User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 25 of 38)
Page / 38
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JellyBelly:

I saw that too. It sucks that you can't buy JUST a can. As I don't need a nozzle for every single can the added cost kinda makes it a deal breaker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tj99jp:
It seems Lexington Container Company no longer has the original cans with no spouts or the non CARB spouts

I saw that too. It sucks that you can't buy JUST a can. As I don't need a nozzle for every single can the added cost kinda makes it a deal breaker.

It might be the EPA regs require this kind of can to be sold with a nozzle.

Better this than no can at all??? Except plastic WalMart cans?

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tj99jp:
It seems Lexington Container Company no longer has the original cans with no spouts or the non CARB spouts

Called them and you can not buy them without the CARB nozzles.   He did mentioned that yoo may want to get them now as they may quite selling them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 12:11:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mr_Smiley] [#3]
After contacting valpro enquiring on some bulk sales, I have a theory that Lexington was getting them factory direct, and Atlantic British is getting theirs from a UK distributor.

So AB should still be selling non carb cans for the foreseeable future. A good question as well, for those in CA and the like, is whether having a single "carb approved " nozzle in let's say a lot of 4 jerrys, makes them all carb compliant, because from what I can tell the approved cans are identical and just include the new nozzle.

ETA: Not sure if this is relevant but ABs cans are now marked Wavian.

Can anyone remember the ABs source? I remember it had 4x4 in the name.

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mr_Smiley:
After contacting valpro enquiring on some bulk sales, I have a theory that Lexington was getting them factory direct, and Atlantic British is getting theirs from a UK distributor.

So AB should still be selling non carb cans for the foreseeable future. A good question as well, for those in CA and the like, is whether having a single "carb approved " nozzle in let's say a lot of 4 jerrys, makes them all carb compliant, because from what I can tell the approved cans are identical and just include the new nozzle.

View Quote

I keep mine from a few years ago in the truck. Are there any markings that would tell you what the manufacturer is?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By TailHunter:
I keep mine from a few years ago in the truck. Are there any markings that would tell you what the manufacturer is?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

If you look on the side of the cans you should see a rectangle in the middle of the X stamp. If you got them from a few years ago they are most likely marked with a V that has a small flame in the middle(Valpro).

The cans I bought from them last year were marked Valpro, and the Wavian cans are valpro as well (lot/date stamps in the same location).

So either Valpro bought the Wavian name, or Wavian is having Valpro make their cans.

When I enquired to Valpro on pricing of bulk sales to America they told me they don't sell their cans here do to carb/epa and referred me to their US distributor that sold the same cans Lexington has.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#6]
So are the Ohio Prep supply cans GTG?
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#7]
My 4 are Valpro from at least 4/5 years ago
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JIMBEAM:

I have mine sitting on two rows of 2x4s.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JIMBEAM:
Originally Posted By Beowulf:
Originally Posted By Brett6547:
Is there a certain way to store your NATO cans? I know not to set it directly on the ground (concrete and metal is not the best). Did anyone make a shelf or a holding station. They will be in my garage

I keep 4 cans in my garage and just put down some card board for them to sit on.  It acts as a bit of an insulator but I'm really just looking to prevent the cans from getting scratched up.

I have mine sitting on two rows of 2x4s.

Someone here masked the bottoms off with tape and used a can of spray on bed liner. A great idea if you ask me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Swedish donkey dick in the mail...

Now that was a weird sentence.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#10]
So I'm going to Vancouver Canada for a work trip and DS tactical has new Sepcter cans for $69.99.   Can I buy them and ship them to the US legally?
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

i thought it was rover parts
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Besides the gasket, what is the difference between the Scepter water cans and fuel cans?
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:18:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#13]
Originally Posted By alphabavo:
Besides the gasket, what is the difference between the Scepter water cans and fuel cans?
View Quote

The Scepter water cans have no gasket other than the plastic molded 'mating seals', that usually leak.  

The entire cap and molding is different between the Sceptre MFC and the water cans.

The type of plastic used from what I can tell, is the same. Both are heavy-duty and I prefer both to metal. We use the Scepters to store gas long term -some going on 6 years,  because of the excellent MFC seal  --without snake oil additives that are basically mineral spirits for folks with too much $$$ to waste..  

Both will store gasoline, and one member here ran tests using O-rings in the water cans that fit the molded caps. I bought some O-rings and ran tests. I chose not to store gas in them and went to alternative metal cans, ---that said we have accumulated a bunch of new and used Scepter MFC's [and spare parts] over the years before they were restricted, and love them.

We like the Scepter water cans as well, and use them for transporting 5 gallon qtys of water short distances in the mtns.

Some of the dark colored cans on the pink foam have gas or diesel in them and the square metal tank to the left has kero, that 75 gallon tank came from an auction, 2 for $50...   They sit on wood 4 x 4 blocks to make it easy to get under them with a pallet jack and move them if necessary... We transport them full on a trailer, about 500 pounds full...

There's more cans on the shelves to the right of the visble cans and some metal ones on pink foam insulation.

Wait a minute, those aren't plastic Scepter cans, those are five gallon pails from the bulk fuel distributor, about $6, the best storage value going, just not Tacticool for broad 'survivalist' appeal...  The Scepter's are on the shelves to the right... You can barely see the chain on the right that keeps them from being shaken off in a earthquake...

The red drum is empty and a spare for the barrel stove I did a topic on a couple years ago and works well...

This is the first test of it after assembly,  outside lit by my fire-bug...  

There's the option brackets installed to make a 2 barrel stove but I haven't done it.

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

Rover parts/Atlantic British are the same guys.

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 1:44:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mr_Smiley] [#15]
Got the Swedish donkey dick.

Highly recommended. This thing is bad ass.

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 2:55:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Repairman_Jack] [#16]
Got the Swedish donkey dick.

Highly recommended. This thing is bad ass.

View Quote

Swedish donkey dick = bad ass.  Got it.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Old Grouch used to carry the nice Red NATO Cans. Not sure if he still carries them in stock. You might want to shoot him an email. I bought a 4-pack of the red ones a few years ago. They are what I consider my best cans.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#18]
What is this odd can?

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Valpros first attempt at a carb compliant jerry can.

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:11:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#20]

We use about 5 of these [among others] for long term gas storage. Some > 5 years...

Work very well and the supplied gasket doesn't have an issue with gas.

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#21]

We use about 5 of these [among others] for long term gas storage. Some > 5 years...

View All Quotes

Will blitz spouts fit?
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By bassackwards:

Will blitz spouts fit?
View All Quotes

Will blitz spouts fit?

Not sure...

I've seen these cans is lots of places --or copies of them, incl Harbor Freight and farm stores, over the years.

Will need to look in a few days.

Incidentally, the black plastic cap is/was sold on eBay for one place, there was a thread abt them a few years ago, I have one in the mtn on my 'desk'...

The threads IIRC are a heavy square cut, sort of like an Acme thread.

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Not sure...

I've seen these cans is lots of places --or copies of them, incl Harbor Freight and farm stores, over the years.

Incidentally, the black plastic cap is/was sold on eBay for one place, there was a thread abt them a few years ago, I have one in the mtn on my 'desk'...

View All Quotes

Will blitz spouts fit?

Not sure...

They were on sale for $35 and I didn't fo because of the non-nato style spout.  They look well constructed based on the way the handle is welded on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 1:11:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#24]

They were on sale for $35 and I didn't fo because of the non-nato style spout.  They look well constructed based on the way the handle is welded on.
View All Quotes

Will blitz spouts fit?

Not sure...

At the mtn now, as far as the metal cans, I see a couple Blitz that I've had for 20 years that fit the std old US screw-in nozzles.  They have a rolled base seam that can leak over time.

One of these cans has a highly volatile cleaning liquid [ trichlor] in it and since the '90's has lost little fluid.

The other metal cans here are Midwest brand [same as in your pix ---  if I needed some, I'd snap these up, I don't get hung up with the Tacticoolness of NATO cans ] and are welded all around and they have the small black caps. I don't have a nozzle to fit them that I see ATM... I like these cans a lot because of the welded seams. They came from various places like H-F, and farm stores over the years.  H-F had the best deals years ago at about $30 each.

Time to empty is likely a lot longer than NATO and the rest of the can types,  because there's no internal vent to assist flow.

If I needed a nozzle, I'd check eBay and search Midwest nozzle.  I looked on Google real fast and see these cans branded Briggs at Zoro Tool for ~$50. I'm sure they are less expensive elsewhere. Those come with a plastic nozzle that looks fine.

The rest here are Scepters with the wide mouth screw in opening that fit the US Mil nozzle and Scepter's two kinds of nozzles. I like these a lot too, no issues remaining hermetically sealed and swelling up as fat as a porkypine...  

We store alcohol gas for years with no mineral spirits/snake oil added with no issues. I gave up my security blankie at a tender age...

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 1:41:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#25]
Looked at H-F and they still carry these according to their website.

The spouts sold on eBay are claimed to be 'self-venting' Plenty of cans there too...  I'd stick with the NATO cans for the same price tho...

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 4:22:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#26]
Here's how we store cans on pink insulation to protect the metal can bottoms...

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 5:00:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#27]
While I'm posting pix...

Here's the outdoor storage tank for kerosene/diesel for the Toyostove vented heater in the container.

WONDERFUL heater...

The red tank is a H-F abrasive blaster tank that has a lot of ports already installed and is a fine solution to store fuel.  Holds about 8 gallons, and my SO's job is to fill, it -not often because the container is so well insulated and the heater efficient.

Last year she wanted a way to fill it without having to lug a jerry can or pail of kero, she suggested running a copper line to the adjacent storage container.

You can see some aircraft stainless brake hoses saved from an AD note, that hook the tank to the underground copper tube and the heater supply copper tube.

The copper tube coiled on the bottom with a sump drain -goes along the container in a protective PVC conduit and a valve just before entering the container to the stove, located under and to the right of the 'kitchen sink'

Here's the bulk storage tank that I plan to use to fill the above secondary tank to reduce [the already few] trips to fill.

The end of the underground copper tube connected to a 90 degree and nipple, is just sticking out the PVC bushing...

An emergency Kero Sun heater is on the floor next to the vacuum cleaner

The tires on the tank have been replaced with semi-pneumatic, so they don't go flat...

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 6:14:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#28]
I think the threads on that can are the same as the threads on your lawnmower. I'm pretty sure I have one in the garage, took the CARB stuff out of the nozzle (It all comes out with a needle nose pliers), and capped it with a Briggs & Stratton 5044K type cap. EBay. Try your lawnmower cap on first, and see if I am right.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#29]
How did I do?

$10

I ended up grabbing these for $20 ea.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Looks great inside...

Boat tanks are nice cause they're versatile...

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Looks great inside...

View All Quotes

Looks great inside...

Exactly, you can plumb them into anything.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Any thoughts on the cans from Ohio Prep Supply. Look to be a good buy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:59:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Monoz] [#33]
Water can question: Is there an off-the-shelf spigot somewhere for the Scepter civilian water cans (like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MTI0GA)?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By Monoz:

Water can question: Is there an off-the-shelf spigot somewhere for the Scepter civilian water cans (like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MTI0GA)?

View Quote

I have a few of these and they work great.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I have cans from Ohio Prep Supply.  They are the European NATO cans with epoxy lining.  I have stored diesel in them for a couple of years now with no problems.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Neeglik:
Any thoughts on the cans from Ohio Prep Supply. Look to be a good buy.
View Quote

I recently bought a military classic can and a red can and one of their nozzles. I don't think they're as nice as the ones from Rover Parts. They don't include the locking pin for can lid on the mil classic and the red  one came with retainer clip like on a trailer hitch pin. The nozzle only works on the military classic and none of the other nozzles I have will fit on the red can. The red can is marked with W ....my cans from rover parts are wavian. I will probably sell the cans from Ohio prep supply and stick with the Rover Parts cans. They are worth the extra cost to me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:48:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spudgunner] [#37]
It looks like Roverparts has a "Free Shipping on Orders over $199" special going on through 7/5. Over time, I have ordered a total of 10 cans from these folks and I've always been happy with quality of them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:28:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#38]
Anecdotal info re: Midwest cans

A few minutes ago SO called me to get the cap off...

She was easily able to do it with Channelocks

I had written notes on the can, -it was purchased from Harbor Freight in 2013, $38.99 or something...

Also noted it had the cap replaced with a WEDCO cap from eBay.  Looking at the cap, the PN is 84004.

IIRC, they only cost a few $$$ and there discussion on this thread abt these ~2 weeks ago.

The can was fueled in 2013, no snake oil added, and she's been using the fuel in the Honda 2000 for a month or so, I don't know when she took it down, but it's only 1/3 full.  Probably longer than a month, considering the Honda doesn't burn much in this application.

The "Rubber? " seal in the caps works very well with gas.

The can has no rolled seams so is GTG for a very long time.

Link Posted: 8/6/2016 9:29:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kelty] [#39]

Originally Posted By Spudgunner:

It looks like Roverparts has a "Free Shipping on Orders over $199" special going on through 7/5. Over time, I have ordered a total of 10 cans from these folks and I've always been happy with quality of them.
View Quote

Are their cans still legit? They have the standard notice: " Note: Federal law prohibits the use of this container for the storage of fuel."

But are they still made the same now as they were before the EPA got involved?

Link Posted: 8/6/2016 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Kelty:

Are their cans still legit? They have the standard notice: <em style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0); font-family: Arial; font-size: small; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238);">* Note: Federal law prohibits the use of this container for the storage of fuel.[/span]
<em style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0); font-family: Arial; font-size: small; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238);">
[/span]
[span]But are they still made the same now as they were before the EPA got involved?[/span]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kelty:
Originally Posted By Spudgunner:

Are their cans still legit? They have the standard notice: <em style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0); font-family: Arial; font-size: small; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238);">* Note: Federal law prohibits the use of this container for the storage of fuel.[/span]
<em style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0); font-family: Arial; font-size: small; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238);">
[/span]
[span]But are they still made the same now as they were before the EPA got involved?[/span]

Yep their cans are good to go
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#41]
This is the way a Scepter fuel can should look in the hot months...

Beautiful...  

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 8:07:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TailHunter] [#42]
This is the way a Scepter fuel can should look in the hot months...

Beautiful...  

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af66/expy37/GAS%20%20CAN%201_zps4rddguop.jpg

View Quote

Wait, there are months that are not hot? Does not computer :-)
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:39:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: McKnife] [#43]
This seemed like a pretty good deal to me, especially with $10 shipping.

http://www.copesdistributing.com/pack-polish-20l528g-jerry-green-p-10423.html

They are similar to the ones from RoverParts, but I do not see the red lining on the inside, nor does it have a locking pin. The welds are great. The pin doesn't bother me as the top closes very tight, but the lack of the red lining makes me wonder about longevity.

Anyone else have info on these? Reviews?

ETA: These cans are made by Tutajewski. http://www.tutajewski.com.pl/

Still researching reviews.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By McKnife:

They are similar to the ones from RoverParts, but I do not see the red lining on the inside, nor does it have a locking pin. The welds are great. The pin doesn't bother me as the top closes very tight, but the lack of the red lining makes me wonder about longevity.

View Quote

That's a good price for 5 cans.  The technical specs do say they are lined to protect the interior.  You're probably ok, Gelg uses what looks like paint and it holds up fine.  

Is the pin just missing?  From some of the pictures it looks like the lids can accommodate the pin and you can buy them separately, if they'll fit.  Which brings up the big problem with cans like these.  The vast majority of accessories (spouts and fuel can adaptors) available to us here in the US probably won't work with these.  Maybe not a show stopper but something to be aware of.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#45]

That's a good price for 5 cans.  The technical specs do say they are lined to protect the interior.  You're probably ok, Gelg uses what looks like paint and it holds up fine.  

Is the pin just missing?  From some of the pictures it looks like the lids can accommodate the pin and you can buy them separately, if they'll fit.  Which brings up the big problem with cans like these.  The vast majority of accessories (spouts and fuel can adaptors) available to us here in the US probably won't work with these.  Maybe not a show stopper but something to be aware of.
View All Quotes

If they had a couple of spouts included I would FO but I have enough stuff on shelves waiting for another piece to be complete.
Although I find myself using a a siphon most of the time these days.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Who's got the best deal on NATO style jerry cans at the moment?

British Atlantic is at $44.95 right now.  How often do they run sales?

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Dan_Cooper:
Who's got the best deal on NATO style jerry cans at the moment?

British Atlantic is at $44.95 right now.  How often do they run sales?

View Quote

Atlantic British is offering free shipping, so 4 cans for $169.95 for what most folks would consider the gold standard.  Maybe not great but not awful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-20-Liter-Metal-Jerry-Cans-European-NATO-Style-Green-GJC20-/400924140518

Majorsurplus.com is offering free shipping on orders over $100.00.  The code is FREESHIPPING2016.  They have surplus cans for $29.95 they say are first quality.  The picture shows a Wavian can but one of the two reviews says they’re Wavian while the other says Bellino.  Bellino was certainly a quality manufacturer but I’ve never used one of their cans so can't say what fits and what doesn't.

https://www.majorsurplus.com/euro-military-steel-fuel-can.html

The deal posted by McKnife for 5 cans is pretty good and even better if the spouts and adaptors fit.

Prepped and More is still selling the Gelg cans, which are good cans except for the spout/adaptor issue.  They used to sell a spout that fits these cans so that might be worth checking on.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By BUCK1911:

If they had a couple of spouts included I would FO but I have enough stuff on shelves waiting for another piece to be complete.
View All Quotes

I don't use spouts on the large cans either (I still use them for the small ones) but I do use an adaptor to run my generator directly from the cans.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#49]

I don't use spouts on the large cans either (I still use them for the small ones) but I do use an adaptor to run my generator directly from the cans.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL176/1171244/24547779/409349129.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL176/1171244/24547779/409349130.jpg
View All Quotes

I like it but how does it work? The adapter  doesn't go to the bottom of the can? No vent?
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#50]

I like it but how does it work? The adapter  doesn't go to the bottom of the can? No vent?
View All Quotes

There’s a hole in the adaptor to allow air into the can as the fuel is drawn into the generator via vacuum.  This adaptor works in conjunction with an airtight fuel cap on the generator.  You extend the pickup tube with additional fuel line to reach the bottom of whatever can you’re using (a shorter tube for the 10L cans, as an example).

There is a link to the write up I did on all this a few pages back.

Page / 38
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 25 of 38)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top