BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 24 of 38)
Page / 38
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Have a question about 2 cans.
They are old Grouch cans from 3 or 4 years ago.
Filled them up today and 2 of them are not sealing up they leak when the tops are closed and then the arm is locked to keep the top secure.
I had new seals that I put in one.
The top feels and looks like it is not sitting centers on the opening for the gasket seal correctly.
When they do close it seems like the front is making contact first and causing the rest not to sit correctly.

I almost threw the can across the garage, it was a long day at work.
Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By danpass:
I bought two of those Scepter red USA jerry cans, locally at Pep Boys #05086.

I'll get some pics up by this weekend.

I also went ahead and got a vented spout #03647

A shaker siphon two-pack THIS

I also bought some of the solid yellow caps from EZ-Pour.  THEN I contacted Scepter about possible solid caps for their plastic jerry

Yep, they sell them, Scepter #09643.  Those are on the way as well.  They come with a tether.  The seal in them is FKM.  Viton is a trade name for FKM material.

I was tempted to cut the lock ring off the can.  I'm kinda sorta glad I didn't.  The Scepter caps are also toothed.  That should help with keeping the cap on tight.
View Quote

Pretty sure this is the route I'm going.

Did the EZpour caps work? Looks like they are cheaper.

I have a shaker siphon already, and will probably just use that and toss the new spigot. So annoyed at those things. I have three gas cans without nozzles in my garage because the new ones fucking break constantly. The one gallon I have had for 20 years is still going strong though.

Can I siphon from a can in the back of my truck into the fuel tank of the truck? I have a plastic bedliner now, but will be removing that.

Great thread guys, thanks for all the work. Is there one on tire chains and tow straps?
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By flinch08:Did the EZpour caps work? Looks like they are cheaper.
View Quote

I didn't even try them.  

They didn't fit too well on the new Blitz cans (just like Midwest 5600s) that I got at Lowes back in July.

The caps were too tall.  I actually had to clearance them with a razor knife to shorten them up.

It's nice having the tether and the wrinkled nozzle is nice as well as it is self-vented.  The glug-glug-glug happens at the neck so its a nearly smooth flow at the nozzle exit.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By flinch08:

I have a shaker siphon already, and will probably just use that and toss the new spigot. So annoyed at those things. I have three gas cans without nozzles in my garage because the new ones fucking break constantly. The one gallon I have had for 20 years is still going strong though.

Can I siphon from a can in the back of my truck into the fuel tank of the truck? I have a plastic bedliner now, but will be removing that.

Great thread guys, thanks for all the work. Is there one on tire chains and tow straps?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I also bought some of the solid yellow caps from EZ-Pour.  THEN I contacted Scepter about possible solid caps for their plastic jerry

Yep, they sell them, Scepter #09643.  Those are on the way as well.  They come with a tether.  The seal in them is FKM.  Viton is a trade name for FKM material.

I was tempted to cut the lock ring off the can.  I'm kinda sorta glad I didn't.  The Scepter caps are also toothed.  That should help with keeping the cap on tight.

As long as the can is higher than the gas tank, you're GTG.  So siphoning from the bed of your pickup will work just fine.  

Here's a 3-pack special that Sportsman's Guide is running on Shaker Siphons - $17.99
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/3-hopkins-shaker-siphons?a=669265
Use Promo Code SH1030 for Free Shipping
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#5]

I didn't even try them.  

They didn't fit too well on the new Blitz cans (just like Midwest 5600s) that I got at Lowes back in July.

The caps were too tall.  I actually had to clearance them with a razor knife to shorten them up.

It's nice having the tether and the wrinkled nozzle is nice as well as it is self-vented.  The glug-glug-glug happens at the neck so its a nearly smooth flow at the nozzle exit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flinch08:Did the EZpour caps work? Looks like they are cheaper.

I didn't even try them.  

OK. The link to Amazon is out of stock, but there are some on EBay. I'll look local first.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:

As long as the can is higher than the gas tank, you're GTG.  So siphoning from the bed of your pickup will work just fine.  

Here's a 3-pack special that Sportsman's Guide is running on Shaker Siphons - $17.99
View All Quotes

I have one shaker siphon. Is this something I should keep multies of?
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

IMO, at that price, yes.  
I basically have one for just about every can that I own; that way they can go with the can if you have to loan one out.  Coiled up, they fit neatly under the handles.  
I keep a siphon in both vehicles as well as one in the house.  Just the other day I used one to drain the coolant overflow tank on my Jeep; it was much easier than unhooking a whole lot of stuff just to have to put it all back together again.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds good. Looking forward to having this issue resolved. Being able to get and keep some fuel around will save me time, and it will be nice to carry extra when we travel to hunt.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Alright. Talk about a complicated subject.

How do I tell if the Specter MFC cans on Ebay are the pre 2009 ones?

Seems like plastic may be the way to go but a heavier model sounds better than the consumer ones even if they are expensive.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Seems like plastic may be the way to go but a heavier model sounds better than the consumer ones even if they are expensive.
View Quote

Have I missed something?
Why does the can need to be pre-2009?
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By wshbrngr:

Have I missed something?
View All Quotes

Have I missed something?

I think I figured it out. The advertisements for the accessories for these cans all say "pre-2009". I assume that is when the law was passed that brought us this fucked up waste of technology we have now?

So the can doesn't need to be pre-anything, the people who make parts just need to claim they are only for pre-2009 models.

I think.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#12]

I think I figured it out. The advertisements for the accessories for these cans all say "pre-2009". I assume that is when the law was passed that brought us this fucked up waste of technology we have now?

So the can doesn't need to be pre-anything, the people who make parts just need to claim they are only for pre-2009 models.

I think.
View All Quotes

Have I missed something?

I think.

Bingo
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:25:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wshbrngr] [#13]

I think.
View All Quotes

Have I missed something?

I think.

I never really paid any attention.
I know I bought Scepter MFC's in Texas after 2009, and no one said they were pre-anything.

I thought they just labeled parts and cans as water cans now (or 'Not for Fuel Use').

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 6:49:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lb6r] [#14]
Ok I need a hand.  I have what I thought were 4 Jerry cans.  I bought a set of replacement gaskets for standard cans, and they don't fit.   Mine are wider in the mouth and have a round opening and the swing top.  They are stamped 20l. SEA.  Any idea about the make and where I can get a replacement gasket for gas.  Google is infuriating me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 7:33:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SandHillsHillbilly] [#15]

Originally Posted By lb6r:

Ok I need a hand.  I have what I thought were 4 Jerry cans.  I bought a set of replacement gaskets for standard cans, and they don't fit.   Mine are wider in the mouth and have a round opening and the swing top.  They are stamped 20l. SEA.  Any idea about the make and where I can get a replacement gasket for gas.  Google is infuriating me.http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j116/mos21112/Mobile%20Uploads/20151228_163733.jpg
View Quote
Those are oil cans not fuel cans.

Bottom of the page:

http://www.valpro.lv/en/products/steel-cans/civil/20l.html

Not exactly same can but same reason.

Old Grouch maybe able to help you with gaskets.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok I need a hand.  I have what I thought were 4 Jerry cans.  I bought a set of replacement gaskets for standard cans, and they don't fit.   Mine are wider in the mouth and have a round opening and the swing top.  They are stamped 20l. SEA.  Any idea about the make and where I can get a replacement gasket for gas.  Google is infuriating me.http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j116/mos21112/Mobile%20Uploads/20151228_163733.jpg
View Quote

buy a sheet of Vitron gasket material and trace/cut your own gasket. It might be your only option......
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Blackoperations:

buy a sheet of Vitron gasket material and trace/cut your own gasket. It might be your only option......
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blackoperations:

And try to get a low durometer [soft] material. Viton sheets I've bought have been fairly 'stiff'

A source is McMaster Carr or eBay.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Just opened an Atlantic British can that I put diesel in on Aug 2011. Seal is still perfect, diesel had no issues running in the truck. I have three more still sealed up from that time frame with no apparent issues. I keep two in my tool box in the bed and two in the shed. This one came from the tool box.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Just ordered 4 Atlantic British cans off of eBay. Can't wait to try them out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I wanted to pick up another 4 jerry cans from Atlantic British, but wanted to catch them on sale. I've been watching them for a month or two, but haven't seen them on sale. Does anyone know how often they drop the price?
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By chalco:
I wanted to pick up another 4 jerry cans from Atlantic British, but wanted to catch them on sale. I've been watching them for a month or two, but haven't seen them on sale. Does anyone know how often they drop the price?
View Quote

Wait until they offer free shipping.  That is a better deal than the sale price.  Of course if you wait until they run a sale AND free shipping, you'll end up like me and spend a mint on gas cans!  Well worth it, I love mine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Any opinions on the Ohio Prep Supply, Jerry Cans?

they say made in Europe and exceed NATO spec.

$29.99 each and shipping on 4 to WA was almost $50.00.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By Kubota3430:

View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:47:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Mr_Smiley:

Link?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:

Link?

Picture shows a GELG can. From the banner, the site looks like an alternative outlet to Prep and More. They were mentioned somewhere in this thread before, but I can't remember what was determined. From reading the description and seeing the manufacturing pics, they look to be GTG.
Someone please chime in if that is incorrect.

http://www.ohioprepsupply.com/nato-jerry-can-20l-5-28g/

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:59:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BB] [#25]
So GELG (Polish) vs VALPRO (Latvian); anyone ?
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BB:
So GELG (Polish) vs VALPRO (Latvian); anyone ?
View Quote

GELG cans are first quality cans, probably the equal of the Valpro cans in the quality of build.  The only downside (for me) is that the commonly available spouts and adaptors, almost all made by Valpro, may or may not fit.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Is there a certain way to store your NATO cans? I know not to set it directly on the ground (concrete and metal is not the best). Did anyone make a shelf or a holding station. They will be in my garage
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Brett6547:
Is there a certain way to store your NATO cans? I know not to set it directly on the ground (concrete and metal is not the best). Did anyone make a shelf or a holding station. They will be in my garage
View Quote

I keep 4 cans in my garage and just put down some card board for them to sit on.  It acts as a bit of an insulator but I'm really just looking to prevent the cans from getting scratched up.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Beowulf:

I keep 4 cans in my garage and just put down some card board for them to sit on.  It acts as a bit of an insulator but I'm really just looking to prevent the cans from getting scratched up.
View All Quotes

We use some pink rigid foam plastic insulation that doesn't absorb moisture and rust the bottom edges out over time

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a NATO can from RoverParts that I let a family member use today during the Houston floods. He filled it back up with gas and stabilizer, but when he gave it back to me he said "Man, those things are tough, I had to use a rubber mallet to close the dang lid." My jaw dropped.

The lid was is the "locked open" position when he hammered it closed and bent the hell out of it... to the point where it won't seal, and isn't even tight enough to contain a splash from movement.

I was livid and had some choice words for him, but in the end, it's just a $45 can.

Y'all have any recommendations on salvaging this can? Is the lid available for replacement? Should I just try bending it back?

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By McKnife:
I have a NATO can from RoverParts that I let a family member use today during the Houston floods. He filled it back up with gas and stabilizer, but when he gave it back to me he said "Man, those things are tough, I had to use a rubber mallet to close the dang lid." My jaw dropped.

The lid was is the "locked open" position when he hammered it closed and bent the hell out of it... to the point where it won't seal, and isn't even tight enough to contain a splash from movement.

I was livid and had some choice words for him, but in the end, it's just a $45 can.

Y'all have any recommendations on salvaging this can? Is the lid available for replacement? Should I just try bending it back?

View Quote

No good deed ...
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Pics?

Check out Lexington Container Company. They should have what you're looking for.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Pics?

Check out Lexington Container Company. They should have what you're looking for.
View Quote

http://www.imagebam.com/image/ad4df0478694213

The weld was busted off, and the back-arm is bent!

I found this THIS at Lexington. You think this will work?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes
Pics?

The Lexington cans and the Rover cans are both made at the same factory (Valpro) so you should be good to go.  Do you have an undamaged can to compare it to?  It would be nice to make sure the lid was the only thing damaged.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

I'd say your family members owes you a new can.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Red NATO cans are either out of stock or extremely expensive right now
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Seems they always run a bit higher then the green ones.

With Atlantic British always running deals on the green ones I just kinda gave up and mark the cans on the lid.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#38]

With Atlantic British always running deals on the green ones I just kinda gave up and mark the cans on the lid.
View All Quotes

Spray paint is cheap
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I just got a couple of the new Lexington cans. Does anyone clean these out or are they good to go as is to start filling with fuel?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ACDer:
I just got a couple of the new Lexington cans. Does anyone clean these out or are they good to go as is to start filling with fuel?
View Quote

I didn't clean out my Atlantic British cans before use, it that helps.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By ACDer:

View Quote

G2G.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks guys. Latvian cans that still have the new paint smell. Excellent cans and as good as the german and better then the  french cans I got years ago.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I was planning on purchasing two red cans from Lexington but it appears they are out of stock.

Actually, pretty much everywhere I look they are out of stock.

Anybody have a good source for new red cans?

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 4:01:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Is there any 'easy' way to tell the difference between a viton and a buna gasket?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:17:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#46]
Originally Posted By juan223:
Is there any 'easy' way to tell the difference between a viton and a buna gasket?

Thanks!
View Quote

Maybe not 'easy', however, 'definitive'

Soak in a baby food jar or jip lock bag of an ounce or so of gasoline [any kind]  for a day or two.

The Viton won't swell up.

Buna will due absorbing the hydrocarbon solvents in gasoline

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#47]
thank you
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#48]
It seems Lexington Container Company no longer has the original cans with no spouts or the non CARB spouts
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

I have mine sitting on two rows of 2x4s.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By tj99jp:
It seems Lexington Container Company no longer has the original cans with no spouts or the non CARB spouts
View Quote

I saw that too. It sucks that you can't buy JUST a can. As I don't need a nozzle for every single can the added cost kinda makes it a deal breaker.
Page / 38
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 24 of 38)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top