Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#1]
put something on the inside of those panels.........glue on some foam, dyna-mat, or something just to keep them from resonating.

Aren't the line on the panels supposed to be vertical? I guess the way you have it better matches the house.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
put something on the inside of those panels.........glue on some foam, dyna-mat, or something just to keep them from resonating.

Aren't the line on the panels supposed to be vertical? I guess the way you have it better matches the house.
I was planning on sandwiching some kind of sound absorbing material between the outer wall and an inner OSB wall.  The horizontal orientation lended itself better for the 5' spacing per side as well as matching the siding on the house.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I found some old HD concealed hinges that I plan using for the shed door.

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#4]

wasn't this thread started in 2009?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

wasn't this thread started in 2009?

ar-jedi

I'm pacing myself...and it's too freaking hot outside to do anything by the time I get home from my real job.  

PS:  I did get the hardware cloth you recommended today.  The OSB floor isn't screwed down yet, maybe tonight.  9:00 PM and 92*F.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Stapled in the 1/4" square hardware cloth on top of the weed barrier this morning and put back down the OSB flooring.

Needed some way to waterproof the top of the enclosure where the 5/4" deck boards have gaps in between them.  Decided to put another sheet of Hardie Panel fiber cement board on top and use the 5/4" deck boards as a sub floor for support.

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

in most households, the family congregates in the kitchen –– so i think your plan above is good.  one other thought ... if there is a bathroom off to the side of the kitchen, it can be handy to light that up as well.  people still expect privacy even with the power off, and hence it's natural to close the bathroom door behind you.  with no windows, or at night, the bathroom will be pitch black.   Yep, there is a bathroom on the other side of the family room which is open to the kitchen.  Good idea.
a couple of other thoughts:
–– do you have a sump pump?  No, two story home on concrete slab.  
–– do you have anyone with any type of medical condition which requires 24x7 power?  No.
–– will you need power for an electric garage door opener, or can everyone open it manually?  Yes, this could be handy for my wife & kids.
–– power often goes out in the icy cold of winter; can you heat the house with wood, or is it gas heat and you'll need the blower?  Yes. Woodburning fireplace in family room, soon to be augmented with blower.  
–– how far from the kitchen GFCI outlets to your radio room?  otherwise, have enough coax on hand to pull the antenna into the kitchen.  About 25 or 30'.  Directly across hall from bathroom.
ar-jedi

Those are a lot of good ideas, ar-jedi.  I was going to try to limit my choices to 5 circuits, or 1 side/phase of my transfer switch and forget about the cordset jumper from L1 to L2.  Now I'm leaning more towards using more (8) 120VAC single phase circuits to keep my options open when using these small inverter generators.  The only split phase load I would maybe need to power with a larger generator (minus the "special" cordset) would be our electric water heater @ 240VAC, 4500W.  That would be nice for showers during an extended outage.

Wife and daughter went to the ballet yesterday and left me and my son home to do more manly things!  
Finally got the transfer switch wired to the load center and mains power is now passing through it to the (10) circuits I chose.  Here they are:

A  REFIG/FREEZER #1 breaker #14                        
B  MICROWAVE 1500W breaker #24                  
C  GFCI KITCHEN OUTLETS NORTH breaker #20
D  GARAGE OPENER/ADT ALARM breaker #25U
E   LR/FOYER LIGHTS breaker #23U                

F  REFIG/FREEZER #2 & FREEZER #3 UTIL & HALF BATH LIGHTS breaker #21U
G  DEN/FAMILY ROOM/FP LIGHTS breaker #27L
H  GFCI KITCHEN OUTLETS EAST breaker #22
I   KIT/NOOK/FR LIGHTS breaker #27U
J  FUTURE FIRE PLACE BLOWER breaker #30

These are all ground floor, 120V single phase loads I chose to power with my paralleled EU2000i's.  Not all simultaneously, of course.  So I did make a special L5-30P to L14-30C cordset with L1 & L2 shorted together.  Painted the L14-30C connector orange to ID it as a special cordset with the jumper installed.  I'll also put at least one laminated warning placard on it IDing it as such.

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Still have some work to do on finishing the generator shed.  Need to cut holes for the inlet air louvers and exhaust fan.
Insulating / sound reducing are on the to-do list, also.

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#9]
looks good
on your "special" cord i would either tie the black wire in on both ends, or neither end

i would also try to get some power upstairs somehow, lighting and one circuit. (of course this would not be a problem had you used an interlock kit, but i think i already said that before)
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

looks good
on your "special" cord i would either tie the black wire in on both ends, or neither end

I agree... neither end.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#11]

i subscribed to your newsletter but have not received any new information recently.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

i subscribed to your newsletter but have not received any new information recently.

ar-jedi

Sorry for the delayed updates...home life caught up with me for awhile.  

I did put a warning placard on the "special" cordset with the jumper between L1 and L2.

The exhaust fan is a blatant copy of Quarterbore's setup.

The concealed hinges worked out pretty well on the door.  Still need to find an appropriate locking latch.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Just looking.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 4:57:51 AM EDT
[#14]

a successful test run?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 5:30:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Hey, those are my company's engines (RR) on that aircraft!  

Inlet louvers installed on door.  This weekend should be good weather wise for an extended run test before the bad weather gets here.  Stay tuned!  

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 5:56:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey, those are my company's engines (RR) on that aircraft!  

it took me a couple of minutes with google images to find an picture showing a 787 taking off *and* one which you could see the RR logo...

btw i previously was employed by B CAG on a 777 airframe materials project.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/9/2011 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Putting some run time on the EU2000i's, and took some sound pressure level readings before any sound proofing of the generator shed as a baseline.

Link Posted: 10/14/2011 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#18]

excellent DIY project, excellent writeup, excellent SHTF capability, excellent dog.  5 stars all around.

ar-jedi

ps:
sound pressure numbers aside, what is your "subjective" view of the noise emitted by your setup?  can you hear them running from your kitchen or bedroom?  would the neighbors next door know the generators are running?  would the neighbors behind you/across the street know the generators are running?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/14/2011 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks, and thanks for all the help, ar-jedi.

The subjective noise from them running in the enclosure is very quiet, nearly lost in the background noise of the neighborhood.  From the kitchen I can hear a low hum, but you really have to listen for it.  Our master bedroom is upstairs on the rear of the house overlooking the back yard.  From there it's the same story.  Barely audible.  The neighbors next door shouldn't be bothered by the noise if they're aware of it at all.  From the street, which is about 140' away, I have a hard time hearing them.  Any noise in the area, dogs barking, traffic on the street, etc. would mask the noise the EU2000's make in the enclosure.  I'm glad I chose these generators!
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Awesome job. I've enjoyed following this thread.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice job, well done !
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#22]
It would also help with future critters to pull the floor again and fill the joist spaces with small stones. I kept screaming to myself it wasn't mine and you built it the way you wanted. I'd of skipped the joists completely and filled it up with concrete using the outer boards for the form. But I still like the job you've done.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks, everyone.  It was certainly a learning experience.  

Quoted:
I'd of skipped the joists completely and filled it up with concrete using the outer boards for the form.

I think that if I were going to keep the generator(s) in the enclosure all the time, I would pour a concrete slab like you suggested with eye bolts buried in it to secure them to.  The way it stands now, the EU2000's stay in the attached garage until they are needed.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top