough, though...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are on a well, I re-wired my well to actually have a standard plugin (my well controls are outside, old well pit style) that plugs into a dedicated outlet. If no power, I simply unplug the well from the outlet (I also unplug it before heavy thunderstorms) and plug into generator. POOF, running water!

ETA: I'll go take a pic of the well wiring setup later today if you want.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm on city water here. I want to store about 165 gallons (three drums). I had planned on buying a single unit for about $240, but you can't beat half that price with a stick, even if it's only two barrels.

We don't live in a dry state (as recently pointed out to me), so that's what the Berkey will be for.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I'm on city water here. I want to store about 165 gallons (three drums). I had planned on buying a single unit for about $240, but you can't beat half that price with a stick, even if it's only two barrels.

We don't live in a dry state (as recently pointed out to me), so that's what the Berkey will be for.
View Quote
Yup, that will work! I like 55 gallon barrels anyway over larger totes. You can move them with a hand truck, and I don't like all my eggs in one basket.

I would personally still filter water out of your barrels through the berkey before using them for anything other than toilet. On that note, but yourself a $60 chemical toilet. I have learned the Mrs likes them a LOT better than 5 gallon pail system. Takes so little water to use.

Remember to have a way to cook off-grid! Either propane camp stove or kero stoves work well. ( I don't like depending on using the grill in case of less than ideal standing outside weather.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a Coleman dual-fuel two-burner stove, and a smaller one-burner camping stove. And the grill.

Reckon I need to stock up on Coleman fuel.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Changed the oil and serviced the diesel generator in preparation for winter.  Topped off the tank with fuel.  Still need to re-fill my diesel cans.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Just tilled the garden under a bit early this year.

Re-planted the whole thing in Buckwheat as a green manure (cover crop) and plan to till that under later in October to feed the soil

In the meantime, it will quickly produce a canopy to choke out weeds that try to germinate.

It also converts some bound nutrients to a more available form for plants to use next season.

- We also put up a lot of tomato sauce.

-  Got in a little range time with my neighbor and son
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I am now recovered from getting my appendix removed. A good prep

Cleaned up my little thermoelectric stove that charges my iPhone and kindle with twigs and pinecones.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Chopped some wood.
Got a broke AR type carbine back up and running.
Got some sailboat time in the last few weeks.   Sanity as well as a skill.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Organized a bunch of prep-related stuff (some gun, some PPE) that was scattered helter-skelter between my home & work locations (self employed). Was surprised at some things I found when doing so; things I'd forgotten about.

Also, discovered tacos: http://www.highspeedgear.com/taco-pouches.html Ordered five various versions, along with their pre-assembled leg rig. Just received them yesterday, but so far, am pretty impressed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#38]
20 gallons of kerosene...

Have a good kerosun heater....Will heat a 1700 sf home. Have triple plane windows and high r factor envelope of living space. Have placed multiple carbon monoxide alarms around home..
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#39]
4 More 20L water cans showed up today,  Some more Izzy and H bandages as well.  

Not necessarily a prep but got a second cast iron dutch oven as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Friend told me a house near him was being turned over the the bank.
Owner had passed and he was a hoarder
His 82 year old brother was living there until the bank took over.
I bought 3 full tool boxes of wrenches and sockets, a new Craftsman ATV/motorcycle jack, folding 8' aluminum ramps, and a bunch of other stuff for $140.

The old guy was a machinist, my friend asked his brother about scrap metal and he said he could care less, take it.
$918 in copper and aluminum...

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Added a few more cans of MH to the food stash... Reworking BOBs.. They have been neglected a long time... MREs were long expired etc...
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Pulled in all potatoes. We got about 100 pounds, so that is approx a 60% loss of expected yield due to a grub infestation (and less than ideal weeding).

Only enough for about 6 months...
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:33:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Replaced the injector pump on my MEP 002 generator. Pump works, but the engine still won't fire. On to the next thing!
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Filled up 2.5-gallon cans of gasoline for the cars. Squirreled away 8 1-pound propane bottles for the Mr. Heater, and 5 gallons of Coleman White Gas for the lantern and the camp stove.

Should be getting another shipment of stuff tomorrow.

Still have to order my water tank.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#45]
I've been organizing my food preps. Got a stamp gun to put the expiration dates where they are visible and organized my shelves. I kind of let it get out of hand as I gathered my food preps.

I see now what I need to eat first. I have a lot more food than I thought I did!

I'm going to label the shelves as well to make it easier to keep organized. My storage room has more supplies than some stores I've been in! I think I will also install a deadbold or other lock of some kind.

I knew I was kind of a prepper, but I didn't realize how hard core I was.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Replaced the injector pump on my MEP 002 generator. Pump works, but the engine still won't fire. On to the next thing!
View Quote

I'm not so sure that "good deal" is turning out to be such a good deal (guess I'll need to bring my own genny when I move in to the barn).
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I've been organizing my food preps..... I kind of let it get out of hand as I gathered my food preps.
View Quote

I'm right there with you! I've been dragging my feet for quite some time now, always planning on taking one of my days off and completely going thru my food preps to pull an inventory and to better organize them. I seem to constantly come up with the excuse "Well, I'm going to be getting in another x amount of #10 can cases next week, so I'll just wait until after that..."

I gotta get my act together!
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Ordered a factory refurbished kitchenaid HD Professional series mixer for my wife, who's old standard duty mixer is starting to show its age.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:29:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm not so sure that "good deal" is turning out to be such a good deal (guess I'll need to bring my own genny when I move in to the barn).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've already decided to sell it.

It's not my only one. Generator #2 will be moving up there soon, after I get something to replace it down here in phoenix.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:31:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Sold my old motorcycle for some extra cash.

Time to cut back on projects and focus on getting the house in order.
Page / 149
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top