User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 21 of 38)
Page / 38
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cantonx:
Hey,what happens if you place the can on a treadmill?
View Quote

You won't be able to achieve enough lift to get the lid open.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:28:44 AM EDT
[#2]
great thread a few buddies of mine have been thinking about these cans
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Sportsman's Guide now has the filler spouts for the large-mouth NATO jerry cans in stock. LINK
Limited quantity, so grab em' if you need em'.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#4]
CRAP!
Another plastic can just split a seam!!
Tired of this cheap plastic crap!
Who has the best quality can for daily use?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BUCK1911:
CRAP!
View Quote

This thread is old enough to have to enroll in school and you still bought walmart gas cans???

What you doin?

Feedin' a weed whacker is a bit different than feeding a 100kw generator.  One uses a pint an hour the other will easily need more than 50 gallons an hour.

For little stuff like camp stoves, weed eater, and mower the 5 liter NATO can has been my favorite.  Old Grouch Surplus may still have some surplus 5L cans.

For autos the 20L NATO can works well

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PA22-400:

This thread is old enough to have to enroll in school and you still bought walmart gas cans???

What you doin?

Feedin' a weed whacker is a bit different than feeding a 100kw generator.  One uses a pint an hour the other will easily need more than 50 gallons an hour.

For little stuff like camp stoves, weed eater, and mower the 5 liter NATO can has been my favorite.  Old Grouch Surplus may still have some surplus 5L cans.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
CRAP!

What you doin?

They are old cans and feed different equipment gas and diesel.
I have gone cheap because the get stolen to often but I can just lock up a metal can.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#7]
CRAP!
View Quote

For day to day small engine uses (snow blower, lawn mower ect) I prefer the smaller 2.5gal cans. They are just easier to manipulate when dispensing small amounts of fuel. I personally have a preban classic red plastic can for this that works fine however I have been considering one of the little 10L NATO cans or even clean up a 10L MFC. Its hard to justify buying a 10L NATO or MFC though when my preban can is doing the job perfectly and has been for a decade.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:27:06 AM EDT
[#8]
10% OFF all Jerry cans & accessories at Roverparts.com, good through Monday, 4/20. Go to Off Road Accessories.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TigerForce:
10% OFF all Jerry cans & accessories at Roverparts.com, good through Monday, 4/20. Go to Off Road Accessories.
View Quote

Are these the BEST can?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:49:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#10]

Are these the BEST can?

View All Quotes

Are these the BEST can?

That's a tough question and differs for everybody I think.

We have metal NATO, metal commercial, and the thick walled military Scepter cans.

If I had to go with just one type, the military HDPE Scepter cans [NOT the recent Scepter thin plastic Sheeple cans] would be my preference for several reasons.

We've found both most any metal and the .mil Scepter cans store gasoline well long term, if cared for and maintained correctly.

Metal ones will dent, scratch visibly and rust, inside and out, so that's why we [and NATO perhaps] prefer the plastic Scepter cans.

The .mil Scepter cans will set you back about $65 each, typically for nice used ones on eBay. New, figure $100.

The prices are all over for metal NATO cans, and retailers USED to have and may still have, good quality commercial metal cans [those with a screw in metal cap].

We have some metal Harbor Freight cans from years ago that are still in fine condx.

I've typically paid from $40 to $64 for commercial metal cans over the more recent years, so compare that to the cost of a NEW .mil Scepter can, and the premium isn't so bad for a far better can.

I don't like the metal commercial cans with the new plastic cap that are now commonly found, although we bought some in the past 4 years or so and they work OK. Usually use them for diesel and not gasoline.

There's replacement caps for them on eBay for too much $

As far as the Walmart type plastic gas cans [and the newer Scepter thin plastic Sheeple cans], -they're OK for short term storage for lawnmowers, saws, and stuff, I have a couple but don't use them much anymore for more 'important' stuff like gennys and machinery.

I'd generally steer clear of metal cans made in China, altho I'm sure there's some that will work fine.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Old Grouch Surplus and Atlantic British are very very well trusted vendors.

Best???

Best is as best does...

By your own words:  Best used to be disposable...Or at least cheap enough that you did not feel too bad when the can was stolen.

Now you appear to be changing lanes, so you appear to define best as...does not break.

Again I ask you.  What are you going to do with your gas can?

Until you tell us clearly what you need a fuel can to do we cannot make a clear "best" suggestion.

Are these the BEST can?

View All Quotes

Are these the BEST can?

CRAP!

They are old cans and feed different equipment gas and diesel.
I have gone cheap because the get stolen to often but I can just lock up a metal can.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

We have metal NATO, metal commercial, and the thick walled military Scepter cans.

If I had to go with just one type, the military HDPE Scepter cans [NOT the recent Scepter thin plastic Sheeple cans] would be my preference for several reasons.

We've found both most any metal and the .mil Scepter cans store gasoline well long term, if cared for and maintained correctly.

Metal ones will dent, scratch visibly and rust, inside and out, so that's why we [and NATO perhaps] prefer the plastic Scepter cans.

The .mil Scepter cans will set you back about $65 each, typically for nice used ones on eBay. New, figure $100.

The prices are all over for metal NATO cans, and retailers USED to have and may still have, good quality commercial metal cans [those with a screw in metal cap].

We have some metal Harbor Freight cans from years ago that are still in fine condx.

I've typically paid from $40 to $64 for commercial metal cans over the more recent years, so compare that to the cost of a NEW .mil Scepter can, and the premium isn't so bad for a far better can.

I don't like the metal commercial cans with the new plastic cap that are now commonly found, although we bought some in the past 4 years or so and they work OK. Usually use them for diesel and not gasoline.

As far as the Walmart type plastic gas cans [and the newer Scepter thin plastic Sheeple cans], -they're OK for short term storage for lawnmowers, saws, and stuff, I have a couple but don't use them much anymore for more 'important' stuff like gennys and machinery.

I'd generally steer clear of metal cans made in China, altho I'm sure there's some that will work fine.

View All Quotes

Are these the BEST can?

These?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#13]
User spuddicus has used Scepter MFCs for$25/ea. They have varying degrees of paint on them but clean up well.  I have a technique for cleaning them up if you want it. Any MFC purchase should also include new gaskets from a reputable source.  Cap flange replacements are too big for a pita to not replace them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:58:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LTCetme] [#14]
Double tap
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#15]

These?
View All Quotes

Are these the BEST can?

These?

That is a MWC water can.  Not made for fuel.  Doesn't mean that you can't use it.  But proceed at your own risk
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:11:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#16]

These?
View All Quotes

Are these the BEST can?

These?

Those are water cans...

Some have used them for fuel, but not worth the hassle for a couple cans.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:47:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BurntEnds] [#17]

Are these the BEST can?

View All Quotes

Are these the BEST can?

They are good cans. I ordered gasket seals from them for the cans. They were sent to me under the wrong name. When I sent them back via UPS they told me they had to charge me a 20% restocking fee.  I told them I sent them back because it was not in my name. They were assholes about it.  I wont do business with them again.  They fraked up and then fraked me for their frak up.  Take your chances with them. Dave Furiani was the guy I dealt with.  I bought over 30 cans from them,  I just wanted back up gaskets. It  was a pain in the butt.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BurntEnds:

They are good cans. I ordered gasket seals from them for the cans. They were sent to me under the wrong name. When I sent them back via UPS they told me they had to charge me a 20% restocking fee.  I told them I sent them back because it was not in my name. They were assholes about it.  I wont do business with them again.  They fraked up and then fraked me for their frak up.  Take your chances with them. Dave Furiani was the guy I dealt with.  I bought over 30 cans from them,  I just wanted back up gaskets. It  was a pain in the butt.
View All Quotes

Are these the BEST can?

I'm a bit confused - was the only problem the name on the address line?  Right price, right item?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Wrong name on the box. I did not open it as it was not addressed to me.  I had to drive 45min to a FedEx store to return it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:19:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Wrong name on the box. I did not open it as it was not addressed to me.  I had to drive 45min to a FedEx store to return it.
View Quote

When that happens to me I let FedEx know and they come pick it up.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#21]
If you live near a military base, you can usually find scepters on craigslist.  Or in the local surplus stores you can sometimes get lucky and find them.

I bought I don't know how many of those cans in various conditions, my 'surplus' pile is down to cans with broken pieces.  Missing gaskets, or have busted rings on the flanges.

I was lucky enough to find a few boxes of new replacement parts at a scrap metal buyer / surplus store for a good price, all of the cans I use have new parts on them.  I ran out of the gaskets and flanges though   that was a sad day.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Are you guys filling your 20l jato cans with a full 5 gallons of gas?  I forgot what I did my last rotation which seemed to work fine and filled them with exactly 5 gallons.  I am now worried about expansion given my grage gets over 100 degrees.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I fill mine to the bottom of the spout neck, and have had no issues here. Also gets to 95+ degrees. The fill amount is slightly more than 5 gallons, if I recall correctly, 5.3.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:34:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#24]
Originally Posted By Dace:
Are you guys filling your 20l jato cans with a full 5 gallons of gas?  I forgot what I did my last rotation which seemed to work fine and filled them with exactly 5 gallons.  I am now worried about expansion given my grage gets over 100 degrees.
View Quote

Expansion is a natural phenomena of the vapor pressure of gasoline, and since you are seeing healthy expansion, that means the important volatile fractions with higher vapor pressures, haven't been lost from your fuel.

Also that you have a good seal. If they don't expand, time to start troubleshooting.

How full you fill the cans isn't relevant as long as they aren't COMPLETLEY filled up [since gasoline isn't compressible and if absolutely full and expanded, seams might burst]

Some folks make the mistake of releasing the vapors when gas cans expand, and that's a horrible mistake.

So pour gas in them whatever you want, don't worry abt how much and seal them GOOD. That's CRITICAL.

The stuff will probably last longer than both of us.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I've seen some scepters that were damn near impossible to open when it got hot out.  eBay has some wrenches that people have made that take care of the leverage needed to open,  I'd never use it to wrench them closed though as you'd put a lot of unnecessary pressure on the gaskets and flanges inside them.

Those are the most common point of failure in the mfcs.  If they made those flanges out of metal, I thing the mfc would be close to perfect.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I may have asked before, but does anyone have a source for the older metal Blitz style cans?  I already have about 4 of them and would prefer to stick to one style.  Alternately, anyone want to trade even up for NATO cans?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Did I score?

Says something like 20-5-74 on the bottom along with USMC
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ShotTherapy_JR:
Did I score?

http://i.imgur.com/GrrYObS.jpg

View Quote

They are the type I'm looking for. BTW, I think the USMC is a maker's mark, not Marine Corps.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By R2point0:

I may have asked before, but does anyone have a source for the older metal Blitz style cans?  I already have about 4 of them and would prefer to stick to one style.  Alternately, anyone want to trade even up for NATO cans?
View Quote
I think this is where asking about trades in the ee and as a last resort even craigslist might work for you.

You know the can you like, others will figure they are getting rid of an old can.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By biere:
I think this is where asking about trades in the ee and as a last resort even craigslist might work for you.

You know the can you like, others will figure they are getting rid of an old can.

View All Quotes

Craigslist has a few, alternating between junk and "GENUINE MARINE CORP USMC SEMPER FI JERRY CAN VIETNAM" etc. for $100.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Craigslist has a few, alternating between junk and "GENUINE MARINE CORP USMC SEMPER FI JERRY CAN VIETNAM" etc. for $100.

View All Quotes

Do you have any swap meets in your area? Could've gotten 4 for $70 from different vendors here
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#32]
USMC = US Metal Can

Or something like that

Renamed

Blitz can company later

Dammit Capy...That could get confusing.

They are the type I'm looking for. BTW, I think the USMC is a maker's mark, not Marine Corps.
View All Quotes
Did I score?

http://i.imgur.com/GrrYObS.jpg

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Do you have any swap meets in your area? Could've gotten 4 for $70 from different vendors here
View All Quotes

Dad keeps an eye out for them at the Leesport swap meet in PA.  Around my place the used market is Craigslist and yard sales.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Been meaning to post my rehab project from the winter, finally got around to it..  

Original condition of cans:

Wire wheeled, sanded, ready for body coat with Rustoleum Regal Red:

Caps were worked patiently with Naval Jelly. Lots and lots of applications, then clear coated.

finally, split vinyl tubing around the bottom seam to keep them from rusting/marking on concrete:

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By airman100:
Been meaning to post my rehab project from the winter, finally got around to it..  

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=76339

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=76340

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=76341

Caps were worked patiently with Naval Jelly. Lots and lots of applications, then clear coated.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=76342

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=76343

finally, split vinyl tubing around the bottom seam to keep them from rusting/marking on concrete:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=76344

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=76345
View Quote

Very nice! I'm impressed!

What was the original condition of the inside? Do anything to fix the inside?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Does anybody know if someone makes a metal flange replacement part for the Scepter MFCs?

The flange is the weak link.  If it was metal the MFC would be perfect.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:27:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#37]
Originally Posted By LTCetme:
Does anybody know if someone makes a metal flange replacement part for the Scepter MFCs?

The flange is the weak link.  If it was metal the MFC would be perfect.
View Quote

In our experience, the flange fails primarily when gasoline is used with NON-Viton gaskets.  Otherwise, no issues for us over many years and diesel and gasoline storage and use.

Except to my knowledge, in a particular case posted here where the flange failed likely due to an out of spec gasket, not supplied by Specter. The actual cause IIRC, was never determined for lack of info from the poster.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

Thankfully, the insides were a little light on coating, but in really good shape, apparently from having been shut tightly for all these years. Can dates were 1973-1974. I cut new gaskets for the caps out of sheet stock from McMaster-Carr with a circle-cutting jig.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Thankfully, the insides were a little light on coating, but in really good shape, apparently from having been shut tightly for all these years. Can dates were 1973-1974. I cut new gaskets for the caps out of sheet stock from McMaster-Carr with a circle-cutting jig.
View All Quotes

Circle cutting jig???

More info?

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Does anyone make a replacement cap/nozzle for the POS that comes on these cans from Harbor Freight?  They are driving me crazy.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Circle cutting jig???

More info?

View All Quotes

Circle cutting jig???

More info?

I can't remember which circle cutter I used, but i'm thinking I used my cheap one:

OLFA CMP-3

Go slow on a self-healing mat, cut the outside dia first, and don't try to cut very deep at one pass- just gradually deeper through the gasket sheet. You'll get a decent edge on the gasket if you don't force the cutter.

it may have been this one though, I don't use it very much:

McMaster-Carr 36795A11

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#42]

I can't remember which circle cutter I used, but i'm thinking I used my cheap one:

OLFA CMP-3

Go slow on a self-healing mat, cut the outside dia first, and don't try to cut very deep at one pass- just gradually deeper through the gasket sheet. You'll get a decent edge on the gasket if you don't force the cutter.

McMaster-Carr 36795A11

View All Quotes

Circle cutting jig???

More info?

OLFA CMP-3

McMaster-Carr 36795A11

Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By spuddicus:
I've seen some scepters that were damn near impossible to open when it got hot out.  eBay has some wrenches that people have made that take care of the leverage needed to open,  I'd never use it to wrench them closed though as you'd put a lot of unnecessary pressure on the gaskets and flanges inside them.

Those are the most common point of failure in the mfcs.  If they made those flanges out of metal, I thing the mfc would be close to perfect.
View Quote

Yeah, dont use the wrenches to tighten them closed.  But the wrenches are handy to have around.  When the cans go through heat cycles the lids can be a bitch.  A strap wrench from any local tool store will work about as well though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:44:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#44]
Originally Posted By DevilPig:

Yeah, dont use the wrenches to tighten them closed.  But the wrenches are handy to have around.  When the cans go through heat cycles the lids can be a bitch.  A strap wrench from any local tool store will work about as well though.
View All Quotes

Store bought strap certainly wrenches work, are a bit awkward, that's what I used to use years ago...

However, the made for Scepter wrenches are a dream if you open many cans in hot wx...

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:52:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Store bought strap certainly wrenches work, are a bit awkward, that's what I used to use years ago...

However, the made for Scepter wrenches are a dream if you open many cans in hot wx...

View All Quotes

Agreed.  For the person who only has one MFC or only occasionally uses them a strap wrench is fine though IMO.  I have 10 MFCs...so I use the wrench.  I prefer the rocking k cap wrench.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Beowulf wrote up a good thread on how to use a nato jerry can as an external fuel tank.  I am including a link to it here, as it expands on the adapter that is briefly mentioned on page 35 of this thread.

NATO fuel can as auxiliary fuel tank
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Case of 4 Authentic Nato 5 Gallon O.d. Jerry Metal Gas Can with Spout and Gaskets
by wavian $50.99
Jerr Cans
What say the Oracle??
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Case of 4 Authentic Nato 5 Gallon O.d. Jerry Metal Gas Can with Spout and Gaskets
by wavian $50.99
Jerr Cans
What say the Oracle??
View Quote

Woah.

My too good to be true alarm is going off.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Woah.

View All Quotes
by wavian $50.99
Jerr Cans
What say the Oracle??

Woah.

Mine to. So I only ordered 32
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Mine too. They are listed as $330/4 with free shipping right now. What gives?

Also, who knows where to get truly good viton seals for the Blitz military cans?

I just read where Blitz went (or is going) out of business due to lawsuits.

Seems some idiot, IMHO, in Idaho poured gas on a fire and the can blew up.

Guy lost his lawsuit but it still cost Blitz $2.5 million.

Liability insurance is too high for them to continue to operate.

IDIOT PEOPLE!!!  
Page / 38
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 21 of 38)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top