BCM
User Panel

Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 20 of 38)
Page / 38
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By blacksuit:
I have recent purchased the disk of vitron instead of buying flanges. Haven't filled the cans yet to try them but don't see why they would work fine.
View Quote

The disks work fine, but tend to fall off when you open the can.

and hopefully there is enough of the flange left to hold the cap strap on......
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:16:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Senorx] [#2]
Originally Posted By wshbrngr:

I would contact the jagmte guy and see what he has to say.
I wonder if this is his website? http://www.jagmte.com/

He could have sent you the wrong gaskets by mistake.
he does have 100% positive feedback on e-Bay.
View Quote

That would be him. I have reached out to him and I'll see what he has to say.

On another note, does Vatopa take a bit to replie?  I haven't heard anything back from him about ordereding some Viton gaskets yet.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By LTCetme:
From jagmte.com:

Anyone have insight on this statement? Doesn't DRMO sell these all the time?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LTCetme:
From jagmte.com:

The newer post ban cans that say "For Military Use Only" cannot legally be possessed by a civilian and are subject to seizure {if you happen to run into a real hardass}.

Anyone have insight on this statement? Doesn't DRMO sell these all the time?

And WHO exactly is going to be seizing these?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Received the following email response from the folks I bought my Viton gaskets from:

The only gaskets we sell are viton, and even in the cans we sell with the yellow straps for diesel have the viton gaskets in them...  That said, the flanges are the week point on the can.  Over tightening of the can can cause the flange to crack even with a viton gasket.  Did you order the aftermarket gaskets or OEM?  We designed the aftermarket gasket a little different to help alleviate the cracking issue by making the inside diameter larger so it doesn't pop the ring off, and making the durometer harder so it doesn't "squish out" as much.  But, that only helps, does not cure.... I wish I had a better answer, we occasionally have to replace the flanges in our cans even with original OEM and Aftermarket gaskets installed.  :(

Hope this answered your question,
have a great night,
Jenny

JAGMTE
just a guy making things easier
www.jagmte.com
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:50:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#5]
I think there's a little bull shit in that post...  

Maybe if the gasket diameter is different from the OEM, or the durometer is different, then maybe.

How many folks have you heard having issues with OEM gaskets????

Over-tightening them -Ha, what abt a gorilla in the .mil, don't think so...

Using cap wrenches ---nope, doesn't happen for us...

I CAN SEE, if the ID of the aftermarket gasket is cut a hair too small, then possibility upon tightening, it could crack the flange.

What's the ID of your gaskets, vs OEM???

Time to get out the vernier calipers, a tape measure ain't going to cut it...

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Senorx:
On another note, does Vatopa take a bit to replie?  I haven't heard anything back from him about ordereding some Viton gaskets yet.
View Quote

I remember him being pretty quick.

I looked him up and he last logged on yesterday, so he is still around.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, I have skimmed through this thread. Can someone please tell me the place to get the highest quality of Nato cans? I am not concerned about saving $10.00 a piece. I just want high quality, new, non-chinese Nato cans with the small Nato mouth. Thank you

The ones from prep and more sound nice, do they have the viton gasket?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DueNorth:
Ok, I have skimmed through this thread. Can someone please tell me the place to get the highest quality of Nato cans? I am not concerned about saving $10.00 a piece. I just want high quality, new, non-chinese Nato cans with the small Nato mouth. Thank you

View Quote

I have got them from both Atlantic British and Lexington Container Co and have had no issues with them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

I have bought from Atlantic British. Those cans are good to go.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I ordered 4 cans from prep and more about a year ago.  Filled the cans with gasoline as soon as I got them, no issues to report.  I like them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

NATO cans that have the cam-lock pop-top cap do not need viton gaskets.  
American GI STEEL fuel cans and Blitz brand steel GI fuel cans do not need viton gaskets

Old Grouch and Atlantic British sell good gaskets for NATO cans, and you can make gaskets for steel GI cans from gasket cork from the auto parts store.

The PLASTIC Scepter MFC cans need viton gaskets.

Only buy viton from a reputable vendor...stay the hell away from ebay, amazon, craigslist, etc.
Try contacting vatopa for viton if you need viton

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By PA22-400:

Only buy viton from a reputable vendor...stay the hell away from ebay, amazon, craigslist, etc.

View Quote

+1 I bought my gaskets off of eBay.  I ended up buying more from Vatopa anyway.  I should have just bought them from him in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:03:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tallhorse89] [#13]

American GI STEEL fuel cans and Blitz brand steel GI fuel cans do not need viton gaskets

Old Grouch and Atlantic British sell good gaskets for NATO cans, and you can make gaskets for steel GI cans from gasket cork from the auto parts store.

View All Quotes

so what is the advantages of the plastic cans
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#14]
"The PLASTIC Scepter MFC cans need viton gaskets."

For gasoline not diesel.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:18:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tallhorse89:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tallhorse89:

well, plastic doesn't rust or dent like the metal cans
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
"The PLASTIC Scepter MFC cans need viton gaskets."

For gasoline not diesel.

View Quote

Try getting that idea across to auntie Edna

Uncle Harold got her to put diesel in the brodoser PowerStrokeDuramaxCummins by teaching "The Gas From the GREEN HANDLE"  

Ya wanna know how far a '57 Fairlane runs on diesel...Uncle Harold had that car restored and shined too.

IMHO
Viton is cheap insurance for Scepter MFC

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:22:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Need some advice from people in the desert: plastic cans, or metal cans?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TobyLazur:
View Quote

In nit the desert, but summers here are crazy hot. And I have both, the metal cans do not swell nearly as much as plastic. I keep two metal NATO cans with diesel in my diamond plate box for road emergencies (like getting stranded in a snow storm)
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

In nit the desert, but summers here are crazy hot. And I have both, the metal cans do not swell nearly as much as plastic. I keep two metal NATO cans with diesel in my diamond plate box for road emergencies (like getting stranded in a snow storm)
View All Quotes

Follow on question:  Why are plastic MFC (Scepter) so much more expensive than the metal ones?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I've heard the swelling gets bad enough that they won't fit into carriers, or won't come out of carriers.  Maybe I just need to get NATO cans.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:27:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Slimbone:

Follow on question:  Why are plastic MFC (Scepter) so much more expensive than the metal ones?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Slimbone:

Only one manufacturer and they won't "skirt" the rules like several other NATO can manufacturer's are doing
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:20:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wshbrngr] [#22]
View Quote

The scepters do not swell that much.  
I have several and while I don't consider myself living in the desert,
Sometimes in the summer, it sure feels like it.
The scepters appear to work well in a wide range of weather conditions.  

That being said, I would buy whichever one you can get cheaper.

The scepters are really only expensive here, due to CARB regulations.  
So you are dealing pretty much with third party vendors, vs. someone who is importing them.  
I don't think they are particularly expensive in Canada.  

I prefer the scepters because they do not dent or rust.  
But then,
I also bought mine brand new several years ago for way less than half what the NATO cans are
going for now and got the viton gaskets from Vatopa.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Eagle UI-50-FS 5 Gallon Galvanized Steel Type 1 Gasoline Safety Can with Funnel, Red
$27.99
http://tools.woot.com/offers/5-gallon-galvanized-steel-gas-can-red-12?ref=gh_tg_5_d_ph
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:33:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#24]
Originally Posted By BUCK1911:
Eagle UI-50-FS 5 Gallon Galvanized Steel Type 1 Gasoline Safety Can with Funnel, Red
$27.99
http://tools.woot.com/offers/5-gallon-galvanized-steel-gas-can-red-12?ref=gh_tg_5_d_ph
View Quote

The issue with these cans is:

Quote from specs...

"•Spout cap self-closes to help prevent leaks or spills; cap assembly opens automatically to vent internal vapors"

This likely means that at elevated temperatures, volatile fractions are likely to be lost, causing gasoline to go 'sour'  i.e., commonly known by folks who have only a barely passing understanding of the subject...  

...as "Bad Gas"

Still an excellent old-timey price for a can that has important uses -besides long term storing of gasoline.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quote from specs...

"•Spout cap self-closes to help prevent leaks or spills; cap assembly opens automatically to vent internal vapors"

This likely means that at elevated temperatures, volatile fractions are likely to be lost, causing gasoline to go 'sour'  i.e., commonly known by folks who have only a barely passing understanding of the subject...  

...as "Bad Gas"

Still an excellent old-timey price for a can that has important uses -besides long term storing of gasoline.

View All Quotes
$27.99

Quote from specs...

...as "Bad Gas"

Will shit I didn't see that... I know own 3 more crappy cans
I wonder if I can fix them?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:19:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#26]
They'll work fine for shorter term storage for lawn equipment etc, are likely far better and safer than plastic generic cans.

Be sure to store them properly to avoid rust on the bottoms, by not setting directly on the ground, concrete, etc. Let the bottoms breathe.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#27]
They'll work fine for shorter term storage for lawn equipment etc, are likely far better and safer than plastic generic cans.

Be sure to store them properly to avoid rust on the bottoms, by not setting directly on the ground, concrete, etc. Let the bottoms breathe.
View Quote

Good advice.

Applies to all metal cans.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:24:28 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes
$27.99

Quote from specs...

...as "Bad Gas"

Update: They are crap. better than my plastic cans for every day use but nothing I can count on..
I think I am going to put in some 500gal tanks is there a thread for that?
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:18:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#29]
There were some threads a while back.

Your best bet for large qty storage of gasoline [to store it at up to 10 psi or so, so volatile fractions aren't lost] is to repurpose a propane tank in the 120 gallon to 500 gallon sizes.

Even smaller propane tanks make a lot of sense for gasoline storage.

Make sure you have a suitable pressure relief valve in case the tanks are exposed to a fire.

I wouldn't store gasoline in conventional barrels [but would consider them suitable for diesel or kerosene storage]

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#30]
There were some threads a while back.

Your best bet for large qty storage of gasoline [to store it at up to 10 psi or so, so volatile fractions aren't lost] is to repurpose a propane tank in the 120 gallon to 500 gallon sizes.

Even smaller propane tanks make a lot of sense for gasoline storage.

Make sure you have a suitable pressure relief valve in case the tanks are exposed to a fire.

I wouldn't store gasoline in conventional barrels [but would consider them suitable for diesel or kerosene storage]

View Quote

I have searched with no luck.
I picked up 4 500 gal tanks at auction a while back and haven't done any thing with them because the open venting that they all use keeps throwing up red flags in my mind.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 9:10:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#31]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#32]
The excess gallon is excellent, if you find these types of pre-epa beers purchase some.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Yesterday I unpacked the remainder and i am guessing Fedex allow it to decrease on one side from the box or something like that. The main one with that facet includes a bigger ding.. Nonetheless I used to be providing two as a present to certainly one of my excellent pals with a totally reconditioned 4x4 for his or her special birthday.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:47:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Phlather] [#35]

199.00 minimum order for a 10% discount as well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#36]

I have ordered from them before, the cans are great quality.  I also ordered extra seals from them.  They shipped them to me, but the package had a different name.  I returned the package.  They told me they were charging me a 20% fee for restocking, even though it was their fault.  They were real assholes about it.  They have lost my business.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Issues with my scepters...In anticipation of a upcoming move I've been rotating my 15 scepters through my vehicles. 12 of 15 busted the flanges, and vented about 1/6 of the gas out. I'm using vitton gaskets, gas was stored in a outdoor shed. I'm pretty disappointed. I'll have to order new solid gaskets. Underscores the importance of storing fuel in a well ventilated area away from the home. That could potentially been a lot of fumes in a closed garage.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:03:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#38]
Originally Posted By ROTCatCU:
Issues with my scepters...In anticipation of a upcoming move I've been rotating my 15 scepters through my vehicles. 12 of 15 busted the flanges, and vented about 1/6 of the gas out. I'm using vitton gaskets, gas was stored in a outdoor shed. I'm pretty disappointed. I'll have to order new solid gaskets. Underscores the importance of storing fuel in a well ventilated area away from the home. That could potentially been a lot of fumes in a closed garage.
View Quote

I don't understand how busted flanges would vent the gasoline, considering how the caps are constructed.

Also, someone above a page or so had some supposedly Viton gaskets that--- IIRC, he replaced the standard gaskets with, and the new NON-OEM ones [from a vendor here, don't remember] caused his flanges to break also.

I think they were made to a nonstandard size and would have busted the flanges if the cans didn't have anything in them.  

Pretty expensive situation...

Best is to order the Viton gaskets from the co in Canada that sells parts and I think there is one reputable seller here.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

I don't understand how busted flanges would vent the gasoline, considering how the caps are constructed.

Also, someone above a page or so had some supposedly Viton gaskets that--- IIRC, he replaced the standard gaskets with, and the new NON-OEM ones [from a vendor here, don't remember] caused his flanges to break also.

I think they were made to a nonstandard size and would have busted the flanges if the cans didn't have anything in them.  

Best is to order the Viton gaskets from the co in Canada that sells parts and I think there is one reputable seller here.
View Quote

Member named Senorx (page 38 of this thread) had problems with viton gaskets purchased on e-Bay from someone named jagmte.

I purchased viton gaskets from a member here named vatopa, no problems after several years of hard use.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#40]

Member named Senorx (page 38 of this thread) had problems with viton gaskets purchased on e-Bay from someone named jagmte.

I purchased viton gaskets from a member here named vatopa, no problems after several years of hard use.
View All Quotes

Same here. I bought from that Ebay seller and then replaced them with ones from vatopa.

I can verify vatopa as a seller of quality real viton gaskets.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:57:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LTCetme] [#41]
Nm edit
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Can anyone tell me if the jerry cans from sportsmansguide.com  are any good?
U.S. Military-style 20L (5 1/4-gal.) Jerry Can, Olive Drab 26.99
Link
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:06:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wshbrngr] [#43]
Link
Thanks
View Quote

Those are Chinese cans.

They are NOT U.S. military style.....   they are NATO style.
"style" meaning they are cheap copies from China.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Those are Chinese cans.

View All Quotes
Link
Thanks

Those are Chinese cans.

well that sucks. I take it be $35 one they sell is also junk?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:29:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wshbrngr] [#45]

View All Quotes
Link
Thanks

Those are Chinese cans.

I dunno for sure, but if you are going to spend $35ea., you should just watch for a sale on real deal cans.

ETA: and I am not a fan of the NATO cans, I prefer Scepter MFC's,
but at this point, they are probably the best option.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I found a company that carries the 5, 2 1/2 and 1 gallon size of Nato type fuel cans. The company itself seems like a pretty large outfit that primarily supplies generators and phase converters, and along with their other products, carries the fuel cans. The prices are decent, and they also carry it in red and yellow.

Temco fuel cans

Not much information about the manufacturer of the cans, they claim to be Nato spec, and include spec sheets from Australia/New Zealand. The only item I can notice to be different is that they do not have the metal pin that secures the lid closed.

Anyone else have any experience with these items?

My view is that they are a decent item if they are identical in spec and spout size to cans by Atlantic British and similar companies.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:52:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#47]
Old Grouch still has some of the best real-thing cans. Plus he is a member here. IMHO, they are worth the extra $15. The red ones are real purty.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:19:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Repairman_Jack] [#48]

I dunno for sure, but if you are going to spend $35ea., you should just watch for a sale on real deal cans.

View All Quotes
Link
Thanks

Those are Chinese cans.

Those $35 NATO cans are the real deal, but they have a different size opening than the standard can.

Regular spouts won't work with them and spouts that fit have been impossible to find UNTIL NOW!!  
Looks like SG has finally found a supplier.
You can pre-order spouts for the new NATO cans, looks like they're expecting them around April 6th. LINK
They look nice, I went ahead and ordered one as I have a couple of the NATO cans already.  
I just use a shaker siphon usually, but figured having one wouldn't hurt.

Here's a pic of the spout. Note - this model will only fit the new NATO cans, NOT the "NATO-style" or "military-style" they also offer.
There is a different spout for those.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I think that's a donkey dick and old grouch probably has them too.

Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:

Those $35 NATO cans are the real deal, but they have a different size opening than the standard can.

Regular spouts won't work with them and spouts that fit have been impossible to find UNTIL NOW!!  
You can pre-order spouts for the new NATO cans, looks like they're expecting them around April 6th. LINK
They look nice, I went ahead and ordered one as I have a couple of the NATO cans already.  

Here's a pic of the spout. Note - this model will only fit the new NATO cans, NOT the "NATO-style" or "military-style" they also offer.

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/5/597899_ts.jpg

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:
Link
Thanks

Those are Chinese cans.

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/5/597899_ts.jpg

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:12:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Hey,what happens if you place the can on a treadmill?
Page / 38
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 20 of 38)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top