BCM
User Panel

Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 37 of 38)
Page / 38
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Darcy:
https://untilgone.com/products/5-gallon-cold-rolled-plate-petrol-diesel-gas-jerry-can.html

Just got this deal in an email. 5 gallon cold rolled can, $49.99
View Quote

They have this one also, both have free shipping:
5-Gallon with spout

Anybody have any experience with “UntilGone.com”?
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 10999:

5-Gallon with spout

View Quote

I've bought a ton of stuff from them. All comes exactly as advertised.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#3]

5-Gallon with spout

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
https://untilgone.com/products/5-gallon-cold-rolled-plate-petrol-diesel-gas-jerry-can.html

5-Gallon with spout

I like your link doesn't have the plastic vent
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Fine, I'll get 4 of your link. Where I live, plastic dies. I have 6 scepter plastic cans that have all split at the seams from heat/UV/expansion.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#5]

5-Gallon with spout

View All Quotes

5-Gallon with spout

Both of these are junk chinese cans that will leak, split, and rust in no time.

Wavian/Valpro is the only NATO can I would buy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 10:55:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#6]

View Quote

Chinese garbage.

No knowledge of the seller but those cans aren’t worth $5. Save your money. Buy real NATO cans if you want metal cans.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Not doubting anyones assessment, but I already ordered one.  I’ll report back when it gets here.  Might be complete chinesium, might be marginally ok.  We’ll see in a week or so…
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Not doubting anyones assessment, but I already ordered one.  I’ll report back when it gets here.  Might be complete chinesium, might be marginally ok.  We’ll see in a week or so…
View Quote

Like to learn the hard way??

Just kidding. Keep a close eye on it. Many of those Chinese cans start leaking at the seams unexpectedly (some leak when new too). Those caps also don’t usually seal very well. If you’re storing a very flammable fuel like gasoline in it, don’t store it inside a building….at least not a building you care about.

Since good NATO cans aren’t much more expensive, that’s the route I recommend to anyone who wants metal cans. Those Eagle Safety cans are quality too I just find round cans don’t store very compact compared to NATO cans. They are high quality though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got 4 cans from Jerrycan.com,  Are these gtg for gasoline?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Jeff_1:
I just got 4 cans from Jerrycan.com,  Are these gtg for gasoline?
View Quote

Those are GELG cans.  Made in Poland I believe.  Good cans.  I like the Wavian/Valpro cans slightly better but both are quality cans.  I would use either without hesitation.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#11]
20L Wavian cans are back in stock as of 21-Feb at www.roverparts.com
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

Those are GELG cans.  Made in Poland I believe.  Good cans.  I like the Wavian/Valpro cans slightly better but both are quality cans.  I would use either without hesitation.
View Quote

Agreed. I had a couple of GELG's...  they are better than chinese knockoffs, but I wasn't impressed... sold them and now stick exclusively with Wavian.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Just kidding. Keep a close eye on it. Many of those Chinese cans start leaking at the seams unexpectedly (some leak when new too). Those caps also don’t usually seal very well. If you’re storing a very flammable fuel like gasoline in it, don’t store it inside a building….at least not a building you care about.

Since good NATO cans aren’t much more expensive, that’s the route I recommend to anyone who wants metal cans. Those Eagle Safety cans are quality too I just find round cans don’t store very compact compared to NATO cans. They are high quality though.
View All Quotes

Rcvd the can today, already asked for a return authorization.  Can has corrosion in internal seams, can’t tell if it’s even coated inside.  See pics.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Dang. I’ll report back as well, expecting mine soon. Good catch on the internal corrosion. I don’t feel like testing my diesel filters with that crap.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Good to hear first hand accounts!  Definitely doesn't look coated with anything.  

It's unfortunate.  The Chinese can make good stuff if they want to but I don't know if anyone has had good results with the Chinese fuel cans.  Maybe your post will help someone else avoid them.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Anybody recognize this jerrycan trademark?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#17]
That appears to be a United Nations marking. See here, it also explains the accompanying codes:
https://www.labelmaster.com/un-markings#:~:text=United%20Nations%20Symbol,as%20an%20uppercase%20%22UN%22.
My Wavian/Valpro cans have similar markings.

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:01:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10999] [#18]
Thank you and damn, I should have looked harder.  Appreciate the link.

Bought five today off Craigslist.  Used the scope to check out the interiors, nice and red coated, no rust  one had some rust on the handle. One is brand new.  Only three spouts though.

Paid $100 and I was the only caller.  Seller was just happy to have them gone.  They’d been listed for over a week.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Bought five today off Craigslist.  Used the scope to check out the interiors, nice and red coated, no rust  one had some rust on the handle. One is brand new.  Only three spouts though.

Paid $100 and I was the only caller.  Seller was just happy to have them gone.  They'd been listed for over a week.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179919/image_jpg-2722044.JPG
View Quote

Five for $100? Assuming all are in good shape (as they appear to be), that is a very good deal.

If your cans are Wavian-branded cans, they will say so right on at least one of the sides. You will see "Wavian" pressed into the can at center (link). Similarly, if it is a Valpro-branded can, you will see a stylized "V" at center on the side of the can (link). Valpro manufactures the Wavian cans in Latvia. They are essentially the same. The warning stickers visible in your photo closely resemble those on Wavian cans.

I wouldn't worry too much about the spouts, you can only pour one at time. If you are considering buying a couple of more spouts, and those cans are Wavian/Valpro cans, consider the long spout OEM Wavian/Valpro type, though they are still a bit pricey (link). I've taken to using a Terra Pump the past couple of years (link). It works very nicely with the cans, but it is about $20+ more than it was when I bought mine a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TLWrench:

Five for $100? Assuming all are in good shape (as they appear to be), that is a very good deal.

If your cans are Wavian-branded cans, they will say so right on at least one of the sides. You will see "Wavian" pressed into the can at center (link). Similarly, if it is a Valpro-branded can, you will see a stylized "V" at center on the side of the can (link). Valpro manufactures the Wavian cans in Latvia. They are essentially the same. The warning stickers visible in your photo closely resemble those on Wavian cans.

I wouldn't worry too much about the spouts, you can only pour one at time. If you are considering buying a couple of more spouts, and those cans are Wavian/Valpro cans, consider the long spout OEM Wavian/Valpro type, though they are still a bit pricey (link). I've taken to using a Terra Pump the past couple of years (link). It works very nicely with the cans, but it is about $20+ more than it was when I bought mine a couple years ago.
View All Quotes

Paid $100 and I was the only caller.  Seller was just happy to have them gone.  They'd been listed for over a week.  

No marks on either side (on any of them).  I was willing to take the risk because we’re nice and heavy, lined, all the welds were pretty clean,just looked good overall. No marks though.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#21]

No marks on either side (on any of them).  I was willing to take the risk because we're nice and heavy, lined, all the welds were pretty clean,just looked good overall. No marks though.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179919/image_jpg-2722104.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179919/image_jpg-2722105.JPG
View All Quotes

No marks on either side (on any of them).  I was willing to take the risk because we're nice and heavy, lined, all the welds were pretty clean,just looked good overall. No marks though.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179919/image_jpg-2722104.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179919/image_jpg-2722105.JPG
The welds, warning sticker, year of manufacture marking on the cap hinge, red interior coating, and the "Made in Latvia" sticker (assuming it is legit) would point towards Valpro manufacture. Congrats.

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Paid $100 and I was the only caller.  Seller was just happy to have them gone.  They’d been listed for over a week.  

View Quote

You got a good deal. Good cans
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Received my Chinese cans today. One had the tiniest amount of surface corrosion in the neck, that I wiped off with my finger. I scoped all 4 and they were clean as a whistle inside, and are glossy as if they are coated. All of them released pressurized air when I opened the seal (I'm at about 2,000' MSL). Paint looks good.

I'm gonna fill them with diesel and make use of them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Received my Chinese cans today. One had the tiniest amount of surface corrosion in the neck, that I wiped off with my finger. I scoped all 4 and they were clean as a whistle inside, and are glossy as if they are coated. All of them released pressurized air when I opened the seal (I'm at about 2,000' MSL). Paint looks good.

I'm gonna fill them with diesel and make use of them.
View Quote

That’s awesome!  Glad they’re clean.

They refunded my money, but didn’t want it back.  The local shop that cleans and lines fuel tanks said he’d do it for $15, so I’m going to do that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:23:56 AM EDT
[#25]

That’s awesome!  Glad they’re clean.

They refunded my money, but didn’t want it back.  The local shop that cleans and lines fuel tanks said he’d do it for $15, so I’m going to do that.
View Quote

Oh dang that’s awesome!
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn this thread! I now own 8 cans because of this thread lol.

I have 4 Gelg and 4 Wavian.  My impressions of these cans are the Wavian feels a little heavier although I haven't put on scales yet but probably will, Has a pin that you won't lose, Stinks inside from whatever its coated with, and just feels a little better maybe.  The Gelg seems like a quality can from what I can tell, it is fully painted inside but doesn't have the smell the Wavian has, Spot welds on the handles are kind of more noticeable after getting the Wavian.

These 2 brands will serve me perfectly I believe.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 2:18:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I think I have 14 Wavian/Valpro 20L cans for gas and another 5 for diesel. Also have a 10L can for filling smaller engines like my pressure washer and a 5L can for 2cycle mix. I think I’m in pretty good shape. I’ve thought about getting a few more and just store them empty that way, if there is a warning about a pending shortage or outage, I can fill them just for that event. I probably won’t though. At some point you have to decide enough is enough. I think I’m probably there.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 10:27:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vengeance6661] [#28]
What do I have here? This has been sitting in storage since Obama days.  Unfortunately I need to sell cuz I need the $$$.

Link Posted: 4/8/2023 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#29]
That's a Valpro can.  Good can.  Looks like it's in good shape.  With a spout new they are about $70ish.  Used, I think it's worth about $30-50 with the spout but I'd also guess very few people would pay that much since they can buy a cheap can at Walmart for less (most people don't know the value of good cans).
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 6:52:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I got three old military cans at a garage sale. They need cleaning out. What is the best way to clean them? Could be some rust and degraded lining.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone ever hear of "Essence" brand before? This thing has to be old.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Who likes the VP racing cans for gas?

I have a handful of wavian 20L and a 5 and 10L but thought Imi can get more can for my money for keeping fuel around for maths generator or tractor at home if I get the plastic VP racing cans.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Vengeance6661:

https://i.postimg.cc/1Xdn1fGw/PXL-20230411-212332200.jpg
View Quote

Those look just like the cans Walmart used to sell. Not worth much and I wouldn’t use them to store gas I wanted to keep for awhile. Short term they would be ok.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:06:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By mcooper:

I have a handful of wavian 20L and a 5 and 10L but thought Imi can get more can for my money for keeping fuel around for maths generator or tractor at home if I get the plastic VP racing cans.
View Quote

Personally I prefer metal cans. That said, everyone I know who has them, likes them. They are popular in the ATV/UTV off roading areas I frequent.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:54:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#35]
Originally Posted By Vengeance6661:

https://i.postimg.cc/1Xdn1fGw/PXL-20230411-212332200.jpg
View Quote

That just means it is made for gasoline, not a brand by itself.  French- for canucks...   Gott/Rubbermaid cans also say essence on them.

Dictionary definition:

1. (= carburant) petrol (Brit) ⧫ gas (USA) ⧫ gasoline (USA). prendre de l'essence to get some petrol (Brit) ⧫ to get some gas (USA) · 2. (= extrait de plante) .
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I need a couple new cans for my little bx tractor. I don't want military cans for this. Liners have aggravated me with my last 4.

I use a super siphon, so I don't really care about the compliance garbage.

What do you guys recommend? I haven't shopped cans in ages.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By mcooper:

View Quote

I was just looking at these in yellow. Several reviews indicated bad bottom seals.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:26:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#38]
Originally Posted By Undaunted:
I need a couple new cans for my little bx tractor. I don't want military cans for this. Liners have aggravated me with my last 4.

I use a super siphon, so I don't really care about the compliance garbage.

What do you guys recommend? I haven't shopped cans in ages.
View Quote

I still recommend the NATO cans. If you want plastic, try to find some good shape MFC cans. They are the US standard and are plastic. FYI….they won’t be cheap. New ones aren’t sold in the US so you’ll have to get used ones almost certainly. Used ones won’t be cheap either.

If you don’t want NATO or MFC cans then look at Eagle cans for metal or VP cans for plastic.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#39]

I still recommend the NATO cans. If you want plastic, try to find some good shape MFC cans. They are the US standard and are plastic. FYI….they won’t be cheap. New ones aren’t sold in the US so you’ll have to get used ones almost certainly. Used ones won’t be cheap either.

If you don’t want NATO or MFC cans then look at Eagle cans for metal or VP cans for plastic.
View Quote

I appreciate the input. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 10:50:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grizbacker] [#40]
Any good deals out there right now on red wavian 20L cans with spout? Can’t remember the best websites you guys have been getting them from

Is this a rebranded wavian can? Looks almost identical and the description seems to suggest it. Seems like a good price.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/best-made-20l-steel-jerry-can-B2353.html?&srccode=GPSMART&ogmap=PLA%7CNB%7CGOOG%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C18284927928%7C&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2v-3-LqP_wIVFiStBh1UQgWfEAQYASABEgKSv_D_BwE
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:51:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#41]
Originally Posted By Grizbacker:
Any good deals out there right now on red wavian 20L cans with spout? Can’t remember the best websites you guys have been getting them from

Is this a rebranded wavian can? Looks almost identical and the description seems to suggest it. Seems like a good price.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/best-made-20l-steel-jerry-can-B2353.html?&srccode=GPSMART&ogmap=PLA%7CNB%7CGOOG%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C18284927928%7C&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2v-3-LqP_wIVFiStBh1UQgWfEAQYASABEgKSv_D_BwE
View Quote

I have not seen that particular brand but it does appear to be a NATO can based on the appearance and description.

Atlantic British has red NATO cans. Price is higher but I don’t know how shipping compares. Those stupid CARB nozzles add a lot to the price of the cans unfortunately.

You could always buy the green cans and repaint them red if it’s that important to you.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#42]
I just bought a Midwest Can Company #5810 (Valpro - made) NATO-type 20L can from Tractor Supply for around $61 with tax.

Tractor Supply NATO Can

It has the screw-on spout rather that the traditional clamp-style. Bought it for my lawnmower and generators. Appears to be very well made; I'll try to find an alternate nozzle assembly very soon. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Glynn863:
I just bought a Midwest Can Company #5810 (Valpro - made) NATO-type 20L can from Tractor Supply for around $61 with tax.

Tractor Supply NATO Can

It has the screw-on spout rather that the traditional clamp-style. Bought it for my lawnmower and generators. Appears to be very well made; I'll try to find an alternate nozzle assembly very soon. Any suggestions?
View Quote
These have been on sale for as low as #30 at Harbor Freight.  

Just buy a shaker hose and be done.

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By bassackwards:
These have been on sale for as low as #30 at Harbor Freight.  

Just buy a shaker hose and be done.

View Quote

Current price at HF is $59.99, but they have a 25% off coupon for this weekend. Sadly though, none available anywhere close in my AO.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:26:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bassackwards] [#45]

Current price at HF is $59.99, but they have a 25% off coupon for this weekend. Sadly though, none available anywhere close in my AO.
View Quote

I'm sure they raised the price to coincide with the 25% off coupon.

You still want a shaker hose, they are awesome
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#46]

Tractor Supply NATO Can

View Quote

I don’t own any so no first hand experience but, I would be concerned about the ability of that cap to hold pressure. You want to keep pressure in your cans to keep the important stuff from evaporating.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#47]

I don’t own any so no first hand experience but, I would be concerned about the ability of that cap to hold pressure. You want to keep pressure in your cans to keep the important stuff from evaporating.
View All Quotes

Tractor Supply NATO Can

Buy the solid replacement caps. I have them on my screw type nato cans and they work great.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Where's the current go to place for wavian/Valero jerry cans?  It looks like $79 is the best price out there these days.  Wow have they jumped in price since I last bought some 5 years ago. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:59:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#49]
Yikes. Prices have jumped. There are the usual places, Atlantic British, Deutsche Optik. Old Grouch's Military Surplus was a member here (Garrand-Shooter? or something). He had great cans, even the red ones at one time. He was slow to ship but the cans were beautiful. I don't see them on their web site anymore.  I'm glad I bought them when I did. I think I paid $200 for four of the red ones, shipped. Also have eight of the green ones. I think I bought all of them from those three aforementioned places.

The prices are what they are, nowdays. You will have to evaluate what you will spend for the can, plus the shipping. If it is even close to $100 each, then I might consider these on Amazon. They are red (which is nice), says they are coated, and shipping is included.
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Maybe try one and see how good it is. Good luck.

ETA: I see they have a 2-pack for a bit cheaper/per.
MissingImage

and a 4-pack for $89 each, red, includes shipping, and states "Wavian."
MissingImage

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#50]
I won 4 red Blitz cans at an auction this past week. Even got two nozzles, they were still in plastic wrap too.
Page / 38
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 37 of 38)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top